Ledell Lee - AR - 4/20/17

Started by Grinning Grim Reaper, April 20, 2017, 08:41:02 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Grinning Grim Reaper

Arkansas Supreme Court denies stay of execution for Ledell Lee

by Kimberly Rusley/KATV

LITTLE ROCK (KATV) -- The Arkansas Supreme Court has denied one of death row inmate Ledell Lee's motions to stay his execution.

The motion denied was one of several Lee had made before the state's highest court.

Lee is scheduled to be executed Thursday night. The only thing in place preventing the state from going ahead with the execution is a judge's temporary restraining order blocking the use of one of the drugs in the state's lethal injection protocol.

Ledell Lee's execution is on hold due to a temporary restraining order on the state's use of vecuronium bromide, the ACLU is stepping in asking for a full stay of execution.

Lee was sentenced to death in 1995 after being convicted of killing 26-year-old Debra Reese in her Jacksonville home in 1993. Before strangling her, Lee beat her with a tire iron 36 times.

Reese wasn't Lee's only victim. There were four others. All four women were raped and beaten within a couple of miles of each other in the Sunnyside neighborhood.

Lee maintains his innocence in all cases, but was a no-show at his own clemency hearing in March. Reese's son, Joseph Lucky, was there.

"Ledell Lee showed no leniency to any of the victims he encountered," said Lucky. "He is the embodiment of the kind of evil that should never exist in this world."

Lucky remembers the day his mother was murdered and asked the board to follow through with Lee's execution.

"And my family has lived in the shadow of this event our entire lives, and I'm asking you and begging you to please let us have some closure," said Lucky. "Let this end, let us step out from this shadow."

The board denied clemency for Lee, because of the nature of the crime and the fact that lee had multiple victims.

www.katv.com
Vengence is mine saith the Lord...who are we to question the instruments used to carry it out?

Grinning Grim Reaper

The state of Arkansas executed Ledell Lee last evening

Last words and such...

Lee declined to make a final statement.

In lieu of a last meal he requested and received communion

Factoids...

Lee was the 1st condemned murderer executed in Arkansas this year and the 28th since executions resumed
His was the 7th 2017 US executions and the 1449th since 1976

The skinny...

Three Arkansas DR inmates dodged the bullet this week but Lee was not so lucky.  He became the first execution in Arkansas in seven years when he was lit up at 11:56 PM CDT...four minutes before the death warrant expired.

Up next...

Arkansas has a doubleheader scheduled for April 24, 2017:

Marcel Wayne Williams is set to be executed for the 1994 murder of Stacy Erickson and Jack Harold Jones for the 1996 murder of Mary Phillips.
Vengence is mine saith the Lord...who are we to question the instruments used to carry it out?

Amanda

The skinny...

Three Arkansas DR inmates dodged the bullet this week but Lee was not so lucky.  He became the first execution in Arkansas in seven years...

Actually, according to http://adc.arkansas.gov/executions, Lee was the first inmate executed in over 11 years, not 7. The execution before Lee's took place in Nov. 2005. :)
Great job, Arkansas! I admire its willingness to execute, as many inmates' punishments are long overdue. It's time for other states to step up and follow Arkansas' example.

turboprinz

Give the scumbag a face....
I apologize for my not perfect English. Hopefully you understand what I mean. If not - ask me. I will try to explain.

Go Up