Listing of California Death Row Inmates D - E

Started by Jeff1857, May 23, 2009, 10:14:48 PM

previous topic - next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Go Down


May 23, 2009, 10:14:48 PM Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 03:27:55 AM by Jeff1857
Jonathan Daniel D'Arcy
Jonathan Daniel D'Arcy, a 34-year-old janitor from Buena Park, was convicted of first-degree murder in the Feb 2, 1993 burning death of Karen MarieLaBorde, a 42-year-old mother of two who identified D'Arcy as her assailant before she died. Sentenced to Death in 1996.

Kerry Lyn Dalton
Convicted and sentenced to Death for the 1988 torture and murder of Irene Louise May in San Diego County. She was sentenced to die on May 23, 1995.

David Scott Daniels
A young woman, LaTanya McCoy, died in the flaming Plymouth after the stolen car he was driving crashed into it at the end of a high-speed police pursuit. LaTanya McCoy's death on January 2, 2000, marked the end of a two-month long crime spree by Daniels that included ten bank robberies, a score of convenience store stickups, a handful of car-jackings and the shooting death of LeWayne Carolina during a drug robbery. A five-time convicted felon, for offenses ranging from burglary to possession of narcotics, Daniels, 33, has spent half his adult life behind bars. His main problem is that he likes to get high. Extremely high. His drug-of-choice is crack cocaine. Shot 14 times in a shootout with Sacramento police. He does not know that Sgt. Steven Weinrich, the police officer he shot, is alive thanks to a badge and a bulletproof vest. Convicted and sentenced to Death Jan 2001.
Resentenced to Death 1/28/10.

Jackson C. Daniels
On May 13, 1982, Doty and Trust went to Daniels' home to arrest him on a sentencing warrant for a 1980 bank robbery and shootout. Daniels had been wounded during the gun battle with police; a bullet had severed his spinal cord. At Daniels' home, Doty and Trust allowed him to get dressed. When he was handed a pair of trousers, Daniels reached into the bedsheets, pulled out a gun and fired. Daniels was convicted in late 1983 and sentenced to death in early 1984. The case was overturned in late 2005. U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals judges said there had been insufficient communication between Daniels and his attorneys, who were inexperienced and were handling their first death penalty case. "It is clear in this case that Daniels shot the two officers and is guilty of some kind of unlawful killing," the appellate court said. An experienced attorney had earlier been removed from Daniels ' defense because prosecutors said he might be called as a witness. He never was.

Joseph Danks
In January 1987, transients in Los Angeles were falling prey to yet another random slayer -- the fifth to prey on homeless men within a decade. Like his predecessors in the latter 1970s, this stalker favored knives, which he employed with speed and deadly skill. His victims were selected from among the drifters in Koreatown and its immediate vicinity, invariably cut down from behind. According to police, the killer struck "with such force that it's almost instant death. He's vicious and he's fast." The first known victim was Christopher Forsblade, age 40, found dead on January 6. Eight days later, the slasher killed Isaac Davis at high noon, rebounding with the murder of 55-year-old John Coble less than three hours later. A "John Doe" victim in his early forties, unidentified, was slain on January 16, but the killer missed his mark the next day, leaving Almond Lord alive. Another near-miss, with 58-year-old James Lyons, marred the stalker's record on January 20, but he struck back with a vengeance that afternoon, claiming his second "John Doe" in a downtown alley. This time, there were witnesses, and they pursued the killer for five blocks, finally hailing a patrol car. Cornered by police, the suspect dropped his knife, submitting to arrest without resistance. A drifter from Michigan, 26-year-old Joseph Danks confessed to the series of stabbings after his knife blade was matched to the wounds of his victims.

James Daveggio
couple accused of abducting, raping and murdering a 22-year-old Pleasanton woman in a minivan rigged for torture was sentenced to death Wednesday. James Daveggio, 41, and his then-girlfriend Michelle Michaud, 43, kidnapped Vanessa Lei Samson in December 1997. The Sacramento couple kept Samson inside their minivan, rigged with hooks and ropes, where they repeatedly tortured her with curling irons while driving east toward the Sierra Nevada. A motorist found Samson's body two days later, face down in the snow, about 30 feet down a embankment alongside a road in Alpine County. She had been strangled. Judge Larry Goodman ordered Wednesday morning that Daveggio be delivered to San Quentin State Prison within 10 days.

