Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on Twitter

Author Topic: Garland Bernell Harper - released early, kills fiance and her children.  (Read 6279 times)

Offline Hutchsmash

• Fanatic
    • MSN Messenger - hutcherhl@gmail.com
Triple Slaying Suspect Served 9 Of 40-Year Sentence

POSTED: 4:19 pm CDT October 27, 2008
UPDATED: 5:57 pm CDT October 27, 2008

HOUSTON -- A man accused of killing his fiancé and her two daughters in their southwest Houston condominium was released from prison earlier this year after serving less than a quarter of his sentence, KPRC Local 2 reported Monday.

Garland Bernell Harper, 38, has been charged with capital murder.

Police said he confessed to killing Triska Rose, 38, Briana Roberson, 15, and Maya Love, 7, in a unit at the Terrace Condominiums, 10555 Turtlewood Court, shortly after 5 p.m. Friday.

The victims were bound, stabbed and strangled, investigators said.

Police said the slayings happened seven months after Harper was released from prison for an aggravated robbery conviction. He was sentenced to 40 years and released after serving nine years.

Harper has been in and out of prison for the past two decades.

In November 1990, Harper served two years of a 15-year sentence for robbery and making threats.

In September 1992, he served six months of a seven-year sentence for robbery.

In March 1999, he was sentenced to 40 years for aggravated robbery.

Harper served 11½ years after being sentenced to 62 years in prison.

Harper pleaded guilty in all three cases.

"The reality is it shouldn't have happened and our system should have known better," said Andy Kahan with the mayor's crime victim's office. "Prisons are made for people like Harper, for violent offenders to serve their sentence. And it didn't happen in this case. And this family paid the ultimate price."

Harper is being held in the Harris County Jail without a bond.

Harper is an admitted drug user who said he needs help. But Harper's substance abuse counselor called him "a great manipulator."

The Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles did not provide a reason as to why Harper was released.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/17816086/detail.html

WTF!! >:(  11.5 years served of a total of 62 years sentenced, complete BS!  Hopefully this time this jerk gets the needle. 
"How come life in prison doesn't mean life? Until it does, we're not ready to do away with the death penalty. Stop thinking in terms of "punishment" for a minute and think in terms of safeguarding innocent people from incorrigible murderers."

JESSE VENTURA, I Ain't Got Time to Bleed

Offline Jeff1857

• Fanatic
Re: Garland Bernell Harper - released early, kills fiance and her children.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 05:13:50 AM »
With his past criminal history I would say it's a pretty good likelihood that he will face the DP.

Offline JeffB

• Fanatic
  • Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 07:14:02 AM »
I don't think there is any question at all.  This cat is violent and it appears that no amount of time incarcerated will ever change that.  For a the prosecuting attorney, this is a no brainer.
"SO SUCK IT YOU "BLUE COOLER" DOPE!"  -  Sylar24

Offline RevKev

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 07:54:32 AM »
With his past criminal history I would say it's a pretty good likelihood that he will face the DP.

He certainly deserves the DP. But without an accompaning charge, i.e., robbery, sexual assault, etc., he will probably get life in prison.

Offline Hutchsmash

• Fanatic
    • MSN Messenger - hutcherhl@gmail.com
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 08:32:11 AM »
Are multipule murder and past violent criminal convitions aggrivating factors for Capitol Murder in Texas?  I really have no clue. ???
"How come life in prison doesn't mean life? Until it does, we're not ready to do away with the death penalty. Stop thinking in terms of "punishment" for a minute and think in terms of safeguarding innocent people from incorrigible murderers."

JESSE VENTURA, I Ain't Got Time to Bleed

ExTxDRCO

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 09:30:13 AM »
Are multipule murder and past violent criminal convitions aggrivating factors for Capitol Murder in Texas?  I really have no clue. ???

His Attorny's will try to get LWOP..
DP for Multiple murders (Especially with a Child involved) is pretty much standard in TX..

Offline Michael

• Fanatic
  • Strange things happen.
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 11:23:55 AM »

That doesen´t help his victims - it´s a scandal that he had been released so early.

Best

Michael
I´m not sure if there´s a hell, but I believe in executed murderers.

Offline Granny B

• Administrator
  • Fanatic
  • I'd like to help U out. Which way did U come in?
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 02:38:54 PM »

His Attorny's will try to get LWOP..
DP for Multiple murders (Especially with a Child involved) is pretty much standard in TX..

