Aaron Hernandez Guilty of Murder One Gets LWOP

Started by Grinning Grim Reaper, April 15, 2015, 06:23:30 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Grinning Grim Reaper

Ex-NFL Player Aaron Hernandez Convicted of Murder, Gets Life

FALL RIVER, Mass. -- Apr 15, 2015, 1:45 PM ET

By MICHELLE R. SMITH Associated Press

Former New England Patriots star Aaron Hernandez was convicted of first-degree murder and sentenced to life in prison Wednesday in a deadly late-night shooting, sealing the downfall of an athlete who once had a $40 million contract and a standout career ahead of him.

Hernandez, 25, looked to his right, pursed his lips and sat down after the jury forewoman pronounced him guilty in the slaying of Odin Lloyd, a 27-year-old landscaper and amateur weekend football player who was dating the sister of Hernandez's fiancee. The conviction carries a mandatory sentence of life without parole and automatically triggers an appeal to Massachusetts' highest court.

Hernandez's mother, Terri, and his fiancee, Shayanna Jenkins, cried and gasped when they heard the verdict, and Lloyd's mother also cried. Jenkins wept loudly on his mother's shoulder. Hernandez, his eyes red, mouthed to them: "Be strong. Be strong."

The former football pro was also found guilty on weapons charges. Jurors deliberated for 36 hours over seven days before rendering their verdict.

"The jury found that he was just a man who committed a brutal murder," District Attorney Thomas Quinn said. "The fact that he was a professional athlete meant nothing in the end."

For reasons that were never made clear to the jury, Lloyd was shot six times in the middle of the night on June 17, 2013, in a deserted industrial park near Hernandez's home in North Attleborough.

Police almost immediately zeroed in on Hernandez because they found in Lloyd's pocket the key to a car the NFL player had rented. Within hours of Hernandez's arrest, the Patriots cut the former Pro Bowl athlete, who was considered one of the top tight ends in the game.

Prosecutors presented a wealth of evidence that Hernandez was with Lloyd at the time he was killed, including home security video from Hernandez's mansion, witness testimony and cellphone records that tracked Lloyd's movements.

Hernandez's lawyer, James Sultan, acknowledged for the first time during closing arguments that Hernandez was there when Lloyd was killed.

But the attorney pinned the shooting on two of Hernandez's friends, Ernest Wallace and Carlos Ortiz, saying his client was a "23-year-old kid" who witnessed a shocking crime and didn't know what to do. Wallace and Ortiz will stand trial later.

Prosecutors have suggested Lloyd may have been killed because he knew too much about Hernandez's alleged involvement in a deadly 2012 drive-by shooting in Boston. But they were not allowed to tell the jury that because the judge said it was speculation.

As a result, they never offered a motive beyond saying Hernandez appeared angry with Lloyd at a nightclub two nights before the killing.

In the 2012 case, Hernandez is accused of gunning down two men over a spilled drink at a nightclub.

All 12 jurors and three alternates spoke to reporters Wednesday, saying they were shocked by the defense admission that Hernandez was at the scene of the killing -- an admission that they said helped confirm that he was guilty.

They also described how the judge talked to them privately after they reached their decision and told them about other allegations and evidence not presented in the case, including the 2012 slayings and the last text Lloyd sent minutes before he died that said he was "with NFL."

The jurors said that information also reaffirmed their feeling that they had made the right decision.

www.abcnews.com
Vengence is mine saith the Lord...who are we to question the instruments used to carry it out?

Grinning Grim Reaper

Aaron Hernandez, former NFL player, found dead in prison cell, officials say

Aaron Hernandez, the former New England Patriots star who was convicted of murder in 2015, killed himself in his prison cell Wednesday morning, officials said.

Hernandez, 27, was found hanging in his cell by corrections officers around 3:05 a.m. at the Souza Baranowski Correctional Center, Massachusetts Department of Correction officials said in a statement.

He was pronounced dead an hour later.

Hernandez was in a single cell in a general population housing unit and hanged himself with a bed sheet attached to his cell window. He also tried blocking his door from the inside with various items, officials said.

An investigation was ongoing.

Hernandez was not on a suicide watch and authorities had yet to find any suicide note in his cell, The Boston Globe reported. Officials said Hernandez had given no indication he might try to take his own life.

"If he had made any kind of statement, he would have not been in that unit,'' Department of Correction spokesperson Christopher Fallon said.

