Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on Twitter

Author Topic: Joseph D. Murphy - OH - 10/18/11  (Read 12429 times)

Offline JeffcoCitizen

• Fanatic
Re: Joseph D. Murphy - OH - 10/18/11
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 09:08:53 PM »
Well in the appeal I posted earlier they rejected his claim of being mentally retarded.

So, we don't have to worry about that claim anymore, but I'm sure his creative lawyers will come up with something soon.  ::)

Offline Russki

• Fanatic
  • Российская Федерация
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 09:22:45 AM »
I feel that the entire methodology of determining low IQ is flawed. In France, we take more interest in how adaptive the inmate was prior to arrest. Had he/she passed a driving test? etc etc.
Frenchy
Bombs do not choose. They will hit everything   ... Nikita Khrushchev

I once said, "We will bury you," and I got into trouble with it. Of course we will not bury you with a shovel. Your own working class will bury you.  ... Nikita Khrushchev

Offline Grinning Grim Reaper

• Fanatic
  • Genghis Khan was a Liberal
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 10:08:41 AM »
Being STUPID has nothing to do with being mentally retarded.  Most if not all murderers are just plain STUPID...or they wouldn't be on death row.  Just because you are STUPID doesn't mean you don't know right from wrong.  Such is not the case with the mentally handicapped, those suffering from Alzheimer's...etc.  Unless you are really STUPID you should be able to fake a low IQ score!
Vengence is mine saith the Lord...who are we to question the instruments used to carry it out?

Offline Russki

• Fanatic
  • Российская Федерация
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 10:28:08 AM »
"Being STUPID has nothing to do with being mentally retarded"

And you can take that statement to the bank

My neurologist daughter has an IQ well over 160 but candidly, she is one of the most stupid women I know! 8)
Frenchy
Bombs do not choose. They will hit everything   ... Nikita Khrushchev

I once said, "We will bury you," and I got into trouble with it. Of course we will not bury you with a shovel. Your own working class will bury you.  ... Nikita Khrushchev

Offline phlebbb

• Fanatic
  • T.A.N.S.T.A.A.F.L.
    • MSN Messenger - phlebbb2000@msn.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - phlebbb2000@yahoo.com
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 11:10:16 AM »
To Quote Ron White, "You just can't cure stupid". :o :o :o 8) 8) 8) 8)
You miss 100% of the shots that you DO NOT  take.........

• Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 11:24:01 AM »
Amen...but fortunately we can execute it!
Vengence is mine saith the Lord...who are we to question the instruments used to carry it out?

Offline JeffcoCitizen

• Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 01:15:19 PM »
This always reminds me of the Mark Becker trial.  The guy tried to plead insanity for gunning down a coach.
The Prosecutor said, “But the evidence will be in this case — if I say it once, I’ll say it 1,000 times — mental illness does not equal insanity.”

http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/84223982.html

________

We know that they try everything to not be accountable for what they have done.
We know that the defense will make up any creative excuse they can for their client.

Offline Granny B

• Administrator
  • Fanatic
  • I'd like to help U out. Which way did U come in?
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2011, 01:57:50 PM »
"Being STUPID has nothing to do with being mentally retarded"

And you can take that statement to the bank

My neurologist daughter has an IQ well over 160 but candidly, she is one of the most stupid women I know! 8)
Frenchy

What's the saying?  A genius is only hair's breadth away from being an idiot.

Look at the idiot savants!  Many of them are math geniuses, but can't tie their own shoes.  Piano and music savants, some can barely feed themselves.  Then there are savants with other 1 note talents.

;D ;D  Look at it this way, maybe your daughter is a medical savant. ;) ;D ;D ;D

A lot of people with a high IQ have trouble relating to the rest of us so called "normal" people, whatever normal is.

However Murphy is not a savant, not mentally challenged, and not getting out of prison on the "i is plum dum" excuse.
" Closure? Closure is a misused word in the English language.  There is no such thing as closure for the family of a murder victim.  There will never be any closure for the death of our loved ones until we are dead ourselves.  The families have a lifetime sentence of anguish and sadness." 
Susan Levy

Offline AnneTheBelgian

• Fanatic
  • PRO DEATH PENALTY, BELGIAN, CHRISTIAN, ROYALIST
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 12:54:37 PM »
http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Condemned-Ohio-killer-seeks-execution-delay-2163026.php

Friday, September 09, 2011

Condemned Ohio killer seeks execution delay

Updated 02:40 p.m., Friday, September 9, 2011

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Another condemned Ohio inmate is seeking to have his execution delayed, citing a judge's criticism of the state's death penalty process that has already postponed three executions.

