Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on Twitter

Author Topic: Darlie Routier - Murdering Mom on Death Row  (Read 13133 times)

Offline ScoopD (aka: Pam)

• Administrator
  • Fanatic
  • My BS'ometer is fully charged so bring it on!
Darlie Routier - Murdering Mom on Death Row
« on: June 15, 2008, 02:35:07 PM »
Darlie Routier (b. January 4, 1970) is a woman from Rowlett, Texas who was convicted of murdering her two young sons, Devon and Damon, and is currently on death row awaiting execution by lethal injection. The children were stabbed to death in the family's home on June 6, 1996. Routier also sustained knife wounds, which prosecutors claimed were self-inflicted.

Motives
Prosecutors claimed that Routier murdered her sons because she was unhappy with her family's financial difficulties. She was a full-time homemaker while her husband, Darin, a small business owner, earned a relatively high annual income. Most of the money he earned was quickly spent. This was later termed as "living large" by Darin Routier in an interview with Joe Munoz of KXAS Channel 5 on June 14, 1996. The family lived in a lavish Georgian home in an affluent neighborhood, drove a Jaguar, and owned a $20,000 boat. Prosecutors argued that Routier, with substantial debt, plummeting credit ratings, and little money left in the bank, feared that her affluent lifestyle was about to end and killed two of her children to rid herself of a financial burden. While this claim has been disputed by her supporters and family, by the time of the murders the money had practically run out, the Jaguar and the boat weren't running, and their income had fallen by $90,000 from the year before. In addition, they allegedly owed up to $10,000 in back taxes and $12,000 in credit card debt, were two months behind on their mortgage payments, and had just been denied a $5,000 loan from their bank.

The Murder
Routier claimed that an intruder killed her children, but police became suspicious when inconsistencies in stated and stipulated facts came to light. For example, Routier's children were killed with deep, penetrating knife wounds to their torsos, while the slashes to Routier's neck and arm were more superficial. Routier claimed that at one point she ran barefoot through her kitchen to call for help. The floor of the kitchen was covered with broken glass, but Routier had no injuries to her feet. In addition, traces of the screen that the intruder supposedly cut were found on one of the knives in Routier's kitchen that had been placed back in the butcher block. The sink in the kitchen had been cleaned up, but blood was found down the front of the cabinets directly under the sink, so police suspected that she inflicted her wounds over the sink, then washed the blood down. Areas of blood around the sink had been wiped away, as revealed by a luminol test. Her claim for defensive wounds was the bruising on her arms. However, at trial after looking at photos taken four days after the murder, a prosecution expert, her own emergency room doctor, the nurses on staff in the intensive care unit, and the medical examiner stated that the bruising looked to be only a day or two old at most. According to the prosecutors, this indicated that the bruises were self-inflicted days after the murder.

There were other suspicious details:

Officers at the scene, paramedics, nurses, doctors and neighbors were all struck by the fact that Routier never asked how the boys were or inquired whether they were alive
First responder Officer David Waddell asked Routier repeatedly to apply pressure to her son Damon's back and to tend to him, and was ignored each time. However, she continued to apply pressure to her own neck wounds, for unknown reasons. It is possible she feared she would develop serious complications from blood loss.
Routier made such a point of telling the 9-1-1 operator that she had picked up the murder weapon (thus removing any prints) that many were immediately suspicious. This was after the 911 operator told her not to touch anything.
The surgeon who attended her referred to her wounds as "superficial". They were described by prosecutors as "hesitation wounds".
Spots of blood found on her clothing demonstrated she had, at the very least, been very close to her sons while they were stabbed. The blood from both sons was deposited in a projected bloodstain pattern on the back and shoulder of her nightdress, indicating blood cast off from the weapon. But it is possible that she went very near her sons in an attempt to fight off an intruder attacking them.
Routier told her ex-maid that she wasn't worried about the cost of the funeral as she could claim $10,000 in funeral insurance.
Routier attempted suicide two months before killing her sons. In the 911 call, she stated she was 'fighting' the intruder; however, at trial this was heavily disputed by the defense team, who said she stated she was 'frightening.' Prosecutors stated this was said to explain the lack of blood on the sofa and surrounding areas where she was supposedly stabbed.
Routier described the alleged attacker as a man of medium height, dressed entirely in black with a t-shirt and baseball cap. However, she later claimed to suffer from traumatic amnesia due to the event, and her account was of little use.