John Galen Davenport
John Galen Davenport, 39, convicted in the March 27, 1980, stabbing death of Gayle Ann Lingle, 30, of Tustin. Sentenced in 1981; Resentenced to Death again after a new penalty trial June 26, 1990.

Richard Allen Davis
Davis, 54, was convicted and sentenced to death in Santa Clara County Superior Court in 1996 for abducting Klaas from a slumber party at her mother's home on Oct. 1, 1993, and strangling her. Klaas' body was found two months later near U.S. Highway 101 in the Cloverdale area after Davis, who had been arrested for a parole violation, led investigators to the location.

Stanley Bernard Davis
Davis, 40, was convicted of shooting to death two college students, Michelle Ann Boyd, 19, and her boyfriend Brian Edward Harris, 20, in September 1985. Davis and three accomplices stole Harris' car and drove them to an area off Mulholland Drive. Police found the murder weapon, an Uzi, under the bed of one of the accomplices. Davis was convicted on the basis of the statements of that accomplice and a jailhouse tape. Davis' mental age was measured at 9 1/2 and his IQ tested at 73. His mother, Ruby Davis, said: "When Stanley was 2 1/2 he was hit by a car and thrown 15 feet. He didn't say a word for three weeks."

Richard De Hoyos
Richard Lucio DeHoyos, 40, convicted in the March, 20, 1989, killing of 9-year-old Nadia Puente of Santa Ana, kidnapped as she walked home from school. Sentenced Aug. 27, 1993.

Donald Ray Debose
Sentenced to death for the December 1997 murder of Dannie Kim, a woman from Walla Walla Washington.  Kim was shot five times then stuffed into the trunk of her car, which was then set on fire by Debose.  She died five days later at County-USC Medical Center in Los Angeles.

Omar R. Deen
Sentenced to death for the murder of his mother Rachel Deen, 59, and Calipatria police Chief J. Leonard Speer at Friday, April 10, 1998.

Ronald Deere
Was convicted in California state court in 1982, of one count of first-degree murder with special circumstances and two counts of second-degree murder. He was sentenced to death. His convictions and death sentence followed his plea of guilty to three counts of murder and his repeatedly stated, adamant desire to be punished by execution.

Skylar Deleon
Convicted and sentenced to Death in the murders of Thomas and Jackie Hawks off the coast of Catalina Island in November 2004, and for the separate murder-for-money slaying of Jon Peter Jarvi, 45, of Anaheim, in December 2003. Deleon was convicted in November of murdering the Hawkses after forcing them to sign sales documents for their 55-foot yacht, the Well Deserved. The couple were then tied to an anchor and thrown overboard. Their bodies have never been recovered. He was also convicted of slashing Jarvi's throat on Dec. 27, 2003, a day after Jarvi turned over $50,000 in cash after Deleon promised him a can't-miss investment opportunity in Mexico.

Anthony Gilbert Delgado
Received the death penalty for killing his cellmate, Frank Mendoza, and James Kevin Mahoney Jr. while serving a 25-year-to-life term in Corcoran State Prison, Kings County Judge Peter Schultz ruled on 06/21/2000.

Ronnie D. Dement
Sentenced to death for the Fresno jailhouse slaying of cellmate Gregory Andrews in April 1992.

