Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on Twitter

Author Topic: Police are working towards indentifying boy found dead in Maine  (Read 449 times)

Offline JTiscool

• Fanatic
  • Uses logic to outwit thuglovers, 1 scum at a time.
    • MSN Messenger - jtyugioh@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - hellkaiserjt
SOUTH BERWICK, Maine -- Police were searching for answers Sunday after a boy's body was found on a dirt road in Maine.

The boy was found in the woods about 40 feet off the remote road, just outside South Berwick, Maine.

“A pedestrian walking on the road happened to look over and saw the body,” Maine State Police Sgt. Chris Harriman said.

Police started their investigation into the boy's death Saturday afternoon, but as of Sunday night they were still missing a big clue; detectives don't know who the boy is.

State police released a computer-generated photo of the child -- believed to be four or five-years-old, a little less under feet tall, and wearing a blue shirt and gray camouflage jacket.

Investigators knocked on the doors of the few homes nearby the somewhat desolate road, but no one recognized the boy.

“There’s a couple of houses at the crossroads there, but not really heavily traveled,” Harriman said.

“There’s no one out here, I mean, which is what we like about it -- we’re by ourselves out here,” Ben Lewis said. “There’s a few people here and there but if you were out here for an hour you might see three cars drive by.”

Police are now looking for a navy blue Toyota Tacoma pickup truck that was seen on the dirt road.

There has been no word on whether the pickup has anything to do with the boy, but with so few clues, investigators are chasing every possible lead.

Police also checked missing persons databases in nearby states including Massachusetts and New Hampshire but have found no leads, and now they’re hoping the public can provide the most important clue: The identity of this boy.

“It’s the next step in the investigation,” Sgt. Harriman said. “We can’t move past that until he’s identified.”

Police are encouraging anyone who has any information on who this boy may be to contact Maine State Police at 207-657-3030.

Stay with 7NEWS and WHDH.com for updates to this developing story. If you have information related to the story, please e-mail newstips@whdh.com.

(Copyright (c) 2011 Sunbeam Television Corp. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Link: http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/12004319013579/maine-police-try-to-id-body-of-boy-found-near-road/
My reason for supporting the death penalty? A murderer has less of a right to live than his victim and already presents a danger while incarcerated for life. They have nothing to lose when the most they can get is Life in prison without parole.

Offline JTiscool

• Fanatic
Re: Police are working towards indentifying boy found dead in Maine
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 01:02:48 AM »
A Texas mom who had been held and questioned in the suffocation of her 6-year-old son was charged late last night with second-degree murder, authorities said.

Julianne McCrery, 42, of Irving, Texas, was taken into custody on a fugitive of justice charge in Concord, New Hampshire Attorney General Michael A. Delaney said in a press release last night. She is expected to be arraigned this morning in Concord District Court.

Maine’s chief medical examiner said the cause of Camden Hughes’ death is asphyxiation, however the final determination is pending further studies, Delaney said.

McCrery, who was held earlier yesterday for questioning in the death of her son, would suddenly take far-flung trips, a friend told the Herald, but it’s a mystery why she would end up in Maine, where the discovery of her little boy’s body continued to shock residents who gathered last night to mourn the “blue-eyed angel.”

“She’d take off and do stuff like that,” said Christian von Atzigen of Irving, Texas. “She’d take off to Seattle or Tennessee. . . . That’s just her personality.”

State police took McCrery into custody for questioning after an alert caller tipped them off that the pickup they were looking for was parked at a Chelmsford rest stop on Interstate 495 yesterday morning. The pickup, registered to McCrery, was seized.

By late afternoon, she had been transferred from the Concord state police barracks to Emerson Hospital for a medical evaluation, though she hasn’t been charged with a crime.

The New Hampshire Attorney General’s Office has taken command of the investigation and last night the Granite State’s major crimes unit was at the Stone Gable Inn in Hampton, N.H., searching Room 104 for evidence in what police sources are saying could be another link to the case.

Von Atzigen, a friend of McCrery’s for 15 years who last saw her Easter weekend, said friends in her hometown are stunned.

“This is out of the realm of any kind of thing I could ever expect,” said von Atzigen, who told the Herald McCrery’s 6-year-old, Camden, was the boy Maine police found dead last weekend. He said he called Maine authorities yesterday to alert them.

Law enforcement sources also said McCrery is the dead boy’s mom.

Von Atzigen said McCrery had no connection to New England that he knew of. He also said she never told anyone, even her closest friends, who Camden’s father was.

