Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on Twitter

Author Topic: David Alan Gore - FL - 4/12/2012  (Read 16486 times)

Offline Grinning Grim Reaper

• Fanatic
  • Genghis Khan was a Liberal
Re: David Alan Gore - FL - 4/12/2012
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2012, 10:37:54 AM »
Supreme Court justices hear, but don't rule on, 1983 Vero Beach murder case

By Tyler Treadway

Posted April 4, 2012 at 1:00 p.m.

TALLAHASSEE — The state Supreme Court, which heard arguments Wednesday to stay the April 12 execution of convicted murderer David Alan Gore, didn't rule on the issue, but at least one seemed to hint that they weren't inclined to rule in Gore's favor.  :P :D :-\

Gore, 58, is under a death warrant Gov. Rick Scott signed Feb. 28 for the July 16, 1983, first-degree murder of Lynn Elliott, 17, of Vero Beach. He was sentenced to death but later was granted a new sentencing hearing. In that proceeding, a jury voted unanimously to recommend a death sentence and the trial court again condemned him to death.

Defense attorney Martin J. McClain of Wilton Manors, argued to the justices Wednesday that Gore's attorney at the resentencing failed to sufficiently argue that Gore had received ineffective counsel at his original trial.

McClain based his argument on the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling this year in the Martinez vs. Ryan case, which he said found that a defendant has to have an effective attorney in the appeal process to show ineffective counsel at trial.

McClain said the case "affects not just Mr. Gore and not just inmates on death row" but the constitutional rights of defendants in all appeal cases in the state.

The justices seemed concerned that a never-ending string of charges of ineffective counsel could result. Justice Barbara J. Pariente said the Martinez ruling could create "a nightmare" in the federal court system.

Assistant State Attorney General Celia Terenzio said the Martinez case "has changed absolutely nothing" in the state courts, and Pariente seemed to agree.

She suggested Gore might find relief in a federal court, "but I don't see how (the Martinez ruling) applies to change procedures in Florida."

The justices didn't hear oral arguments on other aspects of Gore's appeal, including that Scott was unfairly influenced to sign the death warrant after meeting in January with the Scripps Treasure Coast Newspapers' editorial review board and that the execution, on top of the 28 years Gore has spent on death row, would constitute cruel and unusual punishment.

Gore also is serving several life prison terms after pleading guilty to killing five other women in Indian River County. His cousin and co-defendant, Fred Waterfield, is serving life in prison for his role in the crimes.

TCPalm.com
Vengence is mine saith the Lord...who are we to question the instruments used to carry it out?

• Fanatic
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2012, 06:38:00 AM »

Death Row inmate seeks stay of execution for Vero Beach murder

By  Jane Musgrave
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Posted: 7:18 p.m. Wednesday, April 4, 2012

If all goes as planned, Carl Elliott and his extended family next Thursday will make a trip that has eluded them for nearly 30 years.

At 6 p.m., the 81-year-old plans to be sitting next to loved ones in a viewing area at Florida State Prison when a lethal cocktail is administered to the now 58-year-old serial killer who raped and killed Elliott's 17-year-old daughter, Lynn, in Vero Beach in 1983. David Alan Gore, who picked up Lynn Elliott and a 14-year-old friend who were hitchhiking to the beach, later confessed to murdering five other women and received five life sentences.

"We've been patiently waiting for this after all these years. We miss her everyday," Elliott said. "We're ready to go up there and see it done."

Whether Elliott and his family will finally see Gore die for murdering the teen now rests with the Florida Supreme Court.

And, thanks to a two-week-old U.S. Supreme Court decision, the options facing the state's high court aren't clear-cut. In arguments Wednesday, an attorney representing Gore urged justices not to make a snap judgment in his case.

"It effects not just Mr. Gore and not just Death Row inmates," attorney Martin McClain said of the high court's recent decision. It will impact hundreds of inmates who were convicted of far lesser crimes than murder, he said.

He urged the justices to stay Gore's planned execution to give attorneys throughout the state the chance to weigh in on what one justice called a "troubling" ruling that allows inmates to return to court after their initial appeals to argue that their attorneys did a bad job. Since claims of ineffective assistance of counsel aren't allowed until after a case goes through standard appeals, some claim the ruling could pave the way for court-appointed attorneys to represent prisoners after their initial appeals have been exhausted.

