Listing of California Death Row Inmates J - K

Started by Jeff1857, May 24, 2009, 08:27:38 AM

previous topic - next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Go Down


May 24, 2009, 08:27:38 AM Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 06:39:18 PM by Jeff1857
Phillip Carl Jablonski
In Burlingame, Ca., Philip Jablonski  fatally shot Carol Spadoni (47), who had married him in 1982 while he was in prison. He also raped, sodomized and shot her mother Eva Petersen (72). A day earlier he had killed Fathyma Vann in Riverside County. He was on parole after serving 12 years for the 1978 murder of his girlfriend Melinda Kimball. In 2006 the California Supreme Court upheld his death sentence.

Bailey Jackson
Date of crime: 5/01
Jackson killed 81-year-old, Geraldine Myers; the victim's body was never found.  A witness testified that Jackson admitted that he killed a woman and dumped her body along a freeway.  Jackson was linked to the crime by scent evidence from an envelope that was left at the scene.  The defense argued the canine scent evidence was unreliable.  Jackson was previously tried, but that trial resulted in a mistrial because the jury could not agree on what punishment to impose.  Jackson was tried after he was arrested for sexually assaulting and attempting to murder another elderly woman.  In mitigation, Jackson was from an abusive home.

Earl Lloyd Jackson
A man has been sentenced to death for the second time for the 1977 murders of 2 elderly neighbors in Long Beach. A judge on Thursday imposed the death penalty on 52-year-old Lloyd Earl Jackson.
Jackson, who was 19 at the time of the killings, was previously sentenced to death for fatally beating 81-year-old Vernita Curtis and strangling 90-year-old Gladys Ott in their apartments. But in 2008 a federal appeals court ordered a retrial on two elements that qualified the cases for the death penalty.
Resentenced to Death 4/15/10.

Jonathon Keith Jackson

Michael A. Jackson
Shortly after noon on August 31, 1983, West Covina Police Officer Ken Wrede radioed that he had been told by a citizen of an intoxicated person in the area and would "be checking." A few minutes later, Edward Butler, who was working in the area, noticed defendant walking toward the corner of Glenview Road and Francisquito Avenue. Defendant was walking "kinda crooked." Officer Wrede arrived, made a U-turn, and pulled to the curb at an angle. He radioed that defendant was "possibly dusted," meaning under the influence of phencyclidine (PCP), and requested backup. Officer Wrede got out of the vehicle, asked defendant where he was going, and told defendant to sit down on the curb. Defendant began to walk away and the officer used his walkie-talkie to again request backup. The officer again told defendant to sit down on the curb, but defendant continued walking. The officer approached defendant "and kind of tapped him in the back of the knees with the billy club." Defendant "turned around and he started fighting."
Defendant and the officer fell to the ground and began "tussling" and fighting. Defendant was punching and kicking the officer. Officer Wrede tried to defend himself and struck defendant in the midsection with his baton several times, to no effect. Officer Wrede sprayed mace in defendant's face several times, with no apparent effect. Defendant pulled a wooden tree stake out of the ground, uprooting the tree it was supporting, and swung the stake at the officer, who blocked it with his baton, causing the stake to fly into the street. During the altercation, defendant ripped the officer's badge from his uniform and broke his sunglasses.
Officer Wrede ran to the driver's side door of the police vehicle and defendant ran to the opposite side of the vehicle, opened the passenger side door and grabbed a shotgun that was secured in a rack. Officer Wrede broadcast, "he's got my shotgun rack," and then pushed defendant and they struggled over the shotgun until defendant ripped the shotgun and the rack from the vehicle. Officer Wrede broadcast, "he pulled it out," and then pointed his handgun at defendant over the roof of the vehicle. The shotgun was kept in the rack at "patrol ready," meaning there were four rounds of ammunition in the magazine and the safety was on. To fire the shotgun, the safety must be off and a round must be moved from the magazine to the firing chamber by sliding the pump action. Defendant attempted to load a round into the shotgun by sliding the pump. He pointed the weapon at the victim and appeared to pull the trigger, but the shotgun did not fire. Defendant again tried to load the weapon, which was still in the rack. This time, defendant was able to move the slide and Dunham heard the sound of a load entering the firing chamber of the shotgun. Officer Wrede crouched down behind the vehicle, still pointing his gun at defendant. Defendant then laid the shotgun on the roof of the vehicle and placed his hands on the roof of the vehicle, appearing to give up. Officer Wrede pointed his gun up, above defendant, and started to walk around the vehicle when defendant picked up the shotgun and shot the officer in the head. Sentenced to Death in 1984.

