Antonin Scalia

Started by jack313, February 13, 2016, 11:39:00 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

jack313

Antonin Scalia has died. I hope you all realize how much this can effect the DP in the United States. Obama now has the opportunity to put another liberal Justice on the Supreme Court. This is going to change the whole dynamic of the court.We'll just have to wait and see.

Londoner77

Even as an 'outsider' living in the uk I can see what a huge difference this could make and how much of an effect there may be

As I read it, there are now 4 justices who are considered conservative and 4 who are liberal.  There have been a number of 5-4 decisions lately and the appointment of a fifth liberal could mean that the dp process is slowed down immensely or even stopped

With a president in his final year of office, this could be seen as his chance to cement his legacy in either direction

Let's hope this goes the right way!!

jack313

You're correct. A fifth liberal Justice would slow the process down at the very least. It wouldn't shock me at all if they abolished it altogether. Nothing but bad news if Obama gets to put another Justice on the court. It would be just as bad if Hillary Clinton or Bernie Sanders are elected. This election just became even more vitally important.

Grinning Grim Reaper

Obama can nominate all he wants.  He is never going to get a liberal justice past the Republican controlled senate in less than a year.
Vengence is mine saith the Lord...who are we to question the instruments used to carry it out?

Go Up