In Gore's case, McClain argued, he had not just one bad attorney but two. Stuart attorney Robert Udell, who gained fame in Palm Beach County when he represented teacher-killer Nathaniel Brazill in 2001 and was subsequently disbarred for financial misdeeds, made numerous errors when he represented Gore in a 1992 resentencing hearing, McClain said. For instance, he failed to tell the jury about Gore's alcohol, drug abuse and mental health problems or that chances were slim that he would ever be released if he received life in prison.

Another attorney, Andrew Graham, in 1999 argued that Udell's incompetence caused a second jury to recommend Gore receive the death penalty instead of a life sentence. But Udell denied he was at fault. Udell blamed another attorney, Jerome Nickerson, who he claimed was the lead attorney during Gore's resentencing. However, Graham never found Nickerson, who had moved out of state, which gave him little ammunition in the appeal that was rejected by the Florida Supreme Court in 2007.

As evidence of Graham's incompetence, McClain said he was able to find Nickerson with a quick Google search. The discovery of Nickerson is new evidence that should, as a result of the U.S. Supreme Court decision, give Gore another basis for appeal, he said.

Justices appeared less than enamored with McClain's efforts to use the recent decision to spare Gore.  :D :P :-\

Justice Barbara Pariente said the U.S. Supreme Court's decision in the Arizona case involving convicted sex offender Luis Mariano Martinez is aimed at federal courts.

"It has everything to do with the nightmare that's going to be created in the federal system," she said of the opportunity for inmates to flood courts with appeals. "It has nothing to do with what states are forced to look at."

Further, she said, McClain has had years to find Nickerson and lodge an appeal. McClain countered that, until the Martinez decision, he had no way to challenge Graham's incompetence.

Justice Peggy Quince said "the language of Martinez is really troubling" and it appears the ruling is far-reaching.

Assistant Florida attorney general Celia Terenzio said there is no reason to delay Gore's execution. Even if Udell or Graham didn't represent Gore well, the Florida Supreme Court in 2007 said their actions didn't spur the jury to recommend that he be sentenced to death. "There was no prejudice," she said.

Further, she said, the Martinez decision is very narrow, applying to people whose appeals were blocked on procedural grounds. Gore has had numerous appeals since he was first sent to Death Row in 1984, including one for ineffective assistance of counsel, which was rejected. Also, she said, the high court didn't say people have a constitutional right to be represented by an attorney in post-conviction appeals, only that in certain cases it may be necessary.

In death penalty cases, Florida always provides inmates with appellate lawyers for post-conviction appeals, she said.

Court-watchers said the decision facing the Florida Supreme Court's is difficult.

"The Florida Supreme Court is going to have to look at this as a new ruling without any guidance for how it's going to be interpreted," said attorney Michael Minerva, CEO of the Innocence Project of Florida. "The prudent thing to do would be to get additional time to figure out how it applies to Florida courts."

Richard Dieter, executive director of the Washington, D.C.-based Death Penalty Information Center, agreed. "It wouldn't be the first time an execution has been stayed because the Supreme Court surprises people with a decision."  >:( >:( >:(

www.wptv.com/dpp/news/state/death-row-inmate-david-alan-gore-seeks-stay-of-execu...
Vengence is mine saith the Lord...who are we to question the instruments used to carry it out?

• Fanatic
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2012, 08:44:05 AM »
Russ Lemmon: Staunch opponent of death penalty makes exception for Gore

By Russ Lemmon
Posted April 4, 2012 at 5:32 p.m., updated April 4, 2012 at 5:44 p.m.

Back in 1979, Glenn Feigen felt so strongly about the death penalty that he drove from his home in Broward County to the Florida State Prison in Bradford County — roughly a 5 1/2-hour trip — to participate in the candlelight vigil for John Spenkelink.

It was Florida's first execution since the death penalty was reinstated in 1976.

"I just got a candle and went," said Feigen, who was 20 years old at the time. "Like most people there, I thought it was a barbaric way to administer justice."

Feigen, who moved to Indian River County in 1996, won't be participating in any candlelight vigil for David Alan Gore, who is scheduled to be executed at 6 p.m. April 12.

If anything, he might be tempted to drive to Raiford and explain to protesters why he believes the serial killer from Indian River County should be executed. Gore and his cousin, Fred Waterfield, killed four girls and two women in the early 1980s.

"I see it as something that must be done for the good of society," he said. "Much like a cancer is removed by surgery — it's not done for the tumor, it is done to help the afflicted body to survive."

Feigen still opposes the death penalty. He believes death sentences are reached, disproportionately, in cases involving poor and minority defendants, especially young black men.

If not for reading "The Serial Killer Whisperer," he might have been opposed to Gore's execution.

