Listing of Arizona Death Row Inmates J - R

Started by Jeff1857, May 23, 2009, 07:35:36 AM

previous topic - next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Go Down


May 23, 2009, 07:35:36 AM Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 07:09:52 AM by Jeff1857
Steven C. James
On November 16, 1981, Juan Maya picked up 14-year-old Marty Norton and made homosexual advances towards him. Norton rebuffed Maya, but suggested that he might find a more hospitable reception in a trailer belonging to James. When Maya followed Norton into the trailer, James, Lawrence Libberton, and Norton took turns beating him.
The three then forced Maya into the back seat of his own car and drove toward Salome, where James' parents owned some property with an abandoned mine shaft on it. En route, a police officer stopped them but Libberton threatened to kill Maya if he attempted to draw the officer's attention.
After arriving at the Salome property around dawn, James ordered Maya to step up to the mine shaft. As Maya pleaded for his life, James fired directly at him from a distance of less than five feet. Maya charged James and tried to get the gun, so Libberton and Norton began striking Maya with large rocks and a board.
After Maya fell to the ground, they fired point blank at him three more times. Nothing came out of the pistol because the barrel was fouled with debris. They then dragged Maya to the mine shaft and threw him in, dropping rocks and railroad ties on top of him. Norton pled to several charges as a juvenile and testified against Libberton and James.

Ruben Myron Johnson
On November 15, 2000, Ruben N. Johnson shot and killed Stephanie Smith to prevent her from testifying against Jarvis Ross. Stephanie Smith was shot and killed in her home in front of her four year old son while her other children were asleep in the home.

Barry L. Jones
On May 30, 1996, Robert Jones and Scott Nordstrom entered the Moon Smoke Shop in Tucson. Jones immediately shot a customer in the head. One employee escaped, another was injured and a third was not hit. A fourth employee was executed by Scott Nordstrom with two shots to the head. Money was taken, which was shared with lookout David Nordstrom. On June 13, 1996, Robert Jones and Scott Nordstrom entered the Firefighters Union Hall in Tucson. Three customers were executed with shots to the head by Jones, and a wallet taken from one of them. The bartender was shot dead by Nordstrom after being unable to open a safe; money was taken from a cash register. Both cases were solved when David Nordstrom contacted the police.

Danny Lee Jones
On March 26, 1992, Jones and Robert Weaver were visiting in Weaver's garage. Inside the home, Weaver's 74-year-old grandmother, Katherine Gumina, sat watching television while Weaver's 7-year-old daughter, Tisha, lay on the floor, doing some school work. At about 8:40 p.m., Jones attacked an unsuspecting Weaver from behind, striking him once in the head with a bat as Weaver sat on an inverted bucket in the garage. Once Weaver was down, Jones entered the home, walked to the living room and attacked Gumina. Tisha immediately fled to her parents' bedroom, where she hid under the bed. Leaving Gumina for dead, Jones searched the house for Tisha. Upon finding her, Jones dragged Tisha out from under the bed and struck her twice in the head. Jones then strangled her. Once Tisha was dead, Jones raided Weaver's gun cabinet, stealing his gun collection. Jones then took the keys to Gumina's car and proceeded out to the garage to place the guns in the car. There, Jones found that Weaver had regained consciousness. Jones, still armed with the bat, chased Weaver as he attempted to flee. Upon catching Weaver, Jones inflicted three more blows to his head. Once Weaver was down, Jones inflicted two additional blows. After loading the guns into Gumina's car, Jones fled.
Update: 9th Circuit Tossed Death Sentence 10/2/09.

Robert Jones
Jones was charged with sexual assault, three counts of child abuse, and the murder of Rachel Gray, age four. In April 1994, Rachel's mother and her three children were living with Jones. On the afternoon of May 1, 1994, while she was asleep, Jones took Rachel out of the house in his van, and was later seen hitting her with his hand and elbow.
When the mother awoke, she discovered that Rachel's head was cut and she was bleeding. Jones said that Rachel cut her head when some neighbor children pushed her down. Rachel continued to bleed and throw up during the night, but Jones would not let Angela take her to the hospital.
By the time Rachel was taken to the hospital, she was dead as the result of a ruptured intestine. The jurors found Jones guilty of all five counts. In addition to the sentence of death for the murder, the trial court sentenced Jones to concurrent sentences totaling 35 years for the first three counts, and a consecutive sentence of life with no parole eligibility for 35 years for the fourth count.

