California Death Penalty News

Started by Jeff1857, April 10, 2008, 02:16:30 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

63Wildcat

Cali just needs to wake up and smell the electricity in the air..the cocktail on the table..but I'm afraid they never will...
"..the death of any public servant or innocent is a tragedy... the death of a murderer is a mere statistic..."  -63Wildcat

AS OF TOMORROW I'M TURNING GRAVITY OFF...

Hutchsmash

This seems like another case of liberal lawmakers and judges doing everything they can to subvert the will of the people.  Get off your soapboxes and do what the people demand!  >:(
"How come life in prison doesn't mean life? Until it does, we're not ready to do away with the death penalty. Stop thinking in terms of "punishment" for a minute and think in terms of safeguarding innocent people from incorrigible murderers."

JESSE VENTURA, I Ain't Got Time to Bleed

Lloyd

If other states are lawfully using lethal injection, and by doing so are not in violation of the U.S. Constitution, then where on this planet is California?

Well unfortunately it isn't about 100 miles further west into the Pacific Ocean than it currently is.  But maybe soon.   ???

Ok I'm just kidding.   ;D ;D  Lighten up.     :-*

Aussie4DR

If other states are lawfully using lethal injection, and by doing so are not in violation of the U.S. Constitution, then where on this planet is California?

Well unfortunately it isn't about 100 miles further west into the Pacific Ocean than it currently is.  But maybe soon.   ???

Ok I'm just kidding.   ;D ;D  Lighten up.     :-*

Good One  ;D
Thanks for your time
And you can thank me for mine
And after that's said
Forget it.

kanga

Hang on guys!

If any disaster in Cal makes a wave big enough, a lot of their crap may end up on the east coast of Australia.

Thats very scary!  ;D ;D ;D

JeffB

2 lawmakers team up to oppose new Death Row

Bob Egelko, Chronicle Staff Writer

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Two legislators from opposing parties and with opposite views on the death penalty joined Tuesday to propose cutting off funding for a new $395 million Death Row at San Quentin, calling it a boondoggle that a financially strapped state can't afford.

"The Death Row expansion is a bottomless money pit," said state Sen. Jeff Denham, R-Atwater (Merced County).

"We should use this opportunity, with the state running out of cash, to step back and rethink this project," said Assemblyman Jared Huffman, D-San Rafael, who joined Denham at a news conference in front of the aging Marin County prison. He referred to the project as a "Cadillac Death Row" and said many condemned inmates could be safely housed at other prisons during their decades of appeals.

Denham, who supports capital punishment, has been trying for years to get the state to sell the buildings and grounds at San Quentin and build a new Death Row on cheaper land elsewhere.

Both he and Huffman, who opposes the death penalty, plan to introduce bills today to eliminate the funding that legislators approved for the new condemned quarters at San Quentin in the 2008-09 state budget.

Any such rollback would need Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's approval. Huffman said the governor insisted that money for the project be part of the budget agreement he signed in September after a record 85-day deadlock.

Of the 677 prisoners sentenced to death in California, 637 are housed at San Quentin, said Corrections Department spokesman Seth Unger. He said some buildings in the current Death Row cluster date from the 1930s.

The new facility "will allow us to keep all of our condemned inmates in one place," with greater security and better access to legal research material that the prisoners are entitled to use, Unger said. He said bidding on contracts is planned next month, with construction scheduled to start in March and be completed in September 2011.

Huffman, however, pointed to a state auditor's report in July that found the cost of the project had increased by $40 million over earlier estimates, and that the 20-year operating cost would be $1.2 billion.

The auditor said there would be room for 1,152 prisoners, enough capacity until 2035, if most of them can be housed two per cell as the state proposes. But Huffman said the state has never double-celled Death Row inmates. He predicted that a legal challenge would succeed and that the facility would run out of space by 2014.

"This project is hugely expensive and has a shelf life of three years," the assemblyman said. If double-celling is blocked in court, he added, "they have no contingency plan."

E-mail Bob Egelko at begelko@sfchronicle.com.

This article appeared on page B - 5 of the San Francisco Chronicle
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, put two death row inmates per cell....  That would probably eliminate 1/2 of death rows population...  hahah   ;)

"SO SUCK IT YOU "BLUE COOLER" DOPE!"  -  Sylar24

Jeff1857

State decides to seek public input on execution plan

California officials have abandoned a legal fight over their bid to secretly overhaul the state's execution method, a move that sends the issue back to square one and leaves San Quentin's newly-constructed execution chamber idled for the foreseeable future.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's administration decided not to appeal November's ruling by a state appeals court, which found that prison officials failed to follow proper administrative procedures when they attempted to revise California's lethal injection method without any public input.. State lawyers had until Dec. 31 to appeal to the state Supreme Court, but have decided instead to follow the administrative rules and put the execution plan through public review, likely including public hearings.

Deputy Attorney General Michael Quinn, who is handling the issue for the state, had no timetable on the administrative hearings, saying officials are now evaluating how to move forward. Brad Phillips, who represents 2 death row inmates in the case, could not be reached for comment Tuesday.

The latest development marks another tangle in California's bid to overcome various legal challenges to its execution method and resume lethal injections on the state's death row, which now houses about 770 condemned murderers. Executions have been on hold for nearly 3 years, the result of a federal court challenge to the lethal injection method, which death row inmates argue is inhumane.

