Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on Twitter

Author Topic: Lisa Greene Sentenced to LWOP for Setting Fire Killing Her 2 Kids in NC  (Read 5231 times)

Offline Jeff1857

• Fanatic
CABARRUS COUNTY, N.C. -- The sounds of Lisa Greene's sobs filled the Cabarrus County courtroom as prosecutors began opening statements on Tuesday, showing the jury pictures of her two children – 8-year-old Addison and 10-year-old Daniel.

Greene is accused of setting a fire near their bedroom, and then leaving them to die inside their Midland home in January 2006.

Prosecutors told the jury Greene didn't want her children.

“She called her little girl Addy a ‘fat little chunky pig’ at times. She told her, ‘You embarrass me,’" the prosecution said.

Defense Attorney Lisa Dubbs said a lot of what Greene's accused of saying isn't true.

"Many of those things Lisa denies. It's easy when a person is accused of murder to remember things that person said about the people they're accused of murdering," she said.

Dubbs said Greene could not get to her children minutes after the fire sparked because flames blocked the doorway between the defendant and her children. And defense attorneys said prosecutors rushed to judgment when they accused Greene of murdering her two children.

"She did not save her children that night, and you will hear that she has paid a price that no mother should have to pay," Dubbs said.

Offline Jeff1857

• Fanatic
Re: Lisa Greene, On Trial for Setting Fire Killing Her 2 Kids in NC
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 01:29:22 PM »
CONCORD, N.C. -- Testimony is underway in the trial of a Midland woman accused of setting her home on fire, killing her two children inside.

Lisa Greene faces two murder charges in the deaths of her 8-year-old and 10-year-old in January 2006. Her trial began on Tuesday.

On Wednesday, Greene showed little emotion until she heard the 911 call her neighbor made that told the operator her house was on fire and her children were inside. Her shoulders trembled.

The 911 operator who took the call about the fire said he felt helpless.

"I just wanted to go through the phone. If I could have, I would have done it. That’s all I wanted to do.," Curtis Anderson said. “I wanted to go into that house and save those children.”

But prosecutors say Greene didn’t go back inside to save her children, and they are trying to convince the jury their deaths were intentional. Greene says its because she twisted her ankle.

In fact, Anderson told the courtroom it was more than two minutes into the 911 call before he knew the house was on fire and children were inside.

“I've never experienced that in my entire time as a dispatcher – never,” he said.

But defense attorney Lisa Dubs said that’s because not all parts of the conversation between Greene and her neighbor holding the phone could be heard by the 911 operator.

“So you have no idea what was being said during that time?” she asked.

“No, I don’t,” Anderson replied.

The 911 operator said he began to suspect foul play involving Greene toward the end of the 10-minute call.

“Those suspicions continued to rise and rise and rise,” he said.

Other first responders described the actual scene of the fire. A paramedic said he saw shoe prints left by the children inside the walls of their bedroom, as if they were trying to kick their way out.

Fire officials said a candle one of the children got for Christmas caused the fire, and according to the defense it was the flames in the doorway that kept Greene from saving her children. However, one deputy testified a burn on Greene’s foot looked more like sunburn.

Dep. James Moreau testified about what Greene was doing when he walked up. He said Greene was rocking back and forth and said repeatedly, “Go get my young’uns, go get my young’uns.”

Offline Jeff1857

• Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 01:32:32 PM »
CONCORD, N.C. -- The woman who called 911 for Lisa Greene after her Midland home went up in flames with her children inside took the witness stand early Thursday. She told the courtroom the sequence of events baffled her, and a doctor later testified that he too doubts Greene’s story.

Greene is on trial facing murder and arson charges for the blaze that killed her 8-year-old daughter and 10-year-old son in January 2006. She told police she ran out of the burning home and fell, hurting her ankle and losing her cell phone, so she had to ask a neighbor to call for help.

Marie Diss told the courtroom she awoke that night when she heard her dogs barking and saw Greene sitting in her front yard across the street. Diss said Greene was complaining of a twisted ankle and said she needed help, but the neighbor had no idea from what Greene was saying that her house was on fire and the children were trapped inside.

That changed when she called 911 and made Greene aware that she was talking to a 911 operator.

“I had 911 on the phone, and she said, ‘You have 911 on the phone?’ And that’s when she said, ‘There’s a fire – there’s a fire at the house,’” Diss said.

That was more than two minutes into the 911 call, the 911 operator testified on Wednesday.

Defense attorney Lisa Dubs said that’s because Diss didn’t hear everything Greene was saying from her front yard.

