Virginia Second in Nation for Death Penalty Executions

Started by heidi salazar, November 12, 2009, 12:13:22 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

heidi salazar

Virginia Second in Nation for Death Penalty Executions

On Tuesday, D.C. sniper John Allen Muhammad became the 104th person executed in Virginia since 1976. Next week, another man will die by electrocution. Virginia is second in the nation for death penalty executions

Sniper John Allen Muhammad refused to utter any last words before he was executed Tuesday night.

The 48-year-old took to the grave answers about why and how he plotted the killings of 10 people that terrorized the D.C. area for three weeks in October 2002.

Muhammad died by injection Tuesday night as relatives of the victims watched from behind glass at Greenville Correctional Center, south of Richmond.

Muhammad was the 104th person executed in Virginia since 1976. Next week, Larry Bill Elliot will die by electrocution for the deaths of two people in Woodbridge. Virginia is second in the nation to Texas for death penalty executions.

A group led by the Harrisonburg Unitarian Universalist Church protested Tuesday's execution. Robin McNallie is a member of the church.

"We are mourning the violence that was done on the victims as well as what we feel to be the state's violence on the criminal," says McNallie.

McNallie feels violent criminals deserve to be punished but should stay locked in prison. The frequency of executions has him concerned.

"It tells me that we are behind other states in really looking [at], scrutinizing the death penalty," says McNallie.

Republican state Sen. Mark Obenshain says the number two ranking should not be the focus.

"As long as there are adequate and fair appellate procedures in place, the people of the commonwealth of Virginia and across America strongly support the utilization of a fair and appropriate death penalty," says Obenshain.

According to a Washington Post poll, Virginians favor the death penalty by more than a 2-1 margin in murder cases.

"It seems to me to just perpetuate a cycle of violence," says McNallie.

"Quite frankly, I'm very satisfied that our system here in Virginia is one that yields true and just results," says Obenshain.

Obenshain says this winter the General Assembly will consider a bill that could expand use of the death penalty. It would allow for the execution of people who don't commit a murder but have the same intent to kill or plan it.

The bill has been vetoed before. Obenshain is optimistic Gov.-elect Bob McDonnell will support it.

http://www.whsv.com/home/headlines/69798287.html

zoe-sharm

are you proud of these acts of cruelty?

heidi salazar

I am a bred, born and rasied Virginian and I am stoked that my state is second in the nation for executing justice!

zoe-sharm

then your just as bad !!

how can be happy over this???

some ppl need to rethink what they support!!

dont get me wrong i belive in some things within the dp system but not all!!

there as to be some standards

heidi salazar

The standard in Virginia is....you commit a capital crime you receive capital punishment..

zoe-sharm

ye well maybe they need to get with times and change there standards

heidi salazar

Sorry about your luck...it ain't happening!

What TIMES are you speaking of? What European Nation are you from?

zoe-sharm

who says im from euprope????

well luck as a way of changing and ur luck might come unstuck luv

heidi salazar

I just assumed due to your missuse of there when it should have been their. I know just a lil' nit-pickey

zoe-sharm

ye about things that are not important , lives are important like i say reset ur standards

Granny B

November 12, 2009, 02:49:02 AM Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 02:51:21 AM by Grandmother of Brandon

who says im from euprope????

well luck as a way of changing and ur luck might come unstuck luv

Try Egypt Heidi.  Surprising that someone who wears a Burka and is not allowed to drive would be such a supporter of criminals who murder.  But then since she is such a supporter of a terrorist Muslim like John Muhammad I guess she is probably happy that he murdered so many Americans.
" Closure? Closure is a misused word in the English language.  There is no such thing as closure for the family of a murder victim.  There will never be any closure for the death of our loved ones until we are dead ourselves.  The families have a lifetime sentence of anguish and sadness." 
Susan Levy

zoe-sharm

lol i wish i drived hahaha

burka they freek me out , plus my religeon wont let me wear 1 as im c.o.e

shame really

Anne

The standard in Virginia is....you commit a capital crime you receive capital punishment..

I would like to write this sentence but the death penalty is abolished in Belgium  :-[  :'(

Justice must be serve ! Execute the guilty  :-* Honor the victims  :-*

God bless Virginia and all States who give the capital punishment  :-*

Anne

Go Up