Listing of California Death Row Inmates H - I

Started by Jeff1857, May 24, 2009, 07:56:19 AM

previous topic - next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Go Down


May 24, 2009, 07:56:19 AM Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 09:37:43 PM by Jeff1857
Stephen Hajak
Stephen Hajek and Loi Tan Vo had been sentenced to death for the 1991 murder of Si Chieh Hung by garroting her with a rope and slashing her throat.

Brian Hale

Kevin Haley
The Haley brothers made a lethal team. Born in 1960 and 1964, respectively, Reginald and Kevin did everything together, sharing drugs and women, ultimately joining forces in a two-man crime wave that would terrorize Los Angeles. Spurred on by what detectives called "a burning cocaine habit," the brothers would participate in an estimated 500 burglaries, 60 rapes, and eight murders over a five-year period ending with their arrest in 1984. The first to die, in the official tally, was 90-year- old Isabel Burton, beaten to death by the men who looted and ransacked her home on April 20, 1983. Exactly one year later, celebrating the event, 78-year-old D. Robinoff was beaten, raped and murdered in her small L.A. apartment. The brothers missed Willa Gerber, bungling a streetcorner abduction on May 12, but they rebounded five days later, gunning down 15- year-old Jodie Samuels as she ran to catch a school bus. After their brief excursion into street violence, the brothers reverted to type, victimizing older women in their homes. Laverne Stolzy, 56, was raped and slain on June 26, followed by the beating death of 79-year-old Elizabeth Burns and the strangulation of 89-year-old Elizibeth Karp. August's victim was T. Okauchi, 88, bludgeoned to death in her looted home, with 55-year-old Dolores Clement raped and murdered on September 27. Arrested on October 11, 1984, the brothers cracked swiftly under interrogation, providing graphic details of previously unreported rapes. In addition to Kevin's various murder charges, the Haley's would rack up 42 felony charges involving 24 separate victims. Reginald led the field, with four counts of robbery, two burglaries, two rapes, two counts of sodomy, two of oral copulation, two sexual assaults, one kidnapping, and one auto theft. Kevin faced trial on thirteen burglaries, one robbery, one attempted rape, and one count of oral copulation. The brothers were jointly charged with six robberies, two kidnappings, one rape, and one count of sodomy. On August 8, 1987, Reginald Haley was convicted on 20 counts, drawing a sentence of 60 years plus one term of life imprisonment. While theoretically eligible for parole after 30 years, it seems unlikely he will ever walk the streets again. In June 1988, brother Kevin was convicted of murder, rape, sodomy, robbery and burglary in the Dolores Clement case, his jury fixing the penalty at death.

Arthur Hans Halvorsen
Halvorsen was convicted of the 1985 murders of Vicente Perez and Calvin Ferguson, but the jury couldn't decide hHalvorsen landed on death row because of a rampage through L.A. County on March 31, 1985, after spending several hours drinking in a Long Beach bar. About 5 p.m., he drove to an acquaintance's house and shot the acquaintance's roommate. He then drove to a trucking company where he used to work and murdered Perez and Ferguson. Witnesses testified that Ferguson had met Halvorsen a few times but that Halvorsen and Perez had never met. The jury couldn't decide how to punish him for killing Perez. A second jury later sentenced Halvorsen to death for that murder.

Alexander Rashad Hamilton
Convicted and sentenced to Death in 2007 for the April 23,2005 murder of Pittsburg police Officer Larry Lasater. Andrew Moffett, who was not the shooter but was convicted under California's felony murder rule, was 17 on April 23, 2005, when he and co-defendant Alexander Hamilton, 18 at the time, had a friend steal a car for them and went into the Raley's supermarket in Pittsburg wearing gloves, masks and carrying semi-automatic pistols. At the supermarket, Moffett pressed his gun to one of the cashier's ears, demanded cash and threatened to kill her. He and Hamilton threatened to kill at least two other cashiers and tellers at the Wells Fargo branch bank inside the store before fleeing with the cash, witnesses testified during trial. As the two teens were making their getaway, they crashed the stolen car and took off on foot through backyards and over fences. Eventually they ended up on the Delta De Anza trail as police closed in on them.  Moffett jumped a fence and kept running, but Hamilton was too tired and hid in the bushes. He started shooting when he saw Lasater, 35, the first officer to arrive on scene. Two bullets struck him and he went down. When two more police officers, who happened to be identical twins, went to help Lasater, Hamilton fired at them, too, but missed. According to prosecutor Harold Jewett, Hamilton kept firing until he ran out of bullets and was forced to surrender.

