Lisa Montgomery Sentenced to Death for Cutting Baby from Womb in Fed DP Trial

Started by Jeff1857, October 24, 2007, 02:06:27 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Sibby

This woman wanted a baby and decided the fastest way was to cut it out of the mother's womb.

Actually, the baby was secondary to covering up the lie she perpetrated for months that she was pregnant.  Lisa was a habitual liar that used a lie to get attention when the truth would not do.  Her lie was about to blow up in her face this time because her ex was going to expose her "pregnancy" as fake, and use that to gain custody of their children.  Lisa was going to do anything to keep her ex from exposing her lies.  She didn't really want a baby in the sense to be a mother again, but to keep her house of lies from tumbling down.

tramoore

What was it about the murder of Bobbie Jo Stinnett that caused the jury in Lisa Montgomery's trial to vote to give her the death penalty? Why did they ignore her claim of insanity? Newly released court documents may explain some of the jurors' thinking.

First of all, Montgomery changed her story several times while talking with investigators. Initially, she outright denied having committed the crime. Then she tried to blame it on her brother Tommy, who was easily cleared of the accusation. Then finally, she blamed it on her own insanity.

Carefully Planned

But the fact that may have swayed the jury most was the cold, calculated way that Montgomery carefully planned to kill Stinnett and steal her unborn child. According to court papers:

* Although Montgomery already knew Stinnett through their mutual dog-breeding interests and a related Web site, Montgomery signed on the Web site with a different username in order to make an appointment with Stinnett about buying a dog.

* The day before the murder, Montgomery drove her car from her Malvern, Kansas, home to Stinnett's home in Skidmore, Missouri, in what police said was a practice run.

* Montgomery ordered a birthing kit online and studied how to perform a Caesarean section.

* And after being arrested for the crime, Montgomery was recorded in a telephone call with her husband saying that she was "messing with" the psychiatrists by saying she heard voices.

'I Am a Monster'

Apparently, the jury decided that the careful planning Montgomery did to carry out the murder of Stinnett and the theft of her unborn baby, who survived the attack, was not the act of an insane person, but that of a monster. In the end, Montgomery apparently agreed with them.

While questioning Montgomery about the events leading up to Stinnett's murder, Maryville Police Sgt. Randy Strong said "Well Lisa, you need to tell us the whole story. I mean, you don't want to be known as a monster, do you?"

Montgomery replied, "Well, I am a monster."

Jeff1857

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Attorneys for a woman facing the death penalty for killing a pregnant woman and cutting the baby from her womb have filed what promises to be the first of many appeals.

The defense is seeking the acquittal of 39-year-old Lisa Montgomery, a new trial or a new penalty phase.

In October, federal jurors rejected defense claims of mental illness and convicted Montgomery of kidnapping resulting in death in the Dec. 16, 2004, killing of Bobbie Jo Stinnett, 23, of Skidmore. Montgomery showed Stinnett's baby off as her own before she was arrested the next day at her Melvern, Kan., farmhouse.

Jurors decided the crime warranted the death penalty, which U.S. District Judge Gary A. Fenner said he would be obliged to impose when she is formally sentenced. No date has been set.

In the defense motion, filed on Nov. 30, her attorneys said Montgomery should be acquitted because the prosecution was unable to prove an essential element of the crime. The defense said that if the baby were defined as a fetus under the U.S. Supreme Court's Roe V. Wade decision, then Stinnett's death could not have been the result of a kidnapping - a crime that requires the victim to be a person.

The defense also said a new trial and penalty phase were warranted for several reasons, including that Fenner was wrong to bar an expert defense witness from testifying that scans of Montgomery's brain show signs of mental illness. The prosecution had argued the neuropsychologist's testing methods were scientifically invalid.

In seeking a new penalty phase, the defense also claimed that the prosecution was wrong to suggest to jurors that they should hold it against Montgomery that she had "dragged" her children into court to testify on her behalf.

The prosecution has until Dec. 27 to respond to the motion.

Jeff1857

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - A June 26 sentencing date is set for the Kansas woman convicted of killing a Missouri mother-to-be and cutting the baby from her womb.

U.S. District Judge Gary Fenner in Kansas City is expected to impose the death sentence for Lisa Montgomery of Melvern. She was found guilty in October of the 2004 slaying of Bobbie Jo Stinnett of Skidmore, in northwest Missouri.

Jurors decided the crime warranted the death penalty, which Fenner had said he would be obliged to impose.

Montgomery was convicted of kidnapping resulting in death in the Dec. 16, 2004, killing of Stinnett. Montgomery showed Stinnett's baby off as her own before she was arrested the next day at her farmhouse.

Jeff1857

Sentencing for Lisa Montgomery is scheduled for Friday. She's expected to get the death penalty, as decided by jurors.

The jury found her guilty of strangling a pregnant Bobbie Jo Stinnett in Missouri and cutting the baby from Stinnett's womb in December of 2004.

She was convicted in October 2007 of kidnapping resulting in the death of the Skidmore, Missouri woman.

When Montgomery was convicted, jurors decided the crime warrants the death penalty. U.S. District Judge Gary Fenner said he would be obliged to impose that penalty.

Montgomery's sentencing is scheduled for Friday morning.

Jeff1857

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) - A woman has been sentenced to death for killing a Missouri mother-to-be and cutting the baby from her womb.

