"Tennessee's Death Penalty Gets A Closer Look"

Started by ScoopD (aka: Pam), July 02, 2007, 01:43:31 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

ScoopD (aka: Pam)

Tennessee lawmakers are taking a hard look at the state's death penalty and whether or not it's fair.

Exactly one week before Philip Workman's execution just two months ago, a question about the percentage of people on Tennessee's death row being from one county.

Workman wondered why Shelby County, his home town with only 15% of the state's population, made up nearly half of those on death row.

Experts ask themselves if Shelby County is a more violent county or were county prosecutors more aggressive in their pursuit of the death penalty?

Those are just a couple of questions of a growing list that a new state commission will study.

Anti-capital punishment advocates, like State Coalition Against State Sponsored Killing, lobbied lawmakers hard to change their stance and approve the death penalty study commission this year.

One advocate said, "We thought that asking the legislature to take a look and at least insure that the death penalty was fair in Tennessee was a very reasonable step."

Lawmakers deemed that 16 people ranging from victim rights advocates to capital punishment opponents will make up the commission.

Six of those people will be appointed by the Governor and leaders of both legislative chambers.

The commission will have a year to write a report for lawmakers to consider.

source: http://wkrn.com/nashville/news/tennessees-death-penalty-gets-closer-look/104834.htm
<br /><br />If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine<br /><br />My reason for supporting capital punishment: My cousin 16 yr. old Amanda Greenwell was murdered in March of 2004 at the hands of serial killer Jeremy Bryan Jones.

Mildred

Shelby county is deadly! One weekend a few weeks ago, there were over 6 murders in that city.  IN ONE WEEKEND!  I don't like Shelby County!

pizzpoor

What city is in such a county? Is it Memphis or Nashville? If its Memphis, theres youre answer right there. Thats where we need to send our troops for realistic training before shipping them off to Baghdad. :)

Mildred

It's Memphis.  Each and every morning, there's something on the news about a murder.  Right up the damned road.

I've been to Memphis.  Cyn drove me all around Memphis...   I've even had handcuffs on  :o in a little police station in a town bordering Memphis and I've partied in the parking lot of the county jail too.    ;)  Whata trip that was...   huh Cyn  lol    ;D

I didn't like Memphis...  too many skanks live there. and i'm not talking low income impoverished people either..   
<br /><br />If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine<br /><br />My reason for supporting capital punishment: My cousin 16 yr. old Amanda Greenwell was murdered in March of 2004 at the hands of serial killer Jeremy Bryan Jones.

Posh

I think this is productive. ;)
"Some have been thought brave because they were afraid to run away."
"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome."

Oh the stories I could tell you Posh...   i'll save them for a rainy day   ;)

James

Tennessee lawmakers are taking a hard look at the state's death penalty and whether or not it's fair.

Exactly one week before Philip Workman's execution just two months ago, a question about the percentage of people on Tennessee's death row being from one county.

Workman wondered why Shelby County, his home town with only 15% of the state's population, made up nearly half of those on death row.

Experts ask themselves if Shelby County is a more violent county or were county prosecutors more aggressive in their pursuit of the death penalty?

Those are just a couple of questions of a growing list that a new state commission will study.

Anti-capital punishment advocates, like State Coalition Against State Sponsored Killing, lobbied lawmakers hard to change their stance and approve the death penalty study commission this year.

One advocate said, "We thought that asking the legislature to take a look and at least insure that the death penalty was fair in Tennessee was a very reasonable step."

Lawmakers deemed that 16 people ranging from victim rights advocates to capital punishment opponents will make up the commission.

Six of those people will be appointed by the Governor and leaders of both legislative chambers.

The commission will have a year to write a report for lawmakers to consider.

source: http://wkrn.com/nashville/news/tennessees-death-penalty-gets-closer-look/104834.htm

What the hell are these assclowns doing? The Prosecutors are just doing thier. A commission to see if the prosecutors are aggressively seeking the DP, what a bunch of shiat!
You Talking To Me!!!!!!!!

Mildred

I've been to Memphis.  Cyn drove me all around Memphis...   I've even had handcuffs on  :o in a little police station in a town bordering Memphis and I've partied in the parking lot of the county jail too.    ;)  Whata trip that was...   huh Cyn  lol    ;D

I didn't like Memphis...  too many skanks live there. and i'm not talking low income impoverished people either..   

I know not of what you speak.  And I will have to say that in all future discussion's about your trip to Memphis.  My lawyers have advised me to say that.  ;) ;) ;)  ??? ??? ???
I can do one thing, though.  I can confirm that yes...Memphis is full of skanks.

Tell your lawyers they can kiss my lilly white tush!    :P :P :P :P :P

I want a do over..  there's a few things I wish I had done..   Can I have a do-over Cyn?

Mildred

Tell your lawyers they can kiss my lilly white tush!    :P :P :P :P :P

I want a do over..  there's a few things I wish I had done..   Can I have a do-over Cyn?

Do-over request......GRANTED!!  Now you just have to say "mother may I?"  And I'll say "GREEN LIGHT!!!!!"  Think of all the new people we could drunk call this time!

OMG    yeah   didn't we drunk call Jason and Shawni?   

Mother May I?

Booboo1962

I know not of what you speak.  And I will have to say that in all future discussion's about your trip to Memphis.  My lawyers have advised me to say that.  ;) ;) ;)  ??? ??? ???
I can do one thing, though.  I can confirm that yes...Memphis is full of skanks.

I have been there Beale street was great.  there are skanks everywhere.   wait til you come to Florida. 

Mildred

OMG    yeah   didn't we drunk call Jason and Shawni?  

Mother May I?

We did!  I was slumped in the back seat talking to them as Emily drove us through the freakin boonies and the storms were starting.

Yes, you may.

Mildred

I have been there Beale street was great.  there are skanks everywhere.   wait til you come to Florida. 

Last time I was on Beale, I was with my brothers and kinda got into a little tiff in the bathroom of 151.   ??? They were bitches

Go Up