Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on Twitter

Author Topic: Troy Kell, Utah DR, Denied Appeal by Utah Supremes in Murder of Another Inmate  (Read 10028 times)

Offline Granny B

• Administrator
  • Fanatic
  • I'd like to help U out. Which way did U come in?
The face of evil. >:(
" Closure? Closure is a misused word in the English language.  There is no such thing as closure for the family of a murder victim.  There will never be any closure for the death of our loved ones until we are dead ourselves.  The families have a lifetime sentence of anguish and sadness." 
Susan Levy

Offline Jeff1857

• Fanatic
I don't know if any of ya'll have seen it but this murder was part of an HBO special and the entire murder was caught on tape . The name of the special was "Anatomy of a Prison Murder". It may very well be online somewhere and it guest stars this thug.

Offline 63Wildcat

• Fanatic
  • Don't Tread On Me
So this guy wants the firing squad.. I think its a publicity thing. That should get the media whipped into a feeding frenzy when the time comes.
"..the death of any public servant or innocent is a tragedy... the death of a murderer is a mere statistic..."  -63Wildcat

AS OF TOMORROW I'M TURNING GRAVITY OFF...

Offline vikkiw47

• Fanatic
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - vikkiw47
yep that should bring them out in droves for sure. Any other time they could  not really give shit. no i have not seen that special. if you just judge him by his picture he looks so nice---- but looks could get you killed in this case
Justice is not about bringing back the dead. It is not about revenge either. Justice is about enforcing consequences for one's own actions to endorse personal responsibility. We cannot expect anyone to take responsibility for their own actions if these consequences are not enforced in full.

Offline tpgisgay

• Resident
  • DR Blog Whore
I found the movie online.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5749037562192962462

55 minutes, then form your own opinion. ;) I have not seen someone so dangerous, with such a gift of ability to bullshit people since Bundy.

Offline vikkiw47

• Fanatic
oh he is very charming that is for sure and looks like the guy next door  but he sure in hell is not. he is  very dangerous without a doubt . and he is right where he should be on DR
Justice is not about bringing back the dead. It is not about revenge either. Justice is about enforcing consequences for one's own actions to endorse personal responsibility. We cannot expect anyone to take responsibility for their own actions if these consequences are not enforced in full.

Offline JeffB

• Fanatic
  • Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?
I disagree - he shouldn't be on death row, or in general population; he should be in our executed/graveyard...  He's too dangerous to continue to be incarcerated...
"SO SUCK IT YOU "BLUE COOLER" DOPE!"  -  Sylar24

Offline vikkiw47

• Fanatic
I think you might just have a point Jeff, very cunning and charming.Also very intelligent and he does kinda remind you of Bundy alittle, he is in the same ball park as Bundy for sure, but wasn't Bundy's attack more sexual than anything? Troys are just plain evil. he is a very scary man. The firing squad is just more manipulation on his part.   

Offline 63Wildcat

• Fanatic
  • Don't Tread On Me
All of Bundy's attacks were sexual in nature. This guy Kell like you said Vikki, is just pure evil. It will be a good day when this one is put in the ground.
"..the death of any public servant or innocent is a tragedy... the death of a murderer is a mere statistic..."  -63Wildcat

Offline Rick4404

• Fanatic
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rick4404@aol.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Rick4404@aol.com
Here's a mug shot of Troy Kell and a story from back in November from the Deseret News in Salt Lake City about Troy Kell.

Kell has already chosen to be executed by firing squad in that he's one of the three death row inmates in Utah who were sentenced to die prior to the Utah Legislature changing the state's death penalty law in 2004, which virtually eliminated the use of the firing squad as a mode of death in Utah. Anyone sentenced to die after the change in the law went into effect will die solely by lethal injection.

There should be a date soon in that the latest death warrant was petitioned for by the state attorney general back in November.  As I understand it, the court must order the execution to take place no less than 30 days nor more than 60 days after the issuance of the order.

Death warrant sought for Kell

By Ben Winslow
Deseret News

Published: Tuesday, Nov. 18, 2008 12:04 a.m. MST
10 comments E-MAIL | PRINT | FONT + - 
Prosecutors in central Utah have filed court papers seeking to have a death row inmate's stay of execution lifted.

