Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on Twitter

Author Topic: John Manuel Quintanilla Jr. - TX - 7/16/13 Executed  (Read 3504 times)

Offline Grinning Grim Reaper

• Fanatic
  • Genghis Khan was a Liberal
John Manuel Quintanilla Jr. - TX - 7/16/13 Executed
« on: January 19, 2013, 11:33:21 AM »
A May 14 execution date has been set for John Quintanilla, convicted of gunning down 60-year-old Victor Billings in a robbery gone bad in November 2002.

www.tdcj.state.tx.us
Vengence is mine saith the Lord...who are we to question the instruments used to carry it out?

Offline ggbop

• Fanatic
  • PRO-DP Scot who is hated by PTO - I am blessed
    • MSN Messenger - glynisf@hotmail.com
Re: John Manuel Quintanilla Jr. - TX - 5/14/13
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 03:29:20 AM »
Read on Ladies, how can we resist such charm and innocence.... ;D ;D

-----------------------------

Dear reader,

Hi, my name is john m. Quintanilla Jr.

I am an inmate on the Texas Death Row.

I’ve been here for a little over 3 years.

I try to fill my time with things like drawing, writing poems, writing letters and listening to my radio.

On Texas Death Row I am confined to a cell for 22 hours a day. i was born in Port Lavaca Texas.  But I have lived in places like Texas City, Palacios, Bloomington and Victoria. but mostly in Texas City and Victoria.

I was born on December 9, 1976. I have about 22 tattoos and a few piercings. I am on Death row for a robbery/murder that `i did not commit although i did claim responsibility. but I did have my reasons for that and if your interested in finding out, all you got to do is write and I’ll explain it.

As you can guess there is not much to do in this small cell and sometimes 22 hours a day can seem like a very long time. So I am asking anyone and everyone with a little tome to drop me a few lines. It would really be nice. thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

John M. Quintanilla Jr.
Polunsky Unit
3872 F.M. 350 South
Livingston, Texas, 77351
USA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.friendonline.org/john-m-quintanilla.html
Genesis 9:6
"Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed; for in the image of God has God made man. "

Offline faithamor7

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 04:52:49 PM »
Only a dumb ass would take responsiblity for something you didn't do! Liar! Liar! you can't fool me.  :D :D :D You did it and you NO you did it so now you will feel what the victim felt.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Angelstorm

• Troll Exterminator
  • Fanatic
  • ALLERGIES: B/S, Rabid Anti's & Shetland Ponies!!
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 11:19:37 PM »
What a boy scout   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  I think I may throw up..... Dumbass  ???

Offline turboprinz

• Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 10:22:43 AM »
http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/death_row/dr_info/quintanillajohn.html

Prior Occupation
Laborer

Prior Prison Record
TDCJ #701105 on a 10 year sentence from Victoria County for 2 counts of Burglary Habitation and Engaging in Organized Criminal Activity.

Summary of Incident
On 11/24/2002 in Victoria, Texas, Quintanilla and two male co-defendants entered an action amusement center through a partially opened back door, demanded cash from an employee and advised all other patrons to get down on the floor. An adult white male attempted to disarm Quintanilla and was fatally shot three times. A second victim, and adult white female, was also shot, but the injury was not fatal.

Co-Defendants
Jeffrey Bibb and Rodney Rodriguez

Race and Gender of Victim
White Male and White Female
I apologize for my not perfect English. Hopefully you understand what I mean. If not - ask me. I will try to explain.

• Fanatic
Re: John Manuel Quintanilla Jr. - TX - 7/16/13
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 07:00:05 AM »
According to the TDCJ website, Quintanilla's X has been moved to 7/16/13.

www.tdcj.state.tx.us
Vengence is mine saith the Lord...who are we to question the instruments used to carry it out?

Offline faithamor7

• Resident
Re: John Manuel Quintanilla Jr. - TX - 5/14/13 New Date 7/16/13
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 01:35:50 PM »
Why??? would they change the date. He seems to be bored being looked up for 22 hours! Let's move this dumbass to the grave!!! >:( >:( >:(

• Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 01:58:59 PM »
Why??? would they change the date...

