Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on Twitter

Author Topic: Saudi Arabia DP News  (Read 28014 times)

Offline Granny B

• Administrator
  • Fanatic
  • I'd like to help U out. Which way did U come in?
Re: Saudi Arabia DP News
« Reply #150 on: February 14, 2012, 10:45:11 AM »
Saudi Arabia on Tuesday beheaded two men convicted of drug trafficking in the ultra-conservative kingdom

Question:  Do you know if it is done by quick slicing with a sharp blade or slow sawing with a dull knife?

Who cares?  I wish that would happen to the drug cartel members, and the Mexican Mafia, who are cutting off people's heads in the US and Mexico.

Maybe a few heads on pike poles as in the Medieval times might discourage some murder and drug activity!
" Closure? Closure is a misused word in the English language.  There is no such thing as closure for the family of a murder victim.  There will never be any closure for the death of our loved ones until we are dead ourselves.  The families have a lifetime sentence of anguish and sadness." 
Susan Levy

Offline JeffB

• Fanatic
  • Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?
« Reply #151 on: February 14, 2012, 10:51:05 AM »
A good article on Saudi executions:

Chop Chop Square
Where capital punishment is a public spectacle

by Adam St. Patrick, from the Walrus
September-October, 2009

A slender sword—four feet of shining steel, curved at the end—hovers high above a kneeling figure shrouded in white. Only the kneeler’s neck is exposed. Sixty or so men watch from the edge of a granite courtyard, behind a patchy line of eight soldiers in tan uniforms. The man wielding the sword looms high, almost spectral, in a flowing white dishdasha and a red-checked head cloth. He is ready to swing but then steps back. He huddles with two police officers and the one person who can make this stop: the victim of the crime that’s being punished.

The huddle breaks, and the executioner retakes his position, left of the condemned. He sets his right leg forward and his left leg back, as if he’s about to stretch his left calf. Sunlight flashes on the blade as he draws it above his head.

This is Saudi Arabia, one of the last places on earth where capital punishment is a public spectacle. Decapitation awaits murderers, but the death penalty also applies to many other crimes, such as armed robbery, rape, adultery, drug use and trafficking, and renouncing Islam. There’s a woman on death row for witchcraft; the charge is based partly on a man’s accusation that her spell made him impotent. Some 1,800 convicts were executed in Saudi Arabia between 1985 and 2008, yet reliable information about the practice is scarce. In Riyadh, beheadings happen at 9 a.m. any given day of the week. There is no advance notice. There is also no written penal code, so questions of illegality depend on the on-the-spot interpretations of police and judges.

What’s certain is that the Koran guides the justice system, with some laws passed regarding areas the holy book does not address. The Saudi interpretation of the Koran discourages all forms of evidence other than confessions and eyewitness accounts in capital trials, on the theory that doing otherwise would leave too much discretion to the judge. But at any time until the sword strikes, a victim’s family can pardon the condemned—usually for a cash settlement of at least 2 million riyals ($530,000 or so) from the convict or a member of the convict’s family.

In rare cases, often politically sensitive ones, King Abdullah grants a pardon, one of the last hopes for Canadian national Mohamed Kohail, 24, who faces beheading after being convicted for the murder of a Syrian youth during a schoolyard brawl in Jeddah. His younger brother Sultan, who reportedly instigated the fight by insulting a Syrian girl, could also face the death penalty, as his case has been transferred to an adult court on appeal. Allegedly, Mohamed was told that if he signed a document stating that he punched the victim, he would be freed. Many who live to recount their experience in the Saudi justice system report that police promised freedom in exchange for a confession—or tortured them to get one.

In Riyadh, beheadings take place in a downtown public square equipped with a drain the size of a pizza box in its center. Expatriates call it Chop Chop Square. I showed up at 9 a.m. most days for several weeks. After arriving at the barren granite expanse for yet another morning, I’d drink tea with merchants in the bazaar next door. Popular opinion seems to allow more respect for the executioners than sympathy for those who are wrongfully convicted, and rumors about the mysterious swordsmen abound.

“He must kill,” one carpet dealer told me. “If he doesn’t kill for a few days, they give him a sheep to kill.” The job is a coveted one, often passed from father to son. In a Lebanese television clip on YouTube, a Saudi executioner shows off his swords and describes his approach: “If the heart is compassionate, the hand fails.”

Still, the process is less overtly public than it once was. Corpses aren’t hung for display in the square as often, and beheadings drew bigger crowds when they were a regular event, held on Fridays after noon prayers. No formal fanfare begins or ends them now, and nothing indicates awareness or concern about how alien this is to outsiders.