“You do recall hearing Lisa Greene making noises, and you couldn’t tell what it was?” Dubs asked.

“Correct,” Diss said.

Dr. Robert Chen, who treated Greene at the hospital after the fire, told jurors Greene never mentioned a sprained ankle, but she did ask to be treated for a burn on her foot. Chen said the woman told him it happened when she tried to save her children.

Chen, however, told the courtroom he couldn’t find any signs that Greene had actually burned herself.

“She didn't have any singed hair, no singed eyebrows, no burns that I could physically see," he said.

Chen will continue to testify on Friday. A nurse that assisted in the emergency room will also take the stand.

Offline Jeff1857

• Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 01:34:36 PM »
CONCORD, N.C. -- Testimony in the Lisa Greene murder trial wrapped up for the week when a friend of the defendant’s was asked a question about the relationship she saw between Greene and her children, and she began giving a controversial answer.

Greene is on trial on charges she set fire to her Midland home to kill her 8-year-old daughter and 10-year-old son in January 2006.

Her friend Misty McCaskill was cut short by the judge just after saying, “Certain bad things I can remember.”

The jury was moved out of the courtroom so the judge and the attorneys could hear what McCaskill was going to say. The prosecution and defense debated about what testimony the jury should hear, and the judge determined McCaskill’s testimony will continue on Monday.

The jury did get to hear all of the testimony from the doctor who treated Greene the night her house burned.

On Thursday Dr. Robert Chen told jurors Greene sought treatment for a slight burn on her foot. Defense attorneys say the burn happened when Greene tried to put the fire out and save her children.

Chen, however, told the jury on Friday that didn't think the burn was serious.

"In my mind, minimal means not close enough (to the flames) or in there long enough for injuries, to sustain serious injury," he said.

Chen was asked if Greene was overcome by carbon monoxide while fighting the fire, and he said he saw no significant signs of poisoning in her system. He made a specific point to make sure the jury paid attention.

“It doesn't just go away, OK. This is a very important point, if you need to write this down, you must,” he said.

However, Greene’s defense attorney argued the carbon monoxide from the fire hit her hard and was mostly cleared out of her system before she got to the hospital.

The bodies of Greene’s children were found inside their bedroom. Investigators say the wall had shoe prints on it where the children apparently tried to kick their way out.

tramoore

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 02:00:06 PM »
So she was acting weird because she had carbon mioxide posioning?

This case really bother's me.  What a horrible women!

Offline Henrik - Sweden

• Fanatic
  • Go pro? No!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 08:43:21 AM »
To me this sounds like a classical case of "enough $ will keep you out of jail". A well equipped defense with own investigation resources and some Johnny Cochran-type in front of the jury would almost certainly be able to produce enough "reasonable doubt" in the mind of the jurors to get a NG-verdict, don't you think? An ordinary public defender however...

As for her being guilty or not in reality - how can we really know? Neglect and verbal abuse isn't very strong circumstantial evidence when it comes to decide whether a person could actually murder their own children. Even her odd behavior (as it has been reported) could have other explanations also.

Offline Jeff1857

• Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 03:50:17 PM »
CONCORD, N.C. -- A jury heard the controversial testimony of a former friend of Lisa Greene’s on Monday. The woman had begun testifying on Friday when the judge cut her off and asked to hear everything she had to say without the jury in the room.

Despite objections from the defense, the judge ruled Misty McCaskill could continue to testify. She told jurors about the tenuous relationship she observed between Greene and her two children, who Greene is accused of killing.

“(She said) she wished she’d never had them, if she could she’d go back,” McCaskill said. “(She said,) ‘You all are lucky, you can go when you want.’ That’s what broke my heart the most – she said it in front of them.”

Greene faces arson and murder charges after a fire at her Midland home killed her 8-year-old daughter and 10-year-old son in January 2006.

Greene sobbed and her head dropped onto the table as her hairdresser, Wendy Lucas, testified to similar statements made about her children.

Lucas told prosecutors she’d heard Greene say about her children, “I hate them.”

Lucas also said Greene told her she didn’t want her children and wished she’d never had them. She said the children were often in the salon and heard what their mother said.

“They would tilt their heads down and look ashamed,” Lucas said.

The defense claims the women didn’t know everything about the relationship between Greene and her children and they didn’t hear the good things she said about them.

Several more hair dressers are expected to take the stand when the trial resumes next Monday.

Offline Michael

• Fanatic
  • Strange things happen.
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 11:58:28 PM »
I hope no good lawyer can spare here from her punishment.

Regards

Michael
I´m not sure if there´s a hell, but I believe in executed murderers.

