Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on Twitter

Author Topic: Lisa Coleman TX DR #999511 Denied Habeas Appeal by TCCA in 2004 Murder  (Read 12312 times)

Offline ScoopD (aka: Pam)

• Administrator
  • Fanatic
  • My BS'ometer is fully charged so bring it on!
Lisa Ann Coleman's tragic life was not enough to keep her off death row for the starvation death of her girlfriend's son, 9-year-old Davontae Williams.

A Tarrant County jury Wednesday rejected defense attorneys' emotional pleas to spare the life of a woman they said was a product of incest, neglected by her mother, bounced through foster homes and repeatedly raped by an uncle.

That was no excuse, prosecutor Mitch Poe said, for "the worst case of child abuse I've ever seen."

The jury took a little over three hours to decide that Ms. Coleman, 30, should be sentenced to death by injection. They also handed down a 99-year sentence on a separate charge of injury to a child.

She becomes the second woman in Tarrant County to be sentenced to death in the last year. She will join nine other women on Texas' death row.

Davontae, 9, of Arlington, was found starved two years ago at the apartment he shared with Ms. Coleman and his mother, Marcella Williams. Ms. Williams, 25, is awaiting trial on a capital murder charge.

Prosecutors said Davontae had a busted lip and 250 scars or wounds, and had been forced to live in an empty pantry while no one else in the house went hungry.

Davontae weighed 35 pounds when paramedics were called to the family's apartment on July 26, 2004.

Ms. Coleman's attorneys asked for mercy, saying she had endured an impoverished, abusive life similar to Davontae's.

"You have to look at whether there is a place for mercy for Lisa," said one of her attorneys, Michael Heiskell.

He held up Ms. Coleman's jail mug shot, telling the jury that it was the only photo he could find of her.

Mr. Poe, in his closing arguments, held up a school photo of Davontae and reminded the jury of the boy's starvation and abuse at the hands of Ms. Coleman and his mother.

"The death penalty is a statement we have to make occasionally," Mr. Poe said. "She was abused, but at some point, you have to take some responsibility."

Ms. Coleman was nicknamed "Pig" when she was a baby, and other children at school would make snorting noises to tease her, Mr. Heiskell said. He added that his client had been sexually abused and had gone for periods without food while she was young.

Tracey Binder of Fort Worth, Davontae's great-aunt, said she agreed with the jury's verdict.

"One down, one to go," she said. "There is no excuse for what happened to this kid. Justice was done. I've forgiven both of them. The hardest thing I've ever had to do was forgive them.

"Lisa needs to fess up. How can you torture someone and act like nothing happened? If you are really sorry, you need to confess."

Ms. Coleman, who did not testify at the trial or the punishment phase, showed no emotion when the verdict was read.

Witnesses called by defense attorneys told jurors Ms. Coleman was neglected and abused during her childhood. They also said Ms. Coleman is bipolar.

Paula Lundberg-Love, a licensed professional counselor, said Ms. Coleman began using marijuana at 13 and later used cocaine and ecstasy. Evidence also showed that Child Protective Services made six calls at the home where Davontae lived.

In 1999, the agency removed Davontae and his sister, who was then a toddler, after finding that the boy had been beaten with an extension cord.

Ms. Williams was later reunited with her children and began dodging caseworkers. The agency's final interview with Davontae was in October 2002 when the boy was enrolled at Webb Elementary School in Arlington.

The following month, Ms. Williams withdrew Davontae from Webb and told officials she was transferring him to a school in Fort Worth. Officials said they had no record of the boy's enrollment.

Ms. Coleman will join Chelsea Richardson from Tarrant County on death row. Ms. Richardson received a death sentence in August 2005 for the 2003 murders of her boyfriend's parents, Rick and Susanna Wamsley of Mansfield.

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

My reason for supporting capital punishment: My cousin 16 yr. old Amanda Greenwell was murdered in March of 2004 at the hands of serial killer Jeremy Bryan Jones.