Gregory Demetrulias
Convicted and sentenced to Death in the fatal stabbing of Robert Miller in Miller's room on the evening of
January 10, 1989. The prosecution maintained he did so while robbing Miller.Defendant at trial admitted killing Miller, but claimed he did so in a struggle Miller initiated when defendant came to collect money Miller owed him. The victim, Robert Miller, 56, lived in a second floor room at the Mar Mac Manor, a boarding house in Riverside. On January 10, 1989, around 6:45 p.m., he had dinner at the Yum Yum Restaurant, where he was a regular customer. When he paid for his meal, he took from his pocket what, to the cashier, appeared to be 2 several hundred dollars in cash. Bank records showed he had ithdrawn $480 in the preceding week and on January 17, 1989, had an account balance of $1,151. Defendant, then 35 years old, was living with his parents in Riverside. According to the parents, on the day of the crimes defendant drank a large amount of beer, may have been taking prescription drugs, and displayed an angry or hostile attitude. That evening, defendant's mother, at his request, drove him to the Round Up Bar, not far from the Mar Mac Manor. She also gave him $30 or $40. Defendant had been going to the Round Up Bar regularly over the previous month or so, as had the victim, Robert Miller. Defendant got to the Round Up Bar around 7:30 p.m. His speech slightly slurred, he ordered a beer and drank about half. He then slammed his drink on the bar, acting very upset. The bartender asked him to leave; after finishing the beer, defendant did so, stating he was going to get a beer at the Stop-and-Go convenience store next door. Through the bar window, a witness in the bar saw defendant walk back and forth between the bar parking lot and the Stop-and-Go several times over the course of the next hour and a half, drinking. About 9:30 p.m., he walked away. Robert Hanshaw, a second floor Mar Mac Manor resident like Robert Miller, testified that just before 10:00 p.m. on January 10, 1989, he was awakened by someone running up the stairs. Hanshaw heard someone say, "Give me your wallet," in a loud, demanding voice. About 45 seconds later, Hanshaw heard steps descending the stairs; Miller then came out of his room and announced: "He stabbed me in the heart. He's killed me."

Alex Demolle
Convxcted and sentenence to death in the rape/murder of July 24, 1999, when 11-year-old Jaquita Mack was raped and murdered in DeMolle's apartment in East Oakland. The special circumstances DeMolle was convicted of are murder during rape and murder while committing lewd and lascivious acts with a child. Deputy District Attorney John Brouhard told jurors in his closing argument on Monday that she went bicycling late in the afternoon of July 24, 1999, and DeMolle, who lived nearby, spotted her and lured her into his apartment in East Oakland by promising she could play video games. Brouhard said DeMolle, who has a wife and a young daughter, touched Jaquita all over her body and "the purpose of touching this girl was to get his sexual jollies with her." The prosecutor said DeMolle killed Jaquita after raping her because he didn't want to get caught, telling police, "I didn't want to be behind bars the rest of my life." DeMolle admitted to police that he strangled Jaquita with his bare hands, Brouhard said.
Daniel Horowitz, one of two attorneys who represent DeMolle, told jurors that there was reasonable doubt as to whether a rape actually occurred. Horowitz also said the authenticity of DeMolle's confession is questionable because it came while DeMolle was deprived of sleep and was full of grief and guilt. After the verdict, Horowitz said, "The puzzle of this case is that until the time of the crime Alex DeMolle was a normal person in the community." He said the incident "was not a planned crime."

Calvin Dennis
Convicted and sentenced to Death for the 2006 murders of Derrick Kellum Sr and Octavius Kellum.
The judge said the killings took place "to further the reputation of a street gang" after Dennis and two associates robbed Derrick Kellum Sr. His son, Octavius, was seated next to him in a car when both were shot Oct. 2, 2006. Dennis, 29, was convicted last year of two counts of first-degree murder, as were co-defendants Earl Lee, 41, and Reyon Ingram, 25. Jurors found true the special circumstances allegations that the father and son were killed in a gang murder and that the gunmen were lying in wait. Jurors recommended the death penalty for Dennis and Ingram, but prosecutors did not seek a death sentence for Lee. "The evidence of Dennis' guilt was compelling," Perry said, adding that a secretly taped jail recording of Dennis after his arrest bolstered that evidence. "These were senseless, unprovoked antisocial acts," the judge said. "The intentional murder of a 10-year-old child is an abhorrent act."  Along with the murders, Dennis and Ingram were convicted of robbing Kellum hours before he was killed. Lee was not charged with the robbery.
Kellum, 46, knew Dennis from their Compton neighborhood and had called him hours after the robbery to get his wallet back, according to Deputy District Attorney Geoffrey Rendon. Ingram is also on Ca. Death Row.

William Michael Dennis
William Michael Dennis convicted and sentenced to Death for the 1984 murders of his ex-wife, Doreen Rae Erbert, 31, and for "Baby Boy Erbert."  Kuty theorizes that Dennis killed his former wife as vengeance for the death of their 3-year-old son, Paul. The child drowned in 1980 in the pool at the house of Doreen Erbert and her husband, Charles. Dennis, she says, dressed up with the wolf mask and rubber "werewolf" hands to gain entrance on a night when such a costume would not look suspicious.