The public was also horrified by newscasts of Routier and other family members holding a "birthday party" at the children's graves. The graves had been under hidden police surveillance to obtain evidence against Routier, in the event that she were to break down or otherwise make a confession near the graveside. Darlie arrived with a local television crew she had invited, essentially rendering moot any need for police surveillance. At the birthday party, Routier was shown laughing and spraying silly string on her sons' graves. Darlie yelled out to her dead children that she loved them, all the while grinning and chewing bubble gum. Four days later, she was charged with their murder. When the case was tried in court, the jury was shown the so-called "silly string tape." Shortly after, it was revealed that the immediate family had held a moving memorial at the graves before the silly string celebration. However, some people have argued that while the birthday celebration Routier held at the graveside was widely considered to be bizarre, it cannot be considered valid evidence that Routier killed her sons.

Routier was ultimately convicted of murdering one of her two sons, and sentenced to death. Prosecutors did not try Routier for the death of the second son, holding his murder in reserve in case of Routier's acquittal on the first murder trial.

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

My reason for supporting capital punishment: My cousin 16 yr. old Amanda Greenwell was murdered in March of 2004 at the hands of serial killer Jeremy Bryan Jones.

• Administrator
  • Fanatic
Re: Darlie Routier - Murdering Mom on Death Row
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 09:00:14 PM »
This is a case that disturbs me. Well, you all know any case where a child has died affects me but for a child to be killed by their own Mothers hand is just incomprehensible to me.

What kind of monster kills her own kids and then sits in jail and writes poetry about them? 
She is PURE EVIL.
Jeff, this is one of those that I told you about, look at her eyes, DEAD BLACK!

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

My reason for supporting capital punishment: My cousin 16 yr. old Amanda Greenwell was murdered in March of 2004 at the hands of serial killer Jeremy Bryan Jones.

Mo-DAWG

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 09:04:00 PM »
i ve seen a lot on tv about this case and read a lot about it too way back then and this one always left me as a controversial case .. i believe that either she didnt do it at all or she didnt do it alone ..

• Administrator
  • Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 09:12:27 PM »
Well, it seems that a jury voted to find her guilty after hearing the evidence and then she was sentenced to death, so no matter what I think I trust them. This woman is evil to the core. She was supposed to be the MAIN PROTECTOR of these precious babies. She is another animal that needs to be put down. And I call her an animal because only an animal would kill their own young.

Mo-DAWG

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 09:31:49 PM »
Well, it seems that a jury voted to find her guilty after hearing the evidence and then she was sentenced to death, so no matter what I think I trust them. This woman is evil to the core. She was supposed to be the MAIN PROTECTOR of these precious babies. She is another animal that needs to be put down. And I call her an animal because only an animal would kill their own young.

wrong about one thing pam .. animals usually protect their youngs and dont harm or kill them .. so you do the animal kindom no justice to compare the routier case with the normal behavior of animals (lets reduce it to mammals) towards their youngs...

well and the jury voted she guilty .. still the question is: did she do it alone ??

Offline Jeff1857

• Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 09:35:34 PM »
Let's say your assumption is correct. Law of parties convicts her of killing her OWN kids......and your problem with this is what exactly?

Mo-DAWG

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 10:00:19 PM »
Let's say your assumption is correct. Law of parties convicts her of killing her OWN kids......and your problem with this is what exactly?

if she didnt do it alone then they better find the other person .. who goes as low as killing children wont hesitiate to do it again .. next time it could be children again .. or an adult ..  so IF there was another person then they need to find him or her and lock him up ..