Pete Earley's book, which was published in January, contains letters exchanged between various serial killers — including Gore — and Las Vegas resident Tony Ciaglia, who suffered a traumatic brain injury in 1992.

Gore's letters are repulsive.

"I don't think anyone could read that book — read Gore's own words — and not conclude this guy is an evil phenomenon," Feigen said.

He says the book "is what pushed (me) over" to supporting the death penalty for Gore.

Earley is not a death penalty advocate. In fact, one of his previous books — "Circumstantial Evidence" — was instrumental in freeing a wrongly accused black man from Alabama's death row.

He's not anti-death penalty either.

"If anyone should die," Earley said, "it should be Gore because he is clearly guilty and has proved in his letters to be a completely reprehensible human being."

All of Gore's letters to Ciaglia were written since 2005.

As Feigen said, "It wasn't something he wrote as a youth."

Gore is now 58. He was 29 when he killed his last victim, 17-year-old Lynn Elliott, on July 26, 1983.

As I said in a previous column, I believe "The Serial Killer Whisperer" is what pushed the Gore case across the goal line. He has been on death row for more than a quarter-century.

Gov. Rick Scott signed Gore's death warrant on Feb. 28. (The governor first became aware of Gore's case during a Jan. 5 meeting with the editorial board of Scripps Treasure Coast Newspapers. The book was brought up in that meeting.)

"The Serial Killer Whisperer" (Touchstone, $24.99) is available at local book stores. The Vero Beach Book Center has sold 125 copies, making it one of the store's top-selling nonfiction books of 2012, according to owner Chad Leonard.

Warning: I can say with a fair amount of certainty that you'll have a tough time reading Gore's letters in the book because they are so disgusting.

Feigen, who is a nurse, believes keeping killers behind bars can be beneficial in one regard.

Take Ted Bundy, for example.

"You can gain a lot from somebody like that if you study him," he said. "Gore ... is just too evil."

In his letters to Ciaglia, Gore boasts about his killings.

"I don't recall Bundy bragging about what he did," Feigen said.

A few days after finishing the book, Feigen concluded he had to make an exception to his anti-death penalty stance.

"I became more and more convinced a death sentence was the only sentence a civilized society could reach in Gore's case," he said.

What about those who will hold a deathwatch before Gore's execution?

"You have to follow your heart," Feigen said.

Those holding a candlelight vigil are there "just to make sure society thinks this through," he said.

Fair enough.

With Gore, though, not much thought is required.

Feigen put it best: Gore needs to be executed for the good of society.

russ.lemmon@scripps.com

Let's hope those letters help put this SOB over the top!

Offline AnneTheBelgian

• Fanatic
  • PRO DEATH PENALTY, BELGIAN, CHRISTIAN, ROYALIST
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2012, 10:33:49 AM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/05/david-alan-gore-serial-killer-boasting-letters-execution-florida_n_1406059.html

April 5, 2012

David Alan Gore's Boasting As Serial Killer May Have Sped Up Execution

By BRENDAN FARRINGTON

04/ 5/12 12:26 PM ET AP

VERO BEACH, Fla. -- Serial killer David Alan Gore is set to be executed sooner than he expected, in part because he could not stop bragging about raping and murdering four teenagers and two women in the Vero Beach area about 30 years ago.

Several people have made sure the boasting did not go unnoticed. There was the Las Vegas man who wrote to Gore, an author who published the inmate's grotesque letters, and a newspaper columnist and editorial board who brought the case to the attention of Florida Gov. Rick Scott. The Republican promptly signed the death warrant even though more than 40 other men have been on death row longer.

Gore is set to die April 12.

"Those letters are so disturbing and so insightful into who this person is ...," said Pete Earley, who recently published some of the letters in his book "Serial Killer Whisperer." "Gore, actually, he talked his way into the death chamber."

Tony Ciaglia wrote to Gore and other serial killers on a whim after suffering a severe head injury as teenager. He has corresponded with a few dozen of the murderers in an effort to better understand them.

He began exchanging letters with Gore about five years ago, receiving about 200 pages in all. Most contained in the book are too graphic to quote. In one, Gore described step-by-step how he and his cousin abducted two 14-year-old friends and sexually assaulted them.

"I drug both bodies into the woods where I disposed of them. Oh and you can believe, I collected hair. It took a couple days to recover from that. It was a perfect experience," Gore wrote.

In another letter, Gore described his uncontrollable desire to kill.

