Listing of Arizona Death Row Inmates A - H

Started by Jeff1857, May 23, 2009, 07:11:56 AM

previous topic - next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Go Down


May 23, 2009, 07:11:56 AM Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 06:40:27 PM by Granny B
Vincent Accardo
A Superior Court Judge sentenced Vincent Accardo to death by leathel injection today, July 9/2008. A jury found Accardo guilty for the 1997 murder of Kenneth Cloud last month.  Police say Cloud's wife hired Accardo to kill her husband. The jury also found Accardo guilty of conspiracy to commit first degree murder.

David Lamar Anthony
The jury came back with three separate death sentences for the slayings of Donna Anthony, 54, and her children, Danielle, 14, and Richard Romero, 12.  Anthony, 64, was found guilty Aug. 28, 2012 of three counts of first-degree murder, and the jury then found aggravating factors that qualified him for the death penalty. The jurors heard final arguments as to whether Anthony should die by lethal injection or be sentenced to life in prison. They came back with the death verdict

[Michael E. Correll
Correll and John Nabors decided to rob a victim of money and drugs. On the night of April 11, 1984, Correll and Nabors went to the victim's trailer and tied him up and his girlfriend, Debra Rosen. When Robin Cady and Shawn D'Brito arrived at the trailer a short time later, they were also bound and gagged.
Rosen was killed at the trailer by strangulation with a heavy shoelace knotted around her neck. Correll and Nabors took the first victim, Cady and D'Brito to a desert area north of Phoenix where all three were shot in the head.
The victim survived and lived to testify against Correll. Nabors committed suicide when police were about to arrest him.

Benjamin Cota
Convicted and sentended to Death for the Dec 2003 murders of Victor Martinez and Guadalupe Zavala, a Peoria couple who had hired him to remodel their house.
Prosecutors believe Cota killed Martinez, 73, by beating him on the head with a baseball bat or hammer. Then, they think Cota lay in wait for Zavala, 40, to come home from work. He stabbed her, bound her hands and feet, wrapped her face in duct tape, and struck her repeatedly in the head and face with a machete or meat cleaver, prosecutors said.
Cota lived in the house for the next week, according to trial testimony. He forged checks on the couple's bank account and took the title to one of their vehicles, which Cota gave to his son.
Sentenced to Death 8/14/09.

Robert Cromwell
October 8, 2001 Phoenix Police Department received a 911 call from a hysterical female stating she was trying to locate her daughter who was taken by a man who had beaten her. The female (later identified as Ella "Michelle" Speaks) told the dispatcher she was beaten with a stick by a man at her home located at 3208 E. Flower Street and that she believed this man ran off with her daughter. Shortly there after the Phoenix Police Department dispatch received a second 911 call from a Hispanic male who said he heard someone yelling for help and that they thought there was a dead baby at 3208 E. Flower Street, Apartment #205.
During the investigation it was determined that through a one time meeting, spending the evening together drinking and doing drugs Ella "Michelle" Speaks left Robert Cromwell at her residence with her three daughters while she left for a few minutes to pickup another friend, Kim Jensen.
When Michelle and Kim returned home they were greeted at the door by Robert Cromwell who struck Kim Jensen with a pool stick as she stepped into the apartment doorway. Michelle Speaks attempted to stop Cromwell, but when Kim was stuck in the head and fell to the floor he turned on Speaks and began hitting her until the pool stick broke. Cromwell then ran from the residence.
Michelle Speaks, who was shaken up over the incident, took off in her vehicle after Cromwell as she believed he had taken her daughter, Stephanie Short. While driving to Cromwell's residence Speaks called 911 to report the incident.
The police made contact with Speaks and returned with her to her residence. Upon searching the residence her home they found the body of her 11-year-old daughter, Stephanie Short, in the master bedroom, unclothed and severely injured. Stephanie Short had 13 stab wounds to her back, a fractured skull and broken jaw and had appeared to have been sexually assaulted. Stephanie was transported to the Good Samaritan Hospital where she was pronounced dead. Cause of death was determined to be multiple blunt force and stabbing injuries.
Robert Cromwell was interviewed and subsequently arrested and found guilty of murdering Stephanie Short.

