Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on Twitter

Author Topic: Could you find it in yourself to be the executioner?  (Read 3758 times)

Offline Rick4404

• Fanatic
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rick4404@aol.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Rick4404@aol.com
Could you find it in yourself to be the executioner?
« on: July 13, 2012, 07:59:36 PM »
In most states, the members of an execution team are correctional officers that have been brought together for the purpose of preparing an inmate for his or her lawful execution.  In some states, a prison staff member performs the executioner duty ... injecting pre-filled syringes into an intravenous line, throws the switch on an electric chair, etc. In other states, those duties are performed by trained personnel.

Most of the members of this discussion board are supporters of the death penalty.  We have a few opponents as well, and that allows for a good discussion of the topic at hand.

Please know that I do support the death penalty and I'm not going soft on you all, but the question that begs to be asked is this:  Would you be willing to be the one that carries out the process of causing a condemned prisoner's death in an execution?  In other words, would you be willing to be the proverbial executioner?

In most states, the corrections department does not draw volunteers from the general public to perform this duty.  They are always either correctional officers, or people with training to carry out the duty, and in a few states; the warden is statutorily required to serve as the executioner. 

In answering my own question, I would have to honestly say that I could not perform the duties of an executioner.  I just couldn't see myself taking someone else's life; even though I would be carrying out a lawful court order and upholding the laws of the state in doing so. 

Again, I do support the death penalty, but as a born again Christian, I would have a very hard time with being the guy who does the deed. 

Offline Russki

• Fanatic
  • Российская Федерация
Re: Could you find it in yourself to be the executioner?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 01:42:12 AM »
I think that anybody who has killed people for no better reason that they were on the other team, would not think twice about executing scum.
Bombs do not choose. They will hit everything   ... Nikita Khrushchev

I once said, "We will bury you," and I got into trouble with it. Of course we will not bury you with a shovel. Your own working class will bury you.  ... Nikita Khrushchev

Offline Kevin R.Hirschkorn

• Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 09:35:35 AM »
I could do it while eating an MRE and not miss a beat.......................
This was designed to hurt....Its a SEAL Candace unless you have been there yo will never understand...

Offline JTiscool

• Fanatic
  • Uses logic to outwit thuglovers, 1 scum at a time.
    • MSN Messenger - jtyugioh@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - hellkaiserjt
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 08:59:41 PM »
As Frenchy said in one thread, yes. It is our obligation to, when given the chance to practice what you preach so to speak.
My reason for supporting the death penalty? A murderer has less of a right to live than his victim and already presents a danger while incarcerated for life. They have nothing to lose when the most they can get is Life in prison without parole.

Offline Rick4404

• Fanatic
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rick4404@aol.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Rick4404@aol.com
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 07:28:49 AM »
As Frenchy said in one thread, yes. It is our obligation to, when given the chance to practice what you preach so to speak.

I guess I couldn't argue with that line of reasoning. I suppose if it was my job and doing that sort of thing was a part of my duties, I would have to do it. However, since I am not in the field of corrections, I would doubt rather sincerely that I would ever be called upon to perform that task. 

Offline Hangman1981

• Resident
  • There is never a shortage of rope.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MA7799
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 08:21:12 AM »
I could do it.
There is never a shortage of rope.

Offline Elric of Melnibone

• Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 10:24:52 AM »
IF I am brave enough to stand against the hordes of people that scream "i am troy davis" or some other flavor of the moment tard on death row, I for sure am willing to step up and do my duty as a man and as a citizen of this country and carry out the sentence. 
You can lead an ass to water and if you fight long and hard, you can make it drink.  But at the end of the day, after all the fighting, it is still an ass.

Banned from PTO 3 times so far for life.

Offline Mirrrr

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 01:12:52 PM »
Well I'm against so no I could never do it. I think it would hunt me the rest of my life. Nightmares everything.
Anti doesn't mean you write cold blood killers and marry them.

Offline Granny B

• Administrator
  • Fanatic
  • I'd like to help U out. Which way did U come in?
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 01:21:05 PM »

Put the death row inmates in a play yard with lots of razor wire and let them kill each other.  Save the taxpayer a lot of money.  They don't mind killing so let them do it for us.

Problem solved!
" Closure? Closure is a misused word in the English language.  There is no such thing as closure for the family of a murder victim.  There will never be any closure for the death of our loved ones until we are dead ourselves.  The families have a lifetime sentence of anguish and sadness." 
Susan Levy

Offline JTiscool

• Fanatic
  • Uses logic to outwit thuglovers, 1 scum at a time.
    • MSN Messenger - jtyugioh@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - hellkaiserjt
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »

Put the death row inmates in a play yard with lots of razor wire and let them kill each other.  Save the taxpayer a lot of money.  They don't mind killing so let them do it for us.

Problem solved!

