Recent Posts

Pages1 2 3 ... 10
Stays of Execution / Re: Ivan Teleguz - VA - 4/13/1...
Last post by madgenealogist - January 15, 2018, 09:28:57 PM
Wait, if we execute him aliens will invade earth.  He is our only hope against zombies.  ;D   Seriously though, fry the murderer, he's a worthless scumbag who wastes tax dollars. 
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/virginia-governor-commutes-sentence-of-death-row-prisoner/2017/04/20/e988146c-25db-11e7-bb9d-8cd6118e1409_story.html?utm_term=.12bb6304ef5e 

Well, it's been nice not having aliens or zombies. Really though, you know someone is guilty and you're going to let that person live? I haven't seen any news about this murderer trying to prove his innocence now that he's no longer on death row. I guess he knows LWOP is his best hope since he's guilty.
Scheduled Executions / Re: Upcoming Scheduled Executi...
Last post by madgenealogist - January 15, 2018, 09:25:03 PM
I hope Texas finally executes the tourniquet killer. 
Scheduled Executions / Re: Thomas Bartlett Whitaker -...
Last post by madgenealogist - January 15, 2018, 09:23:50 PM
I'm surprised there is no thread for Anthony Shore. Anyway, I hope Texas executes both of these murderers.
U.S. Death Penalty Discussion / Re: Inmate's request sets stag...
Last post by resist - January 14, 2018, 08:21:12 PM
Do it.

He was also a former welder and believes that electrocution is a more humane way to die.

"Electricity, 2000-3000 volts of electricity right through a person's brain will render you dead within seconds," said Doty.
He's right. That's why they put one of the electrodes right on the top of the head. They start with a short burst of high voltage, and then usually switch to longer, lower jolts at lower voltages. The high voltage jolts pass right through the skull, right through the brain, causing instant unconsciousness and quick brain-death.

We know that it passes right through the brain because when they do an autopsy, mandatory in some states, they can see the damage to the brain. The only exception was during the first attempt to electrocute Willy Frances, who remained conscious during the execution. Apparently the voltage was too low to penetrate his skull, due to the equipment not being wired correctly or tested.

Florida's current electrocution protocol calls for 2,300 volts at 9.5amps for 8 seconds, followed by 1000 volts, 4 amps for 22 seconds, followed by another 2,300 volts at 9.5 amps for another 8 seconds. Whole thing is over in 38 seconds, and I've never heard of them having to throw the switch a second time in Florida, probably because of the high amperage. The voltage and amperage are more than enough to cause instant unconsciousness and certain death.

Even when the heart starts up again as it does on rare occasions, it would eventually stop on its own because the damage already done is unsurvivable. That's the real reason they wait 5 minutes in some states to check for a pulse. Personally I don't have a problem if they throw the switch again; the inert corpse in the chair feels nothing.

The exact path of the electricity through the brain doesn't matter; people receiving much, much lower, non-lethal amperages through the skull in electroshock therapy are rendered unconscious regardless of where the electrodes are placed, and they remember nothing. As it happens tho the path tends to pass right through the brain stem on its way out.

The electric chair was originally designed to try to get the electricity to continue down the spinal chord, destroying it too. That's why during the first electrocution, the second electrode was placed at the base of the condemned criminal's back instead of on the calf of the leg. They moved it to avoid burning the thin skin over the spine, and to avoid the awkwardness of cutting a man's trousers right above his butt. I suggest they try different spots (as long as one is over the head, it's a guaranteed quick kill so I have no problem with experimenting). A larger contact area would result in less burning.

In any case, cosmetic problems do not constitute cruelty. Electrocution is the most humane method of execution on the books; it should be explicitly ruled humane and not in any way unconstitutional. On the contrary, because of problems that have come up with lethal injection, it should be explicitly recommended as a primary method of execution, as it used to be. Not that I have anything against hanging or shooting either.

Furthermore, condemned criminals should not have an option to choose their method of execution. It's not an option; it's being imposed on them as punishment for their crime(s).

The electric chair was used to rid the country of something over a thousand criminals, overwhelmingly without incident, and even the incidents that happened were pretty minor in the greater scheme of things, like alternative methods of execution, or for that matter, compared to the crime itself.

Is Doty seeking the electric chair as a delay tactic?
I doubt it, but his motives aren't relevant anyway. He's not holding up his execution; the state is.

No matter what method they use, someone's going to complain. Everyone should stop over-thinking this. Reinstate the electric chair and use it without hesitation to make the world a better place by permanently removing dangerous criminals from it.
Scheduled Executions / Re: Quisi Bryan - OH - 10/26/2...
Last post by ChevyWolken - January 11, 2018, 06:47:23 PM
Thats quite an schedule, hope on 10/25/2022 nobody find the procedure in  a rush and some important things had to be evaluated first

Stays of Execution / Re: Vernon Madison - AL - 1/25...
Last post by Grinning Grim Reaper - January 09, 2018, 04:12:00 PM
U.S. Supreme court won't hear Mobile cop-killer's appeal

The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday rejected a request by a convicted Mobile cop-killer, who is scheduled to be executed Jan. 25, to rehear his appeal.