Offline Michael

• Fanatic
  • Strange things happen.
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 04:39:48 AM »
She has a big fan crowd here in Europe and espescialy Germany . I think she has some german roots(a german mother or so). I saw a documentation about the case about a year ago.

Michael
I´m not sure if there´s a hell, but I believe in executed murderers.

Offline Jeff1857

• Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 09:15:48 AM »
Darlie Routier talks of new hope from death row

A Rowlett mother placed on death row for the murder of her 2 sons has expressed hope that new DNA tests will clear her name.

The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals ruled Wednesday that Darlie Routier, who has always claimed a home intruder was the true killer, will be allowed to re-conduct DNA testing on items from the scene of the crime.

Routier's night shirt and a tube sock found in the alley are among the items that have been cleared for testing.

In an original test on the blood-stained tube sock, blood was determined to be from the boys. A third stain on the sock yielded no results.

Routier said she hopes the DNA tests will find another source of blood, other than her's or her two sons'.

But Routier will not be allowed to test a bloody palm print that was found on the coffee table, or the blood stains on the butcher knife investigators have said was the murder weapon.

Routier was convicted more than 10 years ago.

Talking from jail, Routier said that new technology will prove that she is not a killer.

"Well, do you have that much time?" said Routier when asked how so many people, and the justice system, could have been wrong in her case.

When Rowlett police arrested Routier in 1996, they were certain they had it right. The prosecution said Routier stabbed her children, Devon and Damon, and then stabbed herself to cover it up. The jury agreed.

"I was there," she said. "I know that I didn't murder my children. I know I did not attack myself."

Wednesday, a judge ruled Routier's legal team can take a fresh look at hair and blood evidence. All that will be tested is evidence that, at the time, could not be linked to anyone in the house.

"Everything that I've said is a truth," Routier said. "And it's right there. It's just a matter of a person taking the time to really look at it."

The judge denied a request to a bloody fingerprint that could not be linked to anyone during original testing. Routier said there are 2 such fingerprints.

"To me, when you have 2 bloody finger prints that are found at a crime scene that don't belong to anybody that worked on the crime scene and don't belong to anybody that lived in the home, it pretty much tells you that somebody else was in the home that committed that crime," Routier said. "And for me, why am I still here?"

The judge's ruling said the case against Routier is still strong. But if new testing supports Routier's claim, it might be enough to sway a jury.

(source: WFAA News)

Offline Black Star

• Resident
  • I try not to judge
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 01:16:11 PM »
She has a big fan crowd here in Europe and espescialy Germany . I think she has some german roots(a german mother or so). I saw a documentation about the case about a year ago.

Michael

And rightly so.

I have spent nights and nights (when I had the time) reading on the subject.

This stinks. I'm not sure whether she's guilty or not, but I wouldn't call her murdering Mum yet.
Even her hearings contain errors, she should get a retrial.

If she turns out to be guilty, beyound any doubt, and NOT on circumstantial evidence, then I will accept her execution.

My opinion on this case is:

If she is guilty, then her husband is as well. Maybe he did it, maybe he is a major accomplice. But he does know more than he's letting on. Think about it: if Darlie admits to this, she might as well sign her death warrant herself. Bottom line is: there is either one person too many, or one too little on death row.

I support Darlie in her fight for justice, caus all in all, I believe they are innocent.
"I think you're spending too much time with your Pro-buddies" Michael Perry, Texas DR.

Offline Michael

• Fanatic
  • Strange things happen.
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 02:23:21 PM »
I´m not so into the case to say if she is guilty or not. I trust in the work of the courts.

On the other hand I saw some news about this crime which raises some questions, but overall....  ??? Not sure if it´s propaganda.

Michael
I´m not sure if there´s a hell, but I believe in executed murderers.

Offline Granny B

• Administrator
  • Fanatic
  • I'd like to help U out. Which way did U come in?
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 10:01:46 PM »
I've always believed she did it, and she did it alone.  This was NOT just circumstantial evidence.  She was a heartless bitch, shooting silly string and yelling HAPPY BIRTHDAY to her 2 dead children.  How the hell could they have a Happy Birthday if they are dead I ask you?  ???  ::)

And the standard in the US is beyond a REASONABLE DOUBT, not beyond any doubt.