George Russell Kayer
George Kayer who was wanted for violating his probation, borrowed money from his friend, Delbert L. Haas, so he could gamble in Laughlin. Kayer's girlfriend, Lisa Dawn Kester, went with Kayer and Haas to Laughlin where Kayer lost all his money in heavy gambling.
Kayer told Haas, however, that he had won big, but his winnings had been stolen from him. Prior to returning to Arizona, Kayer told his girlfriend that they were going to rob Haas and then kill him. When they stopped in Kingman for some beer, Kayer armed himself with a hand gun. Later, they turned off the Interstate and drove into some woods so the victim could relieve himself.
Kayer got out of the van and shot Delbert Haas in the back of the head. He returned to the van with Haas' wallet, watch, and some jewelry. He and his girlfriend drove a short distance, then Kayer returned to the scene to get Haas' keys and discovered the victim was not dead. He then shot Haas again in the head. They then went to Haas' home where Kayer stole some guns, a camera, and some jewelry.
Eventually, they returned to Nevada. About 10 days after the murder, Kester reported the murder to officials saying she was upset because Kayer was gambling away all the money and when she confronted him about it, he said "You sometimes have to kill people to survive."

Thomas Kemp
On July 11, 1992, Kemp and Jeffrey Logan kidnapped a 25-year-old victim. Kemp used the victim's ATM card to withdraw $200. Kemp and Logan then drove the victim to Silverbell mine northwest of Tucson, and either Kemp or Logan shot the victim one or more times in the head.
Several days before this offense, Kemp purchased a .380 semi-automatic handgun and told Logan that he needed money to pay bills, and was going to look for someone with money.

Alvie C. Kiles
Kiles lived in Yuma with his girlfriend, Valerie Gunnell, and her two daughters, nine-month-old Lecresha and five-year-old Shemaeah. On February 9, 1989, Kiles used a bumper jack to bludgeon Valerie to death in their home. He then killed the two children because they started "screaming and hollering" as he killed their mother.
Kiles bragged about the murders to an acquaintance and took him on a tour of the murder scene, during which Kiles stepped on Valerie's head. Lecresha's body was later found floating in a canal in Mexico, but Shemaeah's body was never found.

Eric King
On December 27, 1989, Eric John King and an accomplice robbed a Short Stop convenience store in Phoenix, Arizona. King shot and killed the clerk, Mr. Ron Barman, and the store's security guard, Mr. Richard Butts. Officers believe King used Mr. Butt's .357 revolver in the commission of the offenses. Approximately $72 was taken from the cash register in the store.

Ryan W. Kuhs
On November 20, 2005, Kuhs got into a verbal altercation with Larry Herrera who was visiting his brother Ricky at his apartment. The altercation ended before it got physical.
Later that day, Kuhs went back to the apartment armed with a butterfly knife. The door was unlocked and Larry's brother Ricky was home alone sleeping in his bed. Kuhs went into the apartment and stabbed Ricky 21 times including twice in the skull which penetrated into his brain.
Neighbors found Ricky in a pool of blood as he fought for his life - he died later that day during emergency surgery. Police arrested Kuhs later that afternoon.

Joe Lambright
Sometime between March 11 and March 14, 1980, Lambright, Robert Douglas Smith and Kathy Foreman picked up Sandra Owen, a young woman with mental problems, who was hitchhiking in the Tucson area.
Smith raped Ms. Owen twice and the group took her to a remote area in the mountains outside Tucson. Lambright and Smith then killed the victim by choking her, stabbing her and hitting her in the head with a large rock.
Lambright and Smith were tried in a joint trial before two separate juries. Ms. Foreman testified against them in exchange for a grant of immunity.

Samuel V. Lopez
On October 29, 1986, Lopez broke into the apartment of 59-year-old Estafana Holmes. Lopez raped, beat, and stabbed Ms. Holmes. Her body was found nude from the waist down, with her pajama bottoms tied around her eyes. A lace scarf was crammed tightly into her mouth.
She had been stabbed 23 times in the left breast and upper chest, three times in her lower abdomen, and her throat was cut.

Shawn Patrick Lynch
On March 24, 2001, Shawn Patrick Lynch and Michael Sehwani met the victim, James Stanley Panzarella, at a local bar. When the bar closed, Lynch and Sehwani went back to Panzarella's residence, a guest house behind his parent's home.
In the early morning hours of March 25, 2001, someone from the residence called an adult entertainment business for a dancer. Sehwani wrote the dancer several checks from Panzarella's banking account. After the dancer left, Lynch tied the shirtless victim to a chair with telephone cord. After rendering him helpless and unable to resist, Lynch slashed Panzarella's throat with a knife, nearly severing his head from his shoulders.
Lynch and Sehwani subsequently made purchases using the victim's credit cards, and checked into several motels to watch numerous adult movies. Law enforcement tracked Lynch and Sehwani to one of the motels, where both were taken into custody.
Update: Arizona Supreme Court Tossed Death Sentence 6/22/10.

