Death Penalty In South Carolina 6/20/08

Started by ScoopD (aka: Pam), June 20, 2008, 03:50:28 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Gregg Fisher

I disagree Klauss. The families of the killers should be made to clean up the mess after the executtion. While a member of the families of the victims should be allowed to throw the switch or push the needle. The victims families have been thru enough to have to clean up a mess like that.

And I would also like to "abolish the stay".  In fact I think I'll have that printed on T-shirts for Quincey Allen's next trial. I can't stand that he recieved a stay of execution earlier this year and we're STILL waiting on the retrial..... It's goign to be a whole decade before this is over and Jedidiah Harr's mother can be at peace because her son's killer is no more.

Another false identity to spark some debate!

And you are just some troll who is an anti and most likely a thug lover. Get out.

No I don't think this is a Troll issue, I think it's just someone who thought the Screenename Stephen King was funny for a Pro- Death Penalty forum. Not realizing it is my real name.

No, it is definitely a troll issue. The person also registered under two different screennames.

Granny B

That's correct Gregg, and they have been eliminated.
" Closure? Closure is a misused word in the English language.  There is no such thing as closure for the family of a murder victim.  There will never be any closure for the death of our loved ones until we are dead ourselves.  The families have a lifetime sentence of anguish and sadness." 
Susan Levy

AnneTheBelgian

http://www.dailycomet.com/article/20110117/APN/1101171810?Title=SC-has-0-executions-in-2010

SC has 0 executions in 2010

The Associated Press

Published: Monday, January 17, 2011 at 8:24 a.m.

Last Modified: Monday, January 17, 2011 at 8:24 a.m.

For the first time in seven years, South Carolina did not execute any prisoners in 2010.

The Greenville News reports Monday that more than 50 inmates await their death sentence.

South Carolina is among 35 states with the death penalty. The Corrections Department reports 42 people have been executed since 1985. The annual tally peaked at seven in 1998.

The last time the state executed no one in a calendar year was 2003. At least five executions were stayed in 2010. That includes three who are appealing their sentences to the U.S. Supreme Court.

The Death Penalty Information Center reports that 46 inmates were executed nationwide last year. That's a 12 percent decline from 2009.

Death penalty observers cite cost among factors for the drop.

---

Information from: The Greenville News, http://www.greenvillenews.com

Anne
"DEATH PENALTY OPPONENTS WHO TWIST THE TRUTH TO PROTECT KILLERS ARE ALSO TORTURING VICTIMS FAMILIES" (PETER BRONSON, CINCINNATI ENQUIRER,FEBRUARY 3, 2003)

PRO DEATH PENALTY AND PROUD OF IT !!!

JE MAINTIENDRAI (MOTTO OF WILLIAM I THE SILENT, PRINCE OF ORANGE, 1533 - 1584, MOTTO OF THE NETHERLANDS)

DEO JUVANTE (MOTTO OF THE PRINCIPALITY OF MONACO)

PROUD TO BE BELGIAN !!! I LOVE MY KINGDOM !!!

StephenKing

Yeah Anne I saw that article, and it made me angry.  >:( It shows that the horse I'm pulling for in this race, Quincey Allen, is second in line for the penalty. .....there is so much frustration and pain in trying to get closure on this subject for all the friends and families of Quincey's victims. As Macabre as it sounds, We're hoping for a more lethal 2011 down here.
My reason for supporting the death penalty. My coworker, Quincey Allen, shot and killed my friend Jed Harr while shooting at my roommate/friend/expectant father, Brian Marquis, and then tried to burn down my house. Quincey then went on a killing spree because he wanted to be famous.

JeffB

Murder during home invasion could carry death penalty with new proposed bill in South Carolina

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS 
First Posted: February 14, 2012 - 4:01 am
Last Updated: February 14, 2012 - 4:01 am

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- A new bill up for debate by a South Carolina Senate panel would add a new crime to the list of offenses eligible for the death penalty.

The Senate Judiciary Committee on Tuesday is set to debate the bill that would create a new crime of home invasion in South Carolina, punishable by a prison sentence of 20 years to life.

The bill would also make someone convicted of committing a murder during a home invasion eligible for a death sentence.

The bill is called the Home Invasion Protection Act.

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/c69aff6dfec6426f971ffaa3e5965560/SC-XGR--Home-Invasion/

"SO SUCK IT YOU "BLUE COOLER" DOPE!"  -  Sylar24

Angelstorms OL'Man

It's about time. I think if you murder someone while committing a felony crime it should be automatic Death sentence. In all US state's.   

Murder during home invasion could carry death penalty with new proposed bill in South Carolina

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS 
First Posted: February 14, 2012 - 4:01 am
Last Updated: February 14, 2012 - 4:01 am

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- A new bill up for debate by a South Carolina Senate panel would add a new crime to the list of offenses eligible for the death penalty.

The Senate Judiciary Committee on Tuesday is set to debate the bill that would create a new crime of home invasion in South Carolina, punishable by a prison sentence of 20 years to life.

The bill would also make someone convicted of committing a murder during a home invasion eligible for a death sentence.

The bill is called the Home Invasion Protection Act.

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/c69aff6dfec6426f971ffaa3e5965560/SC-XGR--Home-Invasion/
This was designed to hurt....Its a SEAL Candace unless you have been there yo will never understand...

turboprinz

Death Row Inmate Returns to Court in Abbeville
Published: December 11, 2012

ABBEVILLE, S.C. --

A convicted murderer returns to court nine years after he murdered Abbeville County Sheriff's Office Deputy Danny Wilson and Constable Donnie Ouzts on Monday.