"It's sort of along the lines as being horny. You start getting horny and it just keeps building until you have to get some relief," Gore wrote. "That is the same with the URGE to kill. It usually starts out slow and builds and you will take whatever chances necessary to satisfy it. And believe me, you constantly think about getting caught, but the rush is worth the risk."

Gore also wrote about picking up Lynn Elliot, 17, and a 14-year-old friend, who were hitchhiking near the beach on July 26, 1983. Gore and his cousin, Fred Waterfield, took them back to Gore's home, where the girls were bound. Waterfield left, and Gore raped both.

Elliot was able to free her feet and, with hands still tied, ran naked from the house. Gore, also naked, chased her and shot her twice in the head. A boy riding a bicycle saw the murder. His mother called 911 and the 14-year-old was rescued.

After being arrested for Elliot's murder, Gore confessed to the other killings. He led authorities to the remains of all but 14-year-old Angelica Lavallee, who hasn't been found.

Waterfield was convicted of manslaughter in Elliot's death and was sentenced to 15 years in prison. He was later convicted in two of the other murders and is serving back-to-back life sentences.

Scripps Treasure Coast Newspapers columnist Russ Lemmon, who has written about the Gore case for a couple of years, published a column for a few newspapers in southeastern Florida on the day the editorial board had an interview with the governor. They talked about the case, the book and read Scott an excerpt from an email from one of Elliott's relatives.

The board asked Scott if he had considered signing Gore's death warrant. The governor promised to look into it.

Meanwhile, letters poured into Scott's office, many of them mentioning the correspondence.

"Pete Earley provides compelling evidence that David Gore relishes every detail of his heinous murders," wrote Ralph Sexton, whose nephew was married to one of the women killed.

About a month after the editorial board meeting, Scott signed Gore's death warrant. A spokeswoman for Scott said he had not read the book.

Gore's attorneys are now appealing, arguing in part that the governor's decision to sign the warrant was unfairly influenced by the editorial board.

Lisa Burford, who was friends with Elliott, credited friends and relatives of the victims for continuing to press for Gore's execution.

"The timing of the book just happened to work out perfectly. That is the bonus of the book, is that it gave all of us more ammunition and more fire to see this through to the end," Burford said.

Ciaglia said Gore blamed him after the death warrant was signed.

"He was hearing that I used him," Ciaglia said. "He said, `It's water under the bridge, Tony, but I'm just kind of surprised. I didn't think you would do that."

Ciaglia doesn't want credit. He's opposed to the death penalty.

"I told him that I did not actively pursue it. That there's a lot of people – because you did some really, really bad things – there's a lot of people that hate you and they want to see you executed and they used these letters to get people's attention as to the horrible crimes that you committed," Ciaglia said.

Similarly, Earley isn't taking credit.

"The only person you can blame is Gore himself. His candor and his lack of compassion, empathy and remorse is stomach churning," he said.

Anne
"DEATH PENALTY OPPONENTS WHO TWIST THE TRUTH TO PROTECT KILLERS ARE ALSO TORTURING VICTIMS FAMILIES" (PETER BRONSON, CINCINNATI ENQUIRER,FEBRUARY 3, 2003)

PRO DEATH PENALTY AND PROUD OF IT !!!

JE MAINTIENDRAI (MOTTO OF WILLIAM I THE SILENT, PRINCE OF ORANGE, 1533 - 1584, MOTTO OF THE NETHERLANDS)

DEO JUVANTE (MOTTO OF THE PRINCIPALITY OF MONACO)

PROUD TO BE BELGIAN !!! I LOVE MY KINGDOM !!!

Offline J - Dog

• Resident
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2012, 09:21:52 PM »
Feigen put it best: Gore needs to be executed for the good of society.

Here we have an anti, saying he needs to depart stat!  Interesting.

Guess there is a PRO in everyone of us.  I guess it just takes a complete SOB like Gore to get the grease moving.

Gore needs to be executed for the good of society.  Now given this statement can we/he not say the same for the rest of the guilty death row imates in all states.  Just an honest question.  He seems to think Ted Bundy was good in prison and worth studying.  I don't get the logic, sorry Feigin.  Most are on death row for very serious and heinous crimes.   

None are worth studying or worth getting to know on personal level.  Please feel free to study them in after they are limp in a card board box.  ;D

"I don't aim ta scare" - Jonah Hex

Offline Jase

• Resident
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2012, 02:35:00 AM »

Guess there is a PRO in everyone of us.  I guess it just takes a complete SOB like Gore to get the grease moving.

Yep there are are amny who are anti right up until the unthinkable happens to someone near and dear to them or someone like this comes out of the dark then suddenly when they know who did it their attitude changes and maybe the pro's have a point after all.!!!

