Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on Twitter

Author Topic: New pro-death-penalty article in the American Journal of Bioethics  (Read 969 times)

gurnicterus

Hi. I'm new to this forum. I saw this article in the American Journal of Bioethics. It certainly challenges some of the arguments used by abolitionists. Now there is another academic article that can be quoted when debating anti-death penalty activists.

Offline Eryn Baugh

• Administrator
  • Fanatic
  • 2 days to go and...the TCCA has a brainfart
Re: New pro-death-penalty article in the American Journal of Bioethics
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 06:34:18 AM »
Hi. I'm new to this forum. I saw this article in the American Journal of Bioethics. It certainly challenges some of the arguments used by abolitionists. Now there is another academic article that can be quoted when debating anti-death penalty activists.

You got a link to the article?

Oh...welcome to the forums!
When a murder is committed, a horrible fate
is thrust upon the victim's family.

The surviving family is unwillingly sentenced to a life of hell...chained to the fate of the person who took their loved ones' lives.  We are counting down the days until our sentence is lifted and we are set free.

Offline tpgisgay

• Resident
  • DR Blog Whore
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 08:51:35 AM »
Eryn, it might be this....

http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~content=a905338461~db=all

Or it could be the file I am going to try to attach. Major props to the op for including the link. ???

gurnicterus

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 02:05:18 PM »
... hello again. Sorry I didn't put the link in before.

The article is called "The ethical elephant in the death penalty room". You can go to the article via the link that was posted by tpgisgay.

Or you can go to bioethics.net and go to current table of contents.

According to the publisher's website the American Journal of Bioethics is the highest read of all the ethics journals. At least now there is an academic response to many of the illogical anti-death penalty arguments.

Offline Granny B

• Administrator
  • Fanatic
  • I'd like to help U out. Which way did U come in?
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 12:54:51 PM »
I don't like to have to go look up stuff.  So I am posting what I found for others here:

Abstract
The United States Supreme Court recently ruled that execution by a commonly used protocol of drug administration does not represent cruel or unusual punishment. Various medical journals have editorialized on this drug protocol, the death penalty in general and the role that physicians play. Many physicians, and societies of physicians, express the opinion that it is unethical for doctors to participate in executions. This Target Article explores the harm that occurs to murder victims' relatives when an execution is delayed or indefinitely postponed. By using established principles in psychiatry and the science of the brain, it is shown that victims' relatives can suffer brain damage when justice is not done. Conversely, adequate justice can reverse some of those changes in the brain. Thus, physician opposition to capital punishment may be contributing to significant harm. In this context, the ethics of physician involvement in lethal injection is complex. 

Keywords: Brain injury; law; mental health; professional ethics; religion; risk/benefit analysis 
" Closure? Closure is a misused word in the English language.  There is no such thing as closure for the family of a murder victim.  There will never be any closure for the death of our loved ones until we are dead ourselves.  The families have a lifetime sentence of anguish and sadness." 
Susan Levy

Offline FuroraCeltica

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 01:06:25 AM »
I don't like to have to go look up stuff.  So I am posting what I found for others here:

Abstract
The United States Supreme Court recently ruled that execution by a commonly used protocol of drug administration does not represent cruel or unusual punishment. Various medical journals have editorialized on this drug protocol, the death penalty in general and the role that physicians play. Many physicians, and societies of physicians, express the opinion that it is unethical for doctors to participate in executions. This Target Article explores the harm that occurs to murder victims' relatives when an execution is delayed or indefinitely postponed. By using established principles in psychiatry and the science of the brain, it is shown that victims' relatives can suffer brain damage when justice is not done. Conversely, adequate justice can reverse some of those changes in the brain. Thus, physician opposition to capital punishment may be contributing to significant harm. In this context, the ethics of physician involvement in lethal injection is complex. 

Good to see someone in academia putting the victims rights first  :)

Offline Granny B

• Administrator
  • Fanatic
  • I'd like to help U out. Which way did U come in?
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 04:46:58 PM »
SOOOOOOO!  That's why I am dain bramaged!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
" Closure? Closure is a misused word in the English language.  There is no such thing as closure for the family of a murder victim.  There will never be any closure for the death of our loved ones until we are dead ourselves.  The families have a lifetime sentence of anguish and sadness." 
Susan Levy