Florida Death Penalty News

Started by Jeff1857, November 02, 2007, 03:05:54 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

JTiscool

Justice will be carried out soon.
My reason for supporting the death penalty? A murderer has less of a right to live than his victim and already presents a danger while incarcerated for life. They have nothing to lose when the most they can get is Life in prison without parole.

Grinning Grim Reaper

State Rep. files bill to add firing squad to death penalty laws

State Rep. Brad Drake filed a bill Tuesday that would eliminate lethal injection as a method for execution in Florida. Instead, people facing the death penalty would be allowed to choose execution by firing squad.

Electrocution still would be allowed under the bill.

Drake, R-Eucheeanna, said in a news release issued Tuesday night that he filed the bill in response to debate over the effectiveness of certain drugs used in lethal injection executions.

"So, I say let's end the debate," he said in the release. "We still have Old Sparky. And if that doesn't suit the criminal, then we will provide them a .45 caliber lead cocktail instead."  ;D

In the release, Drake said the bill was in reaction to a group of doctors and legal experts who had been asking Gov. Rick Scott for a stay of execution for Manuel Valle, a 61-year-old man convicted of murder in the death of a law enforcement officer in Miami in 1978.

Valle was executed late last month after 33 years on death row. He was the first Florida inmate executed using pentobarbital as the first of three drugs in the injection.

His lawyers questioned the drug, saying it had not been tested for use to render an inmate unconscious.

"I am sick and tired of this sensitivity movement for criminals," Drake said. "Every time there is a warranted execution that is about to take place, some man or woman is standing on a corner holding a sign, yelling and screaming for humane treatment. (  8) Yeah baby!)

"I have no desire to humanely respect those that are inhumane," he said in the release. :D :D

(source: Panama City New-Herald)

Vengence is mine saith the Lord...who are we to question the instruments used to carry it out?

Russki

Brad Drake sounds like my kind of person. He has a great plan. I still feel less comfortable with an X after 33 years though. That is absolutely MAD.

Frenchy
Bombs do not choose. They will hit everything   ... Nikita Khrushchev

I once said, "We will bury you," and I got into trouble with it. Of course we will not bury you with a shovel. Your own working class will bury you.  ... Nikita Khrushchev

JTiscool

Let's see the antis choke on that  :P :P :P :P

Hopefully more states with LI problems take note. Yeah, I'm looking at you California, Kansas, and North Carolina >_>
My reason for supporting the death penalty? A murderer has less of a right to live than his victim and already presents a danger while incarcerated for life. They have nothing to lose when the most they can get is Life in prison without parole.

Grinning Grim Reaper

Let's see the antis choke on that      

Amen brother...show the scumbag a stout length of rope and he would give pentobarbital his blessing!  8)
Vengence is mine saith the Lord...who are we to question the instruments used to carry it out?

Angelstorms OL'Man

October 12, 2011, 10:45:30 PM Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 07:36:50 PM by khirschkorn
you For got Oregon, an  Inmate here  has to beg to be put down... But  yet we have a suicide law giving any one the right to get the drugs to do it.

Let's see the antis choke on that  :P :P :P :P

Hopefully more states with LI problems take note. Yeah, I'm looking at you California, Kansas, and North Carolina >_>
This was designed to hurt....Its a SEAL Candace unless you have been there yo will never understand...

JTiscool

Well we all know the antis will find somwthing wrong with this method. Oh noes the bullet wasn't silver enough  ::)

JeffB

October 13, 2011, 10:27:30 PM Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 12:18:58 AM by Granny B
"I am sick and tired of this sensitivity movement for criminals," Drake said. "Every time there is a warranted execution that is about to take place, some man or woman is standing on a corner holding a sign, yelling and screaming for humane treatment. (   Yeah baby!)

"I have no desire to humanely respect those that are inhumane," he said in the release. 

Outstanding...  We need an emoticon of applause or clapping added..   8) 
"SO SUCK IT YOU "BLUE COOLER" DOPE!"  -  Sylar24

Granny B

October 14, 2011, 12:17:16 AM Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 12:24:00 AM by Granny B

State Rep. Brad Drake:  "So, I say let's end the debate," he said in the release. "We still have Old Sparky. And if that doesn't suit the criminal, then we will provide them a .45 caliber lead cocktail instead."

But I really loved this statement by him: "I have no desire to humanely respect those that are inhumane," he said in the release.

Whooo hoooo!  A man after my own heart.  He made mine go pitty pat with his statements.  I think I'm in love! ;)

" Closure? Closure is a misused word in the English language.  There is no such thing as closure for the family of a murder victim.  There will never be any closure for the death of our loved ones until we are dead ourselves.  The families have a lifetime sentence of anguish and sadness." 
Susan Levy

Grinning Grim Reaper

Paul Michael Merhige sentenced to 7 life sentences for Thanksgiving night massacre

By: WPTV Web Team
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - Before Circuit Judge Joseph Marx made his decision to accept a plea deal sparing Paul Michael Merhige the death penalty, he was begged to do the opposite.

"Please don't accept this plea," said Jim Sitton, father of Makayla Sitton, one of Merhige's victims. "Don't snatch what little we have left in our lives and that is justice for our little girl."

But the judge said he didn't think he had any discretion in the plea hearing.

After listening to another witness, he sentenced Merhige to seven consecutive life terms.

"He will never see the light of day," Judge Marx said.

The plea deal ends a long chapter in the case against Merhige, who was arrested in January of 2010 after killing four of his own family members two months earlier.

On Thanksgiving night in 2009, Merhige shot and killed his 33-year-old twin sisters, Carla Merhige and Lisa Knight, his 76-year-old aunt Raymonde Joseph [Muriel Sitton's mother] and 6-year-old Makayla, his cousin's daughter.

The judge told Jim Sitton and his wife Muriel not to let the events of that Thanksgiving night define who they are.

During the hearing, Merhige withdrew his previous plea of 'not guilty.' He also waived his insanity defense.

Sitton, who is a photojournalist for WPTV, said he and his wife Muriel wanted prosecutors to take the case to trial so Merhige could face the death penalty for murdering their daughter and Muriel's mother; something they believe would bring them much-needed justice.

To Sitton, this deal was "cheap" and didn't make sense.

"My daughter was innocently tucked into her bed [on the night of the murder]. She didn't have a chance to plead for her life," Sitton said. "Why should [Merhige] have the chance to beg for his?"

Palm Beach County State Attorney Michael McAuliffe said in a written release that he determined that Merhige's offer to plead guilty to all counts of the indictment and accept seven consecutive life sentences without the possibility of parole was an appropriate resolution to the case.

"The guilty pleas and sentence meet the most important criteria for justice - they result in a public and final admission of responsibility for all crimes and in the most severe punishment possible short of death," McAuliffe said.

Sitton said the second he heard Judge Marx was going to accept the plea, "tears started to flow."

"The one thing that really upsets me in this case is we have a good case," Sitton said. "We just don't have a good state attorney."

Read more: http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/live-updates-from-the-paul-merhige-plea-hearing-in-west-palm-beach#ixzz1c6MxV4e1

Appropriate resolution...APPROPRIATE RESOLUTION?  Why do you even have the death penalty if it's not used here?  >:(

Granny B

I feel their grief and pain at being robbed of the appropriate penalty for this baby and family murderer. :'( :'( :'(
" Closure? Closure is a misused word in the English language.  There is no such thing as closure for the family of a murder victim.  There will never be any closure for the death of our loved ones until we are dead ourselves.  The families have a lifetime sentence of anguish and sadness." 
Susan Levy

Elric of Melnibone

I think the judge in this case was very cruel.  He robbed these people of justice but then again...

This guy is going to be in general population in a prison.  And prisoners do look at the news.  I bet he will make someone a fine wife.
You can lead an ass to water and if you fight long and hard, you can make it drink.  But at the end of the day, after all the fighting, it is still an ass.

Banned from PTO 3 times so far for life.

Granny B

I hope what he makes while in general population is hamburger meat, and they feed him to the vultures.
Susan Levy

SetonHallPirate

Somebody, please remind me to vote Michael McAuliffe out at the next opportunity!

Go Up