I would dearly love to have a poll of my country and know just how many would support it if they had the chance to implement it!!

It is only through places like this this and people like Pam who set them up that the real serious Pro who has a brain and a valid opinion really gets a chance to state a point!!!
I have the best job in the world. I work all day as a dog trainer, helping people understand that their dog responds to positive reward based training, and that we can find a way to make your relationship with you dog fun and enjoyable for the BOTH of you!!! I train people to train dogs to love life!!!!

Offline J - Dog

• Resident
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2012, 09:33:58 AM »

+

=

This filth should have been scrubbed 20 years ago.  Maybe we can trick them all to start writting letters and help speed up the process, but the pen pal will be:  your's truely, Florida DOC. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2125792/David-Alan-Gore-Inside-disturbing-mind-convicted-murderer-rapist.html
"I don't aim ta scare" - Jonah Hex

Offline Russki

• Fanatic
  • Российская Федерация
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2012, 10:36:17 AM »

I really like the look of that nice comfortable armchair for this one. Should be very good for his posture.
Bombs do not choose. They will hit everything   ... Nikita Khrushchev

I once said, "We will bury you," and I got into trouble with it. Of course we will not bury you with a shovel. Your own working class will bury you.  ... Nikita Khrushchev

Offline Last Suppers

• Resident
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2012, 06:25:55 AM »
Too bad old sparky has been retired...lethal injection is too comfy for Gore.

• Fanatic
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2012, 09:54:07 AM »

David Alan Gore: A killer with no remorse

By Melissa E. Holsman

TCPalm.com

Updated: 8:03 a.m. Monday, April 9, 2012

Posted: 6:27 a.m. Monday, April 9, 2012

VERO BEACH — When a panicked David Alan Gore bolted nude from his parents’ home July 26, 1983, he charged after abducted teenager Lynn Elliott as she stumbled hands tied and naked down a long drive, fleeing a scene of rape and torture.

Her tormentor raised his revolver, shouted for her to stop, then fired a bullet over the 17-year-old’s head.

“I kept running after her then she tripped and fell and then I caught up to her,” Gore, then 29, recalled later during a sworn statement. “I started dragging her back and she was trying, like, resisting, fighting me, so I throwed (sic) her to the ground. That’s when I shot her in the head.”

Shooting Elliott twice, Gore recounted, was a “reflex, just to shut her up.”

He knew a teenage boy bicycling saw the afternoon shooting. He hid Elliott’s body in the trunk of his vacationing parents’ 1975 white Mercury Monarch and retreated inside the home, where another naked girl, Regan Martin, 14, remained hogtied but alive.

“I went in and turned on the (police) scanner,” Gore said, “I knew the boy had seen me.”

Gore’s murderous acts earned the confessed serial killer a spot on Florida’s death row in 1984, where he has spent 28 years fighting to overturn his death sentence. He was sentenced to death a second time in 1992 after a federal judge in 1989 granted him a new sentencing proceeding. He also is serving five consecutive life prison terms for the other murders.

At 6 p.m. Thursday at Florida State Prison in Starke, Gore, 58, is scheduled to be executed for Elliott’s first-degree murder under a death warrant Gov. Rick Scott signed Feb. 28.

The pretty, sandy-haired Vero Beach girl who Gore and his accomplice and maternal cousin Fred Waterfield, then 30, picked up in Waterfield’s silver and black four-wheel-drive truck, was the last of several women the two killers targeted for abduction between 1981 and 1983. Dubbed “the Killing Cousins,” authorities say Gore and Waterfield were responsible for a series of murders in Indian River County and set a gruesome standard for slayings in Vero Beach.

For longtime locals, Gore’s crimes recall a fretful era when a string of killings shattered a community’s notion that then-quaint Vero Beach was immune to such acts of evil. Gore didn’t kill all of his victims, and some evaded abduction. Investigators though, believed his murder spree showed a pattern of escalating brutality.

Gore has not responded to a written request for an interview. Death row rules allow Gore to grant final media interviews before his execution, but prison officials said he has declined.

WITNESS TO MURDER

Police were watching Gore before July 1983. Phil Redstone, a retired Indian River County Sheriff’s Office detective, led the Elliott investigation. He said he knew Gore was on parole for armed trespassing after he was caught in June 1981 with a loaded gun in the back seat of a woman’s car outside a Vero Beach doctor’s clinic. Gore was ordered to prison for five years, but he was released in March 1983, state records show.