Leroy Cropper
First degree murder of CO Brent Lumley on March 7th 1997.  On the early afternoon of March 7, 1997, corrections officer Brent Lumley was minutes from finishing an overtime shift at the Perryville Prison Complex. Several inmates distracted Lumley just enough for another prisoner, Leroy D. Cropper, to sneak up and plunge a knife into the side of Lumley's neck. There was the initial trial and guilty verdict in 2000 that came along with a death sentence from Judge David Cole.  A 2003 U.S. Supreme Court ruling said the  juries, not judges, get to weigh and decide whether a defendant gets the death penalty. It sent back 27 cases, including Cropper's, for re-sentencing. Cropper's was among the last of that series of cases to be resolved.  Meanwhile, Cropper stabbed another prisoner in 1999 and attempted to shoot another inmate with a blow dart in 2002.  Still, his sentence for killing Brent Lumley went unresolved. On May 2, 2008 it took the jury 20 minutes to agree that there were enough aggravating circumstances to give Cropper the death penalty.

John Montenegro Cruz
On May 26, 2003, Cruz murdered Officer Patrick Hardesty, an on-duty law enforcement officer with the Tucson Police Department. Cruz fired four shots at Officer Hardesty, including shots to the head and adbomen, from point-blank range.

Brian J. Dann
On Easter Sunday, April 4, 1999, Brian Dann entered Andrew Parks' apartment and shot and killed Andrew, Andrew's sister Shelly, who was Dann's girlfriend of two years, and Andrew's friend, Eddie Payan. He told a former girlfriend that he shot Andrew and Shelly because they laughed at him and then Eddie because he witnessed the shootings.

Donald Delehanty
Sentenced to Death 5/27/09 for the murder of Phoenix Police Officer David Uribe
Officer David Uribe was shot to death after he stopped a vehicle with a stolen license plate in northwest Phoenix on May 10, 2005.

David S. Detrich
On the evening of November 4, 1989, David Detrich and codefendant Charlton traveled to Tucson from Benson, Arizona. They picked up the victim, a 38-year-old female, who was hitchhiking somewhere in the Tucson area. Charlton then drove Detrich and the victim, a known drug addict, to a residential location where they bought $75 worth of cocaine.
They went to the victim's home and the victim went into a bedroom and returned with a hypodermic syringe. Detrich became extremely angry when he realized that the cocaine was "bad" and could not be intravenously injected. He threatened the victim and blamed her for the poor quality of cocaine.
Detrich demanded that the victim have sex with him, but the victim ignored him and pretended to sleep. He then placed a knife to her throat and continued to threaten her and demanded sex. While holding her at knife point, Detrich forced the victim into Charlton's car and told Charlton to drive out of town. Detrich raped the victim in the front seat and stabbed her numerous times before slitting her throat.
Update: 9th Circuit Tossed Death Sentence 8/20/10.

Ernest V. Gonzales
On the evening of Feb. 20, 1990, the Wagner family returned to their town house in Phoenix from dinner where they had celebrated Darrel Wagner's recent promotion. When they entered their courtyard, Deborah Wagner noticed a light shining out their opened front door. Darrel went inside while Deborah and her 7-year-old son remained in the court yard. Inside, Darrel saw Gonzales, a parolee, standing on the landing holding their VCR tucked underneath his arm. Deborah sent her son for help. When she turned back, Gonzales had shoved her husband out the front door, stabbing him. When Gonzales ignored her pleas to stop stabbing, Deborah climbed on his back. Gonzales stabbed her twice. One cut damaged her spleen, colon and diaphragm and the other punctured her lung. Gonzales then fled. Darrel Wagner lived long enough to help his wife up and then began a conversation with the 911 operator while gasping for air. Gonzales had stabbed him seven times. Darrel Wagner died from stab wounds to his chest, one skewered the lower lobe of his right lung and another went into the left ventricle of his heart. Phoenix police arrested Gonzales on Feb. 23, 1991. In addition to the murder, he was convicted of first-degree burglary, aggravated assault, armed robbery, theft, and of another residential burglary committed minutes before the murder. In addition to the death penalty, Gonzales was sentenced to three consecutive life terms.
On Feb. 28, 1995, the victim left a church concert at about 9:15 p.m. The victim encountered Greene and an altercation ensued, and Greene beat the 140-lb victim to death with a club or stick. Later that evening, Greene drove to a friend's house in the victim's car, and obtained a rug and clean pair of shoes and pants, saying he needed clean clothes because his had blood and mud on them. Greene used the rug to cover the car seat, which had blood on it. On March 1, Greene began making purchases with the victim's credit cards, using a gauze bandage on his hand to disguise his signature. Later that evening, Greene told his ex-girlfriend he had killed someone by beating him with a stick and that he had to get rid of the car. Greene showed another friend "proof of his kill." Greene drove the victim's car into the desert, and his ex-girlfriend followed in another car. A ranger stopped both vehicles, but Greene fled. On March 3 when Greene was arrested, officers found property Greene had purchased with the victim's credit card. The victim's body was found on March 4 in a wash west of Tucson Mountain Park. Before trial, Greene wrote a letter bragging about kicking in the victim's skull. Before sentencing, he wrote another letter boasting about being on death row.

