Christopher Thomas Johnson - Alabama Death Row - 10/20/2011

Started by AnneTheBelgian, September 16, 2011, 08:48:16 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

AnneTheBelgian

http://www.atmoreadvance.com/2011/09/16/execution-date-set-for-atmore-man-who-killed-son/

September 16, 2011

Execution date set for Atmore man who killed son

Published 3:02pm Friday, September 16, 2011

The date of execution for an Atmore man who admitted to killing his six-month old son in 2005 has been set with a Friday announcement from the Alabama Supreme Court.

Christopher T. Johnson will be put to death on Oct. 20 for killing Elias Ocean Johnson, on Feb. 20, 2005.

Johnson acted as his own attorney in his trial in 2006 and testified that he hit and suffocated his child because he hated his wife. Upon being convicted, Johnson requested the death penalty.

Johnson's death penalty was upheld in 2009 by the Criminal Court of Appeals, and Johnson did not seek any further appeals, according to Assistant Attorney General Clay Crenshaw.

Other link : http://off2dr.com/smf/index.php?topic=7882.msg53200#msg53200

Anne

"DEATH PENALTY OPPONENTS WHO TWIST THE TRUTH TO PROTECT KILLERS ARE ALSO TORTURING VICTIMS FAMILIES" (PETER BRONSON, CINCINNATI ENQUIRER,FEBRUARY 3, 2003)

PRO DEATH PENALTY AND PROUD OF IT !!!

JE MAINTIENDRAI (MOTTO OF WILLIAM I THE SILENT, PRINCE OF ORANGE, 1533 - 1584, MOTTO OF THE NETHERLANDS)

DEO JUVANTE (MOTTO OF THE PRINCIPALITY OF MONACO)

PROUD TO BE BELGIAN !!! I LOVE MY KINGDOM !!!

GermanFan

So this is a "volunteer", right? How are the chances that some lawyer does not try and succeed in declaring him insane, forcing the inmate into pursuing his appeals?
--
Let's be economical: The best way against high costs associated with the DP are swift executions.

ggbop

I abhor what he did, but respect for admitting his guilt and taking his just punishment.  He already knows he deserves to rot in hell, so why should anyone stop him.
Genesis 9:6
"Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed; for in the image of God has God made man. "

ScoopD (aka: Pam)

honestly, in a case like this I would support life without parole.  He wanted the death penalty, this should have been a suicide after murder which would show some form of remorse, this monster has no remorse and wants the state to do to him what he couldnt do himself!   Let the creep rot in a cell for the rest of his life.  Afterall where is the punishment if we give him what he requests?
<br /><br />If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine<br /><br />My reason for supporting capital punishment: My cousin 16 yr. old Amanda Greenwell was murdered in March of 2004 at the hands of serial killer Jeremy Bryan Jones.

ggbop

I can see your point Pam :)
Genesis 9:6
"Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed; for in the image of God has God made man. "

time2prtee

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/cbe74a6e71574357971371e9676a71ce/AL--Execution-Date/

MONTGOMERY, Ala. -- An Atmore man who admitted beating his 6-month-old son to death is scheduled to be executed on Oct. 20.

The Alabama Supreme Court on Friday announced the date for Christopher T. Johnson.

Assistant Attorney General Clay Crenshaw said Johnson essentially volunteered for execution because he refused to pursue any appeals and filed court papers in May saying he didn't want anyone to seek any on his behalf.

Johnson served as his own attorney at his trial in Escambia County in 2006. He testified that he intentionally hit and suffocated his son, Elias Ocean Johnson, at their home on Feb. 20, 2005, because he hated his wife, didn't want to be near her and didn't want to worry about her threats of putting him in jail for alimony or child support.

He asked for the death penalty. The jury obliged by unanimously recommending the death penalty and the judge agreed.

The Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals completed a mandatory review of his case in December 2009 and upheld his conviction and sentence. After that, Johnson refused to take his case any further in state or federal court.

Johnson becomes the second person scheduled for execution by injection at Holman Prison in Atmore.

Derrick O'Neal Mason's executed is set for Thursday for the 1994 slaying of Angela Cagle during a robbery at a convenience store in Huntsville.
"Indeed, the decision that capital punishment may be the appropriate sanction in extreme cases is an expression of the community's belief that certain crimes are themselves so grievous an affront to humanity that the only adequate response may be the penalty of death."  SCOTUS

Peace and Comfort to all Victims and Families

Grinning Grim Reaper

So this is a "volunteer", right? How are the chances that some lawyer does not try and succeed in declaring him insane, forcing the inmate into pursuing his appeals?

Perhaps in Oregon but not Alabama...although he can still call the X quits right up until they push the plunger.  We'll see.
Vengence is mine saith the Lord...who are we to question the instruments used to carry it out?

JTiscool

So is he going to volunteer for a ride in Yellow mama?  :P :P :P :P
My reason for supporting the death penalty? A murderer has less of a right to live than his victim and already presents a danger while incarcerated for life. They have nothing to lose when the most they can get is Life in prison without parole.

Angelstorms OL'Man

Yea the people in Oregon will let you kill ur self but a jury orders it and its wrong.  ?? WTF this the most bass backwords state  when it come s  to the DP next to next to cali any way.

Perhaps in Oregon but not Alabama...although he can still call the X quits right up until they push the plunger.  We'll see.
This was designed to hurt....Its a SEAL Candace unless you have been there yo will never understand...