Eric O. Mann
Mann decided to conduct a drug "rip-off" of a friend, Richard Alberts, and invited Alberts to buy drugs from him at his home. Alberts arrived at Mann's home on the night of November 23, 1989, with a friend, Ramon Bazurto. Mann did not expect Bazurto.
They went into Mann's bedroom, where Mann handed Alberts a box that Alberts believed contained cocaine but actually contained paper. Alberts handed Mann a bag containing cash. When Alberts opened the box, Mann shot him and then shot Bazurto.
Mann and his girlfriend took the bodies to Alberts car and Mann and another friend drove to Graham County, where the deposited the bodies near a roadway. Mann and his girlfriend then bought paint and repainted the bedroom. The bodies were found the next day, November 24, 1989, but the murders remained unsolved until Mann's girlfriend confessed her witnessing of the murders to Washington State authorities.

Jahmari Manuel aka Warren Carl Manuel
A man who killed a Phoenix pawn-shop owner while robbing his store in 2004 was sentenced to
death Wednesday by a Maricopa County Superior Court jury.
Jahmari Manuel, who also goes by the name of Warren Carl Manuel, was caught on surveillance
video when he shot Darrell Willeford in Willeford's store on Thomas Road and 35th Street on March
31, 2004. Jurors watched the tape and saw Manuel, 38, firing his gun as soon as he opened the
door, then firing again into Willeford as he lay on the floor.
Manuel then fled to North Carolina, where he was arrested in December 2004.
Manuel was charged with first-degree murder, burglary, armed robbery and misconduct with weapons. On Aug. 6, he was found guilty on all counts.
And on Aug. 17, the jury determined that he had committed the murder for monetary gain, thus qualifying Manuel for the death penalty.
Sentenced to Death 9/23/09

Cody Martinez
On June 12, 2003, Cody Martinez was at a friend's house when another friend, Jonathan Summey-Montano, arrived with the victim. Once inside, Martinez and Summey-Montano decided to rob the victim. After joking with the victim, Martinez punched him in the face, then kicked and punched him for several minutes. Martinez and Summey-Montano eventually took the victim to the kitchen, where he was forced to lay on his stomach while they and another friend kicked him repeatedly.
Eventually, Martinez directed two other friends to pull a car around the back of the house. While the car was being moved, Martinez returned to the kitchen with a shotgun, then bludgeoned the victim's head with the weapon.
Martinez and Summey-Montano then bound the victim's hands with wire and his feet with duct tape. After the victim was bound, they removed his shoes and socks and robbed him of his money and jewelry. They placed him into the trunk of the car, and proceeded to the victim's apartment.
At the victim's home, Martinez and Summey-Montano stole computer equipment, liquor, jewelry, drugs and music CD's. They returned to the vehicle, which then would not start. They pushed the car to a nearby gas station, attempted to fix it, and eventually called a friend for a ride. Once the friend arrived, they got both cars to a residential street, loaded the victim into the cargo space of the new vehicle and drove to a remote area near the Tucson airport.
At the desert area, Summey-Montano dragged the victim out of the vehicle. They instructed him to stand up, then beat him to the ground and continued punching and kicking for several minutes. After beating him, Martinez shot him twice with a shotgun. Martinez covered the victim with trash and lit the body on fire. A police officer noticed the smoke and subsequently pulled over the vehicle leaving the scene. Martinez and the others were arrested shortly thereafter.

Ernesto Salgado Martinez
In July 1995, Martinez stole a blue Monte Carlo in California and a license plate from another California car. Two days before the murder, he showed a friend in Globe his revolver with black electrical tape wrapped around the handle. Martinez had prior convictions for violent crimes, was in violation of his probation, and did not want to go back to prison. On Aug. 15, 1995, several drivers noticed Martinez because of his excessive speed on Arizona 87. One couple passed him just after Officer Robert Martin pulled him over and was approaching the stolen Monte Carlo. Martinez shot Officer Martin four times and took his service revolver. Due to Martinez's reckless, high-speed driving while fleeing the scene, several other drivers took down the Monte Carlo's license plate number. Martinez fled to California, where the police arrested him a day later and recovered the murder weapon and Officer Martin's service revolver. After his arrest, Martinez was overheard during a telephone call bragging to a friend and laughing that he had killed a cop. Tests revealed that at least one of the bullets that struck Officer Martin was fired from Martinez's tape-wrapped revolver.