From Tru tv Crime Library on Darlie Routier:

" In the kitchenette, something very telling had occurred. Sgt. Nabors thought it was strange that the sink was spotless and white while the floors and edges of the countertop around and above it were blood-smudged. And if someone had taken the effort to clean the sink of blood — why? His job being to process blood traces at a crime scene, Nabors went to work.

"(He) conducted a test to detect the presence of human blood that cannot be seen with the naked eye," explains the book, Precious Angels. "The chemical compound Luminol is the tool that investigators use for this test. If the white crystalline compound in the Luminol detects the copper component found in human blood, the area sprayed becomes luminescent, casting a brilliant bluish light. The sergeant sprayed the sink and the surrounding counter. When the lights were switched off, the entire sink basin and the surrounding counter glowed in the dark."

Repeating this process on the leatherette sofa, the detective found a small child's handprint glowing iridescent blue near the edge where Damon had been stabbed. Like the blood in the kitchen, someone had wiped it away. Again — why?"

Crime Scene Tells Story

Returning inside, he followed the bloody footprints. They indeed led from the room where the children were slain through to a utility room then onto the concrete floor of the garage, trailing off below its window. But, again, the screen seemed an unlikely escape port. Doubling that suspicion, the dust on the sill was undisturbed, there were no hand prints, bloody or otherwise, around the window; odd, since the killer in forcing his way through the window would have had to hang onto the walls for balance!

The investigator double-tracked to the yard, this time looking for drops of blood left behind by the slayer in flight. Surely, his savagery had produced vast amounts of blood and his clothing would have been dripping with it — yet there were no apparent traces beyond the interior of the house. Not on the mulch below the window, not on the yard's manicured lawn, not along nor atop the six-foot high fence that surrounded the yard, not in the alley. The blood was contained within the house. Nowhere else.

In the entertainment room where Darlie described a struggle, Cron found little evidence of a melee having taken place. The lampshade was askew, and an expensive flower arrangement lay beside the coffee table. Nothing more out of place. He found, in fact, the fragile stems of the flowers unbroken — as if the arrangement hadn't fallen, but been placed there.

In the kitchenette, only Darlie's bloodied footprints were visible. Pieces of a shattered wineglass, too, lay among the prints, and a vacuum cleaner had been deposited on its side. Blood underneath these items indicated, to him, that they were dropped after — not before, nor during— the violence.

Atop the kitchen counter sat Darlie's purse, which appeared in order and undisturbed, and several pieces of jewelry — rings, a bracelet and a watch — aligned in order, untouched.

Reports author Barbara Davis in Precious Angels: "Everything the professional saw at the crime scene disturbed him. The lack of a blood trail away from the home coupled with virtually no signs of a struggle bothered him most."

Late afternoon, after his thorough and all-day examination, he summarized his findings for Lt. Jack and Sgt. Walling. "We all know the crime scene tells the story. Problem is," he nodded, "that story's not the same one the mother's telling. Somebody inside this house did this thing. Gentlemen, there was no intruder."

Almost immediately, the hospital's personnel sensed something amiss with the mother, for while she outwardly seemed agitated by her tragedy, repeating over and over "Who could have done this to my boys?" her reaction  struck them as insincere and artificial.

Trauma nurse Jody Fitts, an RN for eight years, recalls, "Darlie was wheeled by Trauma Room 1, where her dead child was. She glanced over there, and I was very concerned she would get more upset. His physical condition alone was disconcerting. He was nude and covered head to toe in blood. Tubes were still held in place with tape, and brown bags had been placed around his little-bitty hands to preserve any possible evidence. It was a very stressful and horrible sight...I'll never forget it. (Darlie) saw him. She had absolutely no response, just turned her head back and stared straight ahead — cold as ice."