At 8:55 a.m. on a Monday morning, I arrive at Chop Chop Square for my regular check-in. In the middle there is a police car, a yellow van, and the executioner in a crisp white dishdasha. Despite all I’ve learned in the past two weeks, what is about to happen still seems impossible.

At 9 a.m. the executioner gently lowers the blade to jab at the condemned’s neck, which jerks the prisoner’s body to attention. Then the real blow: The blade is drawn high up, then swung back down. It cleaves skin, muscle, and bone with a hollow, echoing thud. A lurid crimson waterfall chases the head to the granite with the sound of a wet rag being wrung out over a stainless steel sink. The body sways forward, snaps up, and slumps off to the right.

The executioner wipes his blade with a white cloth that he then tosses away. It flutters in small arcs as two men in blue jumpsuits descend from the yellow van, hoist the body, and lay it on a stretcher. One grabs the head by the cloth tube that covers it. A loudspeaker lists the decapitated man’s crimes: rape, drug trafficking, and possession. A thickly bearded soldier claps his hands and wipes them against each other in the air—that’s it. By 9:05, the only other person in Chop Chop Square is a janitor, hosing down the granite.

Reprinted from the Walrus (May 2009), a Canadian general interest magazine with international scope. Winner of the 2009 Utne Independent Press Award for best writing. www.walrusmagazine.com

http://www.utne.com/GreatWriting/Chop-Chop-Square-Public-Execution-Saudi-Arabia.aspx

"SO SUCK IT YOU "BLUE COOLER" DOPE!"  -  Sylar24

Offline Grinning Grim Reaper

• Fanatic
  • Genghis Khan was a Liberal
« Reply #152 on: February 14, 2012, 12:00:01 PM »
It is done with the use of a scimitar - a long (about 4 ft long) blade with a "quick slice" as you put it...

So much like Frenchy's guillotine it is over in an instant...outside of the anxiety no pain whatsoever.  Too bad!  8)
Vengence is mine saith the Lord...who are we to question the instruments used to carry it out?

Offline leopard32

• Fanatic
« Reply #153 on: February 25, 2012, 01:54:52 AM »
02/24
Saudi Arabia on Friday beheaded a man convicted of trafficking drugs in the kingdom, the interior ministry said. The ministry in a statement carried by the official SPA news agency said Wahid Atawi, a Saudi national, had confessed to bringing a quantity of hashish into the country in a bid to sell the banned substance. His beheading brings to nine the number of people executed since the beginning of the year in the kingdom, according to an AFP tally based on official reports.

Offline leopard32

• Fanatic
« Reply #154 on: March 02, 2012, 07:37:37 AM »
03/02
Saudi Arabia beheaded a man on Friday after he was convicted of drug trafficking, the kingdom's interior ministry said.

Majid al-Anzi, a Saudi national, was convicted of smuggling over one million "banned narcotic pills" into the country, said the statement carried by state news agency SPA.

He was beheaded in the northern city of Tabuk, it said.

His death brings to 10 the number of people executed in Saudi Arabia since the beginning of the year, according to an AFP tally based on official reports.

Offline leopard32

• Fanatic
« Reply #155 on: March 07, 2012, 03:36:38 AM »
03/07
Saudi Arabia on Wednesday beheaded a man found guilty of shooting dead a fellow Saudi during a dispute, the interior ministry said.

Basam al-Yami was executed in the eastern city of Damam after he "shot dead" Abdullah al-Dosari, said a ministry statement carried by state news agency SPA.

The beheading brings to 11 the number of people executed in Saudi Arabia since the beginning of the year, according to an AFP tally based on official reports.

Offline leopard32

• Fanatic
« Reply #156 on: March 13, 2012, 04:46:02 AM »
03/13
Saudi Arabia on Tuesday executed a Saudi who killed a man in a tribal feud as well as a Syrian drug smuggler, the ministry of interior announced.

"Humam Eid al-Kindar, a Syrian, was arrested for smuggling 169,000 banned pills," state news agency SPA quoted a ministry statement as saying.

Kindar was beheaded by the sword in the kingdom's northern province of Jawf, it said.

The statement added that Saeed al-Ahmari, a Saudi, was convicted of shooting dead fellow citizen Ali al-Ahmar at a police station during a tribal feud. He was executed in the southwestern city of Abha.

The beheadings bring to 13 the number of people executed in Saudi Arabia since the beginning of the year, according to an Agence France Presse tally based on official reports.