Perhaps TX felt they wouldn't have time to scrape his $hit off the gurney before they snuffed Jeffrey Williams the next day!  ;D

Offline fangtasia0413

• Resident
  • Pro DP Pro Choice Liberal
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 02:59:30 PM »
Lemme guess, when he says he accepts responsibility, but says he didn't do it, he means he went in with his co-defendants intending only to rob the place, but one of them shot the victim.  Ummmm,  John, I know that does happen, but your lying ass was holding the gun!  And I suppose it just magically fired three times. :P
I'm a Bill Maher style liberal.  I believe in the death penalty for those who really deserve it, assisted suicide, pro choice, and the legalization of certain drugs.

“I don’t know what it is about me that makes people think I want to hear their problems. Maybe I smile too much. Maybe I wear too much pink. But please remember I can rip your throat out if I need to.”-Pamela de Beaufort-True Blood

• Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 11:43:23 AM »
After a short break, Texas resumes executions

By Jordan Smith

Just four days before Thanksgiving 2002, John Quintanilla walked into the Action Amusement Center in Victoria, Texas, wearing a mask and gloves and brandishing a high-powered rifle. He was there to rob the place, but things went sideways. When retired law enforcement officer Victor Billings, there with his wife Linda, tried to intervene, Quintanilla shot him three times in the chest, killing him. On July 16, Quintanilla is set to become the 501st inmate executed in Texas since 1982.

Quintanilla was picked up on Jan. 14, 2003, on a warrant from another county for an unrelated robbery. He was read his rights and questioned, first about the robbery and then, later, when Victoria police showed up, about the amusement center slaying. Although a Victoria investigator again read Quintanilla his rights, he failed to tell him that he would be provided an attorney if he could not afford one. Quintanilla never invoked his right to counsel and ended up making a statement that connected him to Bil­lings' murder. He was then charged, convicted, and sentenced to death for the slaying.

On appeal he argued that the statements he made should have been excluded from evidence because of the failure of the cops to read a portion of the Miranda warning. Moreover, he's argued that his trial attorneys were ineffective for failing to present mitigating evidence that might have convinced the jury to impose a life sentence instead of death. Those claims have been rejected by the courts. Quintanilla was Miran­dized multiple times before the Victoria detective delivered a subsequent, and faulty, admonition – one that was not required by law. And he specifically declined to let his lawyers present any mitigating evidence during the punishment phase of his trial; indeed, he said during a post-conviction hearing that he wanted the death penalty, if found guilty.

Just two days after Quintanilla's scheduled execution, the state is set to execute Vaughn Ross, who would be the 10th inmate executed this year.

Ross was convicted in September 2002 for the murder of Viola Ross (no relation) and Douglas Birdsall. The pair was found murdered in Birdsall's car, which was found abandoned in a ravine in Lubbock. Inside the car, police found glass from a car window, several .38-caliber shell casings, and the tip of a latex glove; in an alley just yards from Ross' apartment, police investigating a call of shots fired found glass, blood, and a shell casing – one that matched those pulled from Birdsall's car. A day later, Ross accompanied his girlfriend, Viola's sister, to the police station where he told police he did not get along with Viola, and had argued with her the night she was murdered. Ross consented to a search of his apartment, where police found latex gloves and a bloodstained sweatshirt; the blood matched Birdsall's, according to court records.

On appeal, Ross argued, in part, that he had received ineffective assistance of counsel because his trial attorneys had failed to investigate and present evidence of the criminal history of his former girlfriend, Regina Carlisle, whom Ross pleaded guilty to assaulting in 1997. Carlisle said Ross had stabbed her and stolen her car; police found that Carlisle had numerous stab wounds, including a laceration to her neck that was potentially life-threatening, according to court records. Ross argued that Carlisle's criminal history might have served to undermine her credibility. He also argued that his attorneys failed to present mitigating evidence that might have spared his life. On both counts the appellate courts disagreed, affirming Ross' conviction and death sentence.