Joseph Murphy is scheduled to die Oct. 18 for killing 72-year-old Ruth Predmore in her Marion home in 1987.

The 46-year-old Murphy in a court filing Thursday made the same arguments that led a federal judge in June to criticize Ohio's capital punishment procedures as haphazard.

That decision by U.S. District Judge Gregory Frost delayed one execution, and Gov. John Kasich has since postponed two others.

The Ohio prisons department has announced a new execution policy that it says should address Frost's concerns, but the judge hasn't ruled on the updated procedures.

Another condemned Ohio inmate is seeking to have his execution delayed, citing a judge's criticism of the state's death penalty process that has already postponed three executions.

=> Yeeeeaaaahhhh man... 8) Your "analysis" is so interesting... 8) I say "BRAVO CLAP CLAP"... 8) Poor bastard >:( I hope that you will receive your anti-crime vaccine this October 08, 2011 :(

Anne
"DEATH PENALTY OPPONENTS WHO TWIST THE TRUTH TO PROTECT KILLERS ARE ALSO TORTURING VICTIMS FAMILIES" (PETER BRONSON, CINCINNATI ENQUIRER,FEBRUARY 3, 2003)

PRO DEATH PENALTY AND PROUD OF IT !!!

JE MAINTIENDRAI (MOTTO OF WILLIAM I THE SILENT, PRINCE OF ORANGE, 1533 - 1584, MOTTO OF THE NETHERLANDS)

DEO JUVANTE (MOTTO OF THE PRINCIPALITY OF MONACO)

PROUD TO BE BELGIAN !!! I LOVE MY KINGDOM !!!

• Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2011, 12:31:56 PM »
Convicted Murderer Joseph Murphy Begs for Clemency

By Tara Dodrill

Joseph Murphy sits on death row awaiting word from his public defender. If the clemency board hearing does not go in his favor, he will be the first man from Marion County, Ohio, to receive the death penalty since the practice resumed in 1999. The applause Republican presidential candidate Rick Perry received when the Texas death penalty statistics were read during a recent debate highlight strong support the ultimate punishment has among society.

The court-appointed attorney paints a tragic picture of Joseph Murphy's childhood. But the sweet elderly woman who paid him to mow her lawn died just as tragically as Murphy lived. Ruth Predmore was 72 in 1987 when Murphy cut a 5-inch hole in her throat, leaving her gasping for air and spewing blood as the collapsed on her kitchen floor. Predmore was an avid church goer and gave the little extra she had to a variety of local charities. She often gave Murphy a homemade sandwich and cold beverage when he finished his lawn moving duties.

Murphy's public defenders, Kathryn Sanford and Pamela Prude-Smithers, say Murphy should be spared execution due to his mental capacity and childhood abuse. According to the attorneys, Murphy was an impoverished youth from West Virginia who suffered sexual abuse from the age of 6. Allegedly Murphy's father traded sexual favors with young boy in return for jugs of moonshine whiskey.

Unfortunately, Ohio has hundreds of sexual, physical and mental abuse cases involving children each year, but not even a majority of the victims turn into killers. The public defenders choose to term Murphy's economic existence as "dirt poor" to evoke sympathy. Far too many children in the Appalachian region of Ohio could share the same label, but few of them grow up to murder old ladies. Vinton County is the most impoverished are of Ohio, yet we have a zero murder rate on a nearly annual basis.

The mental health and capacity of Murphy could be a legitimate legal point to explore during the clemency hearing. If a horrific childhood negates personal responsibility for maximum sentencing in felony cases, a lot of correctional guards may soon be looking for a new career. Without making light of the alleged atrocities committed against Murphy, they simply do not excuse violent actions against one of the few people who offered the man a kindness.

An execution of a central Ohio defendant has not occurred since the 2004, a point which the public defenders will likely when attempting to convince the clemency board to spare Murphy's life. Ohio Attorney Mike DeWine and Marion County Prosecuting Attorney Brent Yager believe Murphy committed premeditated murder while robbing a defenseless senior citizen in her own home. The convicted killer does not deny brutally attacking and killing Predmore.

news.yahoo.com/convicted-murderer-joseph-murphy-begs-clemency-1...

