Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on Twitter

Author Topic: 30 days is almost up on this one...  (Read 4103 times)

Offline ScoopD (aka: Pam)

• Administrator
  • Fanatic
  • My BS'ometer is fully charged so bring it on!

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

My reason for supporting capital punishment: My cousin 16 yr. old Amanda Greenwell was murdered in March of 2004 at the hands of serial killer Jeremy Bryan Jones.

Offline Jeff1857

• Fanatic
Re: 30 days is almost up on this one...
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 02:14:39 PM »
AUSTIN Darlie Routier, a homemaker sent to death row after her two young sons were fatally stabbed in their upscale suburban house, on Wednesday was granted new DNA testing she hopes will prove her claim that the true killer was an intruder.

The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals ruled that Routier should be allowed to conduct new DNA testing on blood stains on clothing, hairs and dried flakes of a substance found near the garage of the Routier home in the Dallas suburb of Rowlett.

"This is an answer to a prayer," a tearful Darlie Kee, Routier's mother, told The Associated Press. "I'm not a scientist. But I know my daughter is innocent."

Routier's previous appeals to the court had been denied, but state law allows for post-conviction DNA testing in some cases.

Routier's children, Damon, 5, and Devon, 6, were stabbed to death in their home in 1996. Routier has maintained her innocence and claims an intruder attacked her and the boys then fled through the garage.

She was arrested two weeks after the murders. Her 1997 trial was moved to Kerrville because of publicity surrounding the case. She was convicted of capital murder for Damon's slaying and sentenced to death by lethal injection.

The items Routier can test were already tested for her trial. But her attorneys argue new, improved DNA technology could produce evidence to support her claim of an intruder.

A spokeswoman for Dallas County prosecutors did not immediately respond to telephone and e-mail messages seeking comment.

The items to be retested:

_Blood stains on her night shirt that previous tests showed to be soaked in blood from her and the boys. She claims newer techniques may find another source of blood.

_A blood stain on a tube sock found in an alley. The sock contained blood from both boys and a third blood stain that did not yield a result. The court agreed that newer techniques might yield a DNA result.

_Dried flakes on a utility room door. Although the flakes were previously tested and found not to include human DNA, Routier alleges they are dried blood that should be re-examined.

_Pubic and facial hairs. The pubic hair yielded no result and the facial hair was found to be from someone other than Routier or her husband. She maintains the facial hair is from the alleged intruder and hopes to connect it to the results from the other retested items.

The court denied retests of a bloody palm print on the coffee table and blood stains on a butcher knife, which investigators said was the murder weapon.

In granting the new testing, the court said the state's case against Routier remains strong, but if the new testing shows the results Routier alleges, there's a chance a jury would not convict her.

"There is at least a 51 percent likelihood that the jury would have seen her as a victim herself, or at least that it would have harbored a reasonable doubt that she was not," the court wrote.

Prosecutors alleged the motive for the killings was money. Darlie and Darin Routier were living an expensive lifestyle and financial pressures of credit cards and late mortgage payments were mounting, prosecutors said.

Darin Routier also acknowledged that a few months before the murders, he talked about hiring someone to break into the family's house in an insurance scam.

Kee said she and Routier's youngest son, 12-year-old Drake, visited her in prison Tuesday.

"He knows his mother is innocent," Kee said.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/5844667.html

Offline Mildred

• Fanatic
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - cinnyk1977
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 12:28:28 AM »
This is one of those I just dont get.  I listened to her 911 calls and considering I hear those damned things in my sleep sometimes, she sounded pretty legit.  But then again, maybe she's just a really damned good actress.

Offline RevKev

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 01:30:20 PM »
I've always wondered about Routier's husband. He claimed to be upstairs asleep during the entire incident. I believe Darlee is guilty, but wonder if her husband had any involvement? He always seemed so calm, and matter-of-factish about it.

Offline Granny B

• Administrator
  • Fanatic
  • I'd like to help U out. Which way did U come in?
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 10:26:18 PM »
RevKev, you could be right.  Take a look at this.

Affidavit of Darin Routier

In the Criminal District Court No.3

Dallas County, Texas

DARLIE LYNN ROUTIER

No. F96-39973-MJ          IN THE CRIMINAL

DISTRICT COURT

NO. 3 OF

DALLAS COUNTY, TEXAS

AFFIDAVIT OF DARIN ROUTIER

BEFORE ME, the undersigned authority, on this day personally appeared DARIN ROUTIER, who, being by me duly sworn on his oath, stated the following:

"My name is Darin Routier. I am over the age of twenty-one and I reside in McKinney, Texas. I am capable and fully competent to make this affidavit. The statement herein are true and correct to the best of my personal knowledge. I am the husband of the Petitioner, Darlie Lynn Routier.

"In 1994, I spoke to a person about my Jaguar automobile. In that conversation, I said that "it wouldn't bother me" if the Jaguar was stolen. That person then stole the Jaguar.

