Idaho Death Penalty News

Started by Jeff1857, February 10, 2008, 06:23:37 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Angelstorms OL'Man

OK may be they should  learn to read  when 3 drugs are used. 5MG Sodium thiopental  is the first drug used..  When they use 1 drug..  Guess what still 5MG Sodium Thiopental... So when it comes down to it. It takes 3 min. And ur dead no mater what.  I mean really are these folks that dumb... If I was a Judge  and the one drug or 2 drug thing came to  my court room.  Point that out to them and say OK we argue this tomorrow to see if we need a jury.. Bring your A game.  When the first but but comes out ask u have 3 choices rope , bullet , or drugs.  YOU will die in 5 min.  pick one or  will.  O and I don't care if it hurts.

In my opinion  cruel and unusual means. If the average person is not grossed out and the average person can stand the pin with out screaming  in pain.  IT'S GOOD TO GO... So lets hope Idaho is smart and gets back using the Death chamber...
This was designed to hurt....Its a SEAL Candace unless you have been there yo will never understand...

AnneTheBelgian

http://www.localnews8.com/news/31083575/detail.html

Idaho Opts For 1 Drug Only In Execution Policy

By Associated Press

POSTED: 12:28 pm MDT May 18, 2012

UPDATED: 12:36 pm MDT May 18, 2012

BOISE, Idaho -- Idaho's corrections chief says the agency is switching to a one-drug lethal injection for future executions of death row inmates.

Idaho Department of Corrections Director Brent Reinke said Friday execution teams will administer a single, lethal dose of the surgical sedative pentobarbital.

That's a change from the execution carried out by the agency last fall, when the condemned inmate was injected with three-drug mixture, which included pentobarbital.

Reinke says the change was driven by difficulties in obtaining the other two chemicals used to kill Paul Ezra Rhoades in November.

The decision makes Idaho the latest death penalty state to switch to using only pentobarbital in its lethal injection.

Reinke says the one-drug protocol will be used in the June 12 execution of convicted murderer Richard Leavitt.

Anne
"DEATH PENALTY OPPONENTS WHO TWIST THE TRUTH TO PROTECT KILLERS ARE ALSO TORTURING VICTIMS FAMILIES" (PETER BRONSON, CINCINNATI ENQUIRER,FEBRUARY 3, 2003)

PRO DEATH PENALTY AND PROUD OF IT !!!

JE MAINTIENDRAI (MOTTO OF WILLIAM I THE SILENT, PRINCE OF ORANGE, 1533 - 1584, MOTTO OF THE NETHERLANDS)

DEO JUVANTE (MOTTO OF THE PRINCIPALITY OF MONACO)

PROUD TO BE BELGIAN !!! I LOVE MY KINGDOM !!!

turboprinz

Killer's competency appeal nears in federal court

By REBECCA BOONE | Associated Press Published December 16, 2012

BOISE, Idaho - As an appeal over the competency of a convicted child killer nears in Idaho's U.S. District Court, a judge is sorting out just what expert witnesses should be allowed to testify about in the case.

Joseph Edward Duncan III was sentenced to death in 2008 after admitting he kidnapped and tortured two northern Idaho children before killing one of them. He gave up his appeals later that year, but his former attorneys argued that he wasn't mentally competent and fought the sentence on his behalf.

A hearing on the matter will be held in Boise's U.S. District Court in January.

Duncan's defense attorneys say the crux of the case is whether Duncan suffered from religious delusions or merely held unusual religious beliefs, according to court documents.

http://www.theolympian.com/2012/12/16/2355651/killers-competency-appeal-nears.html
I apologize for my not perfect English. Hopefully you understand what I mean. If not - ask me. I will try to explain.

turboprinz

No new death sentence to be sought for Lacey Sivak
Posted by Betsy
May 22, 2013 12:33 p.m.

Prosecutors now say they won't seek a death sentence for Lacey Mark Sivak, who was one of the longest occupants of Idaho's Death Row after being sentenced to death in 1981 for the murder of Dixie Wilson; his sentence was reversed on appeal in 2011, and he's up for re-sentencing this fall. The Associated Press reports that Ada County prosecutors have decided to ask for a fixed life term in prison, after consulting with relatives of the victim, then-30-year-old Dixie Wilson.

"They've waited 30 years for this to end, and now they have the prospect of having to wait another 20 years, because you know how long it takes to get an execution in the 9th Circuit," Ada County Deputy Prosecutor Roger Bourne told the AP. "They didn't want to wait. They decided they needed closure. So, we are asking the judge for a fixed life sentence." Click below for a full report from AP reporter Rebecca Boone; Idaho currently has 12 people on Death Row, 11 men and one woman.