Offline Granny B

• Administrator
  • Fanatic
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2011, 01:04:59 PM »

Great article!  And she is not even writing it as an anti.  Hallelujah! :)
" Closure? Closure is a misused word in the English language.  There is no such thing as closure for the family of a murder victim.  There will never be any closure for the death of our loved ones until we are dead ourselves.  The families have a lifetime sentence of anguish and sadness." 
Susan Levy

• Fanatic
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2011, 07:51:23 AM »
Board to consider clemency for Murphy

4:58 PM, Sep. 15, 2011

COLUMBUS - The Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Corrrection Parole Board held a clemency hearing on Thursday for death row inmate Joey Murphy.

Murphy faces execution on Oct 18 for the feb. 1, 1987 murder of Marion resident Ruth Predmore, 72, who lived a few blocks down the street from him.

Representatives speaking on behalf of Murphy spoke of mitigating factors including sexual abuse, extreme poverty and a lack of family support. They also spoke of his low IQ level of 72 and said his legal counsel was ineffective during the 1987 trial.

Prosecuting representatives argued the original jury had heard about the mitigating factors. Marion county prosecutor Brent Yager told the parole board that Murphy's attack was "cold and calculated."

The parole board will later inform Gov. John Kasich of its recommendation.

www.topix.com/city/marion-oh

So now it's poor lil Joey Murphy  >:( >:( >:(

Offline Granny B

• Administrator
  • Fanatic
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2011, 08:12:29 AM »

"They also spoke of his low IQ level of 72"

IQ Classifications in Educational Use
Wechsler, David. Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale-Third edition
Psychological Corporation, 1997

Classification     IQ Score                   Percent Included
                                                        Theoretical     Actual
                                                                Normal             Sample
                                                                Curve

Very Superior                  130 and above    2.2                     2.1
Superior                          120-129            6.7                     8.3
High Average*                  110-119            16.1                    16.1
Average                            90-109            50.0                    50.3
Low Average*                    80-89            16.1                      14.8
Borderline                         70-79               6.7                    6.5
Extremely Low*  **            69 and below      2.2                     1.9

*The terms High Average, Low Average and Extremely Low correspond to the terms Bright Normal, Dull Normal and Mental Defective, respectively, used in the 1955 WAIS manual.

**The term Extremely Low is used in place of the terms Mentally Retarded, used in the WAIS-R, and Intellectually Deficient, used in the WISC-III to avoid the implication that a very low IQ score is sufficient evidence by itself for the classification of "mental retardation" or "intellectually deficient."

He scores 72 in the Borderline area.  He is not  mentally deficient.  I know many people who score in this area, who are functional, hold down a job, have a family life and who never murder other people.  Some of them even had a bad home life as a child.

No excuses.  The scumyers just want to raise the bar of mental defective to keep more murderers off death row.
Susan Levy

• Fanatic
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2011, 08:26:54 AM »
Once again...STUPID does not mean mentally retarded.  STUPID means STUPID and that's what these murderers are!

Offline AnneTheBelgian

• Fanatic
  • PRO DEATH PENALTY, BELGIAN, CHRISTIAN, ROYALIST
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2011, 01:13:12 PM »
http://www.marionstar.com/article/20110916/NEWS01/109160301/Parole-board-hears-clemency-plea

Parole board hears clemency plea

Joey Murphy on death row for killing Marion's Ruth Predmore

Sep 16, 2011

Written by Kurt Moore

The Marion Star

COLUMBUS - Representatives for death row inmate Joey Murphy asked the Ohio Parole Board to consider mitigating factors during a Thursday clemency hearing.

Murphy is scheduled to be executed Oct. 18 for the murder of Ruth Predmore, 72. He was found guilty of killing Predmore on Feb. 1, 1987, by slicing her throat with a 5-inch knife.

No one disagrees that Murphy committed the crime, but representatives for the defendant urged the parole board to take circumstances such as a troubled childhood into consideration when reporting its recommendation to Gov. John Kasich.

"I can't conceive of a more tragic background than that of Joseph Murphy," said former Ohio Supreme Court Justice Herbert Brown, one of three justices who filed a dissenting opinion against the death penalty when the case came before the court.

"This is someone who has never had a break in his life," Brown said. "The State of Ohio should not be executing someone so disadvantaged."

Pam Prude-Smithers, an attorney with the Ohio Public Defender's Office, and investigators for the defense alleged Murphy was sexually abused as a child. According to one account, his father let someone have sex with him in exchange for a bottle of moonshine.

They also talked about how he grew up in poverty, first in West Virginia then in Marion, and was cast as the family's scapegoat.

"Joey's life was so far out of bounds of what we consider normal that it's shocking," Prude-Smithers said.

Cynthia Hodges, Murphy's aunt, said Murphy's mother often would make him wait to be fed, sometimes not feeding him if there wasn't enough food to go around.