And this:

Of Shadows and Silly String

Darlie Routier had not yet returned to her home on Eagle Drive since that horrible morning; she, Darin and baby Drake had been staying with Mama Darlie in Plano. Needing some articles of clothing, she telephoned her friend Mercedes Adams a few days after the funeral to ask if she would mind driving her there. Mercedes complied, but expected Darlie to buckle under upon walking into the place that took the lives of her two sons. The girlfriend was in for an awakening.

Death lingered in the foyer, but Darlie, Mercedes noted, charged onto the scene seemingly unaware and like a bull elephant, arms akimbo, shouted, "Look at this mess! It'll cost us a fortune to fix this shit!"

"Right there where her boys were killed, and that's the first thing she said to me. I put my hands on Darlie's shoulders and said, 'Darlie, look me in the eye and tell me you didn't kill the boys.' She looked me in the eye and said, 'I'm gonna get new carpet, new drapes, and fix this room all up.' I couldn't believe it."

Brantley reported other observations. "For a violent struggle to take place as the mother claimed, no real breakage occurred. After looking at the crime-scene photographs, it appeared to me that the intruder who committed this crime had a strong connection to the material items in the home. The living room was fairly small and compressed. Two adults fighting would have resulted in a lot more broken things. A lot of fragile items in the living room that should have taken the brunt of a struggle were not broken."

His conclusion: Damon's and Devon's slayer was someone who knew them and knew the premises. The entire scenario had been planned in advance — and staged.

She did it! She was convicted of it! And the cold hearted bitch is in prison for it! Enough said!
" Closure? Closure is a misused word in the English language.  There is no such thing as closure for the family of a murder victim.  There will never be any closure for the death of our loved ones until we are dead ourselves.  The families have a lifetime sentence of anguish and sadness." 
Susan Levy

gabmat

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 10:05:45 PM »
I think she did it too. And I think the DNA thing is just another stalling tactic. She might be hoping that (one chance in a billion) the DNA gets her off. Either way, if my life were on the line and I wanted to live, I'd take ANY CHANCE I could get, including DNA tests and lie detector tests. I might just get out...

Offline Henrik - Sweden

• Fanatic
  • Go pro? No!
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 04:31:14 AM »
Do you know if there's any psychological testing performed on her? If she is guilty - which the evidence seems to support - I would expect her to score very high on tests for psychopathy. For a mother to perform such a heinous act on her own children I see only two explanations:

1) She is seriously mentally ill with some kind of psychosis/schizophrenia that has led her to totally lose her grasp on reality

2) She is a psychopath of the worst kind with no really feeling towards any other human being. In the mind of such a person another human beings are just things that could be tossed away if you don't need the anymore or if they prevent in some way of doing another things you want to do. A typical example of this kind of murder is Lowell Lee Andrews who murdered his own parents and sister and is described by Truman Capote in "In cold blood" because he was on Kansas DR at the same time as Dick Hickock and Perry Smith.

Now #1 isn't supported in this case by anything I've read so far, so therefore it must be #2. If she didn't fit this description it would left me very puzzled.

iamjumbo

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2008, 10:23:13 AM »

Michael

And rightly so.

I have spent nights and nights (when I had the time) reading on the subject.

This stinks. I'm not sure whether she's guilty or not, but I wouldn't call her murdering Mum yet.
Even her hearings contain errors, she should get a retrial.

If she turns out to be guilty, beyound any doubt, and NOT on circumstantial evidence, then I will accept her execution.

My opinion on this case is:

If she is guilty, then her husband is as well. Maybe he did it, maybe he is a major accomplice. But he does know more than he's letting on. Think about it: if Darlie admits to this, she might as well sign her death warrant herself. Bottom line is: there is either one person too many, or one too little on death row.

I support Darlie in her fight for justice, caus all in all, I believe they are innocent.

you have a rough row to hoe.  there is no doubt whatsoever that darlie murdered the kids.  however, she is too stupid to have planted things to hide her involvement.  after darin discovered that she had murdered the kids, he cut the screen and planted the sock in the alley, as well as washing the sink and so on.
yeah, he's an accessory AFTER the fact, but darlie absolutely deserves the guerney ride