H-R Hester - Tennessee - 10/25/2011 (Administrative)

Started by ScoopD (aka: Pam), July 27, 2011, 05:59:30 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

ScoopD (aka: Pam)

He was convicted of burning Charles Haney to death in his McMinn County mobile home in 1999.
Haney refused to loan Hester ten dollars to buy beer.

This execution had been stayed but it is my understanding the stay may be lifted in time.
<br /><br />If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine<br /><br />My reason for supporting capital punishment: My cousin 16 yr. old Amanda Greenwell was murdered in March of 2004 at the hands of serial killer Jeremy Bryan Jones.

time2prtee

An Excerpt from his 2008 Appeal

http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=17438908243400677975&q=%22HR+hester%22+tennessee&hl=en&as_sdt=2,31

Ms. Hester testified that she went to Mr. Haney's room and told him that she thought the defendant was mad at her because she had refused to lend him money to buy more beer. Then the defendant entered Mr. Haney's bedroom armed with a knife. According to Ms. Hester, the defendant was "very hostile" as he ordered her and Mr. Haney to the front of the mobile home. The defendant ordered Mr. Haney to sit in a recliner and Ms. Hester to sit on a love seat as he walked through the trailer complaining. He threatened Mr. Haney with the knife to his throat. Ms. Hester said she tried to run out the door and yell for her daughter, but the defendant pulled her back inside and placed the knife to her throat. The defendant retrieved some duct tape, ordered Mr. Haney to lie on his stomach, taped his hands, ankles, and mouth, and instructed Mr. Haney to turn over on his back. Ms. Hester said that the defendant bound her the same way, all the while repeatedly telling them that they were "all three going to die that night" and the defendant would "tell the law" what he had done. The defendant sat at the dining table for about five minutes, smoked a cigarette, and continued mumbling. The defendant went outside and returned with a jug of kerosene that he poured throughout the mobile home. He unplugged the fire alarms then threw Ms. Hester's pet dog outside, saying, "You little bastard. You hadn't done anything." Ms. Hester said that although her mouth was bound, she told Mr. Haney that she loved and appreciated him for being so good to her and began to pray.

The defendant attempted to light a fire, first with matches, then with a cigarette. When this did not work, he lit a twisted newspaper, placed it next to the stove, and left with the trailer on fire. Ms. Hester said that white smoke filled the air as she tried to scoot toward the front door, still bound. with duct tape, and she realized her legs were on fire. She recalled that the defendant had shut the screen door and slammed the front door as he left. She reached the door but could not open it. The next thing she remembered was lying on the steps outside the trailer and hearing her daughter calling her name and touching her. Someone pulled the tape off her mouth, and Ms. Hester said, "H.R. done this to me." She recalled her daughter telling her to "roll" because she was on fire, but she could not because her hands were still taped. Ms. Hester recalled a neighbor helping to tear off her jeans and taking her to her daughter's trailer until an ambulance arrived. She said that she came in and out of consciousness as she was transported to the county fairgrounds to be airlifted to the Erlanger Hospital Burn Unit.
"Indeed, the decision that capital punishment may be the appropriate sanction in extreme cases is an expression of the community's belief that certain crimes are themselves so grievous an affront to humanity that the only adequate response may be the penalty of death."  SCOTUS

Peace and Comfort to all Victims and Families

AnneTheBelgian

I have found an old article about this POS :

http://www.wbir.com/news/article/137251/2/TN-Supreme-Court-upholds-death-sentence-in-McMinn-Co-murder

TN Supreme Court upholds death sentence in McMinn Co. murder

5:35 PM, Oct 5, 2010 

Written by WBIR.com

The Tennessee Supreme Court has upheld the death sentence of a McMinn County man who set fire to a home because his ex-wife wouldn't give him beer money.

Investigators say on December 14, 1999, H.R. Hester returned to the home he was sharing with Charles Haney and his ex-wife Dora Mae Hester.  Ms. Hester was the live-in caretaker for the 76 year old Haney.  They say Hester had been drinking all day, and he asked Ms. Hester for 10 dollars to buy more beer.  When she refused, he held Haney and Ms. Hester at knifepoint and then bound them with duct tape. He doused the victims and their mobile home with kerosene, set the mobile home on fire and left the victims to die.

Ms. Hester managed to escape, but suffered severe injuries which led to the double amputation of her feet and lower legs. Haney died in the fire from smoke inhalation and severe burns. Hester surrendered himself to the authorities later that evening.

In March 2005, a McMinn County jury convicted Mr. Hester of aggravated arson, first degree murder and attempted first degree murder and sentenced him to death.

In a unanimous opinion authored by Justice William C. Koch, Jr. and released Tuesday, the Court addressed for the first time whether a trial court may replace a juror after the guilt phase of the trial, but before the sentencing phase deliberations began.