Idaho prosecutor won't seek death again for Sivak
By REBECCA BOONE, Associated Press

BOISE, Idaho (AP) -- An Idaho prosecutor said Wednesday he won't seek the death penalty when Lacey Mark Sivak is resentenced this fall.

Sivak was sentenced to death for the murder of 30-year-old Dixie Wilson at a gas station in 1981, but the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals reversed his sentence in 2011 after finding the state allowed a jailhouse informant to lie on the witness stand.

Ada County Deputy Prosecutor Roger Bourne said he decided against seeking another death sentence after talking to Wilson's three children and former husband. The kids, who were all between the ages of 9 and 14 when Wilson died, are now in their 40s, Bourne said. Wilson's husband at the time of her death is now in his mid-70s.

"They've waited 30 years for this to end, and now they have the prospect of having to wait another 20 years, because you know how long it takes to get an execution in the 9th Circuit," Bourne said. "They didn't want to wait. They decided they needed closure. So, we are asking the judge for a fixed life sentence."

Though the family is still heartbroken over Wilson's murder, they "recognize the reality of this ... and that's what's driving the decision," Bourne said.

At Sivak's original trial, prosecutors said Sivak and fellow defendant Randall Bainbridge both killed Wilson -- Sivak, because he believed Wilson had gotten him fired from the Baird Oil gas station in Garden City, and Bainbridge because he was sexually motivated.

The two men were tried separately and both were convicted, but only Sivak was sentenced to death. Bainbridge was given life in prison. In Sivak's trial, the only direct evidence establishing that he -- and not Bainbridge -- committed the murder came from Bainbridge's unsworn statement during a police interrogation and from two jailhouse informants, according to the appellate court's ruling.

But one of the jailhouse informants acknowledged on the stand that he was a habitual liar, and the other lied about his motives for testifying, saying he didn't expect to get preferential treatment from the state on his own criminal cases.

Sivak's attorney, Rob Chastain, didn't immediately return a phone call from The Associated Press.

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/boise/2013/may/22/no-new-death-sentence-be-sought-lacey-sivak/
I apologize for my not perfect English. Hopefully you understand what I mean. If not - ask me. I will try to explain.

turboprinz

July 20, 2013 in Region
Inmate sues over lack of lunches on weekends

POCATELLO - A man sentenced to death in two states is suing the kitchen supervisor of Idaho's maximum-security prison because the state no longer serves lunch to inmates on weekends.

Timothy Dunlap was sentenced to death in 1992 for killing Tonya Crane during a bank robbery in Caribou County. He has also been sentenced to death in Ohio for killing his girlfriend a few weeks before Crane's death.

The Idaho State Journal reported Dunlap filed the lawsuit in Boise's U.S. District Court last week, contending that he is losing weight and had a heart attack because of the change to weekend meals implemented in 2011.

Idaho inmates get three meals a day except weekends, when they get a larger breakfast and dinner and a piece of fruit at lunch time. State officials said both the weekday and weekend menus meet the expected caloric requirements for inmates. Prisoners can also request medically ordered sack lunches if needed for health reasons.

In the lawsuit, Dunlap contends that on Oct. 11, 2011, former kitchen supervisor Dennis Frick stopped serving lunch on Saturdays and Sundays at the Idaho Maximum Security Institution south of Boise.

"I keep losing weight and suffered a heart attack due to low sodium," Dunlap wrote in the suit. "I do know that it is cruel and unusual for the kitchen not serving lunch on the weekends."

It's the second time Dunlap has filed a lawsuit over the weekend menu. The first time the lawsuit was dismissed because the Idaho Attorney General successfully argued that Dunlap failed to exhaust the administrative remedies available to inmates through the prison grievance system.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2013/jul/20/inmate-sues-over-lack-of-lunches-on-weekends/

Angelstorms OL'Man

I call BS on the cause. Low salt level eat a salt packet and back in ur cage..
This was designed to hurt....Its a SEAL Candace unless you have been there yo will never understand...

ggbop

HONESTLY!!!!!!   Have the Idaho courts nothing better to do than listen to this   :-\ wipe.  They should just lift his stay and get it over with.
Genesis 9:6
"Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed; for in the image of God has God made man. "

turboprinz

Idaho Supreme Court rejects Shackelford appeal, upholds sentence
Aug. 19, 2013

Here's a news item from the Associated Press: BOISE, Idaho (AP) --

The Idaho Supreme Court has upheld two life sentences given to a former death row inmate who killed his ex-wife and her boyfriend in 1999. The court ruled Friday against 51-year-old Dale Shackelford and his argument that he should have been given a different judge for his resentencing in 2011 and that some testimony shouldn't have been allowed. Shackelford was convicted of shooting Donna Fontaine and Fred Palahniuk to death in the northern Idaho town of Kendrick. He was sentenced to death. However, the U.S. Supreme Court later ruled that juries, not judges, must hand down death sentences. At a new sentencing hearing Shackelford received two fixed life sentences. Latah County Prosecutor Bill Thompson says he's pleased with the recent decision because Shackelford remains a threat to society.

