Melbert Ray Ford - Georgia - 6/9/10

Started by Jeff1857, October 28, 2008, 04:59:51 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Jeff1857

October 28, 2008, 04:59:51 AM Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 12:23:28 PM by Jeff1857
Federal court denies death row appeal

The federal appeals court in Atlanta has denied an appeal by Georgia death row inmate Melbert Ray Ford, who was convicted of killing his former girlfriend and another woman in a 1986 robbery at the Newton County grocery store where they worked.

A 3-judge panel of the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Monday upheld a federal judge's denial of Ford's habeas corpus petition.

Ford claimed that his constitutional rights were violated and that he had ineffective assistance of counsel at his sentencing for the deaths of Martha Matich and Lisa Chapman.

(source: Associated Press)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Looks like Georgia will have another one in the not so distant future.

JeffB

Sure does.  Add him to the que...
"SO SUCK IT YOU "BLUE COOLER" DOPE!"  -  Sylar24

heidi salazar

February 06, 2010, 12:41:00 AM Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 08:25:28 PM by ScoopD
 :(Ga. man convicted of killing 2 to be executed :(

A judge signed a warrant Friday for the execution of Melbert Ray Ford, who was convicted in the 1986 killings of his former girlfriend and her 11-year-old niece after she broke up with him.

Ford is set to be executed during a 7-day window that begins at noon on Feb. 23 and ends March 2. The Department of Corrections has not yet named a specific time and date for the execution.

Ford was convicted of killing Martha Chapman Matich and her niece Lisa Chapman in what prosecutors say was a revenge killing. They say Ford began harassing her with phone calls after the couple broke up, and that soon he was telling friends he wanted to kill her.

According to court records, this is how the killings unfolded:

Enraged at his ex-girlfriend, Ford tried to enlist several friends in a plot to drive him to the Newton County convenience store where she worked so he could rob the place and then attack her. Each effort failed until he met Roger Turner, a 19-year-old who was out of a job and nearly penniless. Ford plied Turner with alcohol and the promise of thousands of dollars in cash, eventually persuading him to join the plot.

The two drove in Turner's car to Chapman's Grocery shortly after it closed on March 6, 1986. Ford leapt out, shot away the lower half of the locked door and entered the store while Turner waited in the car. He later said he heard only screams and gunshots while waiting for Ford, who would soon emerge with a bag of money, according to court records.

When authorities arrived, they found Matich lying dead behind the counter, shot three times. Chapman was discovered sitting on a bucket in a bathroom, shot in the head and having convulsions. She died shortly after.

The 2 men were arrested the next day, and Turner confessed to authorities. Ford, meanwhile, told investigators the shooting began after Matich pushed the alarm button, and that if he had worn a mask it would not have happened.

A Newton County jury convicted Ford and sentenced him to death after an October 1986 trial in which he claimed he was too drunk to know what was happening, and that Turner was the one who entered the store and started firing.

In several appeals, Ford argued that the jury failed to find any aggravating circumstances that would have justified a capital sentence. He also contended that prosecutors suppressed evidence about Turner's drug use the night of the killings and claimed his trial lawyer was ineffective.

State and federal appeals courts, however, have repeatedly denied his claims and upheld the death sentence. And a petition to appeal the case to the U.S. Supreme Court was denied on Jan. 25.

(source: Associated Press)

Anne

Another child killed by a bastard... >:( >:(

Here is a photo of this scumbag...

http://www.jareds-law.com/Melbert%20Ray%20Ford%20Jr.html

Come on Georgia  :( :(

Anne

keizersoze

Just testing how to type.
Tryin to figure out who im answering and how.
Sorry for the bullshitpost guys..but if youd let me know if any gets this personally or if theres other ways of doin that i really appreciate it.

heidi salazar

Just testing how to type.
Tryin to figure out who im answering and how.
Sorry for the bullshitpost guys..but if youd let me know if any gets this personally or if theres other ways of doin that i really appreciate it.

If you reply to a thread (like you have done here) everyone on the forum can see what you have written. If you are trying to speak directly with a certain member click on their name, that will take you to their profile. Scroll down to send this member a message that will send an email directly to that member. That member will be the only one who can view that message.

keizersoze

Thank you for helping and teaching me that, but i was thinking more of how to answer a letter in a thread, maybe im doin it right now..i dont know.
Its juss that i saw options on top and underneath each page to answer, not after each letter.
Is it me that should get my eyes checked or isnt there such an option?

heidi salazar

Thank you for helping and teaching me that, but i was thinking more of how to answer a letter in a thread, maybe im doin it right now..i dont know.
Its juss that i saw options on top and underneath each page to answer, not after each letter.