Beau John Greene
Sentenced in 1996. On Feb. 28, 1995, 58-year-old UA music professor Roy Johnson never returned from an organ performance at a Green Valley church. His body, with four blows to the skull, was found four days later in a muddy wash.
Greene took Johnson's car and used Johnson's credit cards to purchase survival gear, pornographic movies and groceries. Before his sentencing, he wrote a letter boasting about being on death row.

Richard H. Greenway
On March 27, 1988, Greenway and Christopher Lincoln. burglarized the Tucson home of Lili Champagne. Greenway shot and killed Champagne and her 17-year-old daughter, Mindy, with a .22-caliber rifle. He and Lincoln then stole some property, including Lili Champagne's Porsche. The two later abandoned the Porsche after setting it on fire. Greenway later boasted to a jail inmate that he had killed the women because they had seen his face. Lincoln, a juvenile, was tried as an adult and convicted for the murders. He received concurrent life sentences.

Shawn Grell
Grell admitted that on Dec. 2, 1999, he picked up his daughter Kristen from day care, took her to a fast-food restaurant, bought a gasoline can and drove her to a remote county island between Mesa and Apache Junction. He said he laid his sleeping daughter down in the dirt, splashed gasoline on her and
lit a match. She woke up and ran around in circles before succumbing.
Resentenced to Death 7/27/09.

David Gulbrandson
Gulbrandson and the 45-year-old female victim operated a photography business, and also were involved in an intimate relationship. The victim ended their personal relationship in January of 1991, and Gulbrandson physically assaulted her on Feb. 14, 1991. The victim sought and obtained a protective order against Gulbrandson as a result. On March 9, 1991, Gulbrandson threatened to kill the victim during a telephone conversation. Sometime late in the evening of March 10, 1991, or early in the morning of March 11, 1991, Gulbrandson entered the victim's home, and brutally tortured and killed her while her two children were sleeping. Despite the victim's intense struggle, Gulbrandson inflicted 33 incision-type injuries over her body, a puncture wound to her liver, and at least 10 blunt force injuries. In addition, he cracked the victim's teeth, fractured her nose and seven of her ribs, embedded part of a wooden salad fork in her leg, and attempted to burn her by lighting her hair on fire. Gulbrandson killed her by either strangling her or by inflicting a blow to her neck which caused her to suffocate. Gulbrandson left the victim in the master bedroom clad only in her panties, with her ankles and one wrist bound with electrical cords, and he left three knives, one razor knife, and one pair of scissors, all of which were bloodstained, in the kitchen sink. Gulbrandson left the scene in the victim's car. Gulbrandson's fingerprints were found at the scene, and bloody clothing was found at his residence. The victim's car was located in Montana on April 1, 1991, and Gulbrandson was arrested there two days later.

Aaron Gunches
Sentenced to death in February 2008 for the 2002 murder of a man near Mesa.
Gunches kidnapped and killed Ted Price in the desert off the Beeline Highway. Gunches pleaded guilty to the crimes.
Update: Arizona Supreme Court Tossed Death Sentence on 6/16/10.

Tracy Allen Hampton
On May 18, 2001, Tracy Allen Hampton shot and killed Charles Findley and Tanya Ramsdell at 802 E. Roberts Road in Phoenix. Ramsdell was five months pregnant at the time.
Hampton, who bore tattoos of skulls and slogans such as "White power," was a White supremacist. Findley's family had befriended him when he was homeless.
Hampton shot Findley in the forehead because he had identified him to state Department of Safety Officers trying to serve him with a traffic ticket. Seconds later, he kicked in Tanya's bedroom door and put a .40-caliber bullet in her forehead.
Prosecutors said Hampton killed Ramsdell because he believed her baby's father was a Black man.

