VA: Ricky Jovan Gray - 3/16/2016 - Stayed

Started by Grinning Grim Reaper, May 13, 2011, 02:23:54 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Grinning Grim Reaper

Ricky Gray's execution set; likely to be postponed
Posted: May 12, 2011 2:36 PM CDT
Updated: May 12, 2011 2:43 PM CDT

RICHMOND, VA (AP) - A June execution date has been set for a man who killed a Richmond family, but it likely will be postponed so the inmate can appeal to the federal courts.

A June 16 execution was set Thursday for 34-year-old Ricky Jovan Gray. Gray has exhausted his state appeals, but inmates also are guaranteed federal appeals.

Gray's attorney, Jon Sheldon, told the Richmond Times-Dispatch he intends to file an appeal in federal court.

Gray was sentenced to death for killing 9-year-old Stella Harvey and her 4-year-old sister, Ruby on Jan. 1, 2006. Gray also killed the girls' parents, Bryan and Kathryn Harvey.

Their deaths were part of a violent rampage by Gray and his nephew Ray Dandridge in which at least eight people were killed. Dandridge is serving life in prison.

www.nbc12.com/story/14635123/copy-va-execution-set-but-likely-will-b... - Similar

There is no sense in even posting this animal as a scheduled execution...maybe in another five years or so. >:( >:( >:(
Vengence is mine saith the Lord...who are we to question the instruments used to carry it out?

john

It's unususal for Virginia to schedule an execution before they have exhausted all their appeals.  Maybe they want to get rid of this POS extra quick.

JeffB

Reaction to Ricky Gray's scheduled execution date

By Tara Morgan 

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - It was a killing rampage that devastated our community five years ago. People close to the Harvey family murders are reacting to news that the execution date has been set for one of the killers, Ricky Gray. He's set to die June 16th.

In Richmond's Woodland Heights neighborhood, people don't talk much about the murders. Those who did speak with me are still angered and want the state to follow through with Gray's death sentence.

Steve Tarrant doesn't mince words when talking about condemned killer Ricky Gray.

"I want the b**** executed. I wanted the other guy executed also, but that wasn't the sentence," said Tarrant.

Tarrant lives across from the home on West 31st Street where Bryan and Kathryn Harvey lived and died with their two little girls, Ruby and Stella.

Memories of the brutality that happened there are just as fresh as on that warm New Year's Day in 2006.

"I saw the bodies carried out," said Tarrant.

Nearly a week later on East Broad Rock Boulevard, the killing spree continued with the murders of Percyell Tucker, his wife Mary and their daughter, Ashley Baskerville, who was an accomplice in the Harveys' murder.

Gray is on death row. His accomplice, Ray Dandridge, is serving a life sentence. Gray's June execution date could be stayed, if his lawyer files an appeal in federal court.

"Stay of execution oh yeah, but I think eventually he'll be executed. I hope he will be," said Tarrant.

About a year after the Harvey murders, a family moved into the home. People new to the area tell me the neighborhood is protective.

"Our neighborhood is way more vigilant," said Erick Krigsvold.

People here have moved on, but will never forget.

"It's something you drive by the house, you remember," said one man who wanted to remain anonymous.

"I see friends and neighbors, (you don't see the darkness) No, there are no ghosts. There our neighbors have laid those to rest," said Tarrant.

Gray's attorney reportedly intends to file an appeal in federal court. No word on how long the appeals process will take.

Copyright 2011 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.

"SO SUCK IT YOU "BLUE COOLER" DOPE!"  -  Sylar24

Allencraft

Wow after reading more about this POS I feel sick to my stomach that he is still alive. Screw the rest of the appeals. He confessed! Get it over with already and let the victims finally rest in peace.

~ Brenda ~

time2prtee

This one really needs to go down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Richmond_spree_murders

They did a show on these crimes on the Investigative Discovery Channel
Wicked Attraction "The Madness of Two"

Sadly I think he will get a stay  >:( >:( >:(
"Indeed, the decision that capital punishment may be the appropriate sanction in extreme cases is an expression of the community's belief that certain crimes are themselves so grievous an affront to humanity that the only adequate response may be the penalty of death."  SCOTUS

Peace and Comfort to all Victims and Families

Grinning Grim Reaper

Ricky Gray's lawyer files for stay of execution
By Phil Riggan

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - Lawyers for convicted murderer Ricky Gray filed today for a stay of execution.