On July 18, he would be the 502nd inmate put to death in Texas since the death penalty was reinstituted in 1982.

www.austinchronicle.com

• Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 11:51:40 AM »
Media Advisory: John Manuel Quintanilla scheduled for execution

VICTORIA – Pursuant to a court order by the 377th Judicial District Court in Victoria County, John Manuel Quintanilla is scheduled for execution after 6 p.m. on July 16, 2013.

In 2004, a Victoria County jury found Quintanilla guilty of murdering Victor Billings in the course of committing or attempting to commit robbery.

FACTS OF THE CASE

The facts of the crime were not summarized by any court reviewing the case, which focused on the specific facts surrounding Quintanilla’s confessions.

Quintanilla and another man walked into a game parlor in Victoria, Texas, in the evening hours of November 24, 2002. Victor Billings, a retired law enforcement officer, was playing games inside, as was his wife of forty years, Linda. Quintanilla and his partner wore pantyhose masks and carried long rifles. One robber went into the parlor office while Quintanilla ordered the clerk, standing next to Mrs. Billings, to give him the money in her apron. She complied. Quintanilla later stated he stole some two thousand dollars from the game parlor that day. Quintanilla was pointing his rifle at the employee and Mrs. Billings. Victor Billings walked up to his wife and Quintanilla shot him twice. Billings grabbed the muzzle of the gun and Quintanilla shot him a third time, knocking him flat to the ground. Billings died of these gunshot wounds to the torso. Two patrons ran out the front door and Quintanilla shot at them from the rear of the facility. The shots were head high and struck the front door area.

At punishment, the State additionally presented testimony of Dr. Richard Coons, a forensic psychiatrist, who opined on the basis of a hypothetical question greatly resembling the facts of this case that such an inmate would probably be a future danger, and would be a greater risk if sentenced to life than if he were sent to death row.

After the State rested its punishment case, the court convened a hearing outside the presence of the jury. Trial counsel for Quintanilla indicated they would rest, in obedience to their client’s instructions. The trial court questioned Quintanilla regarding his awareness and understanding of his right to present evidence on punishment and the possible benefit of such evidence. Quintanilla confirmed that it was his considered wish not to present evidence in mitigation or regarding future dangerousness. Before the jury, defense counsel rested.

On the following day, before argument began and outside the jury’s presence, the court again addressed Quintanilla and emphasized the possible benefits of presenting evidence in mitigation. The court additionally pointed out that trial counsel had the expertise and experience to make determinations regarding useful evidence, and that without any punishment evidence from the defense, the jury’s decision would be based solely on the State’s presentation. Quintanilla repeatedly indicated that he had fully discussed this issue with his attorneys and that his decision was made freely, knowingly and voluntarily. Defense counsel indicated that they disagreed with Quintanilla’s decision but did not believe him to be incompetent in any way, and the court concurred. Counsel added that this had been an “ongoing situation” for the two years he had represented the defendant, and that both attorneys had counseled Quintanilla at great length for those two years without success in changing his position.

PROCEDURAL HISTORY

In 2003, a Victoria County grand jury indicted Quintanilla for murdering Victor Billings while committing or attempting to commit robbery on or about Nov. 24, 2002.

In 2004, a Victoria County jury found Quintanilla guilty of murdering Victor Billings. The jury recommended capital punishment, and on Dec. 14, 2004, the court sentenced Quintanilla to death by lethal injection.

On June 27, 2007, the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals affirmed Quintanilla’s conviction and sentence.

Quintanilla did not file a petition for a writ of certiorari with the U.S. Supreme Court.

On June 22, 2006, Quintanilla sought to challenge his conviction and sentence by seeking an application for a state writ of habeas corpus with the state trial court, while his direct appeal was pending.

In 2007, the trial court held an evidentiary hearing on the ineffective-assistance-of-counsel claim and issued findings of fact and conclusions of law.

On June 4, 2008, the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals adopted the trial court’s findings and conclusions and denied habeas relief.

On May 30, 2009, Quintanilla filed a federal petition for a writ of habeas corpus with the federal district court for the Southern District of Texas.