But only if the child is under the age of 6, I think.  But in this case, with multiple murders he may get the DP.  At least I sure hope and pray he does. 

Another nasty turned back on the unsuspecting public! :'(
" Closure? Closure is a misused word in the English language.  There is no such thing as closure for the family of a murder victim.  There will never be any closure for the death of our loved ones until we are dead ourselves.  The families have a lifetime sentence of anguish and sadness." 
Susan Levy

Offline Russki

• Fanatic
  • Российская Федерация
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 10:09:35 AM »
How often is this going to happen? It is the same with disturbed people who are let out only to murder again,

Frenchy
Bombs do not choose. They will hit everything   ... Nikita Khrushchev

I once said, "We will bury you," and I got into trouble with it. Of course we will not bury you with a shovel. Your own working class will bury you.  ... Nikita Khrushchev

Offline vikkiw47

• Fanatic
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - vikkiw47
 i could not find any update on this one, just that he has been charged with capital murder. Does anyone else know of any updates on this guy
Justice is not about bringing back the dead. It is not about revenge either. Justice is about enforcing consequences for one's own actions to endorse personal responsibility. We cannot expect anyone to take responsibility for their own actions if these consequences are not enforced in full.

Offline 63Wildcat

• Fanatic
  • Don't Tread On Me
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 05:37:38 PM »
How often is this going to happen? It is the same with disturbed people who are let out only to murder again,

Frenchy

Welcome to America...sheeeessshhhhhh...
"..the death of any public servant or innocent is a tragedy... the death of a murderer is a mere statistic..."  -63Wildcat

AS OF TOMORROW I'M TURNING GRAVITY OFF...

Offline Russki

• Fanatic
  • Российская Федерация
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 10:51:15 AM »
Not just America, my friend...this is also France. One could of course argue that most repeat offenders do not graduate to murder. One could also argue that all who do not complete their high school education (in the US) or Baccalauréat (France) should be locked up automatically, as statistically, they are the bulk of offenders!

Frenchy
Bombs do not choose. They will hit everything   ... Nikita Khrushchev

I once said, "We will bury you," and I got into trouble with it. Of course we will not bury you with a shovel. Your own working class will bury you.  ... Nikita Khrushchev

Offline ggbop

• Fanatic
  • PRO-DP Scot who is hated by PTO - I am blessed
    • MSN Messenger - glynisf@hotmail.com
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 05:16:42 AM »
Man gets death penalty for killing three in SW Houston
By BRIAN ROGERS
Copyright 2010 HOUSTON CHRONICLE
Oct. 18, 2010, 2:43PM

TDCJ
Garland Bernell Harper

Del.icio.usDiggTwitterYahoo! BuzzFacebookStumbleUponEmail Close [X]
A Harris County jury today sentenced Garland Bernell Harper to death for stabbing his 38-year-old girlfriend and strangling her two daughters.

Harper, 40, was living with Triska Lashaun Rose in a southwest Houston condo for several months before beginning to stalk her and accuse her of cheating on him. He eventually tied her up, stabbed her and slit her throat on Oct. 24, 2008, prosecuters said.

Harper also was accused of binding, then strangling Briana Roberson, 15, and Mya Love, 7. Harper was not the children's father.

Harper was dating Rose in 1998, when he was arrested for aggravated robbery. He pleaded guilty, was sentenced to 40 years in prison and was released after nine years, according to court records. After his release, the two were together for the seven months before her death.

Defense lawyers described Harper as a mentally ill man with a drug problem, which made him delusional, believing Rose was having an affair with a man Harper could never catch.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7252377.html

Genesis 9:6
"Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed; for in the image of God has God made man. "

Offline TheSurgeon345

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 07:59:16 AM »
Someone in the Corrections system should get fired for this.

Offline JTiscool

• Fanatic
  • Uses logic to outwit thuglovers, 1 scum at a time.
    • MSN Messenger - jtyugioh@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - hellkaiserjt
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 01:41:33 PM »
I honestly hate the cost of what we pay to prove the death penalty works. I wish it could be proven without anyone needing to be killed due to gross negligence in the criminal justice system  >:(
My reason for supporting the death penalty? A murderer has less of a right to live than his victim and already presents a danger while incarcerated for life. They have nothing to lose when the most they can get is Life in prison without parole.