Gray was convicted in the 2006 deaths of Bryan Harvey, his wife Kathryn, and their two daughters.

He was scheduled to be executed this Thursday for the girls' murders.

www.wtoc.com/Global/story.asp?S=14899067 - Similar

Vengence is mine saith the Lord...who are we to question the instruments used to carry it out?

Allencraft

Ricky Gray's lawyer files for stay of execution
By Phil Riggan

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - Lawyers for convicted murderer Ricky Gray filed today for a stay of execution.

Gray was convicted in the 2006 deaths of Bryan Harvey, his wife Kathryn, and their two daughters.

He was scheduled to be executed this Thursday for the girls' murders.

www.wtoc.com/Global/story.asp?S=14899067 - Similar

Media REALLY needs to get their grammer right. "He IS scheduled to be executed this Thursday for the girls' murders." NOT "He was scheduled..."

Sheesh! And this POS REALLY needs to be put down this week!

God Bless and grant the Harvey family peace.

~ Brenda ~

ggbop

I have been trolling google for any updates on this POS, but there isn't anything.  If they are going to give him a stay, then it will need to happen quite soon.

One thing I did find out while doing my troll thing.....Kathryn Harvey is a half-sister to the actor Stephen Culp.  I wonder if he is in the Susan Sarandon ANTI camp or the John Malkovich PRO camp.  He hasn't done much lately so it will probably depend on who could get him the most work.

God....I can't stand the Hollywood 'holier than thou' loony actors who think that because they have a memory and can recite some lines with feeling, they have the right to tell me how to think and what to feel.  They are worse than the scumpals IMHO.
Genesis 9:6
"Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed; for in the image of God has God made man. "

AnneTheBelgian

We have his face LOL ;)

Come on Virginia, give us some news  :-X ???

Anne
"DEATH PENALTY OPPONENTS WHO TWIST THE TRUTH TO PROTECT KILLERS ARE ALSO TORTURING VICTIMS FAMILIES" (PETER BRONSON, CINCINNATI ENQUIRER,FEBRUARY 3, 2003)

PRO DEATH PENALTY AND PROUD OF IT !!!

JE MAINTIENDRAI (MOTTO OF WILLIAM I THE SILENT, PRINCE OF ORANGE, 1533 - 1584, MOTTO OF THE NETHERLANDS)

DEO JUVANTE (MOTTO OF THE PRINCIPALITY OF MONACO)

PROUD TO BE BELGIAN !!! I LOVE MY KINGDOM !!!

AnneTheBelgian

June 16, 2011, 12:49:07 PM Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 12:57:53 PM by AnneTheBelgian
http://www.nbc12.com/story/14914702/ricky-gray-execution-delayed-for-appeal

Ricky Gray execution delayed for appeal

Posted: Jun 15, 2011 11:06 PM

Updated: Jun 15, 2011 11:07 PM

Posted by Phil Riggan

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - A stay of execution has been granted for convicted murderer Ricky Javon Gray.

Gray was given two death sentences and three life terms in the deaths Bryan and Kathryn Harvey and their two daughters, Ruby and Stella.

The family was killed in their Woodland Heights home on New Years Day 2006.

Gray was scheduled to be executed tomorrow for the girls' murders.  The stay is for a period of 90 days.

Copyright 2011 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.

Anne
"DEATH PENALTY OPPONENTS WHO TWIST THE TRUTH TO PROTECT KILLERS ARE ALSO TORTURING VICTIMS FAMILIES" (PETER BRONSON, CINCINNATI ENQUIRER,FEBRUARY 3, 2003)

PRO DEATH PENALTY AND PROUD OF IT !!!

JE MAINTIENDRAI (MOTTO OF WILLIAM I THE SILENT, PRINCE OF ORANGE, 1533 - 1584, MOTTO OF THE NETHERLANDS)

DEO JUVANTE (MOTTO OF THE PRINCIPALITY OF MONACO)

PROUD TO BE BELGIAN !!! I LOVE MY KINGDOM !!!

JTiscool

Oh well. He'll be executed.......................................eventually.
My reason for supporting the death penalty? A murderer has less of a right to live than his victim and already presents a danger while incarcerated for life. They have nothing to lose when the most they can get is Life in prison without parole.

