Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on Twitter

Author Topic: Harve Johnson - PA - 09/10/2013 - Stayed  (Read 830 times)

Offline turboprinz

• Fanatic
Harve Johnson - PA - 09/10/2013 - Stayed
« on: July 26, 2013, 04:11:40 AM »
Scheduled for execution on Sept. 10, the man who killed 2-year-old Darisabel Baez filed for a stay Tuesday in York County Common Pleas Court.

Harve Johnson, 32, was convicted of first-degree murder on Nov. 13, 2009 for the fatal April 2008 beating of his girlfriend's daughter. Gov. Tom Corbett signed his death warrant on July 18.

This is Johnson's first death warrant and avenues of appeal remain open to him.

This request for an emergency stay of execution also includes a motion for a post-conviction review of his trial and death sentence. The motion does
not identify any alleged trial errors.

According to court documents, Johnson does not at this time have an attorney but is requesting Michael Wiseman, a Philadelphia capital defense attorney, to represent him.

Wiseman represented Johnson on his appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court after the Pennsylvania Supreme Court affirmed his conviction and death sentence on April 26, 2012. Wiseman also signed the documents filed Tuesday in York County court.

Much of the filing requesting the stay of execution and a post-conviction review is a boilerplate outline of a condemned inmate's constitutional rights.

A Post-Conviction Relief Act (PCRA) hearing focuses on the actions of the defense leading up to and during trial, and challenges whether
the defense provided to the defendant was zealous and effective in its representation. A finding of ineffectiveness of counsel results in a new trial.

In his concluding paragraph in the request for a stay, Wiseman states, "This court should not allow Mr. Johnson to be executed without a meaningful opportunity to investigate and develop claims for relief, and for those claims to be fully and fairly heard."

Johnson's week-long trial ended with two hours of deliberation before the jury found him guilty of first-degree murder.

The timeline

April 6, 2008 - York City Police officers rush to a second-floor apartment at 710 W. Philadelphia St. after county control sends out a dispatch for a 2-year-old in cardiac arrest.

April 7, 2008 - Darisabel Baez, 2, dies at Hershey Medical Center from multiple blunt force trauma. Her mother's boyfriend, Harve Johnson, is arrested on murder charges and jailed without bail.

Aug. 8, 2008 - The York County District Attorney's Office files an intent to seek the death penalty.

Nov. 9, 2009 - Johnson is prosecuted for capital murder.

Nov. 13, 2009 - A jury convicts Johnson of first-degree murder.

Nov. 16, 2009 - The jury agrees on a sentence of death.

April. 26, 2012 - The Pennsylvania Supreme Court affirms Johnson's conviction and death sentence on direct appeal.

July 18, 2013 - Gov. Tom Corbett signs Johnson's first death warrant, scheduling execution for Sept. 10.

July 23, 2013 - Johnson, through an attorney not yet appointed to represent him, files an emergency motion for a stay of execution and a post-conviction relief hearing.

http://www.ydr.com/crime/ci_23715253/harve-johnson-seeks-stay-execution
I apologize for my not perfect English. Hopefully you understand what I mean. If not - ask me. I will try to explain.

Offline fangtasia0413

• Resident
  • Pro DP Pro Choice Liberal
Re: Harve Johnson - PA - 09/10/2013
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 10:08:14 AM »
We all know how this will go, especially since its his first death warrant. Wash, rinse, repeat 12 times until dude is dead of natural causes....
I'm a Bill Maher style liberal.  I believe in the death penalty for those who really deserve it, assisted suicide, pro choice, and the legalization of certain drugs.

“I don’t know what it is about me that makes people think I want to hear their problems. Maybe I smile too much. Maybe I wear too much pink. But please remember I can rip your throat out if I need to.”-Pamela de Beaufort-True Blood

Offline Grinning Grim Reaper

• Fanatic
  • Genghis Khan was a Liberal
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 11:19:40 AM »
Yeah but can you imagine the surprise when a PA X finally goes through...they'll be carried in kicking and screaming or walked to the gurney in complete shock.  8)
Vengence is mine saith the Lord...who are we to question the instruments used to carry it out?

Offline fangtasia0413

• Resident
  • Pro DP Pro Choice Liberal
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 09:07:19 PM »
If its that bytch Michelle Tharp, I will break out the lobster tails and Stoli Chocolate Razberi!
I'm a Bill Maher style liberal.  I believe in the death penalty for those who really deserve it, assisted suicide, pro choice, and the legalization of certain drugs.

“I don’t know what it is about me that makes people think I want to hear their problems. Maybe I smile too much. Maybe I wear too much pink. But please remember I can rip your throat out if I need to.”-Pamela de Beaufort-True Blood

Offline turboprinz

• Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 01:04:17 PM »
Pennsylvania Stays Execution of Harve Lamar Johnson Set for September 2, 2013
September 2, 2013

The York County Court of Common Pleas has issued a stay of execution for Harve Johnson.  The stay was likely granted to allow Johnson time to complete his various appeals.
July 31, 2013

Harve Lamar Johnson is scheduled to be executed at the Rockview State Correctional Institute in Bellefonte, Pennsylvania at 7 pm EDT on September 10, 2013.  Thirty-two-year-old Harve is convicted of torturing and killing 2-year-old Darisable Baez in April of 2008.  Harve has spent the past four years on Pennsylvania’s death row.

Harve did not have an easy childhood.  His mother, Cassandra Lloyd, was from the Spanish Harlem in New York City.  While pregnant with him, she drank alcohol and did heroin and crack cocaine.  As a child, he was often homeless.  Harve’s mother would also beat him and sometimes lock him in a room for days at a time.  Harve is one of six children.  One of his brothers, Heath, is in jail in Louisiana for murder.

Harve Johnson was living with his girlfriend Neida Elizabeth Baez and her daughter, 2-year-ol Darisable in April of 2008.  For 45 minutes to an hour, on April 6, 2008, Johnson tortured Darisable by beating her with a video game cord, one of the child’s hiking boots, and his fists.  Darisable died the next day, April 7, 2008, at Hershey Medical Center with more than 200 injuries, including various welts, and internal bruising and swelling.

A jury sentenced Johnson to death on November 16, 2009.  Johnson alleged that he did not mean to hurt the child, but that he “lost his mind and freaked out.”  Darisable’s mother, Neida, was also charged and convicted of 3rd degree murder for failing to protect her daughter.  Her conviction received a sentence of five to ten years.

Johnson will likely receive a stay of execution to grant him time to complete his appeals.  Pennsylvania’s last execution occurred on July 6, 1999.  There are currently 190 men and three women on Pennsylvania’s death row.

Please pray for peace for the family of Darisable Baez.  Please pray for strength for the family of Harve Johnson.  Please pray that Harve will come to find peace through a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, if he has not already.

http://www.theforgivenessfoundation.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1511:pennsylvania-sets-september-10-2013-execution-date-for-harve-lamar-mohnson&catid=40:general

I apologize for my not perfect English. Hopefully you understand what I mean. If not - ask me. I will try to explain.

Offline phlebbb

• Fanatic
  • T.A.N.S.T.A.A.F.L.
    • MSN Messenger - phlebbb2000@msn.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - phlebbb2000@yahoo.com
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 04:39:55 PM »
Geee.... Stay of execution in Pa.??? What a friggin surprise that is .... >:( >:( >:( >:(
You miss 100% of the shots that you DO NOT  take.........