If you want to answer a specific post as I am answering you now, look in the right top corner of the specific post, and choose the option quote. That option will copy what the poster has written, and then you can reply as I have.

If you want to just reply as you have been doing keep choosing the option reply that is located at the top and the bottom of the page.

Granny B

Keizer,

I modified your settings in your profile and turned on your quick reply so it will show at the bottom of the thread.  After you post, it will now show you what you posted before you leave the thread.

If you need more help let me know.

By the way, welcome to the forum. :-*
" Closure? Closure is a misused word in the English language.  There is no such thing as closure for the family of a murder victim.  There will never be any closure for the death of our loved ones until we are dead ourselves.  The families have a lifetime sentence of anguish and sadness." 
Susan Levy

JT

The State of Georgia usually conducts executions on Tuesdays, so I'm going to make an educated guess and tentatively put the date in the thread title as 02/24/10.
JT's Ridiculous Quote of the Century:
"I'm disgusted with the State for even putting me in this position."
-- Reginald Blanton, Texas death row.  As of October 27, 2009, Reggie's position has been in a coffin.

keizersoze

Keizer,

I modified your settings in your profile and turned on your quick reply so it will show at the bottom of the thread.  After you post, it will now show you what you posted before you leave the thread.

Thank you Grandmother of Brandon.Nice to meet you.

Not sure what difference it makesthe changes youve done since im new at this, but im pretty sure its to make it easier for me. so thank you for that  too.

Just an off topic question more...Is my mail adress public here..juss after registring i got what id call a spam mail from a person from here sayin my computers infected and needs sorting?

Thank you Heidi for bein helpful too.

Ok..no more off topic from me now..promise.

Looking forward to debating with you.

Granny B

Keizer,

Thank you Grandmother of Brandon.Nice to meet you.

Not sure what difference it makesthe changes youve done since im new at this, but im pretty sure its to make it easier for me. so thank you for that  too.

Just an off topic question more...Is my mail adress public here..juss after registring i got what id call a spam mail from a person from here sayin my computers infected and needs sorting?

Thank you Heidi for bein helpful too.

Ok..no more off topic from me now..promise.

Looking forward to debating with you.

OHHHHH CRAP! 

Just when you think you got rid of a spammer he comes back like an evil demon from hell!  Come to think of it, Spammers are demons from hell. >:(

Just so I don't have to repeat everything to you and others again, click on this thread about the spammer problem we are having.  http://off2dr.com/modules/smf/index.php?topic=8207.msg55061;topicseen#msg55061

Whatever you do, don't open the spammer's email!!  The thread will give you a more complete explanation of the problem and what to do about it.  Please report the spammer any time you get it so we can ban the twit!
" Closure? Closure is a misused word in the English language.  There is no such thing as closure for the family of a murder victim.  There will never be any closure for the death of our loved ones until we are dead ourselves.  The families have a lifetime sentence of anguish and sadness." 
Susan Levy

Jeff1857

February 19, 2010, 03:26:51 PM Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 03:31:10 PM by Jeff1857
Death row inmate granted 90-day stay

The Georgia Board of Pardons and Paroles on Thursday granted condemned killer Melbert Ray Ford Jr. a 90-day stay of execution because the 5-member board has only 4 members.

Ford sits on death row for the 1986 killings of his former girlfriend, Martha Matich, and her 11-year-old niece, Lisa Chapman, during a grocery store robbery in Newton County. He was scheduled to die by lethal injection at 7 p.m. Tuesday.

Gov. Sonny Perdue has yet to replace former parole board member Milton E. "Buddy" Nix, who served until the end of last year.

The board was scheduled to consider Ford's clemency petition early Tuesday. In a statement, the board said that the last time it heard a clemency petition without its entire five-member board, a court found the action unconstitutional.

This occurred in 2002 after an ethics scandal led to the resignations of 2 board members and only 1 of those vacancies was filled when the board considered and denied the clemency petition of death-row inmate Wallace Fugate. A Fulton County judge granted a stay, saying the board needed all its members, and the Georgia Supreme Court agreed.

After a 5th member was named, the board once again considered Fugate's petition for clemency and denied it. He was executed in August 2002.

(source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution)

JT

If they're struggling to find a new board member, I'm available... 8)
JT's Ridiculous Quote of the Century:
"I'm disgusted with the State for even putting me in this position."
-- Reginald Blanton, Texas death row.  As of October 27, 2009, Reggie's position has been in a coffin.

ScoopD (aka: Pam)

If they're struggling to find a new board member, I'm available... 8)

You have my vote.  ;D
<br /><br />If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine<br /><br />My reason for supporting capital punishment: My cousin 16 yr. old Amanda Greenwell was murdered in March of 2004 at the hands of serial killer Jeremy Bryan Jones.

Go Up