Death Penalty In South Carolina 6/20/08

Started by ScoopD (aka: Pam), June 20, 2008, 03:50:28 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

ScoopD (aka: Pam)

James Earl Reed will be the 280th person executed in South Carolina since 1912.

Before that, executions were by hanging in individual counties.

Of the 279 condemned, 73 were white and 206 were black. Also, 277 were men and two were women.

Legalities of execution

Between 1963 and 1984, the state did not carry out any executions while the legality of death penalty statutes was challenged nationally.

In 1972, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the death penalty was unconstitutional in cases in which the court or jury had the unfettered discretion to impose the ultimate penalty.

South Carolina, along with 34 other states, modified its statutes to make the capital punishment mandatory in certain cases.

Crimes punishable by death in South Carolina are murder with one of 13 aggravating circumstances and criminal sexual conduct with a minor with one of nine aggravating circumstances.

Also considered capital offenses are second and subsequent offenses of first-degree criminal sexual conduct with a minor who is less than 11 years old.

Methods of execution

All executions in the state were carried out by electrocution until June 1995, when people were allowed to choose between the electric chair and lethal injection.

Since the option of lethal injection was introduced, only two people have been executed by electrocution. The last man to die in the electric chair was in 2004 after he refused to decide a method of execution. The default was the electric chair because he was sentenced before June 1995.

The default mode for those sentenced after June 1995 is lethal injection.

Eight states use the electric chair in executions, and all of those states offer lethal injection as an alternative. The gas chamber, hanging and firing squad also still exist in a few states, which also offer lethal injection as an alternative.

source: http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/jun/20/killers_own_death_nears45100/
<br /><br />If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine<br /><br />My reason for supporting capital punishment: My cousin 16 yr. old Amanda Greenwell was murdered in March of 2004 at the hands of serial killer Jeremy Bryan Jones.

TKraus

Interesting. I read South Carolina doesn't have the date in the option as Tennessee, Alabama and a few others according the liberal Richard Dieter, our enemy. But does it matter to us? Heck no so long as the execution is carried out as scheduled.

Remember Pam, the stay is our enemy.

Kraus

Kill the Killer! Abolish the stay!
<br /><br />If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine<br /><br />My reason for supporting capital punishment: My cousin 16 yr. old Amanda Greenwell was murdered in March of 2004 at the hands of serial killer Jeremy Bryan Jones.

Michael

Is this the beginning of a new civil movement?  ;)

Michael
I´m not sure if there´s a hell, but I believe in executed murderers.

TKraus

Michael,

Yes a new movement. I like that. Pam, Jeff, there's a fire in the barn.
We shall overcome. We shall overcome.

Kraus

TKraus

By the way folks, how do they test the electric chair? Do they use another prisoner? Oh I shouldn't have said that. Using prisoners for experiments went on the WWII. Forgive me.

Kraus

gabmat

Eight states use the electric chair in executions, and all of those states offer lethal injection as an alternative.

I think the newspaper article is wrong about that. Nebraska has ONLY the electric chair. Which now is a big problem because it was ruled unconstitutional there earlier this year. So they now have the DP in Nebraska, but no legal way to actually carry it out.

TKraus

Say folks, administering drugs without a license is illegal right. So abolish lethal injection and all states use the electric chair. It has got to be funny to watch the contestant jerk around, make funny noise whilst the current traverses thier flesh. And I think his or her family should tend to cleanup on aisle six.

Kraus

StephenKing

I disagree Klauss. The families of the killers should be made to clean up the mess after the executtion. While a member of the families of the victims should be allowed to throw the switch or push the needle. The victims families have been thru enough to have to clean up a mess like that.

And I would also like to "abolish the stay".  In fact I think I'll have that printed on T-shirts for Quincey Allen's next trial. I can't stand that he recieved a stay of execution earlier this year and we're STILL waiting on the retrial..... It's goign to be a whole decade before this is over and Jedidiah Harr's mother can be at peace because her son's killer is no more.
My reason for supporting the death penalty. My coworker, Quincey Allen, shot and killed my friend Jed Harr while shooting at my roommate/friend/expectant father, Brian Marquis, and then tried to burn down my house. Quincey then went on a killing spree because he wanted to be famous.

StephenKing

Not quite... Stephen Ray King Jr..... my true and given name... Ironic on this webpage I know..... however it is not a madeup screenname in this instance. I, being a survivor and friend of someone killed by Quincey Allen a deathrow inmate in South Carolina, proudly display my true name on this board and my view points on the matter. So this is really my name and my icon is really my picture. I am a proud and fervent death penalty supporter and look forward to expressing that on this page.
My reason for supporting the death penalty. My coworker, Quincey Allen, shot and killed my friend Jed Harr while shooting at my roommate/friend/expectant father, Brian Marquis, and then tried to burn down my house. Quincey then went on a killing spree because he wanted to be famous.

JTiscool

I disagree Klauss. The families of the killers should be made to clean up the mess after the executtion. While a member of the families of the victims should be allowed to throw the switch or push the needle. The victims families have been thru enough to have to clean up a mess like that.

And I would also like to "abolish the stay".  In fact I think I'll have that printed on T-shirts for Quincey Allen's next trial. I can't stand that he recieved a stay of execution earlier this year and we're STILL waiting on the retrial..... It's goign to be a whole decade before this is over and Jedidiah Harr's mother can be at peace because her son's killer is no more.

Another false identity to spark some debate!

And you are just some troll who is an anti and most likely a thug lover. Get out.
My reason for supporting the death penalty? A murderer has less of a right to live than his victim and already presents a danger while incarcerated for life. They have nothing to lose when the most they can get is Life in prison without parole.

Elric of Melnibone

What is wrong with giving the POS a year and a day to proclaim his "innocence" and then on the 366th day we whack him???
You can lead an ass to water and if you fight long and hard, you can make it drink.  But at the end of the day, after all the fighting, it is still an ass.

Banned from PTO 3 times so far for life.

StephenKing

Bwahahahah....and when you say whack him....? Is that like the Mob term for shooting him whack him? Or take a golf club and ladder and tee of on his cranium whack him? :)

StephenKing

Another false identity to spark some debate!

And you are just some troll who is an anti and most likely a thug lover. Get out.

No I don't think this is a Troll issue, I think it's just someone who thought the Screenename Stephen King was funny for a Pro- Death Penalty forum. Not realizing it is my real name.

Go Up