"In March or April, 1996, I asked my father-in-law Robbie Gene Kee, if he knew anyone who would agree to burglarize my home as part of an insurance scam. I said that I would arrange for my family to be absent from my house at 5801 Eagle Drive, that someone who I would hire would come to the house and take away the furniture and other items from my house in a U-Haul truck, and that I would then pay that person from the proceeds of the resulting insurance payments.

"Between March 1996 and May 1996, I told multiple people of my planned insurance scam.

"In the late evening on June 5, 1996, I had a verbal disagreement with my wife Darlie Lynn Routier. During that discussion, my wife asked me for a martial separation.

"I first met with attorney Douglas Mulder in July 1996. I met at least once a week with Mr. Mulder in July 1996. The subject of the meetings was Mr. Mulder's potential representation of my wife Darlie Lynn Routier and I in her criminal trial.

"I continued to meet with Mr. Mulder in August 1996. During one of the meetings I had with Mr. Mulder in August 1996, he told me that the court-appointed attorneys in my wife's case, Wayne Huff and Douglas Parks, had confided in him that they were going to try and portray me as the person guilty of the murder of my sons Damon and Devon because they thought that I had something to do with the deaths of my sons. I told Mr. Mulder that if we hired him, I did not want him to "go after" me. Mr. Mulder agreed that, if hired to represent my wife, he would not argue as part of the defense that I was in any way responsible for the death of my children.

"Between July 1996 and late September 1996, I continued to meet regularly with Mr. Mulder. On September 30, 1996, Mr. Mulder represented me at a show cause hearing before Judge Tolle where the State of Texas alleged that I violated a gag order in the criminal case against my wife. In September and October 1996, I believe, based on Mr. Mulder's comments to me, that he was my attorney.

"On October 21, 1996, Mr. Mulder became lead counsel in my wife's criminal trial."

[signed]

Darin Routier

SUBSCRIBED AND SWORN to before me on this the 11 day of July, 2002

Notary Public, State of Texas

But then there was this statement of the scene:

Twenty-eight-year-old Darin Routier had been awakened from sleep upstairs by his wife Darlie's screams and now rushed downstairs into the family's entertainment room. Before he had gone to bed hours earlier, the last he had seen of that den was a domestic scene: his children lying on the floor watching their big screen television and Darlie lying on the sofa near them, looking sexy in her Victoria's Secret nightshirt. 

Now, his two boys, Devon and Damon, lay blood-soaked while Darlie, her nightshirt covered in blood, paced in a paroxysm of panic shouting at the police dispatcher into the portable phone. Says Barbara Davis in her book, Precious Angels, "He saw blood everywhere... Darin rushed to Devon's side (and) saw two huge gashes in his son's chest where the six-year-old had been stabbed repeatedly. Checking for a pulse and feeling none, he looked at Devon's face. Eyes wide open...stared vacantly back." He then turned towards the other boy, five-year-old Damon, lying near a wall, his back to the room. "A small amount of blood was oozing through the back of his shorts," writes Davis. "Damon's lungs rattled as he struggled to suck in air.

"Torn between two sons, the horrified father momentarily panicked, then made the decision to begin cardiopulmonary resuscitation on the son who was not breathing. Darin placed his hand over Devon's nose and breathed into his child's mouth. Blood sprayed back onto the father's face."

And this statement from an officer at the scene on that night:

Away from the ears of the cameramen, Sgt. Walling drew his superior into his confidence; he looked stunned. "Lieutenant, you won't believe what Mr. Routier said to me right before he left to go to the hospital with his wife. He turned to me and I swear to God he said, 'Golly, I guess this is the biggest thing Rowlett's ever had.' The man had two of his children slaughtered tonight, and he's acting like the damn circus is in town!"

Darlie was callous and unfeeling about her children's deaths.  Darin at least tried to do CPR and keep one of the children alive.  As to Darin's  statement to the officer, I have seen people in shock say stupider things than that.

But it came as a surprise to me that he tried to hire someone to break into the home before this all occurred to collect insurance on stolen furniture.  That gives me pause, so to speak.  Hmmmmmmmm..................................... ???

" Closure? Closure is a misused word in the English language.  There is no such thing as closure for the family of a murder victim.  There will never be any closure for the death of our loved ones until we are dead ourselves.  The families have a lifetime sentence of anguish and sadness." 
Susan Levy

Offline porky2017

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 03:09:30 AM »
i think the husband had something to do with it,,i dont know how he could sleep through all that comotion,
& iam wondering how this dna is going to help her if it comes back in her advantage,if it does the onus is on her to
prove innocence beyond reasonable doubt,i think she is guilty there is to much evidence against her,& i think she cant implicate darren cause she will contradict herself.then they will both go down.

iamjumbo

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 06:07:30 AM »
I've always wondered about Routier's husband. He claimed to be upstairs asleep during the entire incident. I believe Darlee is guilty, but wonder if her husband had any involvement? He always seemed so calm, and matter-of-factish about it.