Rick Ruffin, a defense investigator, told the parole board he was inexperienced when he helped with Murphy's case, and said he failed to get the information needed to convince the jury of the mitigating factors.

"The family was not willing to give up secrets," he said. "In their mind he was not worth saving."

Ruffin said he believes if he had been more experienced, he might have convinced the family to talk about rumors such as sexual abuse. He also said he would have sought the help of a sexual abuse expert.

Defense attorney Robert Wilson, one of two attorneys representing Murphy in the original case, argued that he gave incompetent representation to Murphy. He said while he had worked with death penalty cases before, the rules had changed and he didn't feel as though he was qualified enough to help under the new rules. He said a month after the trial new standards came out for representing death row inmates, and that he would not have met those standards.

Wilson said he talked to a juror afterward who told him "Joey was so bad that we as jurors felt the only way to make sure he never got out of prison was to sentence him to death."

"The jury missed the issue because I missed the issue," Wilson said. "I failed to convey what mitigation was about. I didn't give them the tools to make that decision. ... We painted him bad ... but we never told why."

Wilson said when the jury heard the original case, life without parole was not one of its options.

Medical report

Neuropsychologist Dr. Michael Gelbort, who submitted a video testimony, and psychologist Dr. Robert Stinson told the parole board about Murphy's low IQ score of 74, and how he was mildly mentally handicapped. They said he hadn't gotten through elementary school and could read only at a second-grade level.

"His brain is broken," said Gelbort, who said Murphy had trouble telling right from wrong. "He's got an 80 percent brain."

He suggested Murphy shouldn't be given a "100 percent punishment" such as execution, and joined others in suggesting life without parole.

Stinson said Murphy had been exceptionally needy ever since he was a baby, and was the son of an alcoholic father and lacked family support.

He said Murphy had once been left in a burning house, and told the parole board that a brother had once "put a knife in Joey's head because he thought it was funny."

"This is extreme abuse by any standards," he said.

Stinson referred to signs of sex abuse such as Murphy hanging a dog, cutting chickens' heads off to watch them run around and abusing other animals. He said setting fires is also a sign of abuse.

Peg Predmore-Kavanaugh, a great-niece of the victim, offered a video testimony. She did not agree that Murphy should be put to death, and suggested instead life without parole.

Representatives for the state said she had previously supported Murphy's death sentence.

'A just decision'

Marion County Prosecutor Brent Yager and Brenda Leikala, representing the Ohio Attorney General's Office, said the original jury had heard about the mitigating factors.

"That jury made a very difficult decision," said Yager, who was assistant prosecutor during the original trial in 1987. "It was a just decision."

Yager said Murphy had confessed to the crime and demonstrated how he had killed Predmore.

"It's like he was describing buttering his toast for breakfast," Yager said, going on to say how Murphy described wiping the blood from his eyes before he looked for money.

He said Murphy does not fit the legal definition for mental retardation, and told the parole board that the crime was "cold and calculated."

"I'm a prosecutor so I deal with facts," Yager said. "There is one fact that's sometimes lost. Miss Predmore's life was snuffed out by a violent and senseless act."

Leikala spoke about Murphy setting his elementary school on fire as a child and his abuse of animals, describing them as signs that he was a sociopath. She said Murphy had set relatives' homes on fire, suggesting he set the fires to distract them so he would not get in trouble for other things he had done.

"That's manipulation," she said. "He does what he wants to get what he wants."

Leikala said that, by hiding the evidence of his crime, Murphy showed he knew the difference between right and wrong.

"If he doesn't understand it's wrong, why hide it," she said. "Why? Because he does know."

She and Yager said three justices dissented, but a majority of the Ohio Supreme Court justices upheld the death penalty.

The parole board will make its recommendation to Kasich on Sept. 23.

Anne
"DEATH PENALTY OPPONENTS WHO TWIST THE TRUTH TO PROTECT KILLERS ARE ALSO TORTURING VICTIMS FAMILIES" (PETER BRONSON, CINCINNATI ENQUIRER,FEBRUARY 3, 2003)

PRO DEATH PENALTY AND PROUD OF IT !!!

JE MAINTIENDRAI (MOTTO OF WILLIAM I THE SILENT, PRINCE OF ORANGE, 1533 - 1584, MOTTO OF THE NETHERLANDS)

DEO JUVANTE (MOTTO OF THE PRINCIPALITY OF MONACO)

PROUD TO BE BELGIAN !!! I LOVE MY KINGDOM !!!