Anthony Dent
A gang member previously convicted of two murders was found guilty Thursday of the January 2002 shooting death of a drug dealer at a South Los Angeles crack house.
The Los Angeles Superior Court jury convicted Anthony Dent, 36, of first-degree murder in the Jan. 27, 2002, slaying of 49-year-old Vincent Williams.
Jurors also found true the special circumstance allegations of murder while lying in wait and murder to further the activities of a criminal street gang, which make Dent eligible for a death sentence.
Semtenced to Death 9/10/09.

Tim Lee Depriest
Convicted and sentenced to Death in the December 17, 1989 murder of Hong Thi Nguyen. Sentenced
to Death  May 27, 1994.

Colin Dickey
The murder victims were Fresno residents⎯Marie Caton, 76, and Louis Freiri, 67, a friend and boarder of Mrs. Caton's. Their bodies were discovered by one of Mrs. Caton's daughters, Lavelle Garratt. Mrs. Garratt or her sister checked on their mother every day, "ecause she was lonely, because she was our mother, because we loved her and we wanted to see her." Late in the afternoon of November 8, 1988, when Mrs. Garratt could not reach her mother by telephone, she drove to her house. She found Mrs. Caton on the floor of her bedroom, covered with a bloodstained blanket. Mrs. Caton was beaten so badly her eyes bulged out of their sockets like golf balls. Mrs. Caton also had knife wounds on her chest and a jagged cut on her back. She lingered for 11 days, but never regained consciousness. The cause of death was respiratory failure associated with "shock lung syndrome," the shock having been caused by her injuries.
Mr. Freiri wore a brace on his right leg and required a cane. Mrs. Garratt found him facedown, stretched across the archway between the dining room and the living room. A chair, wall, and window blinds near his body were bloodstained. Pieces of his cane were found in the living room and one of the bedrooms. Mr. Freiri had been stabbed in the chest, armpit, and forearm; he also had a bone-deep laceration on his forehead. He was stabbed with such force that two of his ribs were broken. He died of blood loss.Mrs. Garrett told the police she suspected her son, Richard Cullumber. Cullumber was, Mrs. Garratt believed, a drug addict, and he asked his grandmother Mrs. Caton for money⎯cash she would take out of a buffet drawer⎯almost every day. Mrs. Caton "grew up during the Depression and she was afraid of being hungry again, I guess, and so she hid money all over." Among other caches, Mrs. Caton kept at least $6,000 in cash in a metal box placed inside a suitcase stored under her bed. She also kept a smaller sum in another suitcase. Cullumber, also known as "R.C.," lived in an apartment in Fresno, along with defendant, Gail Goldman, Richard Buchanan, and two other men. The night of the murders Cullumber packed his bag and left the apartment. He returned several days later but fled again when informed the police were looking for him. On November 12, 1988, after a high-speed police chase, Cullumber, cornered, killed himself. The pistol Cullumber used to shoot himself was registered to Mr. Freiri. He had earlier warned the driver of a car he commandeered, "I need the car; I've already killed a woman. Two knives possibly linked to the murders were discovered in Mrs. Caton's kitchen--a butcher knife and a steak knife. The steak knife was, in the opinion of defendant's housemates Gail Goldman and RichardBuchanan, identical to a knife belonging in their apartment.
In addition to his knife wounds, Mr. Freiri had a four-inch-long ligature wound, caused by a cord that was wrapped around his neck. It was a cotton cord of the color, weave, and texture used in venetian blinds. The venetian blinds in Mrs. Caton's house were intact, but a venetian blind kept in the hall closet of the apartment defendant shared with Cullumber and the others was missing its cord.
On the night of the murders, Gene Buchanan saw defendant remove a venetian blind from the closet of their apartment, walk into the bedroom with it, and then replace it in the closet. Goldman testified it was Cullumber who had done that. Defendant's thumbprint was found on a slat from the venetian blind found by the police in the apartment closet.