Rodney Hardy
A Maricopa County Superior Court jury today brought back dual death sentences against a Phoenix man convicted of shooting two people to death in 2005 while in a jealous rage.
Rodney Hardy, 47, was found guilty of killing his "wife," Tiffany Lien, 21, and an acquaintance named Don Stanciel, 32, after he found them in bed together.
The jury deliberated for less than a day before delivering the sentences.
Judge Michael Kemp also sentenced Hardy to 2 consecutive life sentences with chance of parole after 25 years for burglary and kidnapping convictions.
Hardy ran a limousine service and frequented several local strip clubs; Stanciel had recently moved to the Valley from California and was looking for a job, but was also a regular on the strip-club scene.
Lien was a stripper who, as a teenager, narrowly escaped being killed in the suburban Denver Columbine High School shootings of 1999. According to court testimony, her life spiraled out of control in the years after, and she ended up working strip clubs in Phoenix.
Hardy, an ex-con who once ran an escort service, claimed during testimony that he found Lien after she had been beaten and left on the street. She was strung out on drugs and pregnant, he said, and he took her in. She gave up the child for adoption. Lien and Hardy married in Las Vegas, but the marriage was invalid because Hardy was still married to another woman.
The 2 lived together as husband and wife for about 2 years, according to police records.
Then Lien left after Hardy struck her, and she went to live with a stripper girlfriend. She was with Stanciel at the friend's apartment on August 28, 2005, when Hardy burst into the apartment, kicked in the door of the room where the 2 were sleeping and shot them both to death.
Sentenced to Death 8/20/09.

Christopher Allen Hargrave
Christopher Hargrave and Steven Boggs formed a white supremacist organization called the Imperial Royal Guard. Hargrave met and began dating Gayle Driver, the daughter of the owners of a pawnshop. In April, 2002, Hargrave began working at a Jack-In-The-Box in the Mesa/Chandler area. On May 15, Hargrave was fired from the Jack-In-The-Box for stealing. Hargrave had been living in a trailer on the Driver's property, and he was asked to leave when he was fired from his job.
On May 19, 2002, Hargrave and Boggs went to rob the Jack-In-The-Box restaurant. Hargrave dressed in his work uniform and gained entrance to the restaurant under the guise that he had been called back to work. Once inside, Hargrave distracted two employees while Boggs went through the back door. Hargrave and Boggs then took the three employees into the cooler and shot them several times in the back.
After stealing money from the registers and from each victim, Hargrave and Boggs left the store and went to a nearby bank to withdraw money using one of the victim's stolen credit cards. One of the victims managed to crawl to a nearby phone and call police, as well as alert a customer, who also phoned the police.
Two days after the murder, Boggs traded the murder weapon for another gun at the Driver's pawn shop. The Drivers contacted the police, and Boggs was subsequently arrested when police confirmed the gun was the murder weapon from the restaurant.

James C. Harrod
On April 1, 1988, well-known socialite Jeanne Tovrea was shot five times in the head as she slept in her bed in her Paradise Valley home.
The police collected fingerprints at the kitchen window point of entry and inside the house. The investigation stalled until January 1994 when an anonymous tipster watched an Unsolved Mystery TV program on the killing and identified the voice of suspect "Gordon Phillips" on Jeanne's answering machine as that of Harrod.
Several months later a second tip led police to Harrod's former wife who told them Harrod had told her he was paid $100,000 to kill Jeanne because her stepson, Ed (Hap) Tovrea, wanted her dead so he could inherit from his late father's estate.
Harrod was flush with unexplained cash after the murder. Harrod's fingerprints matched 18 fingerprints taken at the scene. Police discovered a money trial, phone records, and a bogus business deal linking Harrod with Hap Tovrea.