Before Elliott’s murder, Redstone said authorities suspected Gore in the disappearance of three women. At a preliminary hearing in his 1981 armed trespass case, Assistant State Attorney James Balsiger told Circuit Judge L.B. Vocell the state had reason to believe Gore was a “strong suspect” in the curious case of three women who disappeared in February and July of that year. Balsiger in 1981 said he didn’t have anything to support his suspicions, but in court he insisted “every time someone turns up missing, (Gore) seems to be in the area.”

“It’s not in the best interest of women in this community that he (Gore) be let out on the streets,” said Balsiger in court at the time.

Gore’s ultimate undoing started with the neighbor boy on his bike, Michael Rock, then 15. The teen, startled by what he saw, returned home to alert his family and law enforcement. Rock witnessed the brutal slaying, he later testified. When police arrived at 3925 Fifth St. S.W., deputies discovered Elliott, apprehended Gore and rescued Martin after a tense, 90-minute standoff.

DAVID ALAN GORE EXECUTION

When: 6 p.m. Thursday

Where: Florida State Prison in Starke

Why: Sentenced to death in 1984 for the first-degree murder of Lynn Elliott

DAVID ALAN GORE, by the numbers

28: Years Gore has spent on death row fighting the death sentence imposed for the first-degree murder of Lynn Elliott, 17.

29: Number of witnesses in the Elliott case called by state prosecutors to testify against Gore at his 1984 first-degree murder trial held in St. Petersburg.

$23,725: Average annual cost to house Gore on death row, based on a daily per-inmate average of between $65 and $68 a day.

6: Number of women Gore confessed to killing between 1981 and 1983, most with his cousin Fred Waterfield.

5: Total life prison terms Gore is serving for pleading guilty to the first-degree murder of five women in Indian River County.

3: Number of death warrants issued — two signed by Gov. Bob Martinez in 1988 and 1989, and one signed by Gov. Rick Scott on Feb. 28.

Source: Florida Department of Corrections, State Attorney’s Office records, The Associated Press, office of Gov. Rick Scott.

• Fanatic
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2012, 09:58:32 AM »

Florida justices refuse to stay Gore's execution

The Associated Press

Updated: 12:18 p.m. Monday, April 9, 2012

Posted: 11:32 a.m. Monday, April 9, 2012

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — The Florida Supreme Court has refused to stay serial killer David Gore's execution. He is scheduled to die by lethal injection on Thursday.

The justices on Monday unanimously rejected several arguments by Gore's lawyers.  ;D

That includes their contention a recent U.S. Supreme Court decision dealing with ineffective counsel applies to his case.  :P

The state justices ruled that opinion appears to apply only to federal rather than state court proceedings.  :D

One of Gore's lawyers, Martin McClain, says the ruling will be appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court and that other federal court options also are being considered.  >:( >:( >:(

Gore is to be executed for murdering a 17-year-old girl in Indian River County nearly 30 years ago. He also is serving life terms for killing five other girls or women.

Palm Beach Post

Justice, yes JUSTICE will be done!

Offline JTiscool

• Fanatic
  • Uses logic to outwit thuglovers, 1 scum at a time.
    • MSN Messenger - jtyugioh@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - hellkaiserjt
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2012, 10:10:15 AM »
Too bad old sparky has been retired...lethal injection is too comfy for Gore.

Is it really? I thought the inmate had a choice between the needle and the chair.

Either way, I am aware he wouldn't choose the chair.
My reason for supporting the death penalty? A murderer has less of a right to live than his victim and already presents a danger while incarcerated for life. They have nothing to lose when the most they can get is Life in prison without parole.

Offline Last Suppers

• Resident
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2012, 11:28:10 AM »
Yeah, they retired the chair in 2000. It's still an option, but no one has ever requested it, and they probably never will.

• Fanatic
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2012, 11:40:03 AM »

Detective details work in Fla. serial killer case

By BRENDAN FARRINGTON, Associated Press – 33 minutes ago 

VERO BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Detective Tom White knew David Alan Gore was a killer well before he murdered his fourth, fifth and sixth victims. He just had a hard time proving it.

But he came close — frustratingly close.

White was with the Indian River County Sheriff's Office when Judy Kay Daley disappeared in July 1981. Gore, who is set to be executed Thursday for murdering his final victim, soon became his prime suspect. He later suspected Gore was tied to the disappearance of a Taiwanese woman and her daughter, and his gut told him their bodies were buried in the orange grove where Gore worked. He spent a week digging before giving up.