Gilbert Martinez Sr.
Maricopa County Superior Court jury on Thursday returned a death sentence against Gilbert Martinez, who killed a South Dakota man during a burglary in Sun City in 2006. It was the second time a jury considered the murder case; an earlier jury found him guilty of first-degree murder, burglary, theft and four counts each of kidnapping and aggravated assault, but deadlocked on whether to sentence him to life or death. Martinez, 45, is already serving a 99-year prison sentence for a series of northwest Valley burglaries in 2005 and 2006. His son, his sister and two other men are in prison for crimes related to those burglaries. But it was killing 51-year-old Vern Jark of Abderdeen, S.D., that sent Martinez to death row on Thursday. According to court testimony, on March 31, 2006, Martinez and an accomplice named Robert Arbolida, cased the Sun City home of an elderly couple who were being visited by their two grown daughters and the daughters' husbands. Martinez and Arbolida determined that there were three women and one man in the house, and then returned with a gun, put nylon masks over their faces and broke through a security door to enter the house. They rounded up the elderly couple and one of the daughters and her husband, tied them up, and then went looking for the other daughter, Jark's wife. They were in another bedroom. None of the victims saw what happened next, but they heard when Jark was slammed into a wall hard enough to break the drywall and heard him yell "no," when he was confronted by Martinez. And they heard the shot; Jark was shot point-blank in the left shoulder. Police were watching Martinez as a suspect in a string of burglaries. They arrested Martinez and Arbolida days later. Arbolida testified against Martinez in exchange for a life sentence with a chance of parole after 25 years. Martinez had already been tried for several of the burglaries; he was found not guilty in one of those burglaries, but sentenced to 99 years in several of the others.
He first went to trial for the murder charge on August 31, 2009 and was found guilty on November 3, 2009. But that jury deadlocked over life and death on Dec. 1. Martinez' attorneys tried several tacks to get the death notice dropped, but to no avail, and a new jury began considering the death penalty on March 3. Police and prosecutors believe that Martinez, who had already served a prison term for burglary, was the ring leader of criminals who graduated from simple breakings and enterings to violent home invasions; in legal terms, "burglary" does not refer to theft or to breaking and entering, but to entering a property with the intent to commit another felony. The members of Martinez' ring were charged in six burglaries in Peoria and Sun City between December 18, 2005 and February 13, 2006; their cases played out over several trials last year. His son, also named Gilbert Martinez, was sentenced to more than 37 years in prison for his participation in six burglaries; he was not present at Jark's murder. Martinez' sister, Margie Santiago, was sentenced to six years for destroying evidence. A fourth man, Manuel Barrera Stevens was sentenced to three years in prison for participating in one of the home invasions.
Sentenced to Death 4/29/10.

Frank McCray
On May 21, 1987, the victim, Chestene Cummins, was at home preparing to leave on a trip to California with her boyfriend. She had taken the day off work to run errands and pack.
McCray somehow gained access to her apartment, most likely while in the neighborhood committing burglaries. When the victim's boyfriend arrived home from work, he found her body laying in the bedroom. She had been sexually assaulted, beaten and strangled to death. The physical evidence demonstrated that the victim had put up a significant struggle during the assault. Law enforcement officers were unable to solve the crime at the time, but they preserved in evidence a sexual assault swab test kit and the cord used to strangle the victim.
In 2000, a Phoenix Police Department cold case detective submitted the evidence for DNA analysis at the Arizona Department of Public Safety Crime Lab. The DPS lab technicians were able to identify McCray from semen through a CODIS hit. McCray's DNA profile had been entered into the CODIS database from a previous conviction for sexual assault on another young woman subsequent to the murder. McCray's DNA was also confirmed on the cord used to strangle the victim.

Leroy McGill
On July 13, 2002, Leroy Dean McGill walked into an apartment in north Phoenix carrying a cup full of gasoline. McGill doused Charles Perez and Nova Banta with the gasoline and lit them on fire. Perez subsequently died from his burns. Banta was so severely burned that treating physicians had to put her in a medically-induced coma in order to save her life.
McGill, a twice convicted felon (armed robberies), committed these crimes because the victims had accused him of stealing a shotgun. McGill had been staying with the owner of the gun. As a result of the accusation, the gun owner threw McGill out of his home, causing McGill to become homeless.
After starting the fire, McGill asked an acquaintance if he could smell burning flesh. He also bragged that he had mixed the gasoline with Styrofoam to form a gel so that it would stick to the victims and burn hotter.

James McKinney
On Match 10, 1991, McKinney and his half-brother, Chutes Michael Hedlund, brutally beat and shot 40-year-old Christine Mertens in her home, during the commission of a burglary. Mrs. Mertens' son found his mother dead, lying face down on the living room floor.
McKinney and Hedlund had ransacked Mrs. Mertens' bedroom and rifled through her purse.
On March 23, 1991, McKinney and Hedlund burglarized the home of 65-year-old James McClain and shot him in the head while he was asleep in his bed. McKinney and Hedlund ransacked Mr. McClain's home and stole personal property, including several guns.
McKinney was convicted of first-degree murder and sentenced to death for the murders of Mrs. Mertens and Mr. McClain. In addition, McKinney was convicted of two counts of burglary in the first degree, and one count of theft.