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/boise/2013/aug/19/idaho-supreme-court-rejects-shackelford-appeal-upholds-sentence/

turboprinz

Idaho death row inmate's latest appeal dismissed
December 1, 2013

BOISE, Idaho -- The state Supreme Court rejected a condemned Idaho killer's latest bid for a new trial, saying admissible evidence didn't support his claims and he missed important deadlines.

The justices on Wednesday upheld a state court's dismissal of Zane Jack Fields' sixth appeal since he was convicted and sentenced to die two decades ago.

Prosecutors say the now-55-year-old from Idaho Falls stabbed 69-year-old Mary Katherine Vanderford to death on Feb. 11, 1988, and stole about $50 from her business, the Wishing Well Gift Shop in Boise. Vanderford was stabbed repeatedly in the back, chest, arm, head and throat with a large knife, but lived long enough to call 911.

Field was convicted and sentenced to die in 1991 after prosecutors said he told a fellow inmate he killed Vanderford while he was in jail on an unrelated aggravated assault conviction.

In his latest appeal, Fields says he's innocent and contends other prisoners lied to authorities when they said he claimed responsibility for Vanderford's death.

In their eight-page unanimous ruling, the justices concluded that District Judge Thomas Neville properly dismissed Fields' claim.

That's because the high court said some evidence wasn't admissible in court under Idaho law. A 2011 declaration from inmate Harold Gilcrist apparently confessing to making false statements wasn't notarized, according to Justice Pro Tem Jesse Walters, who wrote Wednesday's decision.

"The declaration plainly is not an affidavit because it lacks notarization," Walters wrote. "Nor does the declaration possess any other indicia of authenticity. Based on the declaration's deficiencies, the district court properly rejected it as support for Fields's claims."

Additionally, the justices said Fields' bid for a new trial missed key deadlines.

According to Idaho law, he had 42 days after he was convicted and sentenced to die to file a legal or factual challenge "that is known or reasonably should be known."

Fields says he learned of the inmate's supposed false testimony some 20 years after his sentence. But the justices said Fields' petition hadn't adequately demonstrated that he filed his appeal before the deadline for doing so expired.

"Based on the information provided by Fields, it is impossible to determine when it would be reasonable for Fields to know he had a claim based on Gilcrist's alleged actions," Walters wrote.

Some of Fields' previous appeals have been dismissed on similar grounds.

http://www.enquirerherald.com/2013/12/01/2812950/idaho-death-row-inmates-latest.html

turboprinz

Idaho death row inmate dies after extended illness
July 9, 2014

BOISE, Idaho -- Officials say a prisoner who has been on Idaho's death row since 2001 has died after an extended illness.

The Idaho Department of Correction says Michael Allen Jauhola (jaw-HOHL'-ah) died Wednesday at age 41.

Jauhola had been on death row at the Idaho Maximum Security Institution since 2001, when he was sentenced for the 1998 murder of a fellow inmate. He was moved to the prison's medical unit in May.

The Department of Correction says the Ada County Coroner will perform an autopsy to verify the cause of death.

Jauhola was serving time for manslaughter and escape when he was convicted of first-degree murder in the death of fellow inmate John Alfred Williams. Court documents say Jauhola hit the 38-year-old in the head with a baseball bat several times during an exercise break.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/07/09/3273777/idaho-death-row-inmate-dies-after.html?sp=/99/101/531/

turboprinz

Northwest killer denied death sentence appeal
March 2, 2016

BOISE, Idaho (AP) -- The U.S. Supreme Court has denied hearing an appeal of a man who was sentenced to death for kidnapping, torturing and killing a young northern Idaho boy after killing several of members of his family.

U.S. Attorney Wendy Olson announced Wednesday that the high court had made their decision earlier this week.

Joseph Edward Duncan III faces the death penalty for the 2005 murder of 9-year-old Dylan Groene. He also faces several life sentences for the murder of three family members and the kidnapping of his then-8-year-old sister.

At the time, Duncan represented himself at his sentencing hearing but later waived his right to appeal. He has since changed his mind and his defense attorneys say he wasn't mentally competent to waive his rights.

The high court's decision affirms U.S. District Court Judge Edward Lodge's 2013 finding that Duncan was competent to waive his appeal.

No execution date has been set, and Duncan's attorneys may still seek other post-conviction relief.

http://q13fox.com/2016/03/02/northwest-killer-denied-death-sentence-appeal/

Go Up