Dale Hausner
The main suspect in the Phoenix Serial Shooter attacks was sentenced to death Friday for six murders that put the city on edge for nearly two years. Dale Hausner was convicted earlier this month of killing six people and attacking 19 others in random nighttime shootings in 2005 and 2006.
Prosecutors said Hausner preyed on pedestrians, bicyclists, dogs and horses during a 14-month conspiracy that occasionally included his brother and his former roommate, Sam Dieteman.
Dieteman pleaded guilty to two of the killings and is awaiting sentencing. He testified against Hausner, saying he and his roommate cruised around late at night looking for strangers to shoot. He could also face the death penalty.

Charles Hedlund
On March 10, 1991, Hedlund and his half-brother, James Erin McKinney, brutally beat and shot 40-year-old Christine Mertens in her home, during the commission of a burglary. Mrs. Mertens' son found his mother dead, lying face down on the living room floor. Hedlund and McKinney had ransacked Mrs. Mertens' bedroom and rifled through her purse.
On March 23, 1991, Hedlund and McKinney burglarized the home of 65-year-old James McClain and shot him in the head while he was asleep in his bed. Hedlund and McKinney ransacked Mr. McClain's home and stole personal property, including several guns.
Hedlund was convicted of first-degree murder for killing Mr. McClain and was sentenced to death. He was convicted of second-degree murder for killing Mrs. Martens, two counts of burglary in the first degree, and one count of theft.

Graham S. Henry
On June 6, 1986, Graham Henry and Vernon Foote kidnapped Roy Estes from his Las Vegas apartment. Estes, an elderly man, was partially paralyzed and used a walker. Henry and Foote took Estes to a desert, where they cut his throat and stabbed him in the heart.
After hiding Estes' body behind a bush, Henry and Foote drove back to Highway 93, where police officers stopped Henry, who was driving the wrong way on the highway. Henry gave the police a false name and was arrested for drunk driving.
On June 8, 1986, after learning Henry's true name and that Estes was missing, the police questioned Henry about Estes' whereabouts. Henry immediately blamed Foote for killing Estes and led police to the body.
In a separate trial, Foote was convicted of robbery and theft, but the jury could not reach a verdict on the murder charge. Foote later pled guilty to attempted first-degree murder.

Murray Hooper
On the evening of December 31, 1980, William Bracy and Murray Hooper and Edward McCall (a former Phoenix police officer) went to the Home of Patrick Redmond in Phoenix. Mr. Redmond, his wife, and his mother-in-law, Helen Phelps, were at home preparing for a New Year's Eve party.
Bracy, Hooper, and McCall entered the house at gunpoint and forced the Redmonds and Mrs. Phelps into the master bedroom. After taking jewelry and money, the intruders bound and gagged the victims. They then shot each victim in the head and also slashed Mr. Redmond's throat.
Mr. Redmond and Mrs. Phelps died from their wounds, but Mrs. Redmond survived and later identified all three killers. Bracy and Hooper were convicted of the murders following a joint trial.
McCall and Robert Cruz (who was alleged to have hired the killers) were also convicted of the murders following a joint trial. Cruz won a new trial on appeal, was convicted again, won another new trial on appeal, and was ultimately found not guilty. Joyce Lukezic (the wife of Mr. Redmond's business partner) was also charged with the murders, and was convicted in a separate trial. After obtaining a new trial, she was found not guilty.

Richard Hurles
On November 12, 1992, two witnesses observed Hurles in the Buckeye Public library looking at childrens' books. At about 3:00 p.m., two men tried to enter the library, but found the front door locked. As these men were trying to get in, another witness saw Hurles leaving from the rear door of the library. One of the men looked in a window, and saw a woman, who was the librarian, lying in a pool of blood.
When the police arrived, they found that the victim's blouse was bloody, her skirt was pulled up around her waist, and she was naked from the waist down. The victim had been stabbed 37 times, and later died from these stab wounds.
That same afternoon, Hurles went to his nephew's house and asked his nephew to give him a ride to the Phoenix Greyhound bus station. On the way to Phoenix, Hurles threw a bloody teeshirt and blue jeans into the desert. He was later arrested when the bus stopped in Wickenberg.

Granny B

September 19, 2012, 06:23:33 PM Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 06:41:34 PM by Granny B
David Lamar Anthony added to the list.  And I updated Cropper.
" Closure? Closure is a misused word in the English language.  There is no such thing as closure for the family of a murder victim.  There will never be any closure for the death of our loved ones until we are dead ourselves.  The families have a lifetime sentence of anguish and sadness." 
Susan Levy

Go Up