Noel Jackson
Victim:  Sonja Niles
date of crime:  12/13/84
sentenced: 6/2/89
opinion:  judgment affirmed,  People v. Jackson (1986)13 Cal. 4th 1164.
co-def: Michael Niles, lwop
Defendant found guilty of murder for hire. Co-def, Michael Niles, was to pay Jackson  $5,000 to murder his wife, Sonja Niles, a correctional officer, because she had "messed with him when he was playing basketball" (Niles had been a college and, briefly, professional basketball player) and that she had "sent his brother to prison."
A neighbor of Sonja Niles saw a car on the street with its lights off.  Two or three minutes later, she heard gunshots, looked out window and saw man run to car and drive off.  Police found Ms. Niles, dead, killed by a shotgun blast, the muzzle pressed to the back of her head.
A few hours later, co-def called the police and reported that he was having trouble contacting his wife. They told him to come on down to the station.  He did, driving the get away car the neighbor identified.  Niles confessed and said Jackson shot his wife.  When the police arrested Jackson, he said Niles shot her. However, Jackson's clothes were covered in blood and the forensics did not match other details of his story.

Christopher Jasso
Christopher Guy Jasso, 37, was convicted Dec. 1 of first-degree murder for gunning down Carlos Rafael Cuellar Cardona, 30, on Sept. 7, 2003. The cab driver was found with two bullet wounds to the head on Aztec Street about 12:30 that morning.
Sentenced to Death 1/8/10

Daniel Jenkins
A man on death row for gunning down an LAPD detective in 1985 in front of the policeman's 6-year-old son has asked for a new trial, alleging that police and prosecutors concocted evidence and steered witness testimony in his first trial.
Daniel S. Jenkins, 48, who was convicted of killing Det. Thomas C. Williams in retaliation for the lawman's testimony against him in an armed robbery and assault trial. Two other men, whom Jenkins offered to pay $10,000 to kill Williams, were also convicted for their involvement in the murder.

Martin Carl Jennings
Sentenced to death for the murder of his 5 year old son at 02/07/1996.  Co-defendant was his wife Michelle. The body of the boy was found at the bottom of an abandoned mine shaft.
The boy was murdered about 3 months after he moved from an aunt in Montana back to his parents.

Wilbur Jennings
Jennings is on death row for 4 other murders in Fresno County. Sheriffs say most of his victims were prostitutes. But Reinke, was an elderly woman who lived alone.
DNA linked him in 2008 to the murder of Clarice Reinke. The victim was 76 year old Clarice Reinke she was raped and murdered in her rural home in 1983. The sheriff says DNA helped investigators track down the suspects who were already serving time for the same brutal crimes.

Billy Joe Johnson
An Orange County judge sentenced 46-year-old Billy Joe Johnson on Monday for murdering his childhood friend in 2002. Johnson had requested the sentence because he believes Death Row inmates are treated better. Johnson was convicted last month for the killing of Scott Miller and a jury recommended death. Prosecutors say Johnson took Miller to an alley where two other men shot him for divulging gang secrets during a Fox TV interview. Johnson is serving a 45-year-to-life sentence for a 2004 gang-related murder. He told jurors he killed two other people to try to convince them he deserved the death penalty
Sentenced to Death 11/23/09.

Brian Johnsen
The California Supreme Court yesterday unanimously upheld the death sentence imposed on a young San Diego man for the murder of a pregnant woman who may have planned to reveal a plot to kill a drug dealer.
In an opinion by Justice Joyce L. Kennard, the court rejected the contention that Robert Jurado Jr.'s confrontation rights were violated when testimony given in an earlier proceeding by a key witness was admitted at his trial for the murder of Teresa Holloway.
Jurado was 20 years old when Holloway, 26, was strangled and beaten to death May 15, 1991. Her body was found in a culvert beneath Highway 163 in San Diego County two days later.
Prosecutors alleged that Jurado; his girlfriend Anna Humiston; and Denise Shigemura killed Holloway after she learned of their plan to kill Doug Mynatt. Witnesses testified that Mynatt sold methamphetamine and that his customers included Jurado and Brian Johnsen, who had been living with Holloway up until about a month before she was killed.
Humiston, a 17-year-old Patrick Henry High School student at the time of the murder, became a suspect after she bragged to her friends at school that she held the victim while Jurado strangled her. Humiston was sentenced to 25 years to life in state prison, as was Shigemura, who shared an apartment with Jurado.