The single mother struggled to make ends meet and worked “odds-and-ends jobs,” said von Atzigen, who said she attended court reporting and dental assistant schools and had various gigs driving a school bus, cement mixer and most recently, auto parts truck.

She also penned a book three years ago called “Good Night, Sleep Tight: How to Fall Asleep and Go Back to Sleep When You Wake,” which retailed for $12.99 on Amazon.com yesterday and had a one-star rating from customers.

From a marriage that broke up about eight or 10 years ago, according to von Atzigen, McCrery has an older son in the Navy — a fact she proudly displayed with a “Navy Mom” plate holder on her dark-blue Toyota Tacoma.

Camden loved cartoons, especially the movie “Cars,” von Atzigen said. The boy’s sneakers had a cartoon character from the Disney flick on the front.

Too bad they didn't make a first degree federal case. She deserves the death penalty  >:(
My reason for supporting the death penalty? A murderer has less of a right to live than his victim and already presents a danger while incarcerated for life. They have nothing to lose when the most they can get is Life in prison without parole.

Offline AnneTheBelgian

• Fanatic
  • PRO DEATH PENALTY, BELGIAN, CHRISTIAN, ROYALIST
http://www.wmur.com/news/29681762/detail.html

Mother Pleads Guilty To Killing Son

Julianne McCrery Appears In Court Friday

POSTED: 7:29 am EDT November 4, 2011

UPDATED: 1:02 pm EDT November 4, 2011

BRENTWOOD, N.H.--  The Texas mother accused of killing her 6-year-old son in New Hampshire, then leaving his body in Maine, pleaded guilty Friday.

Julianne McCrery pleaded guilty to second-degree murder charges in the death of her son, Camden Hughes.

McCrery has been held at the Strafford County Jail since her arrest. As part of plea agreement, she will spend 45 years to life in prison in exchange for pleading guilty to killing her son. It was back in May that Hughes' body was discovered on a rural road in South Berwick, Maine. The body was found wrapped in a blanket. The discovery led to a nationwide search to determine the identity of the boy.

Residents in the area where the body was found reported seeing a truck with a military insignia around the time of the discovery. That information eventually led to McCrery's arrest at a rest area in Chelmsford, Mass.

According to court documents, McCrery killed her son by lying on him and smothering him May 14 in a Hampton motel.

During the hearing, McCrery bowed her head and quietly cried as Prosecutor Susan Morrell described how McCrery smothered her son and carried his body out of the motel, wrapped in the blanket.

"When asked why she killed Camden Hughes, she said she believed there was no one else in her family she believed could raise her son," Morrell said. "The method that she chose to kill her son was particularly brutal, given that he struggled for his life for several minutes."

After she was arraigned in Massachusetts, her attorney said that he believed McCrery intended to commit suicide after she killed Camden. Her lawyer said she also told police she wanted the death penalty so she could be with her son, but she is not eligible for the death penalty in New Hampshire.

McCrery is scheduled to return to court on Jan. 13 for a sentencing hearing.

Previous stories : 1. http://www.wmur.com/news/29329611/detail.html

(with video)

McCrery's Former Boyfriend Surprised By Plea Deal

Robert Miller: Camden Was Just Like A Son To Me

POSTED: 1:43 pm EDT September 28, 2011

IRVING, Texas -- The former boyfriend of Julianne McCrery, who is accused of killing her 6-year-old son, said he's surprised she has agreed to plead guilty to second-degree murder.

Julianne McCrery’s former boyfriend Robert Miller, who lives in Irving, Texas, told News 9 that he learned of McCrery’s plea deal last night after speaking with her mother, LuRae McCrery.

McCrery is accused of killing Camden Hughes and disposing of his body in rural Maine.

"I guess there was a chance she could have got an insanity deal, and I don't know why she didn't take her chances to try to get that," said Robert Miller in a phone interview Wednesday morning.

Court paperwork said that "[Julianne McCrery] did knowingly cause the death of Camden Hughes by lying on him and smothering him."

Robert Miller said many close to McCrery wondered how she did it.

"I still don't know why she decided to do this," said Miller.

Miller said he's known McCrery since she was 16 years old but said they were only together for a couple of years; they split up three months before Camden was killed. The last time Miller saw Camden was about two weeks before McCrery drove up to New Hampshire.

"It was just starting to get dark and they were leaving and I was swinging him around in circles in the front yard," said Miller, who said he had no idea at the time that it would be the last time he would see the 6-year-old boy who called him dad.

Miller said Camden was in the talented and gifted program at his school and was the only kindergarten student who could read.