In a motion filed last week in 6th District Court in Manti, Sanpete County Attorney Ross Blackham seeks a death warrant for Troy Michael Kell.

"Kell has no pending action challenging either his conviction or sentence. Therefore, no legal reason exists to delay issuing an execution warrant," Blackham and assistant Utah Attorney General Thomas Brunker wrote.

The Utah Supreme Court unanimously rejected Kell's latest appeal in September. In 1994, he stabbed fellow inmate Lonnie Blackmon 67 times with a homemade knife. The racially motivated slaying (Kell is white, Blackmon was black) was gruesome — Blackmon was stabbed several times in the eyes. It was caught on security cameras at the Utah State Prison in Gunnison.

Kell was convicted in 1996 and sentenced to die. This latest filing is not expected to end his appeals process. He is entitled to post-conviction relief in the federal court system.

"When a death sentence remains unexecuted, the state may petition the court to bring the defendant before it," Blackham and Brunker wrote. "Once the defendant is brought before the court, it must inquire into the facts and, if there is no legal reason against executing the death sentence, the court must order the Department of Corrections director to ensure that the judgment is executed."

Utah has 10 death row inmates awaiting execution, state Corrections spokeswoman Angie Welling said.

Offline JT

• Fanatic
  • اعتقد ان الفرنسي غي له والتي
Hey, Troy -- I have a new friend for ya!  Five rounds of .30-30 Winchester.

(For those who wish to know, the firing squad protocol in Utah mandates the use of six Model 1896 lever rifles loaded with 150gr .30-30 Winchester cartridges.  Five of the rifles are loaded with live rounds, one with a blank round.  Obviously the triggermen are not told which holds the blank, as this is said to reduce the chance of any hesitation to pull the trigger when the order to fire is given.)
JT's Ridiculous Quote of the Century:
"I'm disgusted with the State for even putting me in this position."
-- Reginald Blanton, Texas death row.  As of October 27, 2009, Reggie's position has been in a coffin.

Offline Michael

• Fanatic
  • Strange things happen.
It seems that there´s a good chance, that Utah reduces its death row population of 10% this year.  ;)

Michael
I´m not sure if there´s a hell, but I believe in executed murderers.

Offline JeffB

• Fanatic
  • Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?
(For those who wish to know, the firing squad protocol in Utah mandates the use of six Model 1896 lever rifles loaded with 150gr .30-30 Winchester cartridges.  Five of the rifles are loaded with live rounds, one with a blank round.  Obviously the triggermen are not told which holds the blank, as this is said to reduce the chance of any hesitation to pull the trigger when the order to fire is given.)

So five out of six are live rounds with one being the blank?  I thought is was the other way around - 5 blanks and 1 live...  (don't know why I thought that - perhaps to increase the aspect of not knowing who had the live round)..  Wow, they really blow the guy to pieces...  And it is my understanding that the condemned is seated at the time, and there is a target placed over the heart...  At what distance are the riflemen from the target?
"SO SUCK IT YOU "BLUE COOLER" DOPE!"  -  Sylar24

Offline JT

• Fanatic
  • اعتقد ان الفرنسي غي له والتي
Nope, five live and one blank.  An experienced rifleman can easily discern whether he fired a live or a blank, as the recoil from a blank is significantly less (especially with large-grain bullets).  However, there is reportedly a subconscious psychological tendency over time to "forget" the force of the recoil, which allows the rifleman to deduce that he was the one with the blank round; it is simply a guilt-reduction mechanism.  Plus, at the time of the execution, the riflemen will typically subconsciously convince themselves that it is their rifle with the blank, and when the order is given to fire, they will not hesitate to pull the bang switch.  That means the condemned is hit by a volley of six rounds of .30-30 almost simultaneously.  Just one round of .30-30 to the heart will likely be fatal; six at once is a guarantee.

Edit:  Almost forgot.  It's from a distance of 30 feet.
JT's Ridiculous Quote of the Century:
"I'm disgusted with the State for even putting me in this position."
-- Reginald Blanton, Texas death row.  As of October 27, 2009, Reggie's position has been in a coffin.

Offline 63Wildcat

• Fanatic
  • Don't Tread On Me
But is there a coup de gras if there is no success from the firing party?