Connecticut Death Penalty News

Started by turboprinz, December 16, 2012, 07:51:59 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

turboprinz

Conn. death penalty trial to resume
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 6:00 pm

SOMERS (AP) -- A trial is scheduled to resume in the case of five Connecticut death row inmates who claim their prosecutions were fraught with racial and geographical biases.

The habeas corpus trial is set to continue Tuesday at Northern Correctional Institution in Somers, with a video feed for the public available at Rockville Superior Court. The trial has been held on and off for the past three months.

Five of the 11 men on the state's death row claim their death penalties were prosecuted in arbitrary and discriminatory ways based on their race and where their trials were heard. Prosecutors deny the claims.

Six men on death row are black, four are white and one is Hispanic.

Connecticut abolished the death penalty last April, but only for future murder cases.

http://www.thehour.com/news/state__regional/conn-death-penalty-trial-to-resume/article_7f920bd3-3d36-59ae-8da8-6c30281fe46e.html
I apologize for my not perfect English. Hopefully you understand what I mean. If not - ask me. I will try to explain.

turboprinz

New trial begins for death row inmate Russell Peeler Jr.

Published: August 5, 2013 8:07 AM

Prosecutors say Russell Peeler Jr. gunned down a rival drug dealer and another man in a barbershop in 1998. (August 5, 2013)

BRIDGEPORT - A murder trial begins today for a Bridgeport man already on death row for ordering the killings of a woman and her 8-year-old son.

Prosecutors say Russell Peeler Jr. gunned down a rival drug dealer and another man in a barbershop in 1998.

He was sentenced to death for later ordering his brother to kill witnesses to that murder, Leroy "B.J." Brown and his mother Karen Clarke.

http://connecticut.news12.com/news/new-trial-begins-for-death-row-inmate-russell-peeler-jr-1.5830349
I apologize for my not perfect English. Hopefully you understand what I mean. If not - ask me. I will try to explain.

fangtasia0413

Now what is going to happen to the dudes that were on death row before CT abolished the DP?  Supposedly, they still face execution in the future, but I'm not holding my breath.  As long as Hayes and Komisarjevski get the needle, I don't care what else happens.

Btw, anyone else catch the documentary on HBO, A Murder in Chesire?  It was surprisingly even handed, not pro or con.  Except for the bleeding heart defense lawyers, even the Anti's said these guys were poster children for the death penalty.  One of the anti legislators was only anti because he thought that Dr.  Petit would never see the killers executed, not because he had any sympathy for the prisoners.  Plus the only one in his lifetime who was ever executed, was Michael Ross the serial killer.  It was really well done and had me bawling through the whole movie.
I'm a Bill Maher style liberal.  I believe in the death penalty for those who really deserve it, assisted suicide, pro choice, and the legalization of certain drugs.

"I don't know what it is about me that makes people think I want to hear their problems. Maybe I smile too much. Maybe I wear too much pink. But please remember I can rip your throat out if I need to."-Pamela de Beaufort-True Blood

turboprinz

Lawyer: Conn. home invasion convict tried suicide
March 13, 2014

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) -- One of two convicts sentenced to death in a Connecticut home invasion sent suicidal letters before he was found unresponsive in his cell Monday, his attorney said Thursday.

Steven Hayes remained in stable condition Thursday at a hospital, a correction department spokesman said. Hayes implied in the letters he would be dead by the time they were received, said his attorney, Tom Ullmann.

"I don't think there's any question that it was an attempted suicide," Ullmann said.

Asked why Hayes tried to kill himself, Ullmann said, "The conditions of confinement are oppressive." He accused rogue correctional officers of harassing Hayes, declining to discuss details except to cite the removal of items from Hayes' cell such as extra blankets.

Prisoners on death row are kept in isolation 23 hours per day, Ullmann added.

Hayes, 50, is on death row for the 2007 killings of a woman and her two daughters after a night of torment inside their home in suburban Cheshire. Another man, Joshua Komisarjevsky, also was convicted and sentenced to death for the home invasion killings.

A federal judge in November denied Hayes' lawsuit seeking to change his conditions at Northern Correctional Institution, ruling that he did not provide any evidence that his mental health treatment was inadequate or to back up his request for changes to his diet.