More than two years later, after Gore was arrested for killing 17-year-old Lynn Elliott, Gore took authorities to the same spot. White watched while two drums containing chopped-up body parts were unearthed just feet from where he stopped digging. Now, almost 29 years later, White's voice is still tinged with frustration as he thinks about how close he came to solving three slayings before Gore went on to kill three other girls.

"They were like five or six feet away inside the drums," White said about the remains of 17-year-old Ying Hua Ling and her mother, 48-year-old Hsiang Huang Ling, who disappeared in February 1981. "I couldn't believe it."

White, now 67 and a former Vero Beach mayor, grimaced and shook his head, searching for the words to describe how he felt when his instincts proved right.

"I just... I totally... I, I was just so... If I just went...," White stopped and started. "If I just did this. If I just went over a little bit more."

He let out a big sigh.

White kept his eye on Gore, or at least tried to, after he began investigating the disappearance of Daley, a 35-year-old woman visiting from California. She disappeared from Round Island Beach, where someone had disabled the car she was using. Someone called Daley's relatives and said she was having car trouble and wouldn't be able to pick up her teenage daughters from another beach about 15 miles away.

White received a tip that Gore was seen at Round Island Beach that afternoon.

"So I checked with David and said, 'What were you doing around Round Island?' He said, 'I was going to check the tides. I wanted to see what the tide was doing.' I said, 'You work in a grove,'" White recalled.

Then he received another tip that Gore was at a pay phone with blood on his shirt right around the same time Daley's relatives received the call about her car trouble.

"David became my prime suspect. Because now this became too much of a coincidence," White said.

The shirt had been washed, so the blood evidence was gone, but investigators found two hairs in a bracket holding a two-way radio in Gore's truck. White called Daley's husband in California, and he shipped White his wife's hairbrush. Daley's hair matched the two strands found in Gore's vehicle.

"I took that to the assistant state attorney and they said, 'Without a body and without more evidence, we're not issuing a warrant for David," White said.

White remained convinced Gore was responsible, but the man got an attorney and stopped talking to investigators.

Bob Stone, who was the state attorney at the time, remembered Gore being a suspect.

"Everybody that I talked to in law enforcement, they thought he did it," Stone said. "No way to prove it."

Gore was arrested days later after he was found in the back seat of a Vero Beach police officer's wife's car. He was shirtless and had a cocktail in one hand and a gun in the other. He also had handcuffs, rope and a police scanner. Gore was sentenced to five years in prison, though he was paroled and served only about a year-and-a-half. White tried talking to him about the Daley case while he was in prison, but he refused.

So White interviewed Gore's wife. She told him they got in a fight earlier that year when the family dog pulled two bras that weren't hers out of the back of his truck. Gore drove her to the orange grove, started up a backhoe, put the shovel onto the ground and stopped. He sat there for a while, then shut the machine off and drove her home.

"It gave me the impression that because his wife saw the bras, he was thinking in the back of his mind, that he was going to kill his wife. And she's convinced of that, too, that he was going to kill her that day and put her in the ground. And for some reason he changed his mind," White said, adding that the bras she described sounded like the size the Lings would have worn.

He thought there were bodies in the grove, so he and another officer, along with inmates from the county jail, dug a trench six feet deep and about 100 feet long. They found nothing. But even after Gore was released from prison, he remained under White's surveillance.

"I just had a feeling that he was going to do it again," White said.

However, Gore's mother complained to then-Gov. Bob Graham's office, and a supervisor told White to leave Gore alone.

White said he argued: "You know he's guilty. We've got to find out ... he's going to slip up."

"No. You're ordered to stay away," White was told.

A message left on Graham's cell phone asking to talk about the case wasn't returned.

Again, White's instincts proved correct. Shortly after being released from prison, Gore kidnapped, raped and murdered 14-year-old Orlando girls Barbara Ann Byer and Angelica Lavallee in May 1983. Then in July, he kidnapped and raped Elliott and her 14-year-old friend.

Elliott tried to escape, running naked from Gore's parents' house with her hands tied behind her back. Gore ran naked after her and shot her dead in the driveway. A boy riding his bike witnessed the killing and went home and told his mother, who called 911. Gore was captured and the 14-year-old rescued. Gore ultimately admitted to and was convicted of all six murders.

"Sometimes you sit there and think I could have done more, I should have done this, I coulda, shoulda, would've and maybe one of those girls would be alive," White said.

The Associated Press

• Fanatic
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2012, 08:01:12 AM »

Russ Lemmon: Relatives of victims happy to see David Alan Gore's execution day is almost here

Posted April 10, 2012 at 4:05 a.m.