Offline Mildred

• Fanatic
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - cinnyk1977
Re: Lisa Coleman - starvation of 9 year old child.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 12:34:29 AM »
Oh boo hoo.  She was abused...how many people out there are every day yet they dont do crap like this.  FRY HER!

Offline kubsch1

• Resident
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Jinx
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 08:42:58 PM »
 >:( Another child killer; am sure they won't abuse her at the ggurney.  One good IV.

Offline beez0811

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 02:07:15 PM »
Unfortunately Marcella did not get sentenced to death, which is messed up.

Offline kubsch1

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 07:24:32 PM »
Her own childhood abuses should have given her the desire to see no other child was abused.  She was too busy being a man hating bitch!  Not even a male child is safe around her lesbian ass! >:(  >:(  >:(  :D :D :D :D :D

kiwi

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 05:37:46 PM »
How horrific.

Besides living in the house, what was Coleman's relationship to the poor boy's mother? I guess I'm not understanding why Coleman is getting the DP and the mother isn't? Unless I'm confused, which is definitely possible.

Any word on the child's sister? She was mentioned as having been removed from the residence previously... I certainly hope she's with people who care for her.

Offline vikkiw47

• Fanatic
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - vikkiw47
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 05:39:23 AM »
That poor baby . That just breaks my heart. The mother should have gotten death as well.
Justice is not about bringing back the dead. It is not about revenge either. Justice is about enforcing consequences for one's own actions to endorse personal responsibility. We cannot expect anyone to take responsibility for their own actions if these consequences are not enforced in full.

Offline 63Wildcat

• Fanatic
  • Don't Tread On Me
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 08:19:13 AM »
dam...both them freaks should be smoked.. poor kids.. it's stuff like this that absolutely infuriates me..
"..the death of any public servant or innocent is a tragedy... the death of a murderer is a mere statistic..."  -63Wildcat

AS OF TOMORROW I'M TURNING GRAVITY OFF...

Anne

TCCA Upholds Conviction for Lisa Coleman TX DR #999511 in 2004 Murderl
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 11:28:44 AM »
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/APStories/stories/D9CFUGFG3.html

Woman on Texas death row loses appeal

12/09/2009

Associated Press

The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals has upheld the conviction of an Arlington woman sent to death row for the starvation death of a 9-year-old boy who weighed 35 pounds.

Jurors at Lisa Ann Coleman's 2006 trial in Tarrant County heard testimony that Coleman beat, bound, neglected and starved Davontae Williams.

Coleman shared an apartment with the boy's mother, Marcella Williams. Williams subsequently pleaded guilty to avoid a death sentence and is serving a life prison term.

An autopsy determined the child had more than 250 scars on his body when emergency medical crews in July 2004 responded to a 911 call about a child having breathing difficulties.

The 34-year-old Coleman, one of 10 women on Texas death row, raised 21 claims of error from her trial. The court Wednesday rejected all of them.

Anne

Anne

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 11:29:58 AM »
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/APStories/stories/D9CFUGFG3.html

Woman on Texas death row loses appeal

12/09/2009

Associated Press

The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals has upheld the conviction of an Arlington woman sent to death row for the starvation death of a 9-year-old boy who weighed 35 pounds.

Jurors at Lisa Ann Coleman's 2006 trial in Tarrant County heard testimony that Coleman beat, bound, neglected and starved Davontae Williams.

Coleman shared an apartment with the boy's mother, Marcella Williams. Williams subsequently pleaded guilty to avoid a death sentence and is serving a life prison term.

An autopsy determined the child had more than 250 scars on his body when emergency medical crews in July 2004 responded to a 911 call about a child having breathing difficulties.

The 34-year-old Coleman, one of 10 women on Texas death row, raised 21 claims of error from her trial. The court Wednesday rejected all of them.