Offline leopard32

• Fanatic
« Reply #157 on: March 14, 2012, 10:46:23 AM »
03/14

Saudi Arabia on Wednesday executed in the kingdom's east a man convicted of strangling his mother to death, the interior ministry announced in a statement.

Masallah al-Shemari, a Saudi, "strangled his mother to death before beheading her," said the statement carried by official news agency SPA.

Shemari was beheaded by the sword in the eastern Saudi port city of Jubail, it said.

His beheading bring to three the number of people executed in Saudi Arabia this week and to 14 the number since the beginning of the year, according to an AFP tally based on official reports.

Read more: http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Middle-East/2012/Mar-14/166628-saudi-executes-man-who-strangled-mother.ashx#ixzz1p79fYyls
(The Daily Star :: Lebanon News :: http://www.dailystar.com.lb)

Offline leopard32

• Fanatic
« Reply #158 on: March 17, 2012, 04:28:55 AM »
03/16

Saudi Arabia has executed an Egyptian convicted of murdering a citizen of the kingdom, the interior ministry said in a statement published by the Saudi press on Saturday.

Nabil Al-Atwa was beheaded in the capital Riyadh late on Friday after being convicted of murdering Abdullah Al-Buheiri "by hitting him on the head with a hammer after a financial disagreement" between the two, the ministry said.

Atwa's execution brings the number of beheadings in the kingdom so far this year to 15, according to an AFP tally based on official reports.

Offline leopard32

• Fanatic
« Reply #159 on: April 04, 2012, 02:46:44 AM »
04/03

Saudi Arabia beheaded a Pakistani man on Tuesday after he was convicted of smuggling a "large amount" of heroin into the kingdom, the interior ministry said.

"Salim Shah Sayed Shah, a Pakistani, was accused of smuggling a large amount of the heroin drug into the kingdom," said an interior ministry statement, adding that he was executed in Mecca.

On Sunday, the interior ministry said that the kingdom had arrested 681 people over the past four months allegedly involved in trafficking of drugs worth around $460 million.

Offline leopard32

• Fanatic
« Reply #160 on: April 09, 2012, 08:55:25 AM »
04/09

Two brothers sentenced to death for murdering a fellow Saudi were decapitated by the sword in the city of Jeddah on Monday, the interior ministry said.

Mohammed and Selim al-Madhiribi al-Shamali were convicted of hitting Saad al-Madhiribi on the head with a hammer and then stabbing him to death in a business dispute, it said in a statement carried by the state news agency SPA.

Their beheadings took to 19 the total number of executions so far this year, according to a tally based on official reports.

Offline AnneTheBelgian

• Fanatic
  • PRO DEATH PENALTY, BELGIAN, CHRISTIAN, ROYALIST
Saudi Arabia Death Penalty News
« Reply #161 on: April 12, 2012, 05:38:37 AM »
http://globalnation.inquirer.net/32665/filipino-spared-from-death-penalty-in-saudi

AFTER 11 YEARS IN PRISON

Filipino spared from death in Saudi

By Matikas Santos

INQUIRER.net

7:09 pm | Thursday, April 12th, 2012

Originally posted at 10:11 a.m.

MANILA, Philippines—A doomed Filipino worker who tirelessly campaigned on Facebook for his freedom will soon walk out of Saudi Arabia prison as a free man, a migrant campaign group announced on Thursday.

Rogelio “Dondon” Lanuza, who was on a death row and spent more than 11 years in Dammam Jail for killing a Saudi national who tried to sexually abuse him, will be freed after the aggrieved family accepted the blood money, Migrante-Middle East regional coordinator John Leonard Monterona said.

“At last, my ordeal comes to an end,” Lanuza said in a statement released by Migrante-Middle East.

“I have been in this dire situation for the past few years and the flame of hope was about to be extinguished, yet people from all walks of life have encouraged me to continue my plight, and for that I am truly grateful,” Lanuza said.

Monterona said the “formal blood money acceptance of the aggrieved family” spared Lanuza’s life. His death sentence by beheading was confirmed by Saudi’s highest court in 2001.

A reconciliation team led by former Ambassador Antonio Villamor was successful “in convincing the aggrieved family to formally accept the blood money offered by Lanuza’s party,” the statement said.

The money was raised through the online campaign “Barya Mo, Buhay Ko” on the social networking site Facebook where Lanuza has at least four full fan pages.

Filipino-American philanthropist Loida Nicolas Lewis also actively raised funds and campaigned for his release.