"The school named a corner of the library 'Camden's Corner,'" said Miller.

On May 14, the date listed as Camden's death, Miller said McCrery called him but acted like she was in the local area, not all the way in New Hampshire.

"She spoke to me as if she were still working, but she hadn't been to work the whole month," said Miller.

McCrery, 42, would be sentenced to 45 years to life in prison, according to court paperwork dated Sept. 23.

2. http://www.wmur.com/news/28351119/detail.html

(with video)

Little Information Revealed In McCrery Affidavit

Woman Charged With Killing Son

POSTED: 6:03 pm EDT June 24, 2011

UPDATED: 6:22 pm EDT June 24, 2011

PORTSMOUTH, N.H. -- New documents have been released in the case of a Texas woman accused of killing her son, but they reveal few new details.

Julianne McCrery, 42, was charged with two counts of second-degree murder in the death of her son, Camden Hughes, last month. His body was found on the side of a road in South Berwick, Maine.

The charges allege McCrery recklessly caused her son's death by asphyxiation and "extreme indifference to the value of human life."

A 12-page arrest warrant affidavit was recently made public. It had been sealed until media outlets filed motions to see documents related to the case.

But the affidavit gives little new insight into the case, with 50 different chunks of information blacked out by the attorney general's office. Investigators said the affidavit contains "sensitive case information" about witnesses, statements and evidence.

The state argued that prior to an indictment, it is entitled to keep the information confidential.

The state was recently granted more time to seek indictments. In a motion, prosecutors argued that the "complex investigation," "large volume of material" and evidence needed for charges, and coordination across multiple jurisdictions in the case warranted additional time.

McCrery remains held without bail. She was visited by her adult son, Ian McCrery, this week.

The next hearing in the case is scheduled for Aug. 2. A judge has ordered a hearing about the blacked-out portions of the affidavit.

3. http://www.wmur.com/news/27948490/detail.html

(with video)

Mother Faces Murder Charge In NH

Camden Hughes Found Dead In Maine; Julianne McCrery Accused

POSTED: 7:26 am EDT May 19, 2011

UPDATED: 1:28 am EDT May 20, 2011

PORTSMOUTH, N.H. -- A 6-year-old boy who was found dead on the side of a remote road in Maine was killed in New Hampshire the same day he was found, the New Hampshire attorney general's office said.

The mother of the boy, Julianne McCrery, 42, of Irving, Texas, was arraigned on a charge of second-degree murder in New Hampshire on Thursday afternoon, accused of killing her son, Camden Hughes. She broke down in tears during the brief hearing, in which no bail was set, and a probable cause hearing was scheduled for later this month.

Earlier in the day, McCrery waived extradition in Massachusetts and was taken back to New Hampshire for her arraignment.

McCrery's attorney, George Murphy, said he didn't know if McCrery was competent to stand trial, but he said he believes she is "aware."

"'I want to be in heaven with my son,'" Murphy said McCrery told him. "She kept saying it over and over again that, 'I just want to die. I don't want to live.'"

"Last night, I was just concerned with her. She just wanted to die," he said.

Murphy said McCrery told him she wished she was charged with first-degree murder, "So I can get the death penalty."

ABC News reported that McCrery had confessed to the killing and said she accidentally gave the boy too much cough syrup. The attorney general's office said it is waiting for toxicology reports before making a final determination of the cause of death. The preliminary cause of death is asphyxiation, investigators said.

McCrery is facing two alternative counts of second-degree murder, one alleging that she acted recklessly and another alleging that she acted knowingly.

Camden's school confirmed Thursday that the boy hadn't been in class for two weeks. But officials said they had been in touch with his mother, who said he was sick with a sore throat. The school said she told officials this week that she was concerned he might have appendicitis.

The boy was in the gifted students program.

"I talked to his teachers, who said he was so gregarious," said Pat Lamb, the school district's director of security and operations. "He just loved to learn."

Hughes' body was found in a wooded area in South Berwick, Maine, on May 14. It took police four days to officially identify the boy and make an arrest.

The attorney general said the boy was killed in Hampton, N.H., on May 14, and investigators have been focusing on the Stone Gable Inn in Hampton.

Local motel owners in the area said detectives were asking them about the case earlier in the day.

"It was really upsetting to find out there was a little boy that he could have died here. You never know," Hampton resident Larry Regan said.

Regan said he has lived at the motel for the past two months and that most of the people staying there have been long-term residents.

He said that's why he took notice when he saw McCrery check in. Regan said she only stayed for one night.

"She was irate. She was angry and very disheveled. Her hair was all messed up and things like that," Regan said.