Cedric Jerome Johnson

Cleamon Johnson
Cleamon "Big Evil" Johnson, described by police detectives and FBI agents as the city's most violent gang member, was sentenced to death Friday, along with co-defendant Michael "Fat Rat" Allen, for the 1991 murders of two men at a South-Central Los Angeles carwash.
In another case, prosecutors said an inmate known as "Big Evil" was assigned as a trusty after being sentenced to death for killing two people in South Los Angeles in 1991. Cleamon Johnson, a leader in the violent street gang 89 Family Bloods, was in County Jail awaiting trial on a new murder case at the time. While an inmate worker, prosecutors said, Johnson used his privileges to intimidate witnesses against him.
In these days of support groups, Violet Loggins could start a large one for people whose husbands, sons, brothers, daughters or friends were murdered by one man. Loggins' own mourning began seven years ago. Her husband, Donald Ray Loggins, worked at a local cable company, and since the birth of their son five months earlier, he had been as punctual as a Marine Corps reveille. He would pull into the driveway of their pleasant two-bedroom, South-Central Los Angeles home at 2:45 p.m. to watch the baby while Violet got ready for her swing-shift job. But on Aug. 5, 1991, Violet was sitting on the couch, cradling their child and staring at the telephone, wondering why her husband was so late.
Loggins and his friend were killed because they lived east of Central Avenue, a dividing line between (Kitchen) Crips and Bloods. Evil says neither was a gang member, but Johnson, seeking to provide a newly recruited Blood with a mission to earn his stripes, spotted them and issued their death sentences.
In total, police attribute more than 20 murders to Johnson. But even using the lower figure to which Johnson has confessed, that means he murdered as many people as "Freeway Killer" William Bonin or "Night Stalker" Richard Ramirez. In all likelihood, Evil's relative obscurity has to do with where the slaughter occurred. No celebrities among these victims. No Palos Verdes bankers or Newport Beach realtors. These were innocents just trying to survive, or young gang members in way over their heads. Johnson's defense tried to portray him as a victim of geography. "Evil is a product of 89th and Central," said Joe Orr, counsel for Johnson's co-defendant, Michael "Fat Rat" Allen. "With his charm, there's no telling how far he could have gone. He was talented, but his abilities were diverted to the streets. If he had been raised in a different area, this would not have happened." 
'Big Evil's' Reign Appears Over for Good; Courts: In double murder, jury urges death for L.A.'s 'most cold-blooded killer,' who police say has slain 12. But neighbors describe him as helpful and nice. 
Johnson give Allen the Uzi used to kill Donald Ray Loggins and Payton Beroit on Aug. 5, 1991.
Johnson, 29, known as a shot-caller in one of the city's most notorious street gangs, once put out a contract on (Thomas) Mathew, the detective said. LAPD brass were concerned enough to have SWAT officers tag along with the detective.
Prosecutors contend that Johnson gave Allen an Uzi and ordered him to kill the rival gang members. Allen gunned the two men down before dozens of witnesses, they say.
Police say they conservatively estimate that Johnson has committed 12 murders. A police task force on the gang has put many members behind bars--including Johnson, who once served three years on drug charges. But Johnson's orders have penetrated prison walls, directing underlings to kill for him, authorities said.
On Aug. 5, 1991, Johnson ordered Allen to get an Uzi submachine gun and "serve" two men at a carwash at Central Avenue and 88th Street. Allen, 25, shot to death Donald Ray Loggins and Payton Beroit in broad daylight in front of more than a dozen witnesses, according to authorities. Loggins and Beroit were not gang members, but lived in rival gang turf. Johnson, 30, who authorities say killed at least a dozen people during his reign as the shot-caller of his gang, the 89 Family Bloods, declared his innocence after he was sentenced. He called police a "lynch mob" and vowed to have his conviction overturned. Johnson is also the defendant in another murder trial scheduled for February.

Jerrold Johnson
Convicted and sentenced to Death in the beating death of Ellen Salling, 76, of Kono Tayee in December 1998. The jury also found that all special circumstances charged, including burglary
in the first degree, robbery in the first degree, and carjacking in the first degree, were proven. To the burglary, robbery and carjacking charges the jury found Johnson guilty in the first degree
as charged including the commission fo these crimes against a victim over the age of 65, a special enhancement.

Joe Edward Johnson
Was sentenced to death for the beating murder of Aldo Cavallo during a burglary and robbery on July 24, 1979, and the rape of Mary S. four days later in the bathroom of a Santa Rosa church where she had gone to pray.