Freedom

I saw he was sentenced to death twice. Was he also stayed twice?  Stupid question, I know, but sentencing this bag of poop to death twice makes as much sense as staying him only once. He confessed, so there's no need for any appeals anymore. Get it over with already!

baxter04

Thanks for the update.  For some reason I started thinking of this case earlier, then went googling around and read today was supposed to be his execution date - what a coincidence.. but then googled more and found this site -- which I've posted on previously.. Thank you for posting the update... 

It boggles my mind that he got a stay.. The guy confessed.   What a complete waste of money..

Grinning Grim Reaper

Ricky Gray's execution set for March 16

Posted: Jan 19, 2016 12:28 PM CST

By Ray Daudani

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - Richmond Circuit Court has set the execution of convicted murderer Ricky Gray for March 16.

Also Tuesday, the US Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals denied Gray's motion to halt proceedings. Gray could still appeal the case to the Supreme Court or have the governor intervene.

Gray was sentenced to death in connection with the 2006 New Year's Day quadruple murders of the Harvey family in Richmond. In December, he petitioned to have his death penalty case reviewed by all 15 federal appeals court judges in Richmond. He remains housed on death row at Sussex I State Prison.

Virginia does not currently have all the drugs needed for a lethal injection, according to the Department of Corrections. The department says it does not have the first drug needed, which can be Midazolam or Pentobarbital or Thiopental Sodium. Gray does have the option to select electrocution instead.

He is set to be executed at Greensville Correctional Center. At least six citizens who are not Department of Correction employees must be present during an execution, with the method of death chosen by the inmate.

Alfredo R. Prieto was the last inmate put to death in Virginia, on Oct. 1, 2015.

Gray's death sentence was specifically for the murders of Stella and Ruby Harvey, daughters of Bryan and Kathryn Harvey, who were also killed with the help of Ray Dandridge. A week later, Percyell Tucker, his wife Mary and their daughter, Ashley Baskerville - who was an accomplice in the Harveys' murder - were also killed.

Dandridge is serving a life sentence.

www.wafb.com

Check out the first post in this thread...time to but a lottery ticket.   8)

Grinning Grim Reaper

Ricky Gray's execution put on hold until Supreme Court weighs in

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - Convicted murderer Ricky Gray's execution is now on hold so the Supreme Court can weigh in on his case.

An order filed in the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals on Friday put the March 16 execution on hold until the Supreme Court could decide whether to intervene.

Gray was sentenced to death in connection with the 2006 New Year's Day quadruple murders of the Harvey family in Richmond. In December, he petitioned to have his death penalty case reviewed by all 15 federal appeals court judges in Richmond. He remains housed on death row at Sussex I State Prison.

Along with the legal maneuvering are concerns Virginia does not currently have all the drugs needed for a lethal injection. The Department of Corrections says it does not have the first drug needed, which can be Midazolam or Pentobarbital or Thiopental Sodium. Gray does have the option to select electrocution instead.

He was set to be executed at Greensville Correctional Center. At least six citizens who are not Department of Correction employees must be present during an execution, with the method of death chosen by the inmate.

Alfredo R. Prieto was the last inmate put to death in Virginia, on Oct. 1, 2015.

During that time, state officials had to acquire the lethal injection drugs from Texas. Jason Clark, the Director of Public Information with the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, stated there are no plans to provide lethal injection drugs to Virginia.

Clark pointed out that in 2013 the Virginia Department of Corrections gave his agency pentobarbital to use as a backup drug in an execution. His agency was approached in 2015 by Virginia officials and the Texas Department of Criminal Justice reciprocated, giving them three vials of pentobarbital.

According to the most recent reports from the Bureau of Justice Statistics, a death row inmate waits an average of 137 months between sentencing and execution. Since 1977, Virginia has had 110 executions. 79 of those were done by lethal injection, 31 by electrocution. Under state law, the inmate must request electrocution, and can do so up until 15 days before the execution date.

Gray's death sentence was specifically for the murders of Stella and Ruby Harvey, daughters of Bryan and Kathryn Harvey, who were also killed with the help of Ray Dandridge. A week later, Percyell Tucker, his wife Mary and their daughter, Ashley Baskerville, who was an accomplice in the Harveys' murder, were also killed.

Dandridge is serving a life sentence.

www.nbc12.com

Go Up