Efren Medina
A Valley man has been again sentenced to death for the 1993 killing of a former Arizona Republic reporter during a car-theft bid.
Jurors on Tuesday returned a death-penalty sentence for Efren Medina, 34. Medina was 18 in 1993 when he beat and stomped 71-year-old Carle Hodge, then dragged him into the street and ran over him. Hodge was a former Republic science reporter.
Another man, Ernest Aro, 19 at the time of the crime, was also found guilty in the murder and sentenced in a separate trial to life in prison.
Medina was convicted and sentenced to death in 1996 but the Maricopa County Superior Court judge who gave the death penalty in 2003 ordered Medina be resentenced after evidence was presented about a delusional disorder the defendant may have been suffering from at the time of the killing. Resentenced to Death 1/12/10.

Angel M. Medrano
On January 31, 1987, Medrano was at a federal correctional halfway house in Tucson. After obtaining a weekend pass, Medrano spent the evening drinking at several nightclubs. Sometime after midnight, he drove to the home of Patricia Pedrin and parked in the driveway. Medrano knew Ms. Pedrin because he had served time in prison with her husband. Medrano honked the horn several times until Ms. Pedrin opened the door and let him in the house. Once inside, Medrano raped Ms. Pedrin and stabbed her over 20 times with a knife. Around 8:00 a.m. Ms. Pedrin's children found their mother's body lying on the floor in a pool of blood.

Kevin A. Miles
On December 7, 1992, Miles and two 16-year-old companions planned a carjacking and discussed killing someone. At 1:30 p.m. that day, Miles and his two companions waited for a car to stop near the area of 24th Street and Columbus Avenue in Tucson.
When the 40-year-old victim approached in her vehicle and stopped, one of the two companions asked her for a "light" for a cigarette. As she reached for the lighter, the companion pointed a .45 caliber handgun at her head and forced her to move over. Miles and the two companions took control of the car, kept the gun pointed at her, and drove her to a desert area, where she was shot once in the chest. She died from this gunshot wound, which lacerated her heart and her left lung.

Debra Jean Milke
On December 2, 1989, James Lynn Styers filed a missing child report, advising police that his roommates's son, Christopher Milke (age 4), had disappeared during their visit to Metrocenter mall. Roger Mark Scott was present with Styers.
On December 3, 1989, Scott admitted during a police interview that he had accompanied Styers the previous day to a desert wash in the area of 99th Avenue and Jomax Road where Styers shot and killed Christopher Milke. Styers agreed to provide Scott with $250 to file a social security claim. Styers believed he would receive some of Christopher's $5,000 life insurance policy. At the conclusion of the interview, Mr. Scott led police to the desert area where they found Christopher Milke's body.
During a police interview, Debra Jean Milke, Christopher Milke's mother, conceded that she had conspired with Styers to have her son killed. She indicated that it would be better to have her son die than grow up like her husband.

Julius J. Moore
Debra Ford went to the Phoenix apartment of Sergio Mata, Delia Ramos, and Guadalupe Ramos to purchase and smoke crack in the late evening hours of November 15, 1999. In the early hours of the 16th, Moore came to the apartment looking for Debra. When Debra came out to see Moore, they talked for a bit and smoked some crack.
Shortly after, Sergio came out of the apartment and Moore shot him in the head, killing him and then turned to Debra and shot her in the neck.
Debra remained alive and conscious while praying for her life. She heard several additional shots fired while she was on the ground. When police arrived and went into the apartment, they found Guadalupe on the couch and Delia inside the bedroom closet. Both were shot to death. Debra survived and testified against Moore during trial.

Robert H. Moormann
While serving a sentence of nine years to life at the Arizona State Prison in Florence, Moorman was given a 72-hour compassionate furlough to visit with his mother. The two stayed at the Blue Mist Motel in Florence.
On January 13, 1984, Moorman bound and gagged his mother and then strangled and stabbed her. Moorman chopped the body into many parts and disposed of them in dumpsters throughout Florence.

Cory Morris
September, 2002, Morris lured his first victim back to his trailer with the inducement of money for sexual services. The victim had recently been released from prison and was taking medication for an addiction to heroin. While engaging in sex, Morris wrapped a tie around the victim's throat and strangled her to death. Morris kept the body for some time, using it for sexual gratification. Eventually he put the body in an alley near his trailer.
In October, 2002, Morris lured a second victim back to his trailer with money for sexual services. Morris similarly strangled the victim and used her body for sexual gratification.
In February, 2003, Morris talked a third victim into coming back with him to his trailer for sex. Once inside, Morris strangled her and had sex with the body.
Some time in March, 2003, Morris came across a woman with severe mental impairments. Morris lured her back to his camper, and sexually assaulted and strangled her to death. After her death, he kept the body for a significant length of time and repeatedly raped her.
Morris killed his final victim in April, 2003. Under the pretense of sex, Morris sexually assaulted her and strangled her with a tie. Morris kept the body, and repeatedly sexually gratified himself with it. A relative noticed a putrid smell coming from Morris' trailer and discovered the decomposing body. The relative contacted the police, who arrested Morris.

