Conn. Repeals Death Penalty

Started by UKTom, April 26, 2012, 01:45:12 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

UKTom

HARTFORD, Conn., April 25, 2012 -- Repeal effort led by coalition of nearly 200 family members of murder victims

Connecticut Governor Dannel Malloy signed legislation repealing the death penalty today, making Connecticut the fifth state to do so in five years.

"This takes the momentum for repeal up a notch. We have another state saying, 'we've tried this experiment and the death penalty has failed,'" said Shari Silberstein, Executive Director of Equal Justice USA (EJUSA), a national organization that supports repeal of the death penalty.

Connecticut joins Illinois, New Mexico, New Jersey, and New York to become the 17th state without a death penalty. Montana, Colorado, Kansas, and Maryland have also considered repeal, and more than 800,000 Californians have signed to put the issue on the ballot in November.

"The death penalty is clearly on its way out. From East to West, states find the same flaws with the death penalty. It makes mistakes, is ineffective and unfairly applied, and it fails to meet the needs of the people whose loved ones are murdered," said Silberstein.

The Connecticut repeal effort was fueled by support from family members of murder victims. More than 180 family members called upon the Connecticut legislature to repeal the death penalty. Dozens called and visited lawmakers, spoke to the media, attended the votes in Hartford, and started a blog - www.ctvictimvoices.org.
These family members have repeatedly described the damaging effects of the death penalty, explaining how victims' families - regardless of their personal positions on the issue - have been failed by the current system. The long trial and appeals process, which is necessary to prevent the execution of an innocent person, re-traumatizes victims, forcing them to relive the crime in both the courts and media.
"We've known for a long time that the death penalty costs millions more than life without parole, and that it fails victims' families and law enforcement - the very constituencies it purports to help," said Silberstein. "It is now difficult to say that we need the death penalty for the families of homicide victims, because in Connecticut and around the country they are calling for its end."

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/04/25/4442058/connecticut-repeals-death-penalty.html#storylink=cpy

Hopefully this is in the right section and OK to post. I thought it was quite a landmark decision in the history of the DP

JTiscool

This is very depressing. Now we wait for someone else to be murdered and the murderer to say "I did it because there was no death penalty" just like what happened in Illinois.

The only reason why the death penalty seemed broken was because of the needless appeals one is allowed to delay justice. If those appeals were eliminated then executions would pick up again.
My reason for supporting the death penalty? A murderer has less of a right to live than his victim and already presents a danger while incarcerated for life. They have nothing to lose when the most they can get is Life in prison without parole.

Kitten Resq

These family members have repeatedly described the damaging effects of the death penalty, explaining how victims' families - regardless of their personal positions on the issue - have been failed by the current system. The long trial and appeals process, which is necessary to prevent the execution of an innocent person, re-traumatizes victims, forcing them to relive the crime in both the courts and media.

The death penalty has not failed the victims families, the appeals process has.
Some people say I'm a horrible person, but it's not true!  I have the heart of an innocent girl....in a jar, on my desk

Victims have a dignitary interest in justice and vindication without interminable delay caused by guilty prisoners' attempts to stave off punishment.

JTiscool

There's one state I will not be stepping foot in unless I absolutely have to. I don't feel safe there anymore  >:(
My reason for supporting the death penalty? A murderer has less of a right to live than his victim and already presents a danger while incarcerated for life. They have nothing to lose when the most they can get is Life in prison without parole.

UKTom

Certainly an interesting aspect for me is the inclusion of the 180 victims of murder and there families. What is the overall opinion of those families who has lost loved ones to murder but speak out against (and furthermore actively campaign against) the death penalty?

There was a character on this forum who admonished a rape victim who gave her opinion that she was against the DP...it would be interesting to gauge his opinion.

Hutchsmash

Certainly an interesting aspect for me is the inclusion of the 180 victims of murder and there families. What is the overall opinion of those families who has lost loved ones to murder but speak out against (and furthermore actively campaign against) the death penalty?

There was a character on this forum who admonished a rape victim who gave her opinion that she was against the DP...it would be interesting to gauge his opinion.

I am sure their opinon is that they would rather have their loved one back than have to answer questions about the death penalty.  Families of murder victims are as polorized on this subject as normal citizens are.  I'm sure I could find another 180+ families of murder victims who believe in the DP (I can think of several on this site), its all about manipulating your data/results to get the end you desire (and yes I know this goes both ways.)  The families opinion on the DP is usually based on some sort of religious convition instead of actually feeling sorry for the scumbag killer.

Hutch
"How come life in prison doesn't mean life? Until it does, we're not ready to do away with the death penalty. Stop thinking in terms of "punishment" for a minute and think in terms of safeguarding innocent people from incorrigible murderers."

JESSE VENTURA, I Ain't Got Time to Bleed

Grinning Grim Reaper

Ducking for cover?

Posted on April 27th, 2012 by Matt Stevens

I've written a lot this week about Gov. Dannel P. Malloy's actions with regard to the death penalty. On April 23, I opined that Gov. Malloy's stance - pro-repeal as long as the legislature didn't pass a bill overturning the death sentences of the 11 inmates currently on death row - was a political ploy. Then on April 25, I cited data from a Quinnipiac poll that indicated strong public support for capital punishment was a contributing factor in the governor's overall approval rating falling to 37 percent, a near-career low. I also wrote that it would be interesting to see what course of action Gov. Malloy would take to restore his political standing.

On Wednesday, the governor privately signed the long-awaited (supposedly) prospective death-penalty ban. Shortly afterward, his office released a statement in which he said the occasion was "a moment for sober reflection, not celebration," and called for supporters and opponents of capital punishment to respect each other's views and stop questioning each other's morality.

It did strike me as a bit peculiar that Gov. Malloy chose to sign the repeal legislation without any fanfare. After all, his own opposition to the death penalty is somewhat grounded in morality, and signing the legislation would undoubtedly strengthen his progressive credentials, so I thought there was a reasonably high probability that he would have a full-fledged signing ceremony. That said, the poll results that were released just a few hours before the governor signed the legislation may well have caused him and his inner circle to keep a lid on it, so as to not further inflame Connecticut residents and endanger his chances of winning a second term in 2014, which he may intend to use as a springboard to higher office.

The Hartford Courant.
Vengence is mine saith the Lord...who are we to question the instruments used to carry it out?

Russki

A typical game played by politicians............ do you you want and ignore the People
Bombs do not choose. They will hit everything   ... Nikita Khrushchev

I once said, "We will bury you," and I got into trouble with it. Of course we will not bury you with a shovel. Your own working class will bury you.  ... Nikita Khrushchev

JTiscool

Well his plan failed because everyone knows that the only way CT could abolish the death penalty is by the Governor signing it into law and since the death penalty is abolished, guess who's not going to get another term as Gov.

Go Up