JeffB

honestly, in a case like this I would support life without parole.  He wanted the death penalty, this should have been a suicide after murder which would show some form of remorse, this monster has no remorse and wants the state to do to him what he couldnt do himself!   Let the creep rot in a cell for the rest of his life.  Afterall where is the punishment if we give him what he requests?

Nahhhh, let `em go...  He deserves the needle, and if that's what he wants too - fair enough..  You got it pal...
"SO SUCK IT YOU "BLUE COOLER" DOPE!"  -  Sylar24

Grinning Grim Reaper

People don't know when to leave well enough alone!

Attorney Jack Carney to Governor Bentley on behalf of Christopher T. Johnson

Honorable Governor Robert Bentley
State Capitol N 104
11 S. Union St. # 600
Montgomery, AL 36130-2751

Re: Mr. Christopher T. Johnson

Dear Governor Bentley,

I am writing to ask you to commute the death sentence of Christopher Johnson, who is scheduled for execution on October 20, 2011. You have a tremendous opportunity to offer unsolicited mercy, as it is evident that Mr. Johnson will not be requesting clemency.

Mr. Johnson committed a terrible crime. What I find equally disturbing is the fact that he asked the trial court for the death penalty. He also refused to allow any appeal of his death sentence. Absent mental instability, human beings are made by God to fight for their life. God made capital murder defendants as well (in his own image in fact) and even they too have an innate drive to stay alive.

If this execution moves forward, the State of Alabama will be complicit in Mr. Johnson's suicide. I find it upsetting that a prolife, "Christian" doctor would be a willing participant in an assisted suicide. I ask you to use your legal right of commutation to help a man who is sick and in need of your protection. In addition, Mr. Johnson needs time to make peace with himself and peace with his God. For God "does not wish for any to perish but for all to come to repentance." 2 Peter 3:9.

As always, I will continue to pray for you and your family.

Very truly yours,

Jack T. Carney
Birmingham, Alabama 35243

www.cncpunishment.com/forums/showthread.php?1136-Christopher-Th...
Vengence is mine saith the Lord...who are we to question the instruments used to carry it out?

JeffcoCitizen

I would have more respect for him if he had chosen the electric chair instead of the sissy's way out using lethal injection.

NoLongerOnTheFence

People don't know when to leave well enough alone!

Attorney Jack Carney to Governor Bentley on behalf of Christopher T. Johnson

Honorable Governor Robert Bentley
State Capitol N 104
11 S. Union St. # 600
Montgomery, AL 36130-2751

Re: Mr. Christopher T. Johnson

Dear Governor Bentley,

I am writing to ask you to commute the death sentence of Christopher Johnson, who is scheduled for execution on October 20, 2011. You have a tremendous opportunity to offer unsolicited mercy, as it is evident that Mr. Johnson will not be requesting clemency.

Mr. Johnson committed a terrible crime. What I find equally disturbing is the fact that he asked the trial court for the death penalty. He also refused to allow any appeal of his death sentence. Absent mental instability, human beings are made by God to fight for their life. God made capital murder defendants as well (in his own image in fact) and even they too have an innate drive to stay alive.

If this execution moves forward, the State of Alabama will be complicit in Mr. Johnson's suicide. I find it upsetting that a prolife, "Christian" doctor would be a willing participant in an assisted suicide. I ask you to use your legal right of commutation to help a man who is sick and in need of your protection. In addition, Mr. Johnson needs time to make peace with himself and peace with his God. For God "does not wish for any to perish but for all to come to repentance." 2 Peter 3:9.

As always, I will continue to pray for you and your family.

Very truly yours,

Jack T. Carney
Birmingham, Alabama 35243

www.cncpunishment.com/forums/showthread.php?1136-Christopher-Th...
If I were to have some kind of complete psychotic break or get posessed by demons and ended up murdering my own daughter, I'm pretty sure I would lose my will to live. I would kill myself or ask for execution. There is no way I could live knowing I took the life of my own flesh and blood. I'm not going to bash this guy for his efforts to save Johnson, he is true to his principals. I know a lot of people who are across the board pro-life in all cases- from abortion to the DP to assisted suicide- and that's probobly where he is coming from. I can respect that. But in my opinion, execution in this case seems like the most humane alternative for all involved.

"I was once asked by somebody...if there was any way sex offenders could be stopped. I said, 'No.' I was wrong."

-last words of Westley Allen Dodd (executed for the rape and murder of 2 young boys in 1993)

Torquemada

Remarkable.  The prisoner is all but pleading to meet his maker so he is no longer burdened with the torment he must be feeling by taking the life of his child, and outsiders consider it's their right to interfere.  If I thought I had any right as an Australian to correspond with the Honourable Govenor Robert Bentley (and I don't believe for one minute that I do), I would.  I feel however, that Mr Bentley will stay the course and see that justice is done. 
'Ah well, I suppose it had to come to this' - Ned Kelly 11/11/1880

JTiscool

I am pro-dearth penalty, pro assisted suicide, and I have no opinion on Abortion. I guess I'm not pro-life  ???
My reason for supporting the death penalty? A murderer has less of a right to live than his victim and already presents a danger while incarcerated for life. They have nothing to lose when the most they can get is Life in prison without parole.

Go Up