On Jan. 25, 2011, the federal district court denied Quintanilla’s petition for writ of habeas corpus. A Certificate of Appealability (COA) was denied.

On Oct. 17, 2011, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit denied COA.

On Jan. 6, 2012, Quintanilla filed a petition for writ of certiorari in the U.S. Supreme Court.

On March 19, 2012, the U.S. Supreme Court denied Quintanilla’s petition for writ of certiorari.

On July 9, 2013, Quintanilla filed a petition for a writ of habeas corpus in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas.

On July 11, 2013, the U.S. district court transferred Quantanilla's petition for a writ of habeas corpus to the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.

PRIOR CRIMINAL HISTORY

Under Texas law, the rules of evidence prevent certain prior criminal acts from being presented to a jury during the guilt-innocence phase of the trial. However, once a defendant is found guilty, jurors are presented information about the defendant’s prior criminal conduct during the second phase of the trial – which is when they determine the defendant’s punishment.

At punishment, the State presented testimony that Quintanilla committed another five armed robberies or burglaries, and attempted to commit a sixth, beginning in September 2002 and continuing through January 2003. Further, Quintanilla stabbed and sliced guards with improvised weapons and razor blades while trying to escape from the county jail in January 2003. Penitentiary packets revealed that Quintanilla pled guilty to second-degree felony burglary of a habitation in 1995 and received a 10-year sentence. Quintanilla also pled no contest to five other burglaries in 1995.

www.tdcj.state.tx.us

Offline fangtasia0413

• Resident
  • Pro DP Pro Choice Liberal
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 01:05:37 PM »
Even though I do not believe in law of parties, this is moot because Quintanilla was the shooter anyway.
I'm a Bill Maher style liberal.  I believe in the death penalty for those who really deserve it, assisted suicide, pro choice, and the legalization of certain drugs.

“I don’t know what it is about me that makes people think I want to hear their problems. Maybe I smile too much. Maybe I wear too much pink. But please remember I can rip your throat out if I need to.”-Pamela de Beaufort-True Blood

• Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 07:23:16 AM »
For the 1st time in 86 years, a Victoria County man is set for execution.

John Manuel Quintanilla Jr., 36, is to be put to death Tuesday by lethal injection after his conviction in the capital murder case of Victor Billings, 60, of Edna. The execution will be carried out at the state prison in Huntsville.

Billings was at Action Amusement Center, a game room, in the 3800 block of North John Stockbauer Drive on Nov. 24, 2002, with his wife, Linda Billings, when Quintanilla and another man, Jeffrey Alan Bibb, attempted to rob the store, said Dexter Eaves, the Victoria County district attorney when the case was tried.

Billings was a former chief deputy for the Jackson County Sheriff's Office.

"Victor stepped in front of the ladies and put himself in danger," Eaves recalled. "He grabbed the rifle and pulled it toward himself and said, 'If you are going to do anything, it is me you are going to get.'

"And John, very cold, just pulled the trigger. Not once, not twice, but gave him the last shot when he was on the ground."

A Victoria County district attorney had not pursued a death penalty case originating in Victoria County since 1927, when Ed Joshlin, a 19-year-old black man, was electrocuted on a rape conviction, according to information from the Texas Department of Criminal Justice..

"That decision was a very, very difficult decision to make," Eaves said about Quintanilla. "I made no bones about it to the jury - straight up, I am asking you to kill this guy. And that is hard to do; I'm sitting 6 feet away from him."

Eaves said there were multiple eyewitnesses identifying Quintanilla as the murderer, forensic and physical evidence and a confession by Quintanilla.

Bibb, also convicted of capital murder, received life in prison because he did not pull the trigger, Eaves said. Bibb will be eligible for parole after he serves 40 years of his sentence.

The jury unanimously convicted Quintanilla in December 2004, and he has since exhausted all appeal options, said Steve Tyler, current Victoria County district attorney, who filed the death warrant for the execution.

Quintanilla also shanked, or prison-style stabbed, a guard while awaiting trial for the murder in the Victoria County Jail and was convicted of attempted capital murder, according to Victoria County Jail records.