James Dixon
Convicted and sentenced to Death 5/08 of first-degree murder for the killing of 20-year-old Christina Burmeister of Cerritos, who was found dead in her pickup truck -- her throat slit -- in the mountains above Azusa on Aug. 18, 2001. Henry Arnold Singer, 29, and Dixon's wife Markeisha, 26, both pleaded guilty to first-degree murder and were previously sentenced to 25 years to life in state prison. The victim was last seen alive the day before her body was found. According to investigators, she had stopped to buy cigarettes in Pomona before she was kidnapped near a Holt Avenue fraternity house.
She was kept face-down in the backseat of her truck as the trio forced her to reveal her banking information. Her abductors then drained her account and drove her into the mountains, ignoring her pleas for mercy. James Dixon is believed to have wielded the knife on the victim. DNA taken from a cigar butt found in or near her truck tied the career criminal to the crime, sheriff's Detective Philip Guzman said in 2005. Jurors found true the special circumstance allegations of murder during a robbery and murder during a kidnapping, and also convicted Dixon of raping two women in July 1996. It took the Pomona Superior Court panel less than a day to reach its death penalty recommendation.
Surveillance video from a Washington Mutual automated teller machine in Montclair showed a hooded woman believed to be Markeisha Dixon using Burmeister's ATM card to make three withdrawals.

Jasari Donaldson
Date of crime: 1998
Donaldson kidnapped Khen Tran on her way to an adult class, raped her, put her in the trunk of his car, and then set the car on fire, burning her to death. He had been out on parole only two weeks at the time. The case was solved "cold" in 2000 through a "hit" in the state's new DNA databank. At that time, Donaldson was serving sentences of more than 200 years in prison for another attempted murder and carjacking. No information is available concerning the defense approach to the case.

Keith Zon Doolin
A jury found defendant murdered prostitutes Inez Espinoza and Peggy Tucker and attempted to murder four other prostitutes between November 1994 and September 1995 in Fresno. Each surviving victim identified defendant as her assailant. One murder victim's boyfriend testified that he saw the victim get into a car that was driven away. Sometime later, the boyfriend saw defendant driving the same car, alone. Ballistics tests, tire treads, incriminating statements and other evidence also linked defendant to the crimes. The jury set defendant's penalty at death.

Martin D. Drews
Sentenced to death in Imperial County
Date of crime: 2005
Drews was an inmate at Calipatria State prison where he was serving a sentence for a murder he committed in 1983 while he was a parolee from the California Youth Authority. On the morning that a 30-day lockdown imposed at the prison due to racial tensions was lifted, Drews used a shank that was fashioned out of a piece of metal from a desk to stab to death the first black inmate he saw. Drews instructed his lawyers not to present a mitigation case.
Prosecutor(s): Roland Wayne Robinson
Defense lawyer(s): Thomas Storey, Edward Sada

Enrique Parra Duenas
Enrique Parra Duenas was convicted of the first-degree murder of Deputy Michael Hoenig, 32.  The deputy was on patrol in South Gate on Oct. 30, 1997, when he saw Duenas on a bicycle flailing his arms and acting erratically. Hoenig ordered Duenas to stop. But instead of complying, Duenas pulled
out a .45-caliber pistol and fired at Hoenig while the deputy was in his patrol car.  Duenas rendered Hoenig helpless by shooting him in the leg and hand, then shot him in the throat, about half an inch above his protective vest.

Dewey Joe Duff
Was sentenced for the Feb. 23, 1998, execution-style-murders of Roscoe Riley, 32, and Brandon Hagan, 21.

Henry Earl Duncan
Duncan was convicted in 1986 of the stabbing death of Eileen DeBaun at a Los Angeles International Airport restaurant. Sentence overturned by Ninth Circuit in 2008.

John Scott Dunkle
Dunkle's sanity has been an issue since he was arrested in 1986 for the Peninsula murders of 15-year-old John Davies and 12-year-old Lance Turner. Dunkle eventually confessed to killing Davies in 1981, Turner in 1984 and a 12-year-old boy in Sacramento in 1985.

Dean Eric Dunlap
Date of Crime:  1/10/92
Dunlap kidnapped 9-year-old Sandra Astorga on her way to school.  He raped her and held her several days.  The case was solved in 1999 due to a match with DNA he provided before a planned parole for another sexual assault.

