Shep Wilson Jr, Alabama DR Dies in Prison

Started by Jeff1857, June 17, 2008, 08:30:52 PM

previous topic - next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Go Down


ALABAMA----death row inmate dies

Death row inmate found dead in Donaldson prison cell

A death row inmate has died in the prison infirmary at Donaldson Correctional Facility in Bessemer.

According to Brian Corbett, a corrections department spokesman, 50-year-old Shep Wilson Jr., of Talladega County died of natural causes on Thursday.

Corbett said Wilson was awaiting a new capital murder trial. He had been sentenced to die for the November 1986 kidnapping, rape and murder of a store clerk in Sylacauga. 19-year-old Monica Cook of Sycamore was found dead several days after she abducted from a convenience store.

The Jefferson County Coroner's Office said Wilson had a long term illness.

RIP Monica. This scumbag is off the face of the earth.

Highlighter... Check   Line through his name......Check
Bye Bye.  ;)


BIRMINGHAM -- An inmate who spent nearly 18 years on death row awaiting a second trial after a court overturned his murder con­viction has died of natural causes, officials said Tuesday

Shep Wilson Jr., 50, was diag­nosed with several illnesses before his death Thursday at Donaldson prison near Birmingham, prison system spokesman Brian Corbett said.

Wilson, of Talladega, was con­victed in the kidnapping, rape and murder of a teenage convenience store clerk in 1986, but he won a new trial on appeal in 1990. His case was sent back to Talladega County, but the case was repeated­ly postponed.

Prison records show the man remained on death row while awaiting retrial, but do not give the reason. Neither prosecutors nor his defense attorney immedi­ately returned telephone calls seeking comment.

Evidence showed Monica Cook, 19, of Sycamore was abducted from the convenience store where she worked on Jan. 27, 1986. She was raped, beaten and choked to death, and her body was dumped on the side of a road.

Wilson was arrested on an un­related weapons charge about a month later, and authorities said he eventually confessed to the kill­ing.

Wilson told police he acciden­tally killed Cook after they had sexual relations. He kept the body in his home for a few days, sleep­ing with it in his bed at least once, before he disposed of it, according to court records.

The Supreme Court overturned the conviction almost 18 years ago, ruling that a prosecutor wrongly commented on Wilson's failure to testify during the trial.

The attorney general's office is in charge of death penalty appeals for the state. But the head of the capital litigation division, Clay Crenshaw, said he was unsure why the new trial was delayed.

"It's been out of our hands since 1990," he said.

Wilson, who previously was convicted of rape in a separate case, lamented his long wait for another trial in a letter posted on an Internet site for death penalty opponents.

"There is not much I can do, but wait and pray for a miracle on my behalf," he wrote. Wilson said he remained on death row "due to me not having a good lawyer, who has prepared an efficient defense."

The Supreme Court rejected Wilson's claim that his original de­fense attorney was ineffective.

An obituary published in The Daily Home of Talladega, which first reported Wilson's death, said Wilson was survived by two sons and six brothers and sisters.


His death was much more comfortable than hers....  :(

I´m not sure if there´s a hell, but I believe in executed murderers.


Ala. inmate waits 18 years for retrial after conviction overturned, dies on death row
By JAY REEVES , Associated Press
Last update: June 19, 2008 - 4:09 PM

TALLADEGA, Ala. - More than a decade ago, a frustrated judge vowed there would be no more delays in the stalled retrial of death row inmate Shep Wilson Jr.

But the postponements only continued: a mental evaluation, a sick attorney, changes of judges and prosecutors, and a blizzard of legal papers. By the time he died in prison last week of natural causes, Wilson had waited nearly 18 years without ever getting a new trial in the slaying of a teenage store clerk.

Was it a case of justice denied or the justice system played? Prosecutors said their case was solid, and defense lawyers admitted in court papers that Wilson would probably have been convicted in a second trial and possibly sentenced to death.

"Sometimes in a death penalty case, they say delay is in favor of the defendant. This might be one of those cases," Richard Dieter, executive director of the Washington-based Death Penalty Information Center, said Thursday.

Dieter said most retrials take only one or two years to get to court. "Eighteen years? I've never heard of anyone waiting that long," he said.

The case file -- five volumes of yellowing paper -- tells the story of at least a dozen trial dates that came and went because of delays caused by hundreds of legal requests, scheduling conflicts and a prisoner who believed he would be found innocent someday, somehow.

The defense team never pushed for a speedy trial, and a succession of three different district attorneys and two judges never got Wilson back in front of a jury before he died at age 50.

Wilson's two sons and six siblings buried him Tuesday. The family was thankful that the state of Alabama didn't get a chance to execute him but angry that he never got another day in court.

"They didn't do him right. They did what they wanted to do: Let him sit there," said sister Suzanne Dates.

A relative of the slain clerk said Wilson got what he deserved -- life in a 6 foot-by-8 foot cell.


Go Up