Michael Murdough
Murdaugh' s girlfriend, Rebecca Rohrs, met the victim, David Reynolds, at a bar. Rebecca told Murdaugh about Reynolds. Murdaugh told Rebecca to entice Reynolds to her house. When Reynolds arrived, Murdaugh and his friend, Jesse Dezarn, took Reynolds to a barn at gunpoint. Murdaugh severely beat Reynolds. Murdauah and his co-defendant, Dezarn, bound and gagged Reynolds and put him inside the trunk of their vehicle, where Murdaugh again beat Reynolds.
After beating Reynolds to death, Murdaugh dumped Reynold's body in a remote area. Before leaving, however, he severed Reynold's head and hands, pulled out Reynold's teeth and buried the body parts.

Robert W. Murray
On May 11, 1991, Robert and Roger Murray spent the night in Las Vegas, Nevada, and bought a .12 gauge shotgun. The following day, the Murrays drove to Kingman. During the night of May 14, 1991, they decided to rob someone.
While driving through Grasshopper Junction, which is 30 miles north of Kingman on the way to Las Vegas, they stopped at the home of Dean Morrison and Jackie Appelhans.
The Murrays entered the home while armed, and had the two victims lie down on the floor side-by-side. They shot each of them at least twice with a .38 revolver, and shot Jackie twice more with a .22 rifle. They then shot each of them once in the head with a shotgun. They then ransacked the house and fled.

Roger W. Murray
On May 11, 1991, Robert and Roger Murray spent the night in Las Vegas, Nevada, and bought a .12 gauge shotgun. The following day, the Murrays drove to Kingman. During the night of May 14, 1991, they decided to rob someone.
While driving through Grasshopper Junction, which is 30 miles north of Kingman on the way to Las Vegas, they stopped at the home of Dean Morrison and Jackie Appelhans. The Murrays entered the home while armed, and had the two victims lie down on the floor side-by-side. They shot each of them at least twice with a .38 revolver, and shot Jackie twice more with a .22 rifle. They then shot each of them once in the head with a shotgun. They then ransacked the house and fled.

Brad Nelson
Nelson, 39, of Golden Valley, was sentenced Monday to death after being convicted last month of first-degree murder in the 2006 beating death of Amber Leann Graff, also of Golden Valley. Sentenced to Death 12/7/09.

Steven Ray Newell
On May 23, 2001, Elizabeth Byrd, an eight-year old, headed to school from her mother's trailer at approximately 8:00 a.m. Steven Newell approached Elizabeth and began walking with her. Newell knew Elizabeth because he had dated Elizabeth's sister, Lori Stone, for several months. Elizabeth was late for school and told Newell that she didn't have time to talk to him. Newell persuaded Elizabeth to take a "short-cut" through a field with irrigation ditches.
After Elizabeth and Newell were isolated and out of sight from passers-by, Newell sexually assaulted Elizabeth. After the assault, Newell grabbed a strap from Elizabeth's backpack and strangled her to death with it. After Elizabeth was dead, Newell wrapped her body in a carpet and threw her into a water-filled drainage ditche. He was arrested approximately two weeks later.
In custody, Newell admitted that he led Elizabeth into the isolated field and that he "sexually rubbed" up against her. He also admitted taking the strap from Elizabeth's purse and wrapping it around her neck, and that he threw her into the ditch. However, Newell denied murdering Elizabeth. Forensic testing proved that Newell was the source of semen found in the panties Elizabeth was wearing at the time of the murder.

Scott D. Nordstrom
On May 30, 1996, Scott Nordstrom and Robert Jones entered the Moon Smoke Shop in Tucson. Jones immediately shot a customer in the head. One employee escaped, two others were shot at by Jones behind the counter. Jones missed one and only injured the other.
Another employee was executed by Scott Nordstrom with two shots to the head. The gunmen took money and shared it with lookout David Nordstrom.
On June 13, 1996, Scott Nordstrom and Robert Jones entered the Firefighters Union Hall in Tucson. Jones executed three customers with shots to the head and took one of their wallets. Nordstrom shot and killed the bartender after he couldn't open a safe, and they took money from the cash register.
The cases were solved when one of the parties contacted the police.
Victims: Thomas Hardman, 28, and Carol Lynn Noel, 50, in separate incidents.
Resentenced to Death 8/27/09.

