Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on Twitter

Author Topic: Zachariah Melcher Serving LWOP for IN. Double Murder Kills Cellmate  (Read 4974 times)

Offline Jeff1857

• Fanatic
A man who narrowly escaped the death penalty by pleading guilty to murder is now suspected of strangling his cell-mate.

It happened around 10:30 Friday night at the Wabash Valley Correctional Facility.

State Police say 30-year-old Zachariah Melcher, formerly of Jeffersonville, strangled 28-year-old Nicholas Roman in the cell they shared.

Melcher was serving a life sentence without parole for strangling his pregnant wife, then suffocating his 11 month old son back in 2006 in Clark County, Indiana.

Roman was serving time on Vandeburg County convictions of having sex in front of a minor, distributing materials harmful to minors and theft.

The Department of Correction says Roman was due for release in August.

Melcher and Roman were both held in the segregation unit of the prison.

Melcher is now held in a cell by himself pending the outcome of the investigation by Indiana State Police.

That investigation should be turned over to the Sullivan County Prosecutor's Office early next week.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I assume Indiana might go ahead and get the DP for him this time.

Offline Michael

• Fanatic
  • Strange things happen.
Re: Zachariah Melcher Serving LWOP for IN. Double Murder Kills Cellmate
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 01:38:11 PM »
Maybe that shouldn´t take alone into a cell. Maybe he can be put to other inmates (of the row  ;) ).  ;D

Regards

Michael
I´m not sure if there´s a hell, but I believe in executed murderers.

Offline Jeff1857

• Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 04:03:45 PM »
An arrest warrant has been served to an inmate of the Wabash Valley Correctional Facility for a murder he committed while in prison.

Zachariah Melcher will face a Sullivan judge for the murder of Nicholas Roman, who he allegedly strangled in their cell at the Wabash Valley Correctional Facility.

Melcher is already serving a life sentence for killing his wife, daughter and unborn child back in 2006.

Sullivan County Prosecutor Bob Springer tells us Melcher is asking for the death penalty.

"I think he would have killed anyone he could have," Springer said. "He didn't have contact with anyone else except for the correction officers and he had the ability and opportunity and did it as he has admitted to doing it."

Melcher's initial arraignment for this murder is scheduled for April 23.

Offline ScoopD (aka: Pam)

• Administrator
  • Fanatic
  • My BS'ometer is fully charged so bring it on!
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 04:41:46 PM »
yeah, the anti's say let's lock them up and here we go again with one who was locked up and he still found a way to murder again. A killer put to death has never killed again, hopefully Indiana will get it right this time around.

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

My reason for supporting capital punishment: My cousin 16 yr. old Amanda Greenwell was murdered in March of 2004 at the hands of serial killer Jeremy Bryan Jones.

Offline Jeff1857

• Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 07:17:32 PM »
Yep Pam. Well he's asking for the DP hopefully they will give it to him.

Offline Jeff1857

• Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 10:31:05 AM »
CARLISLE — A convicted murderer charged Tuesday with an additional murder while in prison allegedly told investigators he should get the death penalty, and said if he doesn’t, he would kill again.

Zachariah Melcher, 30, made the statement while confessing to killing his cell mate in the Wabash Valley Correctional Facility in Carlisle, according to court papers.

Melcher already is serving a life sentence without parole for the murders of three family members in Clark County. He was charged Tuesday with strangling his cellmate, Nicholas Roman, on March 7.

If Melcher is not put to death, a State Police officer investigating the prison killing wrote that he believes Melcher could target a prison staff member in his next attack.

“[Melcher] believes he should receive the death penalty for his actions and advised if he doesn’t, he would do this again,” Trooper T.C. Hanks wrote in a probable-cause affidavit.

According to Hanks, Melcher then stated ‘I don’t have any problems with staff yet,” which leads Hanks to believe Melcher could target a staff member next.

Melcher allegedly told police he killed Roman because Roman “kept stealing from him, going through his personal stuff, lying on his bed and watching his TV,” according to the affidavit.

Melcher told investigators that he choked Roman with his hands and believed he had killed him, then to make sure he was dead he strangled him with a laundry cord, the affidavit states.

After allegedly killing Roman, Melcher put Roman in his bed and covered him up with a blanket before packing some of Roman’s things, going to take a shower and talking with other inmates. He then dragged Roman’s body to the front of the officer’s desk.

He allegedly told the officer to “get him a box” and went back to his cell and threw more of Roman’s things out of the cell.

Roman, 28, had multiple major conduct offenses since his incarceration. Roman was serving time on Vanderburgh County convictions for performing sexual conduct in the presence of a minor, distribution of matter harmful to a minor and theft/receiving stolen property. He would have been eligible for release this August.

Melcher’s arraignment will be at 8:30 a.m. April 23 in Sullivan Superior Court by video conference. He has been in a single-cell segregation unit since the incident, according to Rich Larsen, public information officer for the correctional facility.

Melcher is serving two life sentences and a 65-year term for killing his pregnant wife and 11-month-old son in Jeffersonville. Police found the bodies stuffed into a Rubbermaid container about a week after the crimes.

Offline Jeff1857

• Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 05:58:21 AM »
CARLISLE, Ind. (AP) - A prosecutor says he intends to seek the death penalty for a man serving a life sentence who is accused of killing his cellmate.

Thirty-year-old Zachariah Melcher of Jeffersonville is charged in the strangulation death of 28-year-old Nicholas Roman at the Wabash Valley Correctional Facility in Carlisle in March.

Melcher is serving a life sentence without the possibility of parole for the 2006 murders of his infant son, wife and unborn child.

At a court hearing in June, Melcher told the judge he wanted to represent himself, but the judge appointed two attorneys to represent him. Sullivan County Prosecutor Robert Springer said this week he still pushing for a death sentence.

Melcher's trial is scheduled to begin in February.

http://www.wxix.com/Global/story.asp?S=8907294

Offline Aussie4DR

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 08:33:48 AM »
A classic case that send the antis running for cover. "Let them live..." to kill again and again and again.....
Although pehaps not an innocent, but none the less another needless victim of yet another murderer allowed to live.

These murdering thugs do a pro DP's arguing for us.
Thanks for your time
And you can thank me for mine
And after that's said
Forget it.