Hayes also said his legal papers were confiscated as a form of harassment or retaliation. The judge said the failure of prison staff to provide a full response to that claim "gives the court pause," but he said Hayes had not shown irreparable harm.

Hayes more recently filed an emergency motion seeking relief, saying his prison cell was too cold and that he was misdiagnosed by staff who claimed his suicidal tendencies, depression and other issues stemmed from his crime rather than his conditions.

"I would rather die than endure these conditions any longer," Hayes wrote last month.

Hayes did acknowledge that he should be in prison.

"I do not deserve to be psychologically tormented or refused proper treatment," Hayes wrote. "To date I still suffer from deep emotional periods when I reflect on the pain I caused due to my crime and past actions."

In court papers, prison staff members deny harassing Hayes or violating his rights. Hayes was subject to discipline after he violated rules by sitting on the floor in protest of a search of his cell and refusing to return his handcuffs upon returning to his cell, officials said.

A Department of Correction spokesman declined to comment.

The attorney general's office, representing prison staff, said Hayes' cell is kept at 74 degrees, not 55 degrees as he claimed, and that mental health treatment was available to Hayes but he refused it.

Hayes, who has a history of suicide attempts, also sent a suicide note to The Hartford Courant in which he called Northern a "psychological torture chamber," the newspaper reported.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/mar/13/lawyer-conn-home-invasion-convict-tried-suicide/

turboprinz

Death row inmate's prison food complaint rejected
November 28, 2014

HARTFORD, Conn. -  A federal judge in Connecticut has rejected the arguments of a home invasion killer on death row who complained that the food he is being served in prison is not kosher.

Steven Hayes, convicted of killing a mother and two daughters, sued the Department of Correction in August, alleging the preparation practices for kosher meals in the kitchen at the state's highest-security prison do not conform to Jewish dietary laws.

Hayes describes himself in the lawsuit as an Orthodox Jew and says he's been requesting a kosher diet since May 2013. He says he has suffered "almost two years of emotional injury from having to choose between following God and starving or choosing sin to survive."

Hayes and Joshua Komisarjevsky were sentenced to die for the 2007 murders of Jennifer Hawke-Petit and her daughters, 17-year-old Hayley and 11-year-old Michaela, at the family's home in Cheshire. The victims were tied up, two of them were sexually assaulted and their bodies were found after the home was set on fire. Hawke-Petit's husband, Dr. William Petit, was severely beaten, but survived.

U.S. District Court Judge Alvin Thompson, in a ruling dated Tuesday, rejected Hayes' motions for a hearing and a temporary injunction.

The judge noted that Hayes is offered kosher meals, and the state Department of Correction has two rabbis who periodically monitor the preparation of kosher foods in the prison system. The judge said both rabbis certified that the food and the food preparation process comply with dietary laws.

"Although (Hayes) raises as an issue the lack of a reliable orthodox certificate or an onsite Jewish overseer, he provides no evidence suggesting that their absence leads to a finding that the meals are not kosher," the judge wrote.

Thompson did not throw out the lawsuit. But in rejecting the motions, he found there is not a likelihood that it will succeed.

In a handwritten amended complaint filed this month, Hayes said he hasn't eaten anything he considers to be nonkosher since Aug. 24 and now weighs less than 120 pounds. State prison documents show the 5-foot-7 Hayes weighed 170 pounds in 2007.

Karen Martucci, a spokeswoman for the Correction Department, said this month that Hayes has denied to prison officials that he is on a hunger strike.

Hayes also alleges he has been the subject of other religious discrimination in prison and was placed on a suicide watch for observing a fast during the Yom Kippur holiday last year.

This is not his first lawsuit against the department. In past litigation, none of which have been successful, Hayes has complained about his mental health care, harassment from prison staff and the temperature in his cell.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/11/28/death-row-inmate-prison-food-complaint-rejected/

ChevyWolken

OK,if you don't like your complaint rejected, eat nothing! Costs spared, justice done and the worms will take care of the rest of you  :-\ 
Born in Berlin, American at heart

Go Up