Kind of like the movie "The Condemned", right?  ;D ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Condemned
My reason for supporting the death penalty? A murderer has less of a right to live than his victim and already presents a danger while incarcerated for life. They have nothing to lose when the most they can get is Life in prison without parole.

Offline Cat Burke

• Resident
  • Mother, of Murdered child-Victim of Violent Crime!
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 09:34:36 PM »
This is the job of my dreams these days...  To be the last one the murderer sees as it dies...  To know, I am putting down the monster who brought fear, pain and death to someone else's child!  To send each one to hell, and I'm so hoping there is one now...  Maybe I could finally sleep at night, maybe I could get my appetite back, maybe I'd stop hearing Saskia scream so loud in my head, if I had a job like this!   :(
I now exist beyond my own death.  We were Once the Burke's.  Now, we are all lost to this life!

Offline Russki

• Fanatic
  • Российская Федерация
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 10:05:38 PM »
"Put the death row inmates in a play yard with lots of razor wire and let them kill each other.  Save the taxpayer a lot of money.  They don't mind killing so let them do it for us."

That is a thought but I think the clinical dispatch of these animals (preferably using the electric chair) is still the best way but with a max of 2 years from conviction to execution.
Bombs do not choose. They will hit everything   ... Nikita Khrushchev

I once said, "We will bury you," and I got into trouble with it. Of course we will not bury you with a shovel. Your own working class will bury you.  ... Nikita Khrushchev

Offline Jase

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 10:44:55 PM »
I think there is more to this consideration than first meets the eye

I have worked in animal shelters for may years and have been involved in the Euthanasia of many dogs and cats. I can assure you it is only the person who has the most compassion for the animals that can truly do this right and make sure the process is carried out with the least possible stress to all involved.

Whilst I know there we are talking animals who probably donít deserve to die as opposed to the POS on DR there is still a line. If we go and do it with malice or cause pain, if we celebrate our actions, regardless of their crime we are no better than them.

On the other hand if we are too wrapped up in making it nice and easy and painless there is every chance we will suffer burn out and begin to fall to the other side. I do think I could do it for one simple reason. I think it needs to be done properly it needs to be carried out as safely (for every oneelse) and efficiently as possible. There also has to be respect for both the system and the prisoner and the system has to be seen to show this respect or we give more and more ammo to the Anti's and start to sway the popular opinion. Again could I do it? Yes for sure to make sure it was done right and there is no recourse from the Ex that may prevent future ones!!

I have the best job in the world. I work all day as a dog trainer, helping people understand that their dog responds to positive reward based training, and that we can find a way to make your relationship with you dog fun and enjoyable for the BOTH of you!!! I train people to train dogs to love life!!!!

Offline Kevin R.Hirschkorn

• Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 11:18:30 PM »
To put down an animal  is more pain then I care to go thru.. I had to do it for a cat that had cancer. He still haunts my place from time to time.. And I am way ok with that. But I hope to never have to do that again.   But  To put down a human LoL don't bug me in the least. I could do it and not put down my Crown on the rocks..

I think there is more to this consideration than first meets the eye

I have worked in animal shelters for may years and have been involved in the Euthanasia of many dogs and cats. I can assure you it is only the person who has the most compassion for the animals that can truly do this right and make sure the process is carried out with the least possible stress to all involved.

Whilst I know there we are talking animals who probably donít deserve to die as opposed to the POS on DR there is still a line. If we go and do it with malice or cause pain, if we celebrate our actions, regardless of their crime we are no better than them.

On the other hand if we are too wrapped up in making it nice and easy and painless there is every chance we will suffer burn out and begin to fall to the other side. I do think I could do it for one simple reason. I think it needs to be done properly it needs to be carried out as safely (for every oneelse) and efficiently as possible. There also has to be respect for both the system and the prisoner and the system has to be seen to show this respect or we give more and more ammo to the Anti's and start to sway the popular opinion. Again could I do it? Yes for sure to make sure it was done right and there is no recourse from the Ex that may prevent future ones!!

This was designed to hurt....Its a SEAL Candace unless you have been there yo will never understand...

Offline Granny B

• Administrator
  • Fanatic
  • I'd like to help U out. Which way did U come in?
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 08:06:34 AM »
"Put the death row inmates in a play yard with lots of razor wire and let them kill each other.  Save the taxpayer a lot of money.  They don't mind killing so let them do it for us."

That is a thought but I think the clinical dispatch of these animals (preferably using the electric chair) is still the best way but with a max of 2 years from conviction to execution.

Maybe so, but not when someone is hurting as badly as Cat is right now.  She needs time and perspective for that, and she has not had enough time yet.  I certainly wish her well.  Her pain is eating her up right now, like you and I have been eaten by it for so many years. :-*
" Closure? Closure is a misused word in the English language.  There is no such thing as closure for the family of a murder victim.  There will never be any closure for the death of our loved ones until we are dead ourselves.  The families have a lifetime sentence of anguish and sadness." 
Susan Levy