Bernard Hamilton
Convicted and sentenced to Death for the 1979 kidnapping and murder of  Eleanore Buchanan after she left a night college math class in San Diego. He dismembered her body, disposed of her headless and handless corpse in California, and drove to Texas and Oklahoma where he was caught driving her stolen van. Defendant represented himself at the penalty retrial; throughout the trial, however, counsel appointed to assist defendant conducted the majority of the voir dire, examination, and arguments.
Resentenced to Death in 1997.

Michael Hamilton
On November 2nd, 1981, at the junction near Terra Bella and Highway 65 in Tulare County,
California, a gruesome discovery was made at around 10:30 p.m. A young woman was discovered murdered in a white GMC Pickup truck. The young woman, found by her husband, had been
shot twice with a shotgun. Michael was immediately detained and questioned for three days and then released because it is common for authorities to suspect the spouse in such murders. He was later rearrested on November 17th 1981, charged and convicted a year later for the murder of his wife Gwendolyn and their unborn son.
Update: California Supreme Court Tossed Death Sentence 9/18/09.

James E. Hardy
James Edward Hardy was convicted in 1983, along with codefendant Mark Anthony Reilly, of the first degree murders of Nancy Morgan and her young son, Mitchell Morgan, and of conspiracy to commit murder to collect life insurance proceeds.In May 1981, Morgan moved to Carson City, Nevada, stensibly for business reasons, but more probably to establish an alibi. Sometime in the night of May 20-21, 1981, two persons alleged to be petitioner and Reilly went to Morgan's Van Nuys home, entered with a key provided by Morgan, cut the chain lock with bolt cutters and went to the back bedroom where Nancy slept. Because her husband was away from home, their son, Mitchell, was sleeping in his mother's bedroom. Sentence overturned in 2007.

Warren Hardy
Convicted with accomplices Kevin Pearson and Jamelle Armstrong, was sentenced to death for the gruesome robbery, rape, torture and murder of a Long Beach woman who made the mistake of wishing the men a happy New Year when passing by them on the street on Dec. 28, 1998.

Kai Harris
Convicted and sentenced to Death for the 2004 Murders of Annette Anderson and George Brooks.
Sentenced to Death 11/20/09.

Lanell Craig Harris
Convicted and sentenced to Death in the 1991 murder of Julian Contreras during the course of a robbery. Another man, Alfredo Calleros, saw defendant try to pull up a large pipe that was partially buried in the ground. Calleros picked up a milk crate and prepared to throw it at defendant. Defendant
left, saying he would be back. Defendant returned with another man about 15 minutes later. He
approached Calleros and tried to shoot him, but the handgun misfired. As Calleros ran, defendant pointed the gun skyward and pulled the trigger. This time it fired. Most of the men in the area fled, but a group playing cards remained. Defendant and his companion approached them. Defendant aimed the gun at Efren Reyes's head and took money from his pocket. Defendant's companion took money from Reynaldo Villatoro. Defendant approached Julian Contreras and reached for his wallet. When Contreras resisted, defendant shot him in the thigh. Contreras fell and defendant shot him twice more in the back. Defendant took Contreras's wallet and left with his companion. Contreras died at the hospital.

Maurice Lydell Harris
Convicted and sentenced to Death for the 1994 killing of a pregnant Gardena woman.Maurice Harris sentenced to Death for the murder of Alicia Allen and her fetus.

Willie Leo Harris
Crime date: May 20, 1997
Alicia Corey Manning, 22, was only three weeks away from graduating from Cal State Bakersfield when she was stabbed to death by Willie Leo Harris in her Bakersfield apartment. Friends described her as introverted, shy and intent on her studies. She and her boyfriend had planned to move back to her home state of Virginia where Manning had a job waiting. She was survived by her mother and father, two brothers and other family and friends.

Joseph William Hart
Was sentenced to death for the 03/24/1986 rape and murder of 15-year-old Diana Lynn Harper. Hart talked in a 7/11-parking lot to Diana Lynn Harper and her friend Amy R. and told them that he had found a marijuana patch and needed someone to watch the road while he harvested the plants. He offered the girls $1,000 to serve as lookouts. He drove about 40 miles and told Amr R. to leave at the car and walked with Diana Lynn Harper away. Later he came back and asked Amy R. to help her carrying the backs. As they walked into the field she saw her friend lying face-down and appears dead. She tried to escape, but Hart caught her and raped her too. Hart also told Amy that he planned to hit Amy with a rock to render her unconscious. By misleading defendant into believing that she had been abused as a child, and promising that she would not contact the police, Amy persuaded defendant not to knock her out, and eventually he drove her back to a location near the 7-Eleven store. He gave her a quarter to phone home, and drove away.

Cisco Hartsch
Sentenced to death for a 1995 double murder in San Bernardino County.

Randy Haskett
Convicted in Los Angeles County of the stabbing deaths of his 10- and 4-year-old nephews after they witnessed his rape and attempt to stab to death their mother, who was his stepsister.

Jeffrey Jay Hawkins
Was sentenced to death in 1990 for the march 1987 murders of Herman Hicks, 39, and John Hedlund, 42.

Anderson Hawthorne
Hawthorne, 42, was convicted of the shooting deaths of two rival gang members, 19-year-olds Jimmy Mamon and Kirk Thomas, in the parking lot of a South-Central Los Angeles video arcade in December of 1982. Another gang member has repeatedly confessed to family and friends that he committed the crime. Hawthorne, known as "Pee Wee" for his diminutive size, scored 86 and 74 on separate IQ tests administered when he was a child. On two more-recent tests, his IQ has been measured at 71 and 75. In anticipation of last week's U.S. Supreme Court ruling, Hawthorne's attorneys filed a federal petition asking that their client be spared the death penalty based on his mental retardation.

Carlos A. Hawthorne
Convicted of first-degree murder for the Aug. 25, 1996, shooting of Vanessa Sells, who died five days later as a result of three gunshot wounds to the head and base of her skull and neck.  He also was found guilty of the attempted murder of Sells' daughter, who still had a bullet lodged in her head when Hawthorne was tried.

Blufford Hayes Jr.
Convicted and sentenced to Death in the murder of Stockton motel manager Vinod "Pete" Patel on Jan. 1, 1980. Sentenced to Death 1982.

Royal Kenneth Hayes
Was convicted of killing his former girlfriend and her companion in Santa Cruz in 1981.

Larry Hazlett Jr.
Date of crime: 10/24/1978
Hazlett raped and murdered former beauty queen, Tana Woolley. Hazlett lived in Woolley's apartment building and was the prime suspect initially, but police lacked evidence to arrest him. The case went unsolved for 24 years until DNA evidence pointed to Hazlett. In aggravation, prosecution presented evidence of four other rapes Hazlett committed. The defense attacked the DNA evidence, arguing the semen was not initially found on the bedspread.

James Heard
A former Compton resident who sexually assaulted and murdered his girlfriend's 11-year-old daughter nearly two decades ago was sentenced to death today.
James Heard, 58, killed Katrina Brown in 1990 while her mother was at work. Heard said he could not remember the slaying because he had been drinking alcohol and smoking crack for more than a day.
Los Angeles Superior Court Judge William R. Pounders, decided to accept a jury's recommendation that Heard receive the ultimate penalty. The jury was the second to recommend that Heard be put to death.
His first death sentence was overturned in 2003 by the California Supreme Court, which found that the judge in Heard's first trial "conducted a seriously deficient examination of a prospective juror during the jury selection process, and in the absence of adequate justification, erroneously excused the juror for cause based upon the juror's ostensible views regarding the death penalty." But the state's highest court allowed Heard's conviction to stand for first-degree murder, forcible lewd act upon a child, sexual penetration by a foreign object and assault with a deadly weapon. In her closing argument in Heard's most recent trial, Deputy District Attorney Danette Meyers told jurors that the girl had marked her killer by biting off part of his tongue during the attack, and that he stomped on her and stuffed a bottle of rubbing alcohol down her mouth in an effort to get her to regurgitate it before strangling her. "This case cries out for the penalty of death and nothing less," Meyers told jurors. "I ask you to do justice for that little girl." During proceedings last year in which jurors deadlocked on whether he should be sentenced to death, Heard testified that he had been drinking alcohol and smoking crack since the morning hours the day before the girl's killing and did not remember doing anything to his girlfriend's daughter. "You don't remember leaving Katrina looking like that?" one of Heard's attorneys, Robin Jacob Yanes, asked his client. "No," the defendant responded. "You don't remember being in Katrina's room and causing all of this?" the attorney asked. "No, I don't," Heard said.
He said he cared "greatly" for his girlfriend and her daughter and "had a lot of love in my heart for them," and had no idea what caused the attack.
Resentenced to Death 7/23/10.

Harvey Heishman
Was convicted of the first degree murder of Nancy Lugassy, with the special circumstance that she was a witness to a crime who was intentionally killed to prevent her testimony (he raped her). The murder took place in 1979.

Glenn Helzer
Glenn Taylor Helzer receive five death penalties for the five murders he committed during the summer of 2000. Helzer, 34, admitted in early March to killing 22-year-old Selina Bishop, the daughter of blues guitarist Elvin Bishop; Bishop's mother Jennifer Villarin, 45, of Novato; Villarin's friend, James Gamble, 54; and elderly Concord. Sentenced to Death in 2004.

Justin Helzer
Date of crime: 7/30/2000 - 8/3/2000
Justin Helzer and his cohorts, Glenn Helzer and Dawn Goodman, killed five people in an extortion and murder scheme. Helzer and his cohorts kidnapped Ivan and Annette Stineman, forced the Stinemans to write $100,000 in checks, killed them, dismembered their bodies and dumped the body parts in the river. Helzer and his cohorts then killed and dismembered Glenn Helzer's girlfriend, Selina Bishop, because they were afraid she would be able to testify about their plan if they were caught. They also shot and killed Bishop's mother, Jennifer Villarin because they were afraid she knew too much. They also killed Villarin's friend, James Gamble, because he was present in the apartment when they went to kill Villarin. Justin Helzer pled not guilty by reason of insanity but was found guilty by a jury. During the penalty phase the defense argued Justin Helzer was mentally ill and thought his brother was a prophet of God.

Paul Nathan Henderson
Henderson of Rancho Mirage, was convicted March 1 of murdering 71-year-old Reginald Baker and attempting to murder Baker's wife, Peggy, in a June 1997 home-invasion robbery. The jury also found Henderson guilty of assault, burglary and car theft and affirmed special circumstances, making him eligible for the death penalty.

Christopher Henriquez
Christopher Henriquez held up a bank, and was afraid that his wife Carmen would inform on him. So he decided to eliminate her as a witness permanently. On August 12, 1996, Henriquez strangled Carmen to death, and then bludgeoned his three-year-old daughter Zuri to death with a claw hammer. Carmen was just four weeks away from delivering a healthy baby. In 2000, Henriquez was found guilty of two counts of first-degree murder and was sentenced to death. He now resides at San Quentin Prison.

Paul Loyde Hensly
Convicted and sentenced to Death Oct. 13, 1995.
Crime: Robbed and murdered his father-in-law, Larry Shockley of Lodi, and Gregory Renouf of Sacramento; shot and paralyzed a Stockton prostitute.

Francis Hernandez
Was sentenced to death for the forcible rape, sodomy, and murder of two young women, Edna Bristol and Kathleen Ryan, in early 1981.

George Anthony Hernandez Jr.
Mexican Mafia member was sentenced to death Friday for murdering a police informant in 2004 and asking a female sheriff's deputy he romanced in jail to arrange the killing of witnesses and a homicide detective.  George Anthony Hernandez, 33, shot and killed fellow gang member Jorge Ortiz outside Jack's bar in Riverside to gain rank within the Mexican Mafia and out of fear of retaliation from the gang's leaders, attorneys said in court Friday. Judge Paul E. Zellerbach denied a defense motion to reduce a jury's death-penalty recommendation to life in prison without the possibility of parole. Hernandez was sentenced to death for the murder and got a life sentence for conspiracy to commit murder.  "There's an old saying that in life we make choices. Unfortunately too many of today's youth make the wrong choice with the gang life," Zellerbach said. "... Either way, you made that decision in a method that was very clearly planned in an extremely callous cold-blooded manner."  Hernandez was waiting in his Chevy Impala in July 2004 when he called Ortiz over to look at the car. As Ortiz leaned his head in the window, Hernandez shot him in the forehead.  "Both sides of these families are hurting," said Ortiz's brother, Armando Ortiz. "There needs to be something. The punishment needs to fit the crime. There isn't a sense of victory today. There's no satisfaction."  While in jail, Hernandez had a love affair with Riverside County sheriff's Deputy Angela Parks, who worked at the Robert Presley Detention Center.  Hernandez wrote letters to Parks, asking her to arrange to have witnesses in his trial killed, and he gave her the name and address of the Riverside police homicide detective investigating the case.
Sentenced to Death 1/29/10.

Ivan Jerome Hill
Ivan Hill, the so-called Freeway Slayer, was convicted in Los Angeles on,03/28/2007 of killing six prostitutes, Roxanne Bates, Betty Sue Harris, Helen Ruth Hill, Donna Goldsmit, Cheryl Sayers, Debra Brown, in 1993 and 1994 in southern California. On 05/15/2009 Judge Charles Horan sentenced Hill to an additional term of life in prison without possibility of parole for the 1986 and 1987 murders of Lorna Patricia Reed and Rhonda Rene Jackson.

Michael Hill
On August 15, 1985, the bodies of Anthony Brice, Sr., and his four-year-old son, Anthony Brice, Jr., were found by police on the floor of the jewelry store operated by Brice in Oakland, California. Each victim had been shot in the head at close range with a .38-caliber gun. The appearance of the crime scene suggested there had been a robbery. Michael Hill was sentenced to death for the murders.

Dannie Ray Hillhouse
Convicted and sentenced to Death in the 1991 Robbery/Murder of Brett Schultz.

Mao Hin
Date of crime: October 2003
Alfonso Martinez and Debra Pizano were on a first date and walking in a park when they were robbed and shot by Hin and Rattanak Kak. Pizano survived a graze wound to her head. Kak received life in prison without chance for parole, since he was only 16 at the time of the murder. Hin was also convicted for two other gang shootings during a two-month period surrounding this crime. The defense claimed that Hin was present for robbery, but denied committing the murder.  The defense also focused on the fact that Pizano initially told police that she and Martinez were robbed by two black men.

Gary Dale Hines
Was sentenced to death for the Sept. 15, 1986, slayings of Kathryn Roberts, 33, and daughter Donna, to gain possession of a shocking pink roadster.

Eric L. Hinton
Convicted and sentenced to Death in the 1988 murders of Tenoa L. Stevenson, Albert Brown Jr., and Landis Barnes. The three men were killed at the Best Western Monterey Park Inn during what police said was a drug deal Hinton had set up in order to rob them. Witnesses said Barnes and Brown died at the scene, but Stevenson managed to stagger outside before being chased by two men, one of whom exited the vehicle to pursue him on foot and shoot him again, fatally, in a nearby used car lot.
The prosecution theory was that Brown and Barnes were about to test the supposed cocaine that Hinton brought to the motel, which was really flour, when they were shot in the head. Then Hinton's accomplice, Steven Hicks, allegedly shot Stevenson, and Hinton shot at another man, Jeffrey Cunningham, who feigned death and later testified under a grant of immunity. Hinton was originally arrested and released for lack of evidence, as the murder weapon had not been recovered and Cunningham could not identify him as the shooter.

Duane Holloway
Convicted and sentenced to Death in the 1983 murders of Debra Cimmino and Diane Pencin. Debra Cimmino and Diane Pencin, half sisters who shared a Sacramento townhouse, were killed in the early morning hours of Sunday, March 20, 1983. Diane was found the next day in her bedroom, dead of stab wounds and strangulation. Debbie, also strangled, was found in her car, which was parked outside the townhouse. The principal evidence against defendant consisted of his fingerprints inside the townhouse and Debbie's car; pubic and other hairs found at the crime scene that were consistent with defendant's hairs and inconsistent with the victims'; defendant's initial false exculpatory statements to police, including an attempt to manufacture an alibi; and his eventual partial admission to presence at the crimes. At the time of their deaths in 1983, Diane Pencin was 32 years old and Debbie Cimmino was 20. Both were single, Diane having been married and divorced, and they lived alone in the townhouse, which Diane owned.

Karl Holmes
Convicted and sentenced to death in the Halloween 1993 murder of 14 yr old Stephen Coats Jr, 13yr old Edgar Evans, and 14yr old Reginald Crawford, the three were murdered in gang gunfire.

John Lee Holt
Crime date: July 6, 1989
Marie Margie Axtell, 66, lived in southwest Bakersfield when she was raped and murdered by John Lee Holt. She was survived by five children.

Steven Michael Homick
Convicted and sentenced to Death for the 184 murders of Gerald and Vera Woodman, 67 and 63. The couple was slain Sept. 25, 1985, in the underground garage at their Brentwood condominium after a family gathering celebrating the end of Yom Kippur Yom Kippur [Heb.,=day of atonement], in Judaism, the most sacred holy day, falling on the 10th day of the Jewish month of Tishri (usually late September or early October). It is a day of fasting and prayer for forgiveness for sins committed during the year. , the Jewish Day the time between sunset and sunset. Steven Homick, the triggerman, was sentenced to death; his brother is serving a sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Danny Ray Horning
Convicted and sentenced to Death in the 1999 murder of Sammy McCullough, a marijuana dealer and fish farmer who lived in a geodesic dome house in a rural area of Stockton. Police, called after a fisherman reported finding a bag containing a human leg in the San Joaquin River Delta on Sept. 20,1999, found McCullough's torso and other body parts. He had been shot in the head at close range.
Police found McCullough's Jeep in Stockton a day later. Fingerprints on a document in the vehicle were determined to belong to Horning; a search of Horning's home revealed human blood in the bathroom and a piece of human tissue on the bathroom mirror, along with other physical evidence linking him to the murder. Friends told police that several items were missing from McCullough's residence, including his handgun and a planter and a coffee can in which he kept a large amount of change. Horning's parole officer tried to locate him, could not, and listed him as having "absconded supervision."
Prosecutors filed a complaint charging Horning with murder in December 1990, three months after he disappeared. In March 1991, he was arrested in Winslow, Ariz. attempting to flee with $25,000 and a hostage after a bank robbery. He was carrying McCullough's gun.

Erick Houston
The Lindhurst High School shooting was a school shooting that occurred on May 1, 1992 at Lindhurst High School in Olivehurst, California, United States. The gunman, 20-year-old Eric Houston, was a former student at Lindhurst High School. Houston killed three students and one teacher, and wounded nine others before Houston surrendered to police. On April 30, 1992 Eric Houston phoned the principal of Lindhurst High School, threatening to "shoot up a school rally" to be held on the following day. The pep rally was cancelled. Eric nonetheless arrived on the school campus the following day, armed with a 12-gauge pump-action shotgun and a sawed off .22 caliber rifle around 2:40 p.m. As he entered the school, he fatally shot teacher Robert Brens, his Civics teacher during his senior year. He then shot and killed Judy Davis, a 17-year-old student inside Brens' classroom. Houston then walked through the hallway outside the classroom and fatally shot student Jason Edward White in the chest. Further on Houston pointed his shotgun at a female student, but before he could fire his weapon another student, Beamon A. Hill, pushed her aside and took the shotgun blast to the side of his head. Houston then entered a classroom with about 25 to 30 students inside. According to reports, Houston would send a student to retrieve more hostages, and eventually held over 80 students hostage. He engaged in an eight-hour standoff with police before surrendering to authorities. While in police custody, Eric Houston stated that he was despondent over losing his job and was angered that he failed to graduate from high school or obtain a GED. He also confessed to holding a grudge against his former Civics teacher Robert Brens, who failed Houston in his class. On September 21, 1993 Houston was found guilty on all charges against him, and was sentenced to death. He is currently held at San Quentin State Prison awaiting his sentence. A memorial park was erected on McGowan Parkway in Olivehurst, California in remembrance of those the four people who died that day, as reported to this editor by a local resident who was friends with Jason White at the time of the shooting.

Jackie R. Hovarter
Convicted of killing a young woman, Danna Walsh, who was abducted, raped, and strangled. Her body was found under the Scotia Bridge, about 30 miles south of Eureka in Humboldt County, in August 1984. Hovarter, a truck driver from the San Francisco Bay area who transported wood pulp from a mill near the crime scene, was charged with the murder after he was identified as the perpetrator of another crime--the abduction, rape, and shooting of a teenager in Mendocino County in December 1984. While in jail, Hovarter allegedly confessed both crimes to his cellmate, Gary Marolla. Marolla, who was being held on drug and weapons charges, negotiated a deal in which he received 111 days' credit for time served and probation in exchange for his testimony against Hovarter.

Alphonso Howard
Alphonso Howard was sentenced to death after a jury convicted him of first degree murder, rape, and a forcible lewd act upon a child under the age of 14. The jury found that he personally
used a firearm during the offenses, and that he caused bodily injury to the child while committing the lewd act. The special circumstances supporting the imposition of the death penalty were
that the rape and forcible lewd act upon a child occurred while defendant committed the murder. Eleven-year-old Wendy Bustamante lived with her parents, Carlos and Soila Bustamante,
in Compton. On April 2, 1988, at 4:30 p.m., Wendy went outside to play. Five minutes later, Mrs. Bustamante realized she was missing and began searching for her. One of Wendy's playmates
was K., defendant's younger sister. K. and their mother, Mary Williams, lived several doors down from the Bustamante family. Mrs. Williams called the police for Mrs. Bustamante, who did not speak English. Defendant had a room in the back of a converted garage located on Mrs. Williams's property, but detached from her house. Defendant made five statements to the police. He began by denying any involvement in the disappearance. On April 3, the day after Wendy was reported missing, Officer Louis Mendez interviewed defendant as part of the ongoing investigation of the disappearance. Defendant said that Wendy had come to the Williams residence seeking $5 in  payment for earrings she had sold defendant's mother.

Demetrius Howard

Jaime Armando Hoyos
Convicted and sentenced to Death in the 1992 murders of Daniel and Mary Magoon.
During the evening of May 26, 1992, Daniel and Mary Magoon were killed in their home and their three-year-old son J. was wounded. In 1994, a San Diego County jury convicted defendant Jaime Armando Hoyos and codefendant Jorge Emilio Alvarado of the first degree murders of Daniel and Mary Magoon.
On May 26, 1992, Daniel Magoon, his wife Mary, and their children, D. (age seven) and J. (age three), were living on Steele Canyon Road in the Jamul area of San Diego County. Daniel Magoon operated a large-scale marijuana distribution business out of the garage of their house. He also kept weapons and
money in the garage. A security gate around the house was usually closed. Jimmy Johnson was a long-time friend and occasional partner of Daniel Magoon in the marijuana trade. In 1974, both Daniel Magoon and Johnson had pleaded guilty to intent to distribute a controlled substance. Johnson testified that he was not involved in dealing marijuana with Daniel Magoon at the time of Magoon's death.

Ryan James Hoyt
An associate of Jesse James Hollywood. Convicted and sentenced to death in the murder of Nick Markowitz on August 9, 2000. He reportedly owed Hollywood money for drugs and was
offered the opportunity to kill Markowitz as a way of erasing his debt. During his trial, Hoyt took the stand and told the court he didn't remember killing Markowitz. Hoyt threatened to kill his accomplicies if they revealed what happened. In November 2001 Hoyt was convicted of first degree murder and was sentenced to death. He currently is on Death Row at San Quentin State Prison in California. In September 2002 Jesse Rugge was sentenced to life in prison, with the possibility of parole after seven years.

Jeffrey Lee Hronis
On December 22, 1985, John Bertch and Jeff Hronis kidnapped 35-year-old store clerk Linda Canady from the Arden Fair Mall parking lot, then raped her, killed her, and dumped her body in an irrigation ditch 600 miles away.

Michael J. Huggins
Convicted and sentenced death in the 1986 murder of Sarah Anne Lee. The evidence showed that on March 8, 1986, defendant broke into Sarah Anne Lees's home in Castro Valley, robbed her of her shotgun, and shot her to death with that shotgun from close range. Defendant admitted killing Lees but claimed he did so accidentally. The prosecution theorized that defendant broke into Lees's empty house, found her shotgun, ambushed her at her front door when she returned home, tried to rape her, and killed her with the shotgun when she resisted.

Kristin W. Hughes
Convicted and sentenced to Death for the rape/murder of Kim Hickman. The Pacific Grove woman suffered for more than an hour with multiple stab wounds.

Mervin Hughes
Date of Crime: 1/1999
Hughes went on a two week shooting spree during which he killed Terry Love and Robert Fisher and wounded seven others. Hughes did not know any of the victims except for Love who was an acquaintance. The jury deadlocked during the penalty phase of Hughes' first trial and a new jury was selected for a second penalty phase. Hughes had previously been convicted of manslaughter and served three years of an eight year term.

Reyon Ingram
Convcted and sentenced to Death 3/09 in the Oct. 2, 2006, killings of Derrick Kellum Sr. and his son, Octavius. The judge rejected the defense's motion for a new trial for Reyon Ingram, saying he believed the evidence of his guilt was "compelling."  Perry also denied an automatic motion to reduce the jury's recommendation of death to life in prison without the possibility of parole, noting that he believed it was "appropriate." Ingram, 25, is the second person to be sent to death row for the Oct. 2, 2006, slayings. Co-defendant Calvin Dennis, 29, was sentenced Jan. 30 to death. A third man, Earl Lee, 41, was sentenced Jan. 7 to two consecutive life prison terms without the possibility of parole. Prosecutors did not seek a death sentence against him. Ingram and Dennis were convicted last November of first-degree murder for the slayings, along with the robbery hours earlier of the 46-year-old father, who knew Dennis from the neighborhood and had called him to get his wallet back. Jurors found true the special circumstance allegations of murder while lying in wait, gang murder and multiple murders, which made the two eligible for the death penalty. Lee was convicted of the murders, but was not charged with the robbery. Kellum was shot in the head after driving to the intersection of West 134th Place and North Slater Avenue and getting out of his car, according to Deputy District Attorney Geoffrey Rendon.
Octavius was shot next while sitting in the vehicle, according to the prosecutor, who said the boy's 9-year-old brother managed to flee.

Go Up