U.S. District Judge Gary Fenner handed down the sentence Friday.

A jury had recommended the death penalty for Lisa Montgomery in the 2004 slaying of Bobbie Jo Stinnett. The 39-year-old had been convicted in October.

Montgomery was arrested at her farmhouse a day after showing off Stinnett's baby as her own.

She becomes the third woman on federal death row.

tramoore

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A woman convicted of murdering an expectant mother and kidnapping the baby from her womb received a federal death sentence.

U.S. District Judge Gary Fenner handed down the sentence in Kansas City, Missouri, on Friday. Lisa Montgomery becomes only the third woman on federal death row.

Montgomery was convicted in October of the gruesome 2004 killing of Bobbie Jo Stinnett. The 23-year-old woman was found strangled in her rural home in Skidmore, Missouri. Her womb was cut open and the unborn child was missing.

A nationwide search and intense media coverage followed. Montgomery was found in neighboring Kansas, where she had claimed the baby, which survived, as her own.

Prosecutors claimed at trial that Montgomery had first contacted Stinnett on the Internet, through their mutual interest in breeding rat terrier dogs, and later went to Stinnett's house.

A jury convicted the 39-year-old woman and recommended the death penalty, which the judge imposed Friday.

The other women awaiting execution are:

# Angela Johnson, who was sentenced in 2005 along with a man for the murders of two girls in Iowa.

# Valerie Friend, who was sentenced last year along with a man for the drug-related murder of a woman in West Virginia.

Neither Iowa nor West Virginia have the death penalty for state murder convictions.

The U.S. Justice Department stepped up capital prosecutions after Congress passed specific legislation in 1994, and 55 people are now on federal death row, convicted in many cases of drug-related murders.

Sibby

Sadly, this won't bring back Bobbie Jo. 

Other than that, it's quite appropriate.

Granny B

A baby without it's mother, and a family in mourning.  I hope her baby is doing well, but I am sure Bobbie's family misses her terribly and always will.  This was such a senseless tragedy. 

Now comes the Poisonous Penguins and the internet trolls ilk to say  Montgomery deserves to live even if she is evil.  They will fight more for her right to live than they ever would for Bobby Jo and her sweet baby.

May Bobby Jo rest in peace and her family find respite from the tribulations to come.  And may Montgomery find the devil waiting for her in h >:( ll.
" Closure? Closure is a misused word in the English language.  There is no such thing as closure for the family of a murder victim.  There will never be any closure for the death of our loved ones until we are dead ourselves.  The families have a lifetime sentence of anguish and sadness." 
Susan Levy

Peter

So The Poisonous Penguin once again raises her evil head.....

Peter M.

Sibby

I had read somewhere that there was strife between Bobbie Jo's mother, Becky Harper, and her widower husband Zeb.  I doubt the grandma sees very much of little Tori Jo.

These killers have no clue about the extreme carnage they leave behind, and how many forms it takes.

Granny B

So The Poisonous Penguin once again raises her evil head.....

Peter M.

No Peter, I was making a comment on the death penalty pleas for this murderous bitch in the future.

By the way, how ya doin?

" Closure? Closure is a misused word in the English language.  There is no such thing as closure for the family of a murder victim.  There will never be any closure for the death of our loved ones until we are dead ourselves.  The families have a lifetime sentence of anguish and sadness." 
Susan Levy

Peter

Soz... But I'm a tad hypersensitive about the 'Poisonous Penguin'. Sure sounded like she WAS raising her evil head, the bitch...

We doing ok. Will email y'awll shortly,

:-*

Peter M.

AnneTheBelgian

Follow this link : http://www.leagle.com/xmlResult.aspx?xmldoc=In%20FCO%2020110405162.xml&docbase=CSLWAR3-2007-CURR

U.S. v. MONTGOMERY

United States of America, Appellee,
v.
Lisa M. Montgomery, Appellant.

No. 08-1780.

United States Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit.

Submitted: September 22, 2010.

Filed: April 5, 2011.

Before WOLLMAN, MURPHY, and SHEPHERD, Circuit Judges.

Photo : The murderer Lisa M. Montgomery >:(

Anne
"DEATH PENALTY OPPONENTS WHO TWIST THE TRUTH TO PROTECT KILLERS ARE ALSO TORTURING VICTIMS FAMILIES" (PETER BRONSON, CINCINNATI ENQUIRER,FEBRUARY 3, 2003)

PRO DEATH PENALTY AND PROUD OF IT !!!

JE MAINTIENDRAI (MOTTO OF WILLIAM I THE SILENT, PRINCE OF ORANGE, 1533 - 1584, MOTTO OF THE NETHERLANDS)

DEO JUVANTE (MOTTO OF THE PRINCIPALITY OF MONACO)

PROUD TO BE BELGIAN !!! I LOVE MY KINGDOM !!!

Lady

Ouch my eyes my eyes ......Oh what a horrible sight to see .  LOL  When reading about cases like this ,it is hard to maintain my anti death penalty stance .
Until u walk a mile in my Hillbilly shoes ..step the f**k back . Quote by Me
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. ~Abraham Lincoln
If u have a problem ,take it up with my @ss, cause it is the only thing that gives a shyt . Peter Griffith Family Guy

Go Up