“Ma’am Loida Nicolas Lewis has proven to be the final catalyst for my case to lift off to its realization. She, being a model of sincerity a God fearing woman and the epitome of a Filipina for a just cause was the moving hand towards my appeal to influential and common people alike to push my case forward. I am forever indebted to you and pray that your tribe increase,” said Lanuza.

Lanuza said that the influence of social networks helped make his “predicament known to countless countrymen from abroad and [in] the Philippines.”

“I am so blessed and humbled to those faceless men and women who have contributed financially for my cause including the Filipino Community Groups and our unsung Household Workers who did not blink to shell off their hard earned money to help me out,” Lanuza said.

Lanuza also thanked the media “who have followed my case ever so faithfully” to keep the issue in the public sphere.

“Being behind bars has opened my eyes to how much freedom can be so delicate that taking things for granted in the future is no longer an option for me,” Lanuza said.

“I am forever in the debts of such fine and noble people and the Filipino community for helping me realize my dream to finally be with my family and to become fruitful once again to the society,” he said.

Lanuza argued during the trial he killed the Arab man as an act of self defense. The incident occurred in August 10, 2000, when Lanuza and his friends came back to the house of their Arab host after partying.

“I was defending my dignity,” said Lanuza.

In an unanswered letter of appeal to President Benigno Aquino on October 8, 2010, Lanuza said that he “was charged with and convicted for the killing of a Saudi national, who attempted to sexually abuse his person.”

Migrante-ME called on the Philippine government to also help save other Filipinos on a death row in the Middle East.

“There are about eight OFWs languishing in various jails in the Middle East, six of them were sentenced to death, four are facing possible death sentence upon conviction on various criminal offenses,” Montenora said.

Photo : Rogelio “Dondon” Lanuza

Anne
"DEATH PENALTY OPPONENTS WHO TWIST THE TRUTH TO PROTECT KILLERS ARE ALSO TORTURING VICTIMS FAMILIES" (PETER BRONSON, CINCINNATI ENQUIRER,FEBRUARY 3, 2003)

PRO DEATH PENALTY AND PROUD OF IT !!!

JE MAINTIENDRAI (MOTTO OF WILLIAM I THE SILENT, PRINCE OF ORANGE, 1533 - 1584, MOTTO OF THE NETHERLANDS)

DEO JUVANTE (MOTTO OF THE PRINCIPALITY OF MONACO)

PROUD TO BE BELGIAN !!! I LOVE MY KINGDOM !!!

Offline leopard32

• Fanatic
« Reply #162 on: April 20, 2012, 11:43:38 AM »
04/20

Saudi Arabia beheaded and crucified a Sudanese man in Riyadh on Friday after he was convicted of raping, robbing and killing a woman, the interior ministry announced.

Abdulrahman Zine Elabidine "broke into a house strangling its owner to death while she was asleep."

He also raped her and stole 165,000 riyals ($44,000) as well as gold jewelry, said the statement carried by state news agency SPA.

He then set the house on fire.

His beheading brought the total number of executions in the ultra-conservative kingdom to 20 so far this year, according to an AFP tally based on official reports.

Offline leopard32

• Fanatic
« Reply #163 on: April 26, 2012, 07:13:57 AM »
04/26

Saudi Arabia beheaded a man for murder on Thursday in the kingdom's southeastern region of Asir, the interior ministry said.

Zaher bin Ali al-Shihri was found guilty of stabbing fellow Saudi Mohammed bin Hadi al-Qahtani after a disagreement, according to a statement published on the official SPA news agency.

Shihri's beheading brings the total number of executions in the ultra-conservative kingdom to 21 so far this year, according to an AFP tally based on official reports.

Offline leopard32

• Fanatic
« Reply #164 on: May 01, 2012, 03:19:35 AM »
5/01

Saudi Arabia beheaded on Tuesday two Bangladeshis convicted of killing and robbing a fellow citizen in the kingdom, the interior ministry announced.

Nujum Abdulshrif and Abdulmajed Hamza killed Mohammed Kabir, also Bangladeshi, the state news agency SPA reported quoting the ministry.

They "suffocated him, beat him on his head using a thick stick, and strangled him" to death, the report said, adding they then stole Kabir's money and cell phones. The two men were beheaded in Jizan, in the kingdom's south.

Their beheading brings the total number of executions in the ultra-conservative kingdom to 23 so far this year, according to an Agence France Presse tally based on official reports.

Under the AFP count, at least 76 people were beheaded in 2011 in Saudi Arabia, while rights group Amnesty International put the number of executions last year at 79.