Offline Henrik - Sweden

• Fanatic
  • Go pro? No!
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 02:41:59 AM »
I hope no good lawyer can spare here from her punishment.

Regards

Michael

So you know that she murdered them? Interesting, how can you know that? Based on the information from Jeff's posts this seems to be an extremely difficult case to me. She doesn't seem to have been some ideal mother, and neglect as well as abuse toward her children seems to be well proven. But that's not the main issue in the trial.

Offline Michael

• Fanatic
  • Strange things happen.
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 08:18:22 AM »
Henrik, I wrote it as an answer to your posting and i tried to post my feeling that she shpouldn´t be spared just because she had the money for a good lawyer.

Anyway i have the feeling she´s guilty, but this wasn´t my intention for the posting.

Regards

Michael
I´m not sure if there´s a hell, but I believe in executed murderers.

Offline Jeff1857

• Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 09:33:48 AM »
Henrik, you are right it's a very difficult case. Give you a little background where this case is. It's a huge case here right now.
It's in a little town about 15 miles from my city, basically a suburb.
Growing up we considered it a little country town with just our speedway there for Nascar. It's grown through the years and I'm not sure of the demographics but there are still a lot of hometown people there. I can't predict guilt or innocence at this time. Something is not quite right with the woman though. The reports I have been posting are coming from a local tv's website so it's difficult to get the full effect of the trial. This is a potential death penalty case and I'll be interested to see how it plays out.  I know one thing for sure. If I'm in a burning house and my kids are in there I ain't leaving them and running outside.

tramoore

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 07:17:23 AM »
Jeff,

I completly agree with your last statement.  Guilty or not, why did she run away while her child were still in the house? 

We had to evacuate a few years ago due to a huge brush fire.  We thought we had time to get a few things together, but then the winds changed and I dropped the box in my hand, grabbed my son and drove away.  I didn't even have shoes on, but I didn't care because my son was safe. And if my house had been on fire, my only thought would be getting him to safety.

Offline Jeff1857

• Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 07:42:07 AM »
Jeff,

I completly agree with your last statement.  Guilty or not, why did she run away while her child were still in the house? 

We had to evacuate a few years ago due to a huge brush fire.  We thought we had time to get a few things together, but then the winds changed and I dropped the box in my hand, grabbed my son and drove away.  I didn't even have shoes on, but I didn't care because my son was safe. And if my house had been on fire, my only thought would be getting him to safety.

Tra, Exactly my point. Even in the worse case scenario that I would not be able to get to them, I know I'd be burnt all to hell trying to get them out. So, did your house survive the fire? I see those wildfires burning out west all the time on the news and that stuff IS scary.

tramoore

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 08:30:37 AM »
My son and I were staying at my parent's house at that time, and since my father is a retired fireman, he stayed behind and was able to save our house and 7 others near us.  12 other houses were not so lucky.  It was the worse fire we had seen since we moved to NV in 1986.  We had a few others get close.  But if you are going to live in the trees on the side of mountain, you take the chance of fires.

There was no loss of life and the fire was arson, but they were never able to figure out exactly what happened.   People lost a lot, but they grabbed their familes and got out.

Offline Jeff1857

• Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 10:15:30 AM »
CONCORD, N.C. -- The father of two children killed in a house fire testified against their mother on Monday, providing damaging testimony in the Lisa Greene trial.

Greene is accused of setting her Midland house ablaze with her children inside in January 2006. Her murder trial has resumed after nearly a week’s break for Thanksgiving.

Darren Macemore choked up as he told jurors about the last time he saw his children, 10-year-old Daniel and 8-year-old Addison, just days before the fire.

“I didn't get a hug, but I said goodbye and I love them. That was the last time I saw them," he said.

At the same time, Greene, sobbed -- moments after hearing testimony accusing her of verbally abusing the children.

Macemore testified he saw and heard Greene call the children names, even verbally assaulting Daniel when his bedroom wasn't clean.

"His room wasn't just as she liked it, and she called him a little bastard. I told her I didn't want her using those names to talk to my young ’un," he said.

Prosecutors contend Greene didn't want her children around and murdered them by setting the fire and leaving them locked inside the burning home. Defense attorneys say the flames were too hot and she couldn't get in to their bedroom to save them.

One of Daniel's school teachers, Mary Beth Burr, told jurors she saw examples of Greene's anger in her office when her son didn't do well in his school work.

"I don't remember what she said, but I know she cursed at him,” she said.

The investigator who led the recreation of the fire took the stand last on Monday. His testimony will continue Tuesday morning.