The U.S. Supreme Court (SCOTUS) had ruled in November that Alabama can execute Vernon Madison, a death row inmate who claims to be mentally incompetent. Madison initially was granted a stay of his execution by SCOTUS just hours before his scheduled 2016 execution.

Madison, 67, one of Alabama's longest-serving death row inmates, was convicted in the April 1985 slaying of Mobile police officer Cpl. Julius Schulte.

In November, however, SCOTUS unanimously reversed its earlier decision, saying Madison is competent and can be executed. "More than 30 years ago, Vernon Madison crept up behind police officer Julius Schulte and shot him twice in the head at close range," that ruling stated.

In its ruling Monday to reject Madison's request for a rehearing, SCOTUS did not issue a written explanation.

Courts had been split on whether Madison was competent to be executed.

Madison faced a state competency hearing before his scheduled 2016 execution, where he claimed several strokes he recently suffered affected his mental status and made him unable to remember his crimes or remember that he was on death row. The trial court denied Madison's petition, and said the execution could proceed.

But then the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled Madison was incompetent and he could not be executed.

www.al.com
Scheduled Executions / Re: Thomas Bartlett Whitaker -...
Last post by ouchthathurts - January 06, 2018, 11:05:12 PM

"a Fort Bend jury settled on a death sentence for the mastermind behind the plot"

Ha, mastermind, I think not. Grade "A" moron I'd say
Scheduled Executions / Re: Quisi Bryan - OH - 10/26/2...
Last post by ouchthathurts - January 06, 2018, 10:58:56 PM

I bet he'll feel a bit queasy (QWEE'-zee) once he's strapped to the gurney.

Getting executed for a traffic violation, what a loser.  :P
Once busy Oklahoma death chamber stays quiet into 3rd year

By SEAN MURPHY | Associated Press

OKLAHOMA CITY - Oklahoma, a state with one of the busiest death chambers in the country in recent decades, will enter its third year without an execution in 2018 while prison officials and state attorneys fine tune its procedure for putting condemned inmates to death.

Oklahoma Attorney General Mike Hunter said last week he was planning to meet with top prison officials and that he expected more clarity on the state's new lethal injection protocols "in the next two or three weeks."

"We need to feel some urgency, but we also need to get it done right," Hunter said. "I'd say both of those things are equally important."

Republican Gov. Mary Fallin said she has confidence in Hunter and Department of Corrections Director Joe Allbaugh to develop new protocols, but acknowledged the challenge the state faces in acquiring the lethal drugs.

"The most solemn responsibility for a state is the taking of a life," Fallin said in a statement Friday. "The state needs to be certain that its protocols and procedures for executions work."

Of the 2,817 death row inmates awaiting execution in 32 states, 47 of them are in Oklahoma, according to the Washington, D.C.-based Death Penalty Information Center.

Like many death penalty states, Oklahoma has struggled in the past decade to obtain the lethal drugs used in executions as manufacturers, including many in Europe, have said they don't want their products used to kill people.

Fallin reiterated her support of the death penalty for those who commit "heinous crimes" and said she's prepared for executions to resume under her watch once the new protocols have been approved by the court.

Allbaugh, the state's new prisons director, has declined repeated requests by The Associated Press to discuss the new execution procedures, and a spokesman for the agency said only that they are continuing to work on the protocols. Oklahoma law also allows for the use of firing squad, electric chair or nitrogen hypoxia to perform executions, but Allbaugh has previously said he doesn't intend for Oklahoma to become the first state to use nitrogen gas to execute inmates.

Since executions halted, 16 Oklahoma death row inmates have exhausted their federal appeals and are awaiting dates to be sent to the death chamber inside the Oklahoma State Penitentiary in McAlester.

And, a federal lawsuit challenging Oklahoma's execution protocols as unconstitutional remains dormant in federal district court in Oklahoma City, but is expected to be reactivated once the new protocols are released, said Dale Baich, a federal public defender representing a group of Oklahoma death row inmates.

"We'll review the protocol and at some point, approach the court with our concerns," Baich said.

The attorney general's office has said in court filings that it will not request any execution dates until at least 150 days -- or about five months -- after the new protocols are released.

The death penalty has bipartisan support in the Oklahoma Legislature, and more than two-thirds of state voters supported a pro-death penalty question on the ballot in 2016.

www.foxnews.com
U.S. Death Penalty Discussion / Re: Inmate's request sets stag...
Last post by Rick4404 - December 20, 2017, 10:35:15 PM
Mr. Edison? Help this man check out!
I assume all that was done is that "Old Sparky" was put into storage, and that it could be made ready for an execution without too much trouble. As I recall from various news reports, the Florida State Prison used a generator from which electricity was sent into the death chamber, and accordingly sent electricity into the transformer and electric cables which were attached to electrodes in the headpiece and ankle electrodes. I assume all those pieces of equipment could be taken out of storage and made ready for use if and when the time comes.

Photo of the execution chamber at the Florida State Prison, set up for an electrocution:
Pages1 2 3 ... 10