Oklahoma capital-cases status

Started by Moh, February 05, 2010, 06:50:44 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Moh

Clicking on this link http://www.doc.state.ok.us/offenders/deathrow.htm and then clicking on "Monthly Death Row Population" will lead you to a list of Oklahoma death-row inmates showing what stage they're at in their appeals.

JT

Awesome discovery, Moh.  There are lots of inmates on that list who are at the Tenth Circuit, so I guess that Oklahoma's death chamber should be kept rather busy over the next eighteen months or two years.  But we know they can handle it.  Back at the start of 2001, Oklahoma executed eight inmates in less than a month.  It was apparently such a special occasion that the BBC was induced into writing an article about it.

1     1/9       Jack Clark               TX       Lethal injection
2     1/9       Eddie Trice              OK       Lethal Injection
3     1/11     Robert Glock            FL       Lethal Injection
4     1/11     Wanda Jean Allen     OK      Lethal Injection
5     1/16     Floyd Medlock          OK      Lethal Injection
6     1/18     Alvin Goodwin          TX      Lethal Injection
7     1/18     Dion Smallwood       OK      Lethal Injection
8     1/23     Mark Fowler             OK      Lethal Injection
9     1/25     Billy Ray Fox            OK      Lethal Injection
10    1/29     Caruthers Alexander  TX      Lethal Injection
11    1/30     Loyd Lafevers           OK      Lethal Injection
12    2/1       D.L. Jones                OK      Lethal Injection

As an aside, I want to point out that the webpage to which you linked says that Oklahoma uses vecuronium bromide as the second, sedative drug.  To the best of my knowledge, every other state uses pancuronium as their sedative.  (Anybody aware of another state which employs vecuronium?)  The two drugs are very similar, and for the intents and purposes of lethal injection are effectively interchangeable:

There are two chemical differences between these two drugs.  The first should be fairly easy for anyone to spot, including those without a scientific background.  The second is more complex (think geometric isomerism, stereochemistry, chirality, etc).  Anyone know?
JT's Ridiculous Quote of the Century:
"I'm disgusted with the State for even putting me in this position."
-- Reginald Blanton, Texas death row.  As of October 27, 2009, Reggie's position has been in a coffin.

Moh

Glad to be of service. Oklahoma doesn't seem to have a one-execution-every-three-weeks limitation like Ohio, so they can dispatch these murderers as soon as their appeals have been exhausted.

Sorry, can't help you with the drug question.

heidi salazar

February 06, 2010, 05:31:10 AM Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 02:04:44 PM by Heidi

Awesome discovery, Moh.  There are lots of inmates on that list who are at the Tenth Circuit, so I guess that Oklahoma's death chamber should be kept rather busy over the next eighteen months or two years.  But we know they can handle it.  Back at the start of 2001, Oklahoma executed eight inmates in less than a month.  It was apparently such a special occasion that the BBC was induced into writing an article about it.

1     1/9       Jack Clark               TX       Lethal injection
2     1/9       Eddie Trice              OK       Lethal Injection
3     1/11     Robert Glock            FL       Lethal Injection
4     1/11     Wanda Jean Allen     OK      Lethal Injection
5     1/16     Floyd Medlock          OK      Lethal Injection
6     1/18     Alvin Goodwin          TX      Lethal Injection
7     1/18     Dion Smallwood       OK      Lethal Injection
8     1/23     Mark Fowler             OK      Lethal Injection
9     1/25     Billy Ray Fox            OK      Lethal Injection
10    1/29     Caruthers Alexander  TX      Lethal Injection
11    1/30     Loyd Lafevers           OK      Lethal Injection
12    2/1       D.L. Jones                OK      Lethal Injection

As an aside, I want to point out that the webpage to which you linked says that Oklahoma uses vecuronium bromide as the second, sedative drug.  To the best of my knowledge, every other state uses pancuronium as their sedative.  (Anybody aware of another state which employs vecuronium?)  The two drugs are very similar, and for the intents and purposes of lethal injection are effectively interchangeable:

There are two chemical differences between these two drugs.  The first should be fairly easy for anyone to spot, including those without a scientific background.  The second is more complex (think geometric isomerism, stereochemistry, chirality, etc).  Anyone know?

They have the same molecular formula, but the atoms are arranged differently. They are going to bond differently, but the end result is going to be the same. For sedation purposes pancuronium is administered in a dose of 0.0007 mg/kg and vecuronium in a dose of 0.0005 mg/kg. That is just basic sedation..I would imagine to put a POS down they use a much higher dose. 

Go Up