Manuel Ovante Jr.
A man has been sentenced to death for a triple shooting in Phoenix that killed two people.
Maricopa County prosecutors say 23-year-old Manuel Ovante Jr. was arrested a month after the June 11, 2008 shootings that left a man and woman dead and another man wounded. Phoenix police say no motive was ever established in the shootings Ovante was indicted on two counts of first-degree murder and one count of aggravated assault and pleaded guilty last December. A Maricopa County Superior Court jury on Wednesday gave Ovante the death penalty for the slaying of the 18-year-old male victim(Damien Vickers). He received a life prison sentence for the murder of the 29-year-old female victim(Jordan Trujillo)
Sentenced to Death 2/24/10.

Darrell Peter Pandeli
Pandeli killed Holly Iler after what he claimed was an abortive sexual encounter. He slit her throat and mutilated her body.
After being captured and interrogated for that murder, he confessed to killing Holly Humphreys more than a year before the Iler murder.
He was tried separately for the murder of Humphreys, and convicted of second-degree murder. He was sentenced to death for Iler's murder, but the sentence was reversed. He was sentenced to death again in a new sentencing proceeding.

Steven John Parker
A man convicted in the slayings of a Phoenix couple nearly 5 years ago has been given the death penalty. Maricopa County prosecutors say a jury on Monday sentenced 37-year-old Steven John Parker to death. If jurors did not unanimously agree on the death penalty, Parker would have faced a natural life prison sentence. Parker was convicted May 10 on 2 counts of murder, 1 count of burglary and 1 count of kidnapping. Authorities say Wayne Smith and his wife Faye were found stabbed, beaten and robbed in their Phoenix home on Sept. 24, 2005. They say Parker lived next door to the victims at the time. Investigators say Parker borrowed a car and drove to California and then Mexico and abandoned the vehicle in San Diego. He was eventually arrested in Las Vegas and charged in the double homicide.
Sentenced to Death 5/24/10.

Christopher Payne
A Pima County jury sentenced Christopher M. Payne to death for killing his children Ariana and Tyler Payne.

Robert Poyson
Leta Kagen (30), Leta's 15-year-old son, Robert Delahunt, Roland Wear (50) and Bobby Poyson (20) lived in a remote area of Mohave County.
On August 13, 1996, Frank Anderson (48) and Kimberly Lane (15) had been hitchhiking in the area, and Leta agreed to let Anderson and Lane spend the night.
Anderson, Poyson, and Lane decided to kill Leta, Robert, and Roland, and steal Roland's truck. Lane enticed Robert into a travel trailer on the property, where Anderson cut Robert's throat nearly from ear to ear with a bread knife. Anderson held the struggling boy down, while Poyson pounded the bread knife through Robert's ear, and out his mouth. Poyson finally ended Robert's struggling by crushing his skull with a rock.
Three to four hours later, Anderson and Poyson entered Leta's mobile home, and Poyson killed her by shooting her in the head with a rifle, as Anderson held a lantern for light. Roland awoke, and Poyson shot him in the mouth. Poyson then hit Roland with the rifle stock, and Anderson hit him with the lantern. Roland and Poyson struggled out into the yard, where Poyson bludgeoned Roland to death with a cinder block.

Wayne Benoit Prince
On March 25, 1998, Prince and his wife Christine Parker were involved in a heated domestic dispute. Christine's son was
asleep during the incident, but Cassandra, her thirteen-year-old daughter, attempted to flee the apartment to summon help. Prince
was armed with a gun and threatened to kill the children, Christine, and then himself. Eventually, the fight moved into Cassandra's room, where Prince held a pillow around the gun and shot Cassandra in the head. Prince then shot Christine. Christine survived, but Cassandra did not.  A jury found that Prince committed the attempted murder of Christine and the first degree murder of Cassandra.

David M. Ramirez
During the early morning hours of May 25, 1989, David Ramirez, a parolee, murdered Mary Gortarez and her 15-year-old daughter, Candie Gortarez, in their Phoenix apartment.
He stabbed Mary 18 times in the neck, in the back, in the stomach, and in the left eye. He stabbed Candie 15 times in the neck area. Neither Mary nor Candie died instantaneously.
Neighbors heard sounds of a violent struggle for about half an hour coming from the apartment and when police entered it they found blood smeared and spattered throughout. Ramirez also sexually assaulted Candie Gortarez while she was close to death. Ramirez, the only person alive in the apartment, was arrested at the scene. Ramirez was convicted of both murders.