Steven Bixby, a death row inmate, returned to Abbeville on Monday for a post-conviction relief hearing, which is scheduled to continue through Thursday.

Bixby's attorneys, John Mills and Dan Westbrook, declined to comment on why Bixby was having this hearing.  Eighth Circuit Solicitor Jerry Peace says that post-conviction relief hearings are often used to get criminals a new trial.

Witnesses were called to the stand on Monday, including Professor Ruben Gur of the University of Pennsylvania's Perelman School of Medicine.

Gur, a recognized expert on how the brain works and specifically brain damage, said that given his research on Bixby, he suffers from brain damage and schizophrenia.

http://www2.wspa.com/news/2012/dec/11/death-row-inmate-returns-court-abbeville-ar-5149453/
I apologize for my not perfect English. Hopefully you understand what I mean. If not - ask me. I will try to explain.

turboprinz

South Carolina Supreme Court overturns death sentence for man convicted of killing Anderson woman
Posted February 13, 2013 at 10:22 a.m., updated February 13, 2013 at 1:34 p.m.

The South Carolina Supreme Court has overturned the death penalty for Raymondeze Rivera, meaning the convicted killer will face a new trial for the killing of Kwana Burns.

Rivera was sentenced to death in 2010 after an Anderson jury took only minutes to find him guilty of murder.

Burns was strangled to death, and her then 2-year-old daughter was found lying on her mother's lifeless body.

When Rivera was on trial for Burns' killing, he was already serving a life sentence for a murder charge. He was convicted of killing Asha Wiley, an Anderson woman like Burns, who was strangled to death two days before Burns.

The Supreme Court decision does not affect the Wiley conviction, and Rivera will continue to serve a life sentence for that killing.

According to the Supreme Court decision, announced Wednesday, Judge Alexander Macaulay, mistakenly refused to allow Rivera to testify at his 2010 trial.

"(Rivera) elected to testify, yet (defense) counsel refused to call him to the stand," according to the Supreme Court decision. "Despite (Rivera's) persistence, the trial court acquiesced in counsel's decision and refused to allow (Rivera) to testify."

Robert Dudek was one of Rivera's appellate attorneys. He teaches law at the University of South Carolina and as a public defender, he regularly argues death penalty appeals at the state Supreme Court .

"There are a couple things that only a defendant has a right to decide," Dudek said. "For example, only the defendant gets to decide whether he'll plead guilty or go to trail. I, as an attorney, can think it's in the best interests to plead guilty and not go to trial, but ultimately it is his decision, the same as with the right to testify."

It is not clear when or where a new trial will be scheduled. The state legal community is waiting for answers about scheduling after another Supreme Court decision has upended, but temporarily upheld, the current practice of solicitors setting dockets. State legislators are grappling with possible solutions.

Rivera's confessions were played at his trial. He smiled throughout the testimony, and his trial attorneys said letters Rivera sent to Burns' mother on the anniversary of her slaying were intended to ensure jurors would sentence Rivera to death.

http://www.independentmail.com/news/2013/feb/13/south-carolina-supreme-court-overturns-death-sente/
I apologize for my not perfect English. Hopefully you understand what I mean. If not - ask me. I will try to explain.

turboprinz

Man on S.C. death row for more than a decade dies
Posted April 4, 2013 at 10:40 a.m.

RIDGEVILLE, S.C. -- A man who spent more than a decade on South Carolina's death row for killing three women has died.

Corrections Department spokesman Clark Newsom says 64-year-old Charles Shuler died Wednesday at Lieber Correctional Institution. The Times and Democrat of Orangeburg reported that Shuler died of heart failure.

Shuler had been on death row since 2001, when he was convicted of killing his ex-girlfriend, Linda Williams; her mother, Dorothy Gates, and Linda Williams' 13-year-old daughter, Stacy Williams.

Jurors deliberated for less than an hour before recommending the death sentence.

During a two-day trial, jurors heard a tape of a 911 call in which a dying Stacy Williams identified Shuler as her assailant. They also listened to threatening messages Shuler had left on Linda Williams' answering machine days before the shootings.

http://www.independentmail.com/news/2013/apr/04/man-sc-death-row-more-decade-dies/

turboprinz

Man formerly on SC death row suing prosecutors
By MEG KINNARD Published: Monday, July 22, 2013, 11:16 am

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -- A man condemned for decades to South Carolina's death row says prosecutors wrongfully pursued a case against him in a widow's 1982 death.

Edward Lee Elmore filed a federal lawsuit last month accusing prosecutors of planting evidence that implicated him and conspiring to convict him.

Elmore was sentenced to death in the slaying of a 75-year-old widow for whom he had done odd jobs.

That verdict was overturned on appeal three times. Elmore left death row in 2010 when his attorneys argued he was mentally disabled and had a low IQ.

In 2012, he left prison altogether after entering an Alford plea to murder. Prosecutors agreed his punishment should be the 11,000 days Elmore spent incarcerated.

Court papers listed no attorneys for the prosecutors and officers named in Elmore's lawsuit.

http://www.thecoastalsource.com/2013/07/22/man-formerly-on-sc-death-row-suing-prosecutors/

Go Up