Aaron Dunn
A judge on Tuesday affirmed a jury's death penalty recommendation for a man found guilty of a fatal March 25, 2006 Elk Grove shooting spree. Aaron Dunn was earlier found guilty of charges in connection with the shootings, which left two people dead. A judge earlier in the day denied a motion for a new trial and a request to modify the sentence from death to life without parole. The judge said the crimes committed were so horrendous that they merit death. Michael Daley and Jon Johnson were shot to death in the attack. Johnson, who went by the name "Jonny" by his friends, was a photographer for the Sacramento Kings and KTVU-TV in Oakland. Amy Rogers, Dunn's attorney, earlier said her client was a working man and treated his family well. Rogers said Dunn's marriage fell apart in 2005. She said he became depressed and started using methamphetamine and alcohol. Rogers said Dunn became paranoid and delusional, adding that a week or so before the shooting his drug use was "out of control."
Sentenced to Death 7/6/2006.

Anh The Duong
Josefino Cambosa, 54, an Atlas Security & Patrol guard from San Jose, was shot and killed about 3 p.m. March 13, 2001, as he emerged from a backroom of the Jade Galore Jewelry Co. store where he worked. Anh The Duong, 30, who is accused in seven other slayings and 15 other armed robberies, pulled the trigger while accompanied by Soewin Chan and Philip Garza, both of whom also had guns, federal prosecutors said in court documents filed this week in U.S. District Court in San Jose.
Chan and Duong had cased the jewelry store eight days before the robbery and slaying at the Cupertino Village shopping center on North Wolfe Road, the indictment says. The three men escaped with $532,650 in watches but were later identified and arrested, including Duong, who was taken into custody four months later as he played basketball at an Orange County gym. Duong was sentenced to death two years ago for killing four people at a birthday party at a nightclub in El Monte (Los Angeles County) in May 1999. Duong, who allegedly oversaw a ring of robbers that took cash, jewelry and computer parts across the state and in Las Vegas, is awaiting trial on federal racketeering charges outlined in an indictment handed down in 2001 by a federal grand jury in San Jose. That indictment accused Duong of two other Bay Area shooting deaths: the May 1997 slaying of Chau Quach, 66, during the robbery of a San Jose grocery store and the August 1998 killing of employee Hai Pin Tsai, 37, during a botched robbery at Fremont computer store Wintec Industries.

Douglas Dworak
Convicted and sentence Douglas Dworak to Deathon April 11, 2005 The Oak View man was convicted of the rape and murder of Crystal Nicole Hamilton, 18, of Oxnard on April 22, 2001.

Ernest Dykes
Earnest Dykes, 36, was convicted and sentenced to death in Alameda County Superior Court in 1995 for the first-degree murder of 9-year-old Lance Clark on July 26, 1993. Dykes was also convicted of the attempted murder of the boy's 70-year-old grandmother, Bernice Clark, who owned the Oakland apartment building where Dykes lived with his mother.  Dykes, who was 20 at the time, shot the victims in Bernice Clark's car in the apartment building parking lot while attempting to steal her wallet.

Ricky Lee Earp
Convicted and sentenced to Death in Los Angeles County of the 1988 rape and murder of eighteen-month-old Amanda Doshier. The jury convicted Earp of first-degree murder and found three death-qualifying special circumstances to be true: rape, sodomy, and lewd and lascivious conduct on a child under the age of fourteen. In the separate penalty phase, the jury recommended that Earp be put to death for his crimes. The California Superior Court ("trial court") imposed that sentence on February 21, 1992

Robert Mark Edwards
In May 1986, Edwards murdered 55-year-old realtor Marjorie Deeble in her apartment in Los Alamitos, California. Marjorie had been beaten about the head, and her nose was broken. She was found in a nightgown on the floor with her hands tied behind her back with part of her nightgown and a telephone cord. Her head, neck, and shoulders were suspended about 6 inches off the floor by a noose formed by a belt and tied to the top drawer of a chest. Marks on her ankles indicated she may have had her legs tied at one time, and adhesive tape residue was found on her cheeks, suggesting a gag. Both of Marjorie's eardrums were lacerated or torn. She had been sexually assaulted vaginally with a mousse can at some point. Some items of jewelry were missing from her residence. Edwards was dating Marjorie's daughter at the time.

Michael Lee Elliot
Convicted and sentenced to Death in the 1994 murder of Sherri Gandy.
Sherri Gandy was killed at her workplace, the Black Stallion bar in Orangevale, California, between 2:00 a.m. and 3:00 a.m. on June 1, 1994. Gandy was the evening bartender at the Black Stallion. She worked the 6:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m. shift, and was responsible for closing the establishment. Gandy suffered at least 82 knife wounds to her body. She also had been shot four times in the head.