Following the guilt phase of Hester's trial, a juror became ill and was taken to the emergency room. The trial court designated an alternate juror, who had been seated throughout the trial and sentencing hearing proceedings, for the sentencing phase.

After examining similar cases throughout the country, the Supreme Court determined that there is "substantial authority finding that statutory provisions similar to ours authorize the replacement of jurors with alternates during the sentencing phase of a capital proceeding." Therefore, the Court concluded the trial court did not err in replacing the ill juror with an alternate juror.

The Court also examined Hester's argument that he was denied his right to represent himself. Due to ongoing delays, the trial court removed Hester's lead counsel from the case and appointed a new attorney. Hester disliked the new lead attorney, and requested she be fired and that he be allowed to represent himself. The trial court denied Hester's request. The trial court, however, excused the new lead attorney after  Hester threatened to have her family killed. The trial court then appointed the original lead attorney to take the case to trial.

The Supreme Court found that the trial court erred in its assertion that Hester could not represent himself due to a lack of understanding of the law. However, the Supreme Court concluded that the trial court did not commit error by denying Hester's request to represent himself. In reaching this conclusion, the Supreme Court cited the trial court's finding that Hester's request to represent himself was not genuine and instead was part of his ongoing effort to manipulate the process in order to reinstate his original lead counsel.

Hester also challenged the constitutionality of the state's lethal injection protocol. He argued that the "Lancet study," a reference to an article published in a British medical journal, warrants finding Tennessee's drug protocol for lethal injections to be cruel and unusual punishment. The Court rejected this claim citing the conclusions of various courts throughout the country that have dismissed the study as unreliable.

The Supreme Court rejected all of the other arguments raised by Hester in his capital case and affirmed the decision of the Court of Criminal Appeals. The Court held that the sentence was not imposed arbitrarily, nor was the sentence excessive or disproportionate. The Court set Hester's execution date for October 11, 2011.

Photo : The murderer Harold H. Hester >:(

Anne

"DEATH PENALTY OPPONENTS WHO TWIST THE TRUTH TO PROTECT KILLERS ARE ALSO TORTURING VICTIMS FAMILIES" (PETER BRONSON, CINCINNATI ENQUIRER,FEBRUARY 3, 2003)

PRO DEATH PENALTY AND PROUD OF IT !!!

JE MAINTIENDRAI (MOTTO OF WILLIAM I THE SILENT, PRINCE OF ORANGE, 1533 - 1584, MOTTO OF THE NETHERLANDS)

DEO JUVANTE (MOTTO OF THE PRINCIPALITY OF MONACO)

PROUD TO BE BELGIAN !!! I LOVE MY KINGDOM !!!

Grinning Grim Reaper

Wow what a pic...definately the offspring of a TN brother & sister! :o
Vengence is mine saith the Lord...who are we to question the instruments used to carry it out?

Grinning Grim Reaper

A couple of other sites have him listed on 10/11/2011 but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for TN to pull the trigger.  They are right there with Pennsylvania and Arkansas.
Vengence is mine saith the Lord...who are we to question the instruments used to carry it out?

Russki

The line across his forehead is, I think, the scar where his brain was removed.
Bombs do not choose. They will hit everything   ... Nikita Khrushchev

I once said, "We will bury you," and I got into trouble with it. Of course we will not bury you with a shovel. Your own working class will bury you.  ... Nikita Khrushchev

JTiscool

Not only pensylvania and arkansas but also nebraska. Hopefully they pull the plug on his life soon. Murder over $10? Wtf
My reason for supporting the death penalty? A murderer has less of a right to live than his victim and already presents a danger while incarcerated for life. They have nothing to lose when the most they can get is Life in prison without parole.

john

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all Tennessee executions effectively on hold, due to a challenge to the LI procedures, or something like that?

Amanda

To John:
Yes, you are right. In April 2011, Tennessee and other states, were forced to hand over their supply of sodium thiopental to DEA agents because of allegations it may have been illegally obtained from an unregulated overseas supplier. They've been trying to come up with new prodecures since then.  http://www.tennessean.com/article/20110417/NEWS/304170079/-1/MTCN06/TN-may-change-execution-method  has more info about it.   :-*

jcoulsonuk

is this happening?

Grinning Grim Reaper

Not in Tennessee it isn't...also see Arkansas, Pennsylvania, Nebraska, Oregon, California...etc.

TBloemink

Just pull the trigger TN, look at other states like TX and GA using pentobarbital, works like a charm.

jcoulsonuk

this needs to happen asap also what does pos mean?

Madinka01

this needs to happen asap also what does pos mean?

POS : Piece of shit
I remember

jcoulsonuk

i thought it was person or prisoner of scum ty

Go Up