Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on Twitter

Author Topic: 73 Yr Old John Kenney Found Guilty in Cali Double Murder of Neighbors  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Jeff1857

• Fanatic
SALINAS, Calif. (Map, News) - An elderly neighbor has been ordered to trial for the killings of a Carmel Valley couple after years of bitter feuding, including restraining orders, assaults and killing of pets.

John Kenney could face the death penalty if convicted of two counts of first-degree murder with enhancements for using a firearm. Melvin and Elizabeth Grimes were shot to death in January.

Monterey County Superior Court Judge Stephen Sillman ruled Friday there was enough evidence to order trial for the 73-year-old Kenney. He will enter a plea Jan. 9.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
I seriously doubt that they will seek the DP. HOWEVER, just because he's 73 doesn't mean they shouldn't. For me, age is just a number and he DID commit a double murder. But then again this is Cali and say he gets convicted at 74 he wouldn't face execution til he's probably at LEAST 92. So to save taxpayer dollars <can't believe I'm saying this> maybe the prosecutors should just seek life sentences in both murders.

Offline Michael

• Fanatic
  • Strange things happen.
Re: 73 Yr Old John Kenney Charged with Double Murder of Neighbors, May Face DP
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 05:01:17 AM »
Is this the X-mass-factor Jeff? Not the DP?  ;D

Regards

Michael
I´m not sure if there´s a hell, but I believe in executed murderers.

Offline Jeff1857

• Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 08:19:40 AM »
Yeah Michael I'm just full of the holiday spirt <well full of something anyway>  ;D ;D ;D

Offline john

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 03:33:39 PM »
At the rate California executes them I couldn't see this guy ever getting the needle.

Offline Granny B

• Administrator
  • Fanatic
  • I'd like to help U out. Which way did U come in?
Heck, at 72 it could be any day now.  ;)
" Closure? Closure is a misused word in the English language.  There is no such thing as closure for the family of a murder victim.  There will never be any closure for the death of our loved ones until we are dead ourselves.  The families have a lifetime sentence of anguish and sadness." 
Susan Levy

Offline Jeff1857

• Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 12:39:47 PM »
SALINAS, Calif. -- The Monterey County District Attorney's Office has decided not to seek the death penalty for 73-year-old Carmel Valley resident John Kenney, who is charged with killing two of his neighbors last year.

Kenney is accused of shooting to death Mel Grimes, 58, and Elizabeth Grimes, 55, on Jan. 29, 2007.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Didn't think they would seek the DP.

Offline Jeff1857

• Fanatic
Re: 73 Yr Old John Kenney Found Guilty in Cali Double Murder of Neighbors
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 01:51:42 PM »
John Kenney was found guilty of the first-degree murder of Elizabeth Grimes and guilty of the second-degree murder of Mel Grimes.

Kenney was also found guilty of discharging a firearm causing death in both killings.

Judge Stephen Sillman said jurors had reached a unanimous decision for all charges shortly after 10:30 a.m. Wednesday.

Jurors had been deliberating the case since Friday afternoon.

Jurors said that the case ultimately came down to reconciling the difference between what was heard on the 911 call made by Elizabeth Grimes at the time of the shooting and Kenney's version of what happened.

"Some of the facts didn't see to equal what Mr. Kenney was saying," the jury foreman said.

Kenney could face up to life in prison for both murder charges.

Sentencing was scheduled for Nov. 3.

http://www.ksbw.com/cnn-news/17496204/detail.html