Charles B. Reinhardt
One of Reinhardt's friends introduced the victim, Michael Ellis, to Reinhardt for the purpose of helping Reinhardt purchase methamphetamine.
On September 4, 1995, Reinhardt, a female friend, Ellis and his male contact person met at Charles Nadeau's apartment to negotiate the deal. Reinhardt gave the male $1,180 cash so he could get the methamphetamine, and Ellis stayed behind as "collateral".
After several hours when the drugs did not arrive, Reinhardt and Nadeau threatened Ellis with physical injury and demanded either the money or the drugs. Early the next morning, Nadeau and Reinhardt drove Ellis in a Buick to the Reddington Pass area of Pima County, where they beat him in the face, shot him in the shoulder with a shotgun, and beat his head with heavy rocks, which resulted in blood spatters on their clothes.
Reinhardt and Nadeau then drove the Buick to a shopping center, where Nadeau tried to start a fire inside the Buick. When a patrol car drove into the area, Reinhardt and Nadeau fled in a friend's car, which resulted in a high speed chase until the friend's car was wrecked.
After officers apprehended the two, they noticed blood on their clothing. In the Buick at the shopping center, officers found a bloody towel, a shotgun, the victim's wallet, and charred newspapers. At Nadeau's apartment, officers saw blood smears near the entry of the apartment and spatters of blood leading out to the parking lot. Nadeau's friends admitted seeing blood near the entrance and on the interior of the apartment and on the chair where the victim was last seen sitting.

Fred L. Robinson
Robinson and Susan Hill lived together for a number of years. Beginning in 1984, Susan made several efforts to leave Robinson, but he always forced her to return.
In February 1987, Susan left Robinson for a week to visit her father, Ralph Hill, and stepmother, Sterleen Hill, in Yuma. After this visit, Susan went to California to live with other relatives and did not tell Robinson.
On June 8, 1987, Robinson decided to go to Yuma and bring Susan back. Robinson persuaded his friends, Theodore Washington and Jimmy Mathers, to go with him. The men loaded Robinson's car with weapons and drove to Yuma. Washington was wearing a red bandanna.
At about 11:45 p.m., two men entered the Hills' home, forced Mr. and Mrs. Hill to lie on their bedroom floor and tied them up. A black man wearing a red bandanna held a gun to Mr. Hill's head, then ransacked the drawers and closet while the second man stood over the Hills. One of the men shot the Hills with a 12-gauge shotgun. Mrs. Hill died from her wounds but Mr. Hill survived.
Washington, Robinson and Mathers were tried jointly and each received the death penalty. On appeal the state supreme court reversed Mathers' conviction, finding insufficient evidence to support the jury verdict.
Update: 9th Circuit Tossed Sentence on 2/22/10.

Peter C. Rogovich
On March 15, 1992, Rogovich robbed a Super Stop Food Mart and shot and killed the clerk. He later went to the Palo Verde Trailer Park where he encountered Phyllis Mancuso and shot and killed her. He entered the home of Marie Pendergast, where he shot and killed her. After leaving the Pendergast residence, he shot and killed Rebecca Carreon in the driveway of her home.
He fled on foot to a local restaurant, where he took a vehicle from an employee at gunpoint. He then robbed a Circle K store. He was later apprehended after a pursuit by local law enforcement agencies.

Homer Ray Roseberry
In October, 2000, Homer Roseberry, Diane Roseberry, and Charles Dvoracek were involved in a scheme to steal drugs and money, and to re-sell the drugs.
Homer Roseberry was trafficking approximately thirteen hundred pounds of marijuana with the victim, Fred Fottler. The two met in Phoenix and drove to Las Vegas with the marijuana. At a pull-off area along Highway 93, Roseberry shot Fottler three times in the back of the head. He then dumped Fottler's body in the weeds along the highway and continued on to Las Vegas with the drugs. Roseberry threw the gun out several miles away from Fottler's body.
Diane Roseberry received a seven-year prison sentence, and Charles Dvoracek received a 10-year prison sentence.

Sean Running Eagle
At about 6:00 a.m. on December 6, 1987, Running Eagle, Corey Tilden, and Orva Antone were burglarizing the Robert Davis residence in Phoenix. Davis' neighbor, 72-year-old Herbert Williams, came outside and told the men to leave or he would call the police.
Running Eagle began to tease and threaten Mr. Williams with a large hunting knife. Mr. Williams' wife, Jacqueline, then came outside and began yelling. Tilden hit Mrs. Williams over the head with a large flashlight. Running Eagle and Tilden then forced their way into the Williams' home and beat and stabbed them both to death.
Mr. Williams was stabbed five times in the chest, arm, pelvis and back. Mrs. Williams was stabbed four times in the chest and abdomen and her throat was cut.
Running Eagle and Tilden were tried jointly. Antone pled guilty to second-degree burglary and testified against Running Eagle and Tilden. Running Eagle and Tilden were both convicted of two counts of first-degree murder. Tilden received two life sentences.

Go Up