darin is obviously an accessory after the fact.  the murders were definitly committed by darlie, but darlie is too stupid to maneuver such an elaborate attempt at a coverup.  darin is the one who planted the sock, cut the screen from the inside, dumb move on his part also, and cleaned up the sink, although why clean up the sink and leave the mess on the floor in front of it.
neither one is overly bright, but, darlie decided to murder the boys and collect the life insurance.  when darin saw what she'd done, he tried to help her slide.
the retest will do nothing for her.  the hair is irrelevant in the first place, since we have to assume that they were not hermits and had any number of people at their house in the couple of years preceding the murders.
having the character that darlie does, if darin had killed the kids, she would have been screaming it to high heaven

Offline Jeff1857

• Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 09:51:15 AM »
I don't know about this one. One would THINK that the investigators would have been all over Darin about that. I would think well in my own mind that if the detectives/investigators etc would have had any suspicions of his involvement he would have been in a cell too.

iamjumbo

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 10:49:10 AM »
I don't know about this one. One would THINK that the investigators would have been all over Darin about that. I would think well in my own mind that if the detectives/investigators etc would have had any suspicions of his involvement he would have been in a cell too.

granted, most of it is conjecture, but based on reasonable deduction.  we know for a fact that there was no intruder.  darlie was bleeding from the wounds she inflicted on herself.  she would not have been able to put the sock in the alley without leaving a trail of blood.  unless she cut the screen before she murdered the kids, there would have been blood there also.  it's possible, but not likely, that darlie stood at the sink and cleaned it, and the blood left on the floor came while she was doing that.
still, neither one of them are smart, but darlie is downright stupid, and i just don't see her with the mental capacity to even think of doing any of the coverup, at least by herself

Offline Jeff1857

• Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 11:08:48 AM »
I'm in agreement with you there Jim. I don't believe there was an intruder either and I don't think either of them was very smart. If Darin was involved it's possible but just seems rather unlikely that she could have held out that information in the interrogations that followed without some kind of implication of him. I'm sure he went under some major interrogations too. Who knows maybe they both had Oscar winning performances.  ;)

iamjumbo

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 05:14:54 PM »
I'm in agreement with you there Jim. I don't believe there was an intruder either and I don't think either of them was very smart. If Darin was involved it's possible but just seems rather unlikely that she could have held out that information in the interrogations that followed without some kind of implication of him. I'm sure he went under some major interrogations too. Who knows maybe they both had Oscar winning performances.  ;)

i have no doubt that if there was any way to hang the murders on darin, she would have done it.  she's too much of a self centered bytch to take the fall for anyone if she could get out of it.  it's even conceivable that darin thought up the stupid conflict of interest trip that got shot down, but i have my doubts about that, again because i don't think he is smart enough.
nope, there's no question but that darlie is stuck with it.  this new testing is only going to hang her higher.

Offline pizzpoor

• Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 05:21:24 PM »
Well, is this offender any closer to a date? 

iamjumbo

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 09:58:20 AM »
Well, is this offender any closer to a date? 

short answer is NO.  she is still in the state courts

kat_the_rat

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 11:59:01 PM »
Hmmm..... well I read about this case months ago and they had a documentary on it as well on TV, what I read was Darlie Routier was money hungry and when they started running out of money she got angry that???
I was just wondering, did Devon and Damon have life insurance before they were murdered???
I to think that her husband had something to do with it, I mean come on how can someone be upstairs sleeping and not hear his children scream and cry when this was happening to them???
Another thing that makes me think, how can someone cut there own throat and give herself so many bruisers, to me it looks like someone else did that to her, not herself, this whole case sounds sus to me...
I think she is killed her sons but not sure she gave herself them injuries, thats why I am not completely sure about this case, its all to sus...
from Kat

Offline Granny B

• Administrator
  • Fanatic
  • I'd like to help U out. Which way did U come in?
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 08:23:35 AM »
Hmmm..... well I read about this case months ago and they had a documentary on it as well on TV, what I read was Darlie Routier was money hungry and when they started running out of money she got angry that???
I was just wondering, did Devon and Damon have life insurance before they were murdered???
I to think that her husband had something to do with it, I mean come on how can someone be upstairs sleeping and not hear his children scream and cry when this was happening to them???
Another thing that makes me think, how can someone cut there own throat and give herself so many bruisers, to me it looks like someone else did that to her, not herself, this whole case sounds sus to me...
I think she is killed her sons but not sure she gave herself them injuries, thats why I am not completely sure about this case, its all to sus...
from Kat

I believe, that the cuts were not deep and there were hesitation marks on her neck where she cut first.  Also she did it in the kitchen, and tried to clean up around the sink afterward where she did it.
" Closure? Closure is a misused word in the English language.  There is no such thing as closure for the family of a murder victim.  There will never be any closure for the death of our loved ones until we are dead ourselves.  The families have a lifetime sentence of anguish and sadness." 
Susan Levy