With the long-awaited execution of serial killer David Alan Gore now just two days away, the reality of what's about to take place is sinking in for those making the trip to Starke.

Jeanne Elliott says her stress level has gone up considerably since Feb. 28, the day Gov. Rick Scott signed Gore's death warrant.

That's not the case with her ex-husband, Carl Elliott.

"The closer it gets, the better I feel," he said.

Their 17-year-old daughter, Lynn Elliott, was the last of Gore and cousin Fred Waterfield's six murder victims. Gore shot her to death on July 26, 1983.

Almost 29 years later, the moment Carl and Jeanne — now 81 and 69, respectively — have been waiting for is now in sight. They both plan on being in the front row for Thursday's execution.

They want to see Gore, who will be strapped on a gurney, carted into the execution chamber and given the lethal injection. Once that happens, he should be pronounced dead within 10 minutes.

The state gave potential witnesses to the execution a DVD to watch, preparing them for what might happen Thursday. They were warned, for example, Gore may make a final statement — or he might not.

"The (DVD) sort of prepared you emotionally," Carl said.

Carl and Jeanne will be joined in the execution viewing area by several relatives and a close friend.

Their son, Jason Elliott, has not decided whether he will witness the execution. He will give his uncles and cousins first opportunity, should seating be limited.

Jason, who lives in Orlando, will drive his parents to Starke.

"I'm looking forward to it for my parents," he said. "It's great that it's happening, but more so for them."

Lee Martin also plans to witness the execution. She is the mother of Regan Martin, who was abducted with Lynn Elliott but survived the ordeal.

Regan Martin, now 43, is married with two kids and living in Georgia.

"I know that I am not going to witness the execution. I really don't want to see his face again," Regan Martin said. "My husband will be going in my place and of course my mother will be there.

"There are a lot of people from my past that I would like to see — to support some and to let others know that I am OK and doing well, but I also value my privacy. I may go and stay in the background, in the waiting area. I'm not sure yet."

Gore and Waterfield killed four girls and two women in the early 1980s.

Gore was sentenced to death for the Elliott murder. Waterfield is serving life without parole at the Okeechobee Correctional Institution for the deaths of two 14-year-old girls, Barbara Ann Byer and Angel LaVallee.

Members of both the Byer and LaVallee families plan to witness the execution.

"I just think I should be there," said Barbara Ann's father, Mike Byer, who lives in North Carolina. "We really owe it to (Barbara Ann) to see it through."

Mike said he made the decision to attend after reading "The Serial Killer Whisperer." Pete Earley's book — which includes graphic letters from Gore — was published in January.

"The book just kind of made me sick," he said.

Nancy Byer will join her husband of 46 years as a witness.

"I want to see it finalized — done with," she said. "This execution needs to happen. It needs to happen for so many people. ... We're all left with this emptiness."

Gerri LaVallee says she often thinks of her late husband, Dick, and the stepdaughter she never knew (Angel).

"He and Angel are constantly with me," she said. "I wake up at night thinking about them."

Her husband was never the same after Angel was killed, she said. He died in 1997 at age 57.

"My husband should be by my side for this," she said.

So poignant.

It's a shame Gore has outlived some family members of the victims.

For Judy Kay Daley, who was Gore's third victim, Hildie Tripson is planning to witness Gore's execution.Hildie's husband, Mark, is a cousin to Mike Daley, Judy Kay's husband.

"I don't know how it works in heaven, but I feel comfortable doing this for Kay," Hildie said.

Some people against the death penalty asked Hildie why she would want to be a witness.

She tells them: "Don't you think Kay was against dying the way she died? She didn't have a choice at that moment."

Mike Daley, who lives in California, said he will be unable to make another cross-country trip to attend the execution. He and his brother were in Florida just last month.

"I don't need to be there," he said. "He'll be just as dead when it's over."

Meanwhile, Barbara Ann Byer's father, Mike, isn't a death penalty advocate by any means, but he believes executing Gore is the right thing to do.

"It's just something that needs to be done," he said. "I don't take pleasure in it. It's just something that needs to be done."

Will the execution bring closure to the victims' families?

Jeanne Elliott described it this way:

"I don't know if you'd say it's closure, but it's a weight that comes off you."

A tremendous weight, for sure.

russ.lemmon@scripps.com.

I hope they have to drag this POS in kicking and screaming...starts crying when they strap him down...and $hits his pants when the needles are inserted.  Sick, vile SOB!  >:(