Anne

Offline kubsch1

• Resident
Re: Woman on Texas death row loses appeal
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 09:13:54 PM »
So give the bitch a date!  And don't forget Henderson or any of the other "ladies" before they develop mental retardation! >:( >:( >:( :'( :'( :P :P >:( ???

Offline Jeff1857

• Fanatic
Lisa Coleman TX DR #999511 Denied Habeas Appeal by TCCA in 2004 Murder
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 11:23:14 AM »
Coleman was Remanded to Trial Court by the TCCA for a finding of fact regarding a witness.

Facts of the Crime:

On July 26, 2004 in Tarrant County, authorities were called to Coleman's residence where they found a nine year old black male deceased. An autopsy of victim concluded that the child was severely malnourished and underweight. Coleman and co-defendant were found to have restrained the child over a period of time depriving him of food.

Opinion is here:

This is a post conviction application for writ of habeas corpus filed pursuant to the provisions of Texas Code of Criminal Procedure article 11.071.

On June 21, 2006, a jury convicted applicant of the offense of capital murder. The jury answered the special issues submitted pursuant to Texas Code of Criminal Procedure article 37.071, and the trial court, accordingly, set punishment at death. This Court affirmed applicant's conviction and sentence on direct appeal. Coleman v. State, No. AP-75,478 (Tex. Crim. App. Dec. 9, 2009) (not designated for publication).

Applicant has alleged facts that, if true, might entitle her to relief. Strickland v. Washington, 466 U.S. 608 (1984); Ex parte Lemke, 13 S.W.3d 791,795-96 (Tex. Crim. App. 2000). In these circumstances, additional facts are needed. As we held in Ex parte Rodriguez, 334 S.W.2d 294, 294 (Tex. Crim. App. 1960), the trial court is the appropriate forum for findings of fact. The trial court shall determine whether applicant's trial counsel interviewed Marcela Williams. If trial counsel did not, the trial court shall determine why trial counsel did not do so. If counsel did interview Marcela Williams, the trial court shall determine why Marcela Williams was not called to testify. The trial court may use any means set out in Tex. Code Crim. Proc. art. 11.071 8 or 9.

The trial court shall make findings of fact as to whether applicant's trial counsel interviewed Marcela Williams. If trial counsel did not do so, the trial court shall make findings of fact regarding the reasons trial counsel did not do so. If trial counsel did interview Marcela Williams, the trial court shall make findings of fact addressing why Marcela Williams was not called to testify. The trial court shall also make any other findings of fact and conclusions of law that it deems relevant and appropriate to the disposition of applicant's claim for habeas corpus relief.

This application will be held in abeyance until the trial court has resolved the fact issues. The issues shall be resolved within 90 days of this order. If any continuances are granted, a copy of the order granting the continuance shall be sent to this Court. A supplemental transcript containing all affidavits and interrogatories or the transcription of the court reporter's notes from any hearing or deposition, along with the trial court's supplemental findings of fact and conclusions of law, shall be returned to this Court within 120 days of the date of this order. Any extensions of time shall be obtained from this Court.

IT IS SO ORDERED THIS THE 31ST DAY OF MARCH, 2010.

http://www.cca.courts.state.tx.us/OPINIONS/HTMLOPINIONINFO.ASP?OPINIONID=19503

Offline KAT

• Resident
Re: Lisa Coleman TX DR #999511 Remanded to Trial Court by TCCA
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 12:02:55 PM »
I think maybe she should be locked up with no food for awhile and see how she likes that.  It makes me sick to know people can do that.

caringmom

Lisa Coleman
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
  I heard the story about your son who was 9 years old. I have one thing to say HOW YOU CAN LOOK AT YOURSELF IN THE MIRROR AND CALL YOURSELF A MOM. YOU SHOULD CUT YOUR FUCKING TUBE BITCH!!! I think that they said Kill you and burn you. I am a mother and I never thought of doing the things you did to that little boy and he have special needs. If you was laying on the ground and you need CPR I would walk over you and I really mean that !!!!  :D :D :D :D To you bitch.