"What was the jury to do? You have evidence, you have a confession, you have forensics, they are on a violent crime spree, and then he continues to commit violent offenses while incarcerated. You can argue a lot of things, but you can't argue he is innocent," Tyler said.

An online petition, started in Germany, is advocating for Quintanilla's innocence, but Tyler said the petition is not based on facts and was not started by an individual in this county.

Eaves said he will attend the execution Tuesday at the request of Billings' family.

"In this situation, I think the death penalty was the best thing for them. I think there is going to be such a relief after next week, and when this thing is over, they can put it behind them and get on with their life," Eaves said about the Billings family, who declined to comment for this article.

Harrison Stafford, a friend of Victor Billings, said he was not surprised when he heard Billings died protecting his wife and others.

"He was one of the good guys, and I think that was part of the community reaction was that this happened to a really good guy," Stafford said.

Quintanilla's sister, Jennifer Martinez, said her family declined to comment.

"I really, really honestly feel for the Quintanilla family. No matter how bad a thing he did at the time, they are still losing a son, a brother, an uncle, a family member or a good friend. It is a life, and life is very, very precious," Eaves said.

www.victoriaadvocate.com

• Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 10:53:57 AM »

Texas man set for execution Tuesday loses appeal
AP
Posted July 15, 2013 at 10:10 a.m.
.Discuss
Print
A
A
A
Share this on Facebook
Tweet this

Email this to a friend

HUNTSVILLE, Texas (AP) — A Texas death row inmate has lost a federal court appeal that sought to halt his scheduled execution this week for the slaying of a retired South Texas sheriff's deputy during a holdup 10 years ago.

Attorneys for John Quintanilla (kin-tuh-NEE'-uh) have told state lawyers they'll now head to the U.S. Supreme Court to try to save the 36-year-old from lethal injection Tuesday evening in Huntsville.

The 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals over the weekend refused Quintanilla's appeal. He's facing punishment for the fatal shooting of 60-year-old Victor Billings during a robbery in Victoria in 2002. Billings was a retired chief deputy from Jackson County and was at the amusement center with his wife.

The execution would be the first of two set for this week in Texas.

• Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 06:46:04 AM »
Texas to execute man convicted of 2002 murder during robbery

By Karen Brooks

AUSTIN, Texas (Reuters) - Texas is scheduled to execute inmate John Manuel Quintanilla Jr. tonight for the 2002 murder of a man during the robbery of a gaming room.

Quintanilla, 36, is scheduled to die by lethal injection after 6 p.m. local time (CST) in Huntsville, Texas.

Quintanilla, a habitual criminal with six burglary convictions on his record, was sentenced to die for the shooting death of Victor Billings in Victoria, Texas, about 120 miles southwest of Houston, in November 2002.

On the night of the deadly attack, Billings was with his wife at a game room when Quintanilla and another man entered the establishment carrying rifles and wearing masks made from pantyhose, according to a report by the Texas Attorney General's Office.

Quintanilla pointed the rifle at Billings' wife and an employee of the game room and demanded money, the report said.

When Billings, a retired sheriff's deputy, approached his wife, Quintanilla shot him twice in the torso, the report said.

Billings tried to disarm the gunman by grabbing the rifle, but Quintanilla shot him a third time as Billings was on his knees, the report said.

He and the other man escaped with $2,000, the report said. The other suspect, Jeffrey Bibb, is serving 60 years on the murder charge.

Quintanilla declined to allow his attorneys to present mitigating evidence in his defense during the trial's punishment phase and was sentenced to death in 2004, according to the attorney general's report.

If the execution is carried out, it will be the 19th in the U.S. and the 9th in Texas this year, according to the Death Penalty Information Center.

Two inmates are scheduled for execution this week in Texas. The state has executed 500 inmates since 1982, according to the Death Penalty Information Center.

Texas has executed more inmates than any other state since the U.S. Supreme Court reinstated the death penalty in 1976. A third Texas inmate is due to be executed in late July.

www.globalpost.com