A federal judge in San Jose 2 years ago found the state's lethal injection procedures "broken,'' but invited state officials to devise improvements, ranging from upgrading the training of execution team members to replacing San Quentin's antiquated death chamber. Prison officials and the governor responded with new execution procedures, but those were challenged separately in state court because of the failure to expose them to public review.

In the meantime, prison officials completed construction of a new execution chamber.

The end of the state court battle does not end the legal wrangling over lethal injections. The federal court case remains on hold until the state comes up with a valid plan to improve the way executions are carried out. Even when the administrative hearings are complete and the state finalizes new procedures, they will face further scrutiny in the federal case, ensuring more delays.

John Grele, who represents death row inmate Michael Morales in the federal case, could not predict how the administrative review will impact the ongoing challenge to lethal injection.

"I can't really say if it's a positive or negative,'' Grele said. "It depends on how things go through that process.''

(source: Mercury News)
------------------------------------------------------------------
Apparently there will be no more Cali executions in the foreseeable future.

Heidi Salazar

January 07, 2009, 06:41:16 AM Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 12:53:32 PM by gabenga
[Cuss removed] THUGHUGGERS!!!....The people of CA spend more time on their STARBUCKS order than their votes that count!! The "TERMINATOR"= "MEAT HEAD"  "Da people hav spoke Da people don't want def" Tell your prosecutors that!! Cali must have close 700 DR inmates. WTF??

Aussie4DR

Those inept bureaucrats should be wholeheartedly ashamed of themselves.
What a disgrace.
Thanks for your time
And you can thank me for mine
And after that's said
Forget it.

Moh

January 09, 2009, 09:05:12 AM Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 06:13:11 AM by Moh
Well, here's some out-of-date (June 30, 2008) information on the status of California DR-inmate appeals:

343 are on direct appeal to the California Supreme Court.
103 are in the state-habeas stage.
121 are in the federal-habeas stage in US District Court.
16 are in the Ninth Circuit--of which, three have lost at the three-judge panel level: Albert Brown (cert pending), Kevin Cooper (petition for rehearing pending) and Scott Pinholster (petition for rehearing to be filed).
Four have lost in the Ninth and been denied cert: Stevie Fields, Michael Morales, David Raley and Mitchell Sims.

Once all the LI issues have been resolved, California may well have an avalanche of executions.

The info above can be found on pp. 116-18 at: http://www.ccfaj.org/documents/reports/dp/official/FINAL%20REPORT%20DEATH%20PENALTY.pdf

JeffB

Once all the LI issues have been resolved, California may well have an avalanche of executions.

Damn, wouldn't that be great....  Justice would finally be served for so many people who are currently being denied justice...   8)
"SO SUCK IT YOU "BLUE COOLER" DOPE!"  -  Sylar24

Michael

You´re so right Jeff. But I heard since a few weeks there´s a tough supporter of the DP in Cali. I hope she´ll pushes the whole exevcution proces.  :)

Michael
I´m not sure if there´s a hell, but I believe in executed murderers.

Moh

You´re so right Jeff. But I heard since a few weeks there´s a tough supporter of the DP in Cali. I hope she´ll pushes the whole exevcution proces.  :)

Michael

Sorry, Michael, I don't understand what you've written.

Michael

Pam/ScoopD moved to Cali a few weeks ago.

Michael
I´m not sure if there´s a hell, but I believe in executed murderers.

JT

January 18, 2009, 05:56:00 PM Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 06:02:13 PM by JT
"The Death Row expansion is a bottomless money pit," said state Sen. Jeff Denham, R-Atwater (Merced County).

"We should use this opportunity, with the state running out of cash, to step back and rethink this project," said Assemblyman Jared Huffman, D-San Rafael, who joined Denham at a news conference in front of the aging Marin County prison. He referred to the project as a "Cadillac Death Row" and said many condemned inmates could be safely housed at other prisons during their decades of appeals.

Denham, who supports capital punishment, has been trying for years to get the state to sell the buildings and grounds at San Quentin and build a new Death Row on cheaper land elsewhere.

In fact, I kinda agree with Sen. Denham here.  The death row expansion at San Quentin is extremely expensive, especially when we consider that even if/when the lethal injection debacle is sorted, the State will have an insurmountable task on its hands to execute all 600+ current occupants.  This means that the new death row facility is, in effect, just a posh LWOP facility.

It would be cost efficient to buy some land over in the Mojave desert and house them all there.  There is plenty of land in that area where you can drive for miles and see nothing.  And it's hot.  Then, when a scumbag is ripe for execution, he can be driven over to San Quentin.  Or, indeed, they could build a death chamber in the new facility and wax the inmates there.

Just a few months ago, the Governator had to run cap in hand to the Feds because the State was close to bankruptcy - all those posh social programs had drained the piggy bank dry.  Cutting corners in providing for death row inmates would be a fantastic way to save precious funds for more deserving citizens.
JT's Ridiculous Quote of the Century:
"I'm disgusted with the State for even putting me in this position."
-- Reginald Blanton, Texas death row.  As of October 27, 2009, Reggie's position has been in a coffin.

Go Up