New Hampshire Death Penalty News

Started by Jeff1857, December 04, 2007, 03:38:52 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Angelstorms OL'Man

Hell I will buy it open a company   "K's mobile scum removal Service/shooting range"
This was designed to hurt....Its a SEAL Candace unless you have been there yo will never understand...

JTiscool

I would volunteer to do some construction on that in exchange for them to actually use it  :D
My reason for supporting the death penalty? A murderer has less of a right to live than his victim and already presents a danger while incarcerated for life. They have nothing to lose when the most they can get is Life in prison without parole.

turboprinz

Day-long hearing set in death sentence appeal

Posted: Nov 12, 2012 4:29 PM Updated: Nov 12, 2012 4:29 PM
By LYNNE TUOHY
Associated Press

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) - New Hampshire's only death-row inmate will have his day in court - all day - when the state Supreme Court hears arguments in his case.

Michael Addison was sentenced to death for gunning down 35-year-old Manchester Police Officer Michael Briggs in 2006, when Briggs tried to arrest him on robbery charges.

The court will be deliberating the death penalty for the first time in more than 50 years - deciding whether Addison's sentence is just or was a product of passion or prejudice

Court observers say the day-long hearing on Michael Addison's conviction and death sentence is unprecedented. A typical hearing lasts half an hour.

If his sentence is carried out, Addison would be the first convict executed in New Hampshire since 1939.

Arguments begin at 9 a.m. Wednesday.
http://www.fox44abc22yourvoice.com/story/20072447/day-long-hearing-set-in-death-sentence-appeal
I apologize for my not perfect English. Hopefully you understand what I mean. If not - ask me. I will try to explain.

turboprinz

Trial to begin in NH police officer's shooting
By LYNNE TUOHY, Associated Press | December 1, 2012 | Updated: December 1, 2012 9:20am

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) -- Weeks after a Manchester police officer and the man accused of shooting him first confronted each other in a courtroom, they'll face off again at trial this week.

Prosecutors say Myles Webster of Litchfield, 23, shot Officer Daniel Doherty five times as the officer closed in on him during a foot chase in March. Webster is charged with attempted murder and other felonies in the shooting, and jury selection was set to begin Monday in the case.

During a hearing in November, Doherty testified in front of Webster about that night. He said he was about to tackle Webster when he heard a gunshot and felt an explosion of pain in his shin.

Webster's lawyers sought unsuccessfully to have his trial moved out of Manchester, where the state's only death row inmate, Michael Addison, was convicted of shooting to death a Manchester police officer in 2006. Addison could become the first convicted killer executed in New Hampshire since 1939.

Webster has been in custody since his arrest he day after Doherty was shot.

Doherty, now 27, was the first uniformed officer to respond to a plainclothes officer's request for assistance to apprehend a man who was acting agitated and was yelling at drivers.

Doherty said he first encountered Webster in an alley between two buildings, identified himself as a police officer and shouted, "Show me your hands." He said Webster fled instead and he followed.

As they rounded a corner, Doherty said, Webster wheeled and began firing.

Manchester Detective Patrick Houghton testified in April that Webster emptied his gun while firing at Doherty, and 15 bullet casings were retrieved at the scene. Houghton said Webster was apprehended in a nearby backyard and a gun was retrieved from the property.

Houghton said a woman who was with Webster during the hours before the shooting told police Webster was agitated and emotional and had been acting that way earlier at an apartment where he had been drinking. He told her in the car that if he was arrested, he would go to jail for life and would "take out a cop" if police ever came to arrest him.

Doherty returned fire, but his shots went wide.

When he was being booked, Houghton testified, Webster said, "You might as well just kill me. I'm going to jail for life."

Lawyers for both sides will make their opening remarks either late Monday or early Tuesday. The trial is expected to last two weeks.

Webster was also charged with attempted robbery, two felony counts of reckless conduct and resisting arrest.

http://www.chron.com/news/article/Trial-to-begin-in-NH-police-officer-s-shooting-4083272.php
I apologize for my not perfect English. Hopefully you understand what I mean. If not - ask me. I will try to explain.