Laverne Johnson
On January 15, 1986, police officers and firefighters were summoned to a house fire in Daly City. Inside the house, the officers found the bodies of Maria Victoria Holmes, aged 52, and her daughter, Luisa Anna Castro, 32. The evidence indicated that two fires (one upstairs, and one downstairs) had been intentionally set, probably through the use of some flammable liquid. Victim Holmes evidently had been severely beaten and kicked. Her body showed extensive contusions and abrasions; her face was swollen and bloody. An autopsy indicated she died from 12 or more blows to her head [6 Cal.4th 15] and face. Victim Castro's body was burned beyond recognition; a large knife was found nearby. An autopsy determined, however, that she had died from strangulation; a wire was found wrapped tightly around her neck.
Further investigation revealed the following facts: Victim Holmes was a hotel manager who wore expensive jewelry and possessed an extensive collection of gold jewelry from Central America. She shared her home with her daughter, victim Castro, a nightclub security guard, who was currently dating defendant, a customer of the club. Castro also had a collection of gold jewelry and frequently boasted of it. On the night of the murders, Castro had prepared dinner for defendant at her home after they had driven her children to a babysitter. Later that evening, someone murdered the two women, stole their jewelry, and set fire to their home in an apparent attempt to cover up the crimes.
Defendant was arrested after a girlfriend, Roshaun Fuller, told police that he had admitted assaulting the women and taking their jewelry. According to Fuller, defendant stated he "knocked out" Castro and, when victim Holmes came upstairs to investigate, he knocked her down and kicked her in the head. Defendant had been seen wearing, and later pawning, some gold jewelry, although it could not positively be traced to the victims. Defendant also admitted to the investigating officers some facts regarding his relationship with Castro, including sharing dinner with her at her home on or about the night of the murders. According to defendant, he left the house after Castro had become intoxicated and fallen asleep. Although defendant denied killing the women, at one point he told the interrogating officer that, "I probably did do it, but you are not going to get me to say I did do it."

Lumord Johnson
Convicted and sentenced to Death in the murder of Camarina Lopez in Riverside's Casa Blanca neighborhood during a struggle between her boyfriend and Johnson on June 25, 1994. Co-defense attorney Frank Peasley told jurors it was a "very tragic accidental shooting" that killed Lopez. Johnson also is charged with murdering Campos during a drug-related robbery attempt in Mead Valley on Nov. 11, 1995. If Johnson is convicted as charged, his trial could continue with a second phase to determine if he gets the death penalty or life without parole. Todd Dewayne Brightmon, 33, of Moreno Valley also is charged with Campos' murder and is being tried with Johnson but by a separate jury. Brightmon was present when Lopez was killed but was not charged in that case and is not facing the death penalty, said Deputy District Attorney Richard West. Lopez, 34, knew Johnson and thought she could patch up a dispute her boyfriend, Jose Alvarez, had with Johnson, West told jurors Wednesday. The two men traded obscenities in front of a Lincoln Avenue house where Johnson often stayed. West said they had looked at each other in some provocative way that triggered the exchange. Later that day, Lopez and Alvarez returned to the residence but instead of reconciling as Lopez expected, Johnson struck Alvarez on the side of the head with a shotgun, West said. As the two men struggled for the weapon, Lopez stepped in between them and was shot in the chest. West told jurors that Johnson intended to shoot Alvarez but killing Lopez instead was still murder. When police officers arrived, the wounded Lopez told them "Lamar" had shot her, West said. She died that night in the hospital.
West explained to jurors that Lumord Johnson goes by the nicknames Lamar and Mars. Peasley said the evidence will show Johnson never intended to kill or hurt anyone but the shotgun accidentally discharged during the struggle which Alvarez provoked. But West said Johnson later bragged about killing Lopez, saying "it was easy." Johnson was arrested several months later in New Mexico under the alias of Tony Lewis Ruff. He was out of custody in November 1995 when Campos, 33, was shot to death.

Michael Raymond Johnson
Convicted and sentenced to Death in 1997 of fatally shooting Ventura County Sheriff's Deputy Peter Aguirre on July 17, 1996. The deputy was responding to a domestic disturbance call at the Meiners Oaks home of Johnson's estranged wife when Johnson shot him. Prosecutors portrayed Johnson as cold-blooded, but the defense argued he was mentally ill. His appeal has been sent directly to the state Supreme Court on allegations of prosecutorial misconduct.

Mila Johnson
A man who killed two people at a home in Harbor Gateway and permanently blinded another person was sentenced to death. Mila Johnson, 33, was convicted March 12 of two counts of first-degree murder for the Aug. 9, 2006, shooting deaths of Duane Bailey and Sonia Chandiramani, along with one count each of attempted murder and mayhem for the shooting of Glen Enriquez, who was left permanently blind and uses a guide dog. A separate jury recommended in July that Johnson be sentenced to death. The first jury deadlocked on whether to recommend death or life in prison.
Norwalk Superior Court Judge Philip H. