Oklahoma Death Penalty News

Started by heidi salazar, February 11, 2010, 01:48:09 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

turboprinz

DA to seek death penalty in Tulsa shootings

By JUSTIN JUOZAPAVICIUS | Associated Press Published January 04, 2013

TULSA, Okla. - Prosecutors said Friday they would seek the death penalty against two Tulsa men charged in an April 2012 shooting rampage that killed three black people and left two others wounded.

Jake England, 20, and Alvin Watts, 33, are charged with first-degree murder in what authorities describe as the racially motivated killings of William Allen, Bobby Clark and Dannaer Fields, who were shot over Easter weekend as they walked near their homes.

England and Watts, who also face hate crimes charges, are due to be arraigned Wednesday in district court. Under Oklahoma law, the potential punishment on each of the murder charges is either life in prison with parole, life without parole or the death penalty.

"The defendants are presumed to be innocent under the law but we will be prepared to present our evidence at future due process hearings," District Attorney Tim Harris said in a statement Friday.

Attorneys for both men said Friday they had hoped prosecutors would have decided against seeking the death penalty.

"I'm always disappointed when it is filed because I'm against the death penalty, but that's a part of the world I live in," said Shena Burgess, one of Watts' public defenders.

Clark Brewster, who is handling England's defense pro bono, said he still held "some degree of hope" for his client despite Friday's announcement.

"We'll be very, very well prepared and very careful in our defense of this young man," Brewster said. "He's only 20 years old. I never think killing is a good idea, on either side."

The shootings happened in a predominantly black section of Tulsa - not far from where one of the nation's worst race riots happened more than 90 years ago - and all five victims were black.

Authorities have said England may have targeted black people because he wanted to avenge the death of his father, who was shot by a black man in 2010. But England, who describes himself as Cherokee Indian, has said he has no ill will toward black people.

The senior pastor at the First Baptist Church North Tulsa, where civil rights leader the Rev. Jesse Jackson spoke in the days following the shootings, said the trial will provide "some sense of satisfaction."

"Obviously, it won't bring back those who unfortunately perished, but I'm just happy to see justice and two young men being brought to trial," Anthony Scott said.

At a hearing in July, England's uncle testified that England and Watts treated the mass shootings as a contest. Timothy Hoey said Watts told him a day after the killings that Watts and England each shot two people and England shot the fifth victim "that would break the tie," Hoey said.

Hoey also testified that the day after the shootings, England used racial slurs to describe whom they shot. During that emotional testimony, England and Watts were stone-faced, sometimes looking down at the floor.

Cindy Wilde, the mother of England's ex-girlfriend, said Friday she had hoped prosecutors would seek life in prison for England instead of capital punishment. But, she added, she's turned everything "over to the Lord" because she can't bear wrestling with the crimes England is accused of committing anymore.

"That's the only way I can get on with my life is to give it up to Him," she said. "I can't deal with it. It's God's choice on what happens now."

http://www.theolympian.com/2013/01/04/2373292/da-to-seek-death-penalty-in-tulsa.html
I apologize for my not perfect English. Hopefully you understand what I mean. If not - ask me. I will try to explain.

turboprinz

Supreme Court rejects appeal of Oklahoma death row inmate
Without comment, the high court declined to hear the case of Steven Ray Thacker, whose crime spree in late 1999 and early 2000 left three dead
Published: January 7, 2013

WASHINGTON _ The Supreme Court on Monday rejected an appeal from Oklahoma death row inmate Steven Ray Thacker, whose crime spree in late 1999 and early 20000 included the deaths of people in Oklahoma, Missouri and Tennessee.

Thacker is on death row in Oklahoma for the kidnapping, rape and murder of Laci Dawn Hill, of Bixby, who was 25 when Thacker stabbed her to death on Dec. 23, 1999. Thacker had gone to Hill's house to rob her in order to buy Christmas presents for his family, according to court documents.

Thacker, who pleaded guilty in Hill's killing, lost the state court appeals of his sentence and has now lost his federal appeals.

After killing Hill, Thacker fled to Missouri, where he car-jacked a family and then killed a man and stole his car. During a multi-state manhunt, Thacker drove the car to Tennessee and killed a tow truck driver before being captured.

He was given a death sentence for killing the tow truck driver in Tennessee, and a life sentence for stabbing the Missouri man.

The Supreme Court, without comment, declined to hear Thacker's federal appeal. The 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals confirmed his sentence last April.

http://newsok.com/supreme-court-rejects-appeal-of-oklahoma-death-row-inmate/article/3743910
I apologize for my not perfect English. Hopefully you understand what I mean. If not - ask me. I will try to explain.

JTiscool

They profiled that guy on the show "fatal encounters" a few weeks ago. Can't wait until he goes  >:(
My reason for supporting the death penalty? A murderer has less of a right to live than his victim and already presents a danger while incarcerated for life. They have nothing to lose when the most they can get is Life in prison without parole.

turboprinz

Oklahoma Attorney General Pruitt requests execution date for multi-state killings

Posted: 01/07/2013

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt has asked the state Court of Criminal Appeals to set an execution date for a death-row inmate convicted of killing people in three states.

Pruitt asked the court on Monday to set an execution date for Steven Ray Thacker, hours after the U.S. Supreme rejected Thacker's appeal.

Thacker pleaded guilty in Oklahoma to first-degree murder and other charges in the December 1999 stabbing death of 25-year-old Laci Dawn Hill of Bixby. Thacker received the death penalty after a sentencing hearing.

Thacker was also sentenced to death in Tennessee for the January 2000 killing of a tow truck driver and to life in prison in the January 2000 death of a Missouri man.

Defense attorney Frank Bauman did not return a telephone call seeking comment.

http://www.kjrh.com/dpp/news/local_news/bixby/oklahoma-attorney-general-pruitt-requests-execution-date-for-multi-state-killings

turboprinz

Court upholds death sentence in trooper's killing
Posted: Jan 12, 2013 12:41 AM Updated: Jan 12, 2013 12:41 AM

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) - A state appeals court has upheld the death sentence of a man accused of gunning down a state highway patrolman in 2003.

The Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals on Friday affirmed the death sentence of 38-year-old Ricky Ray Malone. Malone was convicted of shooting trooper Nikky "Nik" Green twice in the back of the head after wresting Green's gun from him during a struggle on a Cotton County road. Green was trying to arrest Malone for allegedly operating a mobile methamphetamine lab out of the car he was driving, and some of the attack was captured on Green's vehicle's dashboard camera.

Malone's attorney had urged the court to instead give Malone a life term, arguing that a judge didn't account for mitigating circumstances when re-sentencing Malone to death.

http://www.ktul.com/story/20567575/court-upholds-death-sentence-in-troopers-killing

PAPASTALKIN

Makes me wanna build a house on the Tx,Ak,Ok border
That is all I have GOOD NIGHT NOW

turboprinz

January 15, 2013
Court rejects appeal of convicted OKC killer

Associated Press

-- OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- A federal appeals court on Monday rejected the appeal of a man sentenced to death for killing two Oklahoma City women more than 25 years ago.

The U.S. 10th Circuit Court of Appeals in Denver rejected claims by Ronald Lott, 53, who was convicted in December 2001 of raping and killing Anna Laura Fowler, 83, in September 1986 and Zelma Cutler, 93, in January 1987. His trial was delayed several times.

Lott was sentenced to death in January 2002 for both murder convictions.

Lott's attorney did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment.

The appeals court rejected several arguments by Lott, including ineffective counsel during the sentencing phase of the trial, prosecutorial misconduct, insufficient evidence, erroneous jury instructions and violation of his right to a speedy trial.

The court did agree with Lott's contention that the victim impact testimony by the granddaughter of one victim, who testified that she believed Lott should be put to death, should not have been allowed. But the court found that because of "overwhelming evidence of Lott's guilt" the testimony "did not have a substantial and injurious effect" on the jury's decision to impose the death sentence.

The evidence against Lott included DNA taken from the victims that was matched to Lott.

http://muskogeephoenix.com/statenews/x503822491/Court-rejects-appeal-of-convicted-OKC-killer

Grinning Grim Reaper

Pruitt asked the court on Monday to set an execution date for Steven Ray Thacker, hours after the U.S. Supreme rejected Thacker's appeal.

Ya gotta love OK justice...Pruit doesn't let the grass grow under his feet!  Are you paying attention Florida?
Vengence is mine saith the Lord...who are we to question the instruments used to carry it out?

turboprinz

Prosecutors seek death penalty in 'Cathouse' case
February 20, 2013

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- The former girlfriend of a man accused of killing four people, including a prostitute featured on HBO's "Cathouse" series, testified Tuesday she overheard him plan the Oklahoma City shootings because he was unhappy with the amount of money he made from a drug dealer among those killed.

Denny Edward Phillips, 34, is charged in the deaths of drug dealer Casey Mark Barrientos and three others, including two pregnant women. One of the victims was Brooke Phillips, who had worked for a legal Nevada brothel featured on HBO. She was not related to Denny Phillips.

In testimony at Denny Phillips' preliminary hearing Tuesday, his former girlfriend testified Phillips and a second man, David Allen Tyner, planned to kill Barrientos, 32, because they were unhappy with their take from Barrientos' drug trade.

"They were going to kill Casey and anybody who was in the house," Karine Sanders testified in Oklahoma County District Court. "I almost felt threatened by it."

Investigators say Barrientos ran a drug and prostitution ring out of the south Oklahoma City house where the victims were killed. Denny Phillips and Tyner, 31, allegedly were involved in illegal drug sales with Barrientos.

Sanders said she dated Denny Phillips during the summer of 2009 and that they frequently visited the house.

"It was like a party house," she said. "A lot of strippers. A lot of drugs. A lot of drinking."

She said there was also a lot of money lying around and that many who visited the house were armed.

A resident of the house who survived, Jose Fiero, testified that he saw Tyner walk into the home where the victims were shot but never saw Denny Phillips.

Previous testimony indicates that Phillips told a fellow inmate at a federal prison that he was nearby when the victims were killed, but not actually present.

Denny Phillips faces six counts of murder because Brooke Phillips, 22, and Milagros Barrera, 22, were pregnant when they were killed. All of the victims, including Barrientos and Jennifer Ermey, 25, were shot and stabbed and their bodies were set on fire.

The preliminary hearing, which began last week, will determine whether there is probable cause that Denny Phillips was involved in the shootings and should be tried for murder. It's scheduled to resume Feb. 26.

Denny Phillips has pleaded not guilty to the charges. Prosecutors said Tuesday they will seek the death penalty if he is convicted.

Tyner, whom Sanders identified as her cousin, worked as Barrientos' bodyguard and complained to Denny Phillips that he was not being paid enough, Sanders said. Denny Phillips was also not happy with the amount of money he made from drug deals with Barrientos, she said.

"Let's do something about it," Sanders testified Denny Phillips said at one point during a conversation with Tyner in which she was present. She said Denny Phillips made it clear that he wanted to personally kill Barrientos.

"He wanted to shoot Casey, I know that," Sanders said. "He said he wanted to look in his eyes."

Sanders said she broke up with Denny Phillips in September 2009, two months before the shootings and did not report the threats because she did not take them seriously.

In May 2012, Tyner pleaded guilty to six counts of first-degree murder and was sentenced to consecutive life prison sentences without the possibility of parole in a plea agreement to avoid a possible death sentence.

HBO's "Cathouse" focused on the Moonlite Bunny Ranch near Carson City, Nev. Brooke Phillips left the show two months before her death after becoming pregnant.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/2013-02-20/prosecutors-seek-death-penalty-in-cathouse-case

Grinning Grim Reaper

Oklahoma Attorney General Seeks Execution Date For Death Row Inmate

Posted: Mar 25, 2013 7:48 PM CDT Updated: Mar 25, 2013 7:48 PM CDT

By Associated Press

OKLAHOMA CITY - Oklahoma's attorney general is asking for an execution date for a man convicted of the stabbing deaths of a wealthy Le Flore County couple.

Attorney General Scott Pruitt asked the Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals Monday to set an execution date for James Lewis DeRosa. The U.S. Supreme Court denied DeRosa's final appeal on Monday.

The 36-year-old DeRosa was convicted in 2001 of two counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of 73-year-old Curtis Plummer and 70-year-old Gloria Plummer of Poteau.

Prosecutors say DeRosa had worked at the Plummers' ranch. They alleged that DeRosa and 32-year-old John Eric Castleberry slashed the Plummers' throats and stole about $70.

Castleberry pleaded guilty to first-degree murder and testified against DeRosa in exchange for a life sentence without the possibility of parole.

www.news9.com

The very same day SCOTUS denies Derosa AG Pruitt is there requsting an X date!  8)
Vengence is mine saith the Lord...who are we to question the instruments used to carry it out?

Grinning Grim Reaper

News Release

03/25/2013

Execution Date Requested for James L. DeRosa

OKLAHOMA CITY - Attorney General Scott Pruitt on Monday filed a request with the Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals to set an execution date for LeFlore County death row inmate James Lewis DeRosa, 36.

The U.S. Supreme Court denied DeRosa's final appeal on Monday.

In October 2001, DeRosa was found guilty by a jury of his peers and subsequently convicted and sentenced to death for the first-degree murders of Curtis Plummer, 73, and Gloria Plummer, 70, both of Poteau.

DeRosa was briefly employed by the Plummers and told several friends on multiple occasions he thought the elderly couple would be an easy target to rob. DeRosa's friend Eric Castleberry, 21, agreed to help with the robbery and Castleberry's friend, Scotty White, 18, agreed to drive.

After being welcomed into the Plummers' home, DeRosa and Castleberry brandished knives. While the couple begged and struggled for their lives, DeRosa proceeded to stab the Plummers multiple times and slit their throats. DeRosa and Castleberry left the scene with $73 and the couple's pickup truck. The truck was ditched in a nearby lake.

Castleberry testified at DeRosa's trial in exchange for a sentence of life without the possibility of parole. White was charged with accessory after the fact to murder and received two 25-year sentences with the last seven years on probation.

In Monday's filing, General Pruitt asked the court to set the date "sixty days after March 25, 2013."

Derosa - Application for Exec Date.pdf

|313 NE 21st Street, Oklahoma City, OK 73105 | OKC 405.521.3921| Tulsa 918.581.2885 |

www.oag.state.ok.us

turboprinz

Okla. House approves changes to death penalty
Posted March 26, 2013 at 11:06 a.m.

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- The Oklahoma House has overwhelmingly approved a bill to make the death penalty an option in first-degree murder cases only if the state is seeking it. Current law tells judges to consider the penalty even if the state doesn't ask for it.

The chamber voted 82-10 Tuesday in support of the proposal from Rep. Scott Biggs of Chickasha. It has already passed the Senate and now waits for Gov. Mary Fallin's signature to become law.

Courts currently have hearings after convictions of first-degree murder to consider life in prison, life without parole or death as punishments. Biggs' bill would specify that if the state isn't seeking death but can still show the suspect has a history of felonies, life and life without parole -- not death -- will be considered.

http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/2013/mar/26/okla-house-approves-changes-death-penalty/

turboprinz

April 1, 2013
US court upholds death penalty for Oklahoma man

OKLAHOMA CITY -- A federal appeals court on Monday upheld the first-degree murder conviction and death sentence of a Ponca City man for the June 1999 death of a 19-year-old woman.

The Denver-based 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals rejected Clayton Darrell Lockett's claim that victim impact testimony that included sentencing recommendations violated Lockett's constitutional rights.

Lockett's attorney, Assistant Federal Defender Dean Sanderford of Denver, did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment.

A jury in Noble County convicted Lockett, 38, in the shooting death of Stephanie Nieman of Perry. Along with first-degree murder, Lockett was also convicted on 18 other counts, including first-degree rape, kidnapping and robbery. Jurors recommended a death sentence.

Investigators said Nieman and another 19-year-old woman had their hands bound with duct tape after Lockett and two other men forced their way into a home in Perry. The two women along with a man and his 9-month-old son were taken to Kay County, where Neiman was shot. Police said the others were driven back to Perry and released. Neiman's body was found in a shallow grave along a dirt road near Tonkawa.

Among other things, Lockett argued that victim impact testimony during the sentencing phase of his trial violated his constitutional rights. The appeals court said "some portions of the victim impact statement were unconstitutional" but did not have a substantial effect on the jury's sentencing decision.

The court said statements by the victim's family members included "an unambiguous plea to the jury to sentence Mr. Lockett to death."

The appeals court said it has ruled in previous cases that overwhelming evidence of guilt and testimony about the brutality of the crime "clearly outweighed any potential impact of unconstitutional victim impact testimony."

"We cannot conclude that the erroneously admitted victim impact testimony in this case was prejudicial," the court said.

http://enidnews.com/featuredstory/x2055654681/US-court-upholds-death-penalty-for-Oklahoma-man

turboprinz

Execution date sought for Ponca City killer
Attorney General Scott Pruitt asked for an execution date for Oklahoma death row inmate Brian Darrell Davis after the U.S. Supreme Court rejected his final appeal.
Published: April 15, 2013   

WASHINGTON -- Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt on Monday asked the state Court of Criminal Appeals to set an execution date for Brian Darrell Davis after the U.S. Supreme Court rejected the death row inmate's appeal.

Davis, 38, was convicted of raping and killing his girlfriend's mother, Jody Sanford, in November 2001 in Ponca City. He was given the death sentence for the killing and 100 years in prison for the rape. Davis has lost all of his appeals at the state and federal levels.

The 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals upheld his convictions and sentences last summer, rejecting Davis' arguments that his attorney was ineffective and he was coerced into confessing to the killing by a police detective who called him a cold-blooded killer.

The U.S. Supreme Court, without comment on Monday, upheld the appeals court rulings.

Pruitt asked for an execution date 60 days from Monday or at the earliest possible date.

http://newsok.com/execution-date-sought-for-ponca-city-killer/article/3786382

turboprinz

April 23, 2013
Okla. AG requests execution date for death row inmate

By Rachel Petersen Staff Writer

McALESTER -- Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt requested that the Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals set an execution date for Oklahoma State Penitentiary death row inmate Brian Darrell Davis.

On April 15, the U.S. Supreme Court denied Davis's final appeal. Pruitt asked the Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals to set an execution date 60 days after April 15, "or the earliest date the court deems fit."

The 38-year-old death row inmate was convicted of the Nov. 4, 2001, rape and murder of 52-year-old Josephine "Jody" Sanford.

"In January 2003, Davis was found guilty by a jury for the November 2001 first-degree murder and rape of his girlfriend's mother, Jody Sanford, 52, of Ponca City," Pruitt said in a press release. "He was sentenced to death for the murder and 100 years for rape."

According to court records, Davis returned home in the early morning hours of Nov. 4, 2001, after socializing with friends at a local club. When he arrived home, he found that his girlfriend, Stacey Sanford, and their 3-year-old daughter were missing.

Davis called Jody Sanford, Stacey Sanford's mother, to ask if she knew were his girlfriend and daughter were, court records state. "When Jody could not locate her daughter and granddaughter, she went to Stacey's and Davis's apartment."

Davis made several conflicting statements regarding what happened while Jody Sanford was in his home. According to court records, he changed his story multiple times and told different stories to his girlfriend, to police and to the jury at his trial. Court records indicate that Davis did admit to having sex with and stabbing Jody Sanford.

When Stacey Sanford arrived home shortly after 9 a.m., she found her mother's body. "Stacey (Sanford) immediately called 911 and local police arrived to investigate," court records state. "Meanwhile, Davis had been involved in a single-car accident while driving Jody's van near the Salt Fork River Bridge. Davis was seriously injured after he was ejected from the van through the front windshield. Davis was transported to a local hospital for treatment."

Because Davis had a blood alcohol level of .09 percent, he was placed under arrest for driving under the influence and was later transferred to a regional hospital in Wichita, Kan., for treatment for injuries he sustained in the car accident.

According to Pruitt, Jody Sanford had been beaten and stabbed six times and DNA evidence showed Davis had raped her.

Davis has been in custody with the Oklahoma Department of Corrections since March 17, 2003.

http://mcalesternews.com/local/x1097431251/Okla-AG-requests-execution-date-for-death-row-inmate

Go Up