JTiscool

Thankfully the officer survived.
My reason for supporting the death penalty? A murderer has less of a right to live than his victim and already presents a danger while incarcerated for life. They have nothing to lose when the most they can get is Life in prison without parole.

turboprinz

New Hampshire could become next state to abolish the death penalty
New Hampshire, which has sentenced only one man to death since it reinstated the penalty, could become the next state to abolish it.
April 10, 2014

CONCORD, N.H., April 10 (UPI) -- New Hampshire, which has sentenced only one man to death since it reinstated the penalty, could become the next state to abolish it.

A bill repealing the death penalty   that passed the state House of Representatives 225-104 was released Tuesday by the Senate Judiciary Committee in a 2-2 vote. The full Senate is expected to act on the measure next week in what is likely to be a close vote.

Gov. Maggie Hassan supports abolition and is expected to sign the bill if it gets to her desk. In 2000, then-Gov. Jeanne Shaheen, like Hassan a Democrat, vetoed an abolition bill.

New Hampshire reinstated the death penalty in 1991, after the U.S. Supreme Court found it to be constitutional while overturning most state capital punishment laws in the 1970s. But the state has not executed anyone since 1939 and has not set up an execution chamber for lethal injections.

The only inmate under sentence of death is Michael Addison, who was convicted of killing Manchester Police Officer Michael Briggs in 2006.

During Tuesday's committee hearing, most of the speakers were pro-repeal. But Sen. Sharron Carson, the Republican chairwoman of the committee, said she feared Addison's execution would be impossible if the bill becomes law, even though, as written, it would not commute any death sentences.

New Hampshire would be the 19th state to abolish the death penalty, along with the District of Columbia.

Legislatures in five states have repealed death penalty statutes adopted after the Supreme Court rulings, beginning with New Jersey in 2007. New Mexico, Maryland and Connecticut still have inmates under death sentence after abolition.

New Hampshire is the only New England state where the death penalty remains legal. Neighboring Maine abolished the penalty in 1887 and Vermont in 1964, while Massachusetts and Rhode Island had statutes on the books until 1984, when they were overturned by the courts.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2014/04/10/New-Hampshire-could-become-next-state-to-abolish-the-death-penalty/1391397139683/

Grinning Grim Reaper

New Hampshire Death Penalty Repeal Fails by 1 Vote

CONCORD, N.H. April 17, 2014 (AP)
By LYNNE TUOHY Associated Press

New Hampshire's Senate has voted to leave intact the state's centuries-old death penalty.

Lawmakers voted 12-12 Thursday on a death penalty repeal measure. The tie means capital punishment will stay on the books.

Last month, the House voted in favor of repeal, and Gov. Maggie Hassan (HASS'-ehn) had said she would sign the measure into law.

New Hampshire last executed someone in 1939.

The repeal measure would have kept the state's lone death row inmate eligible for execution. Michael Addison was convicted in 2008 of killing a Manchester police officer two years earlier. His case is being appealed.

It was the closest a repeal measure has come in New Hampshire since 2000. That year, both houses passed it, but it was vetoed by then-Gov. Jeanne Shaheen, a Democrat.

www.abcnews.go.com

So what do you think about that ANTIs?  :D :-\ :P ;D
Vengence is mine saith the Lord...who are we to question the instruments used to carry it out?

Grinning Grim Reaper

NH Senate defeats death penalty repeal, tables suspension

Posted: Mar 03, 2016 9:18 AM CST

Updated: Mar 03, 2016 11:42 AM CST

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) - The New Hampshire Senate has defeated a measure to repeal the death penalty and tabled another that would have suspended its use until methods exist to ensure an innocent person isn't executed.

Thursday's vote mirrored a 2014 repeal effort that deadlocked in the 24-member Senate.

New Hampshire is the only state in New England with the death penalty still on the books. The state's last execution took place in 1939.

Death penalty opponents said after the vote that they're heartened that several senators who have been staunch supporters of the death penalty now support its repeal or suspension.

Michael Addison, who was convicted of killing a Manchester police officer in 2006, is the state's only person on death row. The bill would not affect anyone sentenced to death prior to suspension.

www.wcax.com
Vengence is mine saith the Lord...who are we to question the instruments used to carry it out?

Go Up