He said he never saw Camden but heard McCrery yelling at someone he presumed was her child as he passed by her room last week.

"(She was) just yelling. Typical screaming of a parent that was irate," Regan said.

Camden's older half-brother said he can't believe their mother was involved.

"I know in my heart that she didn't do anything malicious," Ian McCrery said. "It had to have been an accident. There's no way."

Ian McCrery, a sailor stationed in Virginia, said he saw himself as a father figure to Camden. He said he last spoke with his mother on Saturday and said she seemed different.

"I was like, 'Is there anything wrong?' I could tell in her voice that she was upset or something, but she said she was OK," Ian McCrery said.

Police said Julianne McCrery's arrest was helped by truck driver Steve Scipione, who identified the woman's vehicle at a Chelmsford, Mass., rest stop on Interstate 495.

Scipione said he was driving from Maine when he pulled into the rest stop Wednesday morning. He said his eye was immediately caught by the blue Tacoma, and after he saw the U.S. Navy bracket around the license plate, he decided to call 911 and report the vehicle that matched the description given by police.

"I said, 'I see a blue truck with Navy insignia around the plate, and I think that's the truck from Maine you guys are looking for,'" Scipione said.

He said he waited to see what police would do, and when they started going back to their own vehicles after talking to the woman in the truck for about 10 minutes, he thought he was wrong and left.

Scipione said when he drove by the rest stop later and saw the truck being towed, he knew he was right about making the call, and he broke down and cried.

Photos : 1. The murderer Julianne McCrery >:(

2. The victim Camden Pierce Hughes :'(

Rest in Peace Camden Pierce :'( :-* God bless you Little Angel :'( :-*

Anne

"DEATH PENALTY OPPONENTS WHO TWIST THE TRUTH TO PROTECT KILLERS ARE ALSO TORTURING VICTIMS FAMILIES" (PETER BRONSON, CINCINNATI ENQUIRER,FEBRUARY 3, 2003)

PRO DEATH PENALTY AND PROUD OF IT !!!

JE MAINTIENDRAI (MOTTO OF WILLIAM I THE SILENT, PRINCE OF ORANGE, 1533 - 1584, MOTTO OF THE NETHERLANDS)

DEO JUVANTE (MOTTO OF THE PRINCIPALITY OF MONACO)

PROUD TO BE BELGIAN !!! I LOVE MY KINGDOM !!!

Offline Granny B

• Administrator
  • Fanatic
  • I'd like to help U out. Which way did U come in?
Texas mom sentenced to 45 years for killing son, 6
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 11:58:04 AM »
Texas mom sentenced to 45 years for killing son, 6

LYNNE TUOHY    Comment on this article 0
Published: January 13, 2012

BRENTWOOD, N.H. (AP) — A Texas woman was sentenced Friday to 45 years in prison for suffocating her 6-year-old son in a New Hampshire motel room and leaving his body along a dirt road in Maine.

FILE - In this Thursday May 19, 2011 file photo Julianne McCrery, 42, of Irving, Texas, arrives in District Court in Portsmouth, N.H. McCrery was charged with killing her six-year-old son. McCrery a Texas woman who suffocated her 6-year-old son in a New Hampshire motel room and left his body by a road in Maine may shed light on her motives before being sentenced to 45 years in prison. (AP Photo/Jim Cole)

Julianne McCrery looks back at her family as she speaks during her sentencing hearing in Rockingham County Superior Court, Friday, Jan. 13, 2012 in Brentwood, N.H. McCrery , of Irving, Texas, was sentenced to 45 years in prison for suffocating her 6-year-old son in a New Hampshire Hotel room and leaving his body along a dirt road in Maine. (AP Photo/Jim Cole)

Lu Rae McCrery wipes tears from her eyes during a sentencing hearing for her daughter Julianne McCrery, in Rockingham County Superior Court, Friday, Jan. 13, 2012 in Brentwood, N.H. McCrery , of Irving, Texas, was sentenced to 45 years in prison for suffocating her 6-year-old son in a New Hampshire Hotel room and leaving his body along a dirt road in Maine. (AP Photo/Jim Cole)

Julianne McCrery's mother Lu Rae McCrery , left, and Julianne's son Ian McCrery talk to reporters following a sentencing hearing in Rockingham County Superior Court, Friday, Jan. 13, 2012 in Brentwood, N.H. McCrery , of Irving, Texas, was sentenced to 45 years in prison for suffocating her 6-year-old son in a New Hampshire Hotel room and leaving his body along a dirt road in Maine. (AP Photo/Jim Cole)

FILE This computer generated image released by the Maine State Police of Camden Hughes, Sunday, May 15, 2011, who was found dead along a remote road in South Berwick, Maine, Saturday afternoon, May 14, 2011. The boys mother, Julianne McCrery, of Irving Texas was sentenced Friday Jan 13, 2012 to 45-years in prison for killing her son. (AP Photo/Maine State Police)

The discovery of Camden Hughes' body last May set off a nationwide effort to identify him. Meanwhile, his mother, Julianne McCrery, called his kindergarten daily to report him absent with appendicitis.

McCrery, 42, of Irving, Texas, later told prosecutors she had planned to kill herself and that she killed Camden because no one else was fit to raise him. But prosecutors say they have evidence McCrery felt the boy was an inconvenience and that she planned to go about her own life after killing him.

Senior Assistant Attorney General Susan Morrell questioned McCrery's assertion that she planned to kill herself by ingesting potentially lethal castor beans. Morrell pointed out that McCrery had attempted suicide several years earlier by the same means and had failed.

"This case raises more questions than there are answers for," Morrell said.

McCrery spoke tearfully at her sentencing hearing, calling her son "extraordinary."

"I am very sorry to have caused the intense pain and suffering to my precious son Camden," she said. "He did nothing whatsoever to deserve that by my hand, and he was not an inconvenience to me.

"My sorrow is intense and unbearable."

Defense attorney Julia Nye said an insanity defense was considered, but McCrery rejected that option.

"She chose to accept responsibility for her actions," Nye said.

McCrery pleaded guilty in November to kneeling atop her son as he laid face-down on the floor of their motel room floor in Hampton, N.H. She told investigators she covered his mouth with her hand as he struggled to survive. Morrell said the pressure McCrery applied to Camden was so great it bruised one lung and the base of his skull.

McCrery's son and brother both told her during remarks to the court that they love and forgive her. Her brother, Chris Hughes, asked Superior Court Judge Tina Nadeau to shorten the sentence a bit so her other son, Ian McCrery, "might possibly have some time with her."

Nadeau held to the agreed upon 45-year sentence, adding, "There's nothing I can say here today to lessen the devastation."

Julianne McCrery thanked a family from South Berwick, Maine, for discovering Camden's body and later starting a children's charity in his memory. She called them "angels on earth" for trying to bring some comfort to her son.

Lisa Gove was en route to her in-laws' house on a remote road on May 14 when she noticed a pickup truck with its doors open, bearing a Navy insignia. She and her in-laws soon discovered his body, which was under a green blanket 30 feet from the road.

Gove's detailed description of the truck and the Navy insignia led a driver at a Chelmsford, Mass., truck stop to spot McCrery's truck on May 18 with her inside.

When she was questioned, McCrery identified herself and told police she had killed her son at a Hampton motel and left his body under a green blanket by the side of the road.

"Life as I knew it ended May 18, 2011," her mother, Lu Rae McCrery, told the judge Friday. "Camden's life, I believe, was taken in a misguided moment. We will never be whole again."

Lu Rae McCrery said after court that she had at least one phone conversation with her daughter but had no idea she had left Texas with Camden and had driven to New England.

Without Gove's chance observation, Morrell said, "it was highly unlikely he would have been found."

Julianne McCrery said it has taken a while for her grief to fully unfold, but now it is "excruciating."

Texas public records show that she was arrested at least twice on prostitution charges and once for possession with intent to distribute drugs. In 2009, she was sentenced to one year in prison for a misdemeanor conviction of prostitution. In 2004, she was sentenced to three years of probation for a felony conviction of possession of a controlled substance.

Morrell acknowledged that McCrery did not have an easy life but said investigators could not determine what led her to consider suicide. McCrery spent the drive from Texas to New England contemplating how she would kill her son, the prosecutor said.

She said McCrery extinguished a bright star "before he even had the chance to graduate from kindergarten."

Read more: http://newsok.com/texas-mom-sentenced-to-45-years-for-killing-son-6/article/feed/335466#ixzz1jMzgmi57
" Closure? Closure is a misused word in the English language.  There is no such thing as closure for the family of a murder victim.  There will never be any closure for the death of our loved ones until we are dead ourselves.  The families have a lifetime sentence of anguish and sadness." 
Susan Levy

Offline JTiscool

• Fanatic
Re: Police are working towards indentifying boy found dead in Maine
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 12:05:42 PM »
Thanks guys for helping me out with this thread. I forgot about this case and haven't been able to update it much  :-*