Marchand Elliott
Elliott shot Patrick Rooney, 35, once in the head as the guard was walking to his armored car after making a cash pickup at a market on Lakewood Boulevard in Bellflower on Dec. 15, 1988. Elliott took Rooney's money bag. He was sentenced to death in 1992.

Sonny Enraca

Scott Erskine
Date of crime: 3/27/1993
Charlie Keever and Jonathan Sellers (ages 13 and 9) were molested, tortured and strangled to death by Erskine; Sellers' body was discovered hanging from a tree. The case went unsolved for eleven years until new DNA analysis linked Erskine to the killings. When Erskine was charged with the boys' murders he was already serving a 70-year sentence for rape. He had an additional long history of sex crimes. Erskine also pleaded guilty to murdering a woman in Florida in 1989. The defense did not contest the killing, but asked the jury to spare Erskine life because he suffered from a brain injury when he was hit by a car at age five. The defense argued the injury caused Erskine to lose the ability to stop sexual

Curtis Lee Ervin
November 7, 1986. Carlene McDonald was kidnapped from her home in El Sobrante and stabbed to death at Tilden Park. Curtis Lee Ervin was paid $2,500 by McDonald's ex-husband, Robert McDonald, for the murder. Ervin was assisted by Arestes Robinson. McDonald and Robinson died in prison. In 2000 the state Supreme Court upheld the death penalty for Ervin.

Dennis Newton Ervine
Was found guilty of the first degree murder of Lassen County Sheriff deputy Larry Griffith during an incident in the Ravendale area in March 1995.     

Antonio Espinoza
Renee Rontal and Nancy Rubia, both age 13, were found dead in an irrigation ditch west of Stockton on January 25, 1982. Renee's throat had been cut, Nancy had been drowned as a result of having her face forced into the muddy water of the ditch, and both girls had been sexually assaulted. Renee and Nancy were last seen alive with two men: Antonio Espinoza and Alfredo Reyes-Reyes. Sentenced to Death 1986.

Johnny Espinoza
Along with his associates, maliciously shot to death a three-year-old girl and the 14-year-old boy who was trying to protect her while they were seated in a car. The targets were rival gang members who survived the incident. Fifty shots were fired into the car. Two years later, Espinoza single-handedly killed an 18-year-old boy by shooting him in the back of the head.

Susan Eubanks
convicted Eubanks of four counts of first-degree murder for the Oct. 26, 1997, shooting deaths of her four sons ---- Brandon Armstrong, 14, Austin Eubanks, 7, Brigham Eubanks, 6, and Matthew Eubanks, 4  at their San Marcos home. Superior Court Judge Joan Weber sentenced Eubanks do death Oct. 13, 1999.

Christopher Evans
In a case that moved at a snail's pace, jurors convicted Christopher Evans, 36, on July 16, 2009 of one count of first-degree murder for the death of hairdresser Tina Marie Rose, 28, and one count of second-degree murder for the death of Tommy Lee Brown, 41, in a shooting at Rose's salon near the corner of 85th Avenue and International Boulevard in Oakland on April 27, 2001. Jurors also found Evans guilty of the special circumstance of committing multiple murders. At the conclusion of the penalty phase of Evans' trial on Nov. 23, after two days of deliberations, the same jurors recommended the death penalty for Evans.
Sentenced to Death 4/23/10.

Steve Evans
Convicted and sentence to death 7/08 in the 2003 murder of 24-year-old Jeannette Elias. The 54-year-old Hawthorne father noted outside the courtroom that, according to testimony, his daughter was stabbed more than 22 times, but authorities just stopped counting the wounds at that number.  Three of the wounds were fatal. Evans, 61, was convicted July 22 of first-degree murder and the special circumstance allegations of murder during attempted rape and during sexual penetration with a foreign object by force. He was also convicted of attempted forcible rape and sexual penetration by a foreign object by force. He assaulted the woman and tried to rape her before stabbing her with several knives, including a meat cleaver and a butcher knife, said Farrah Emami of the Orange County District Attorney's Office. The victim was found fully clothed, but her hard plastic driver's license was found folded into fifths inside her vagina, and DNA from Evans' saliva was found on the victim's breasts.

Go Up