Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on Twitter

Author Topic: Eric Queen NC DR Commits Suicide  (Read 2672 times)

Offline Jeff1857

• Fanatic
Eric Queen NC DR Commits Suicide
« on: August 12, 2007, 04:52:51 PM »
NORTH CAROLINA----death row inmate commits suicide

Inmate hastened his death----Queen, 28, was on death row 7 years

Eric Queen came of age in a prison cell while waiting to die.

On Sunday night, prison officials say, he decided to wait no longer. Department of Correction officials say Queen, 28, hanged himself with a bed sheet in the janitor's closet of his death row cell block at Central Prison in Raleigh.

A prison officer noticed the closet door ajar Sunday evening. He found Queen inside when he went to inspect the closet. Death row inmates have access to the janitor's closet to fetch supplies used to clean their cells, said Keith Acree, a spokesman for the N.C. Department of Correction.

Queen has spent his adulthood behind bars after Cumberland County authorities charged him and 8 others with a gang-initiation double murder in August 1998. The killings rocked Cumberland County, evoking fear in residents worried about a gang problem.

Investigators said Queen and the teenagers had taken part in an initiation ritual for the Crips gang; defense lawyers argued it was merely a "wannabe gang." Nonetheless, the crew kidnapped, robbed and executed 2 strangers traveling home from a nightclub where they worked. They shot another woman and left her for dead on a remote military road near Fort Bragg. The tips of their bullets were painted blue -- the Crips' signature color.

Queen was convicted in 2000 of two counts of first-degree murder and attempted murder.

Richard Lambert, father of Tracy Lambert, one of the slain women, heard Queen's name and the word "suicide" on his television set Monday morning.

"For me, it's a relief that it's over. The death penalty's been stopped, and we had no idea when the end would come," Lambert said.

He hopes Queen's death will ease the burden his wife has been carrying since their 18-year-old daughter's death. "She's been struggling since 1998," Lambert said. "Our relationship's gone downhill, and she's overprotective of our other girls. I hope it releases some of her stress."

One other defendant, Christina Walters, is also on death row for the gang-related murders.

Queen is the 1st inmate on death row in at least a decade to commit suicide, Acree said. 22 inmates in the regular population have killed themselves since 2000.

"If you really want to find a way to kill yourself in prison, it's difficult for us to stop it," Acree said.

He said prison officials would, however, probably review their policy of allowing unsupervised access to the janitor's closet, which officers cannot visually monitor.

In 2006, Queen's attorneys filed a motion in Cumberland County Superior Court asking for a new trial. They argued that jurors hadn't heard evidence about significant mental illness in Queen's family that affected their client and could have swayed the jury to grant him life in prison instead of the death penalty. The matter hasn't been heard.

A halt to the death penalty in North Carolina in January cast more uncertainty on Queen's future.

Queen seemed to be taking the delays in stride, said one of his lawyers, Marilyn Ozer. He was even positive, Ozer said, in a May letter to her and Bill Massengale, another of his attorneys. Queen wrote: "Even though things are idle, the situation can and will get better. Believe in yourselves and your work."

Queen thanked his attorneys for their efforts and asked them to send some meditation books written by an African priest.

Recently, though, Queen started to get homesick, Ozer said she learned Monday. "His family was going on vacation together," Ozer said. "It could be as simple as he really, really missed them."

Queen's family could not be reached for comment. His father is a retired Army officer; his mother battles schizophrenia, Ozer said.

Queen's attorneys and prison officials didn't see clues that Queen might have been feeling desperate. "He was the kind of person who would have kept it to himself," Ozer said.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
So sad to come home from vacation and see bad news. NOT.  ;D ;D ;D ;D. May the victims RIP and the families to have some closure in their lives.

Offline Granny B

• Administrator
  • Fanatic
  • I'd like to help U out. Which way did U come in?
Re: NC DR Inmate Commits Suicide
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 05:42:39 PM »
We should be so unfortunate as to turn on the TV and see that our murderer committed suicide, or even just died of natural causes, like a broom handle sticking out of her chest. :-*

But she won't because she loves her own life, even though she does not value other's lives.   :D :D :D
" Closure? Closure is a misused word in the English language.  There is no such thing as closure for the family of a murder victim.  There will never be any closure for the death of our loved ones until we are dead ourselves.  The families have a lifetime sentence of anguish and sadness." 
Susan Levy

Offline pizzpoor

• Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 07:50:41 PM »
We should be so unfortunate as to turn on the TV and see that our murderer committed suicide, or even just died of natural causes, like a broom handle sticking out of her chest. :-*

But she won't because she loves her own life, even though she does not value other's lives.   :D :D :D

Grandmother, a question, and a comment:  Would you consider it justice if she committed suicide or died of natural causes, in other words, cheating the hangman?  I dont know, but in my situation I would feel that justice was not served, maybe? 

Offline Granny B

• Administrator
  • Fanatic
  • I'd like to help U out. Which way did U come in?
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 08:20:27 PM »

Grandmother, a question, and a comment:  Would you consider it justice if she committed suicide or died of natural causes, in other words, cheating the hangman?  I dont know, but in my situation I would feel that justice was not served, maybe? 

I prefer she get justice from her execution.  But it would not hurt her as much as if she had hung herself, or had a painful heart attack, or someone killed her and she saw it coming with time to dread her own mortality.

If she is dead, she can no longer hurt anyone else.  Especially her daughter, Melissa, whom she has been hounding from prison.  Anyway she gets dead is fine with me.  So long as she gets dead.  Finito, Finale, Over, Done with, can no longer escape justice.  Out of our lives and our thoughts.

DEAD IS DEAD IS DEAD IS DEAD!!
" Closure? Closure is a misused word in the English language.  There is no such thing as closure for the family of a murder victim.  There will never be any closure for the death of our loved ones until we are dead ourselves.  The families have a lifetime sentence of anguish and sadness." 
Susan Levy