The death of the once-promising NFL tight end came almost two years to the day when he was convicted of first-degree murder in the death of semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd. The 15th selection in the 2010 NFL draft,

Hernandez was arrested in August 2013 in connection with Lloyd's June 2013 death.

On April 14, Hernandez was found not guilty in a double homicide separate from the Lloyd case; however, he was already serving a life sentence without the possibility of parole in connection with Lloyd's murder.

The disgraced NFL star played three seasons with the Patriots, scoring 18 touchdowns and forming a fierce tight end tandem with Rob Gronkowski. He had two touchdowns in six playoff games, including eight catches for 67 yards and a touchdown in the Patriots' Super Bowl XLVI loss to the Giants.

But his seemingly ascendant career came crashing down when police began investigating Lloyd's murder and eventually came to finger Hernandez as the trigger man. The Patriots quickly cut Hernandez from the team prior to the 2013 season.

The Patriots had yet to comment on the death of Hernandez, but the team was set to be at the White House on Wednesday in honor of their Super Bowl LI victory.

www.foxnews.com

There sure has been a bunch of thugs whacking themselves lately. 8)
Vengence is mine saith the Lord...who are we to question the instruments used to carry it out?

Grinning Grim Reaper

Aaron Hernandez murder conviction thrown out by judge

A judge has agreed to erase Aaron Hernandez's conviction in a 2013 murder case because he died before his appeal was heard.

Judge E. Susan Garsh ruled Tuesday that a legal doctrine that calls for vacating convictions when a defendant dies before the appeal was binding precedent. She said she was compelled to follow it.

Bristol County District Attorney Thomas M. Quinn III said he plans to appeal the ruling and is willing to take the case all the way to the Massachusetts Supreme Court.

"Despite the tragic ending to Aaron Hernandez's life, he should not reap the legal benefits of an antiquated rule," Quinn said. "State and federal courts from across the country have rejected this antiquated rule. Massachusetts, in my opinion, needs to follow suit."

A lawyer for Hernandez's estate had asked the judge to overturn the conviction after the former New England Patriots tight end hanged himself in his prison cell last month. He was serving a life sentence in the killing of semiprofessional football player Odin Lloyd.

Appellate attorney John Thompson maintained that a conviction is not considered final until it is decided by a higher court.

Ursula Ward, Lloyd's mother, said the judge's decision will not affect her view on Hernandez's culpability and what happened to her son.

"In our book, he's guilty and he's going to always be guilty," Ward said of Hernandez. "But I know, I know one day I'm going to see my son, and that's the victory that I have and I am going to take with me. I am waiting for my master to say, 'Well done, my good and faithful servant, and welcome to the joys of my kingdom.' And that's when I'll see my baby again. ...

"I am not giving up. When [God] says the battle is over, the battle is over. So I'm holding on until He tells me to give up."

Lloyd's family could still proceed with a wrongful death lawsuit against Hernandez's estate, despite the ruling.

Prosecutors had said that dismissing the murder conviction would reward Hernandez's decision to take his own life. Prosecutor Patrick Bomberg had argued that Hernandez "should not be able to accomplish in death what he could not accomplish in life."

Garsh rejected the argument that Hernandez had forfeited his right to appeal by taking his own life, saying no one can ever know for sure why Hernandez killed himself.

Following Garsh's ruling, Thompson told reporters he still has doubts about whether Hernandez did kill himself. He also raised a question about the official manner of death during Tuesday's court hearing.

Thompson said he had recent correspondence from Hernandez in which he said he was interested in pursuing an appeal. The attorney also said because Hernandez died in prison, it will be difficult to definitively determine how he died.

Hernandez died five days after being acquitted in a separate double slaying in 2012. The lead attorney in the double murder trial, Jose Baez, has pledged to do an independent investigation into Hernandez's death.

State police said in an investigative report that Hernandez was found naked on April 19 and hanging from a bed sheet tied around the window bars of his cell. Correction officers found that cardboard had been shoved into the tracks of Hernandez's cell door to prevent the door from opening. Hernandez also had put shampoo on the floor to make it slippery, the report states.

An autopsy performed by the state medical examiner's office determined the cause of Hernandez's death was asphyxia by hanging and the manner of death was suicide.

Hernandez, who grew up in Bristol, Connecticut, and played football at Florida, was considered an up-and-coming star during his three seasons with the Patriots. He was cut from the team hours after his arrest in the killing of Lloyd.

www.espn.com

Well I doubt this will bring him back to life.   8)

Observer

The conviction may have been thrown out by the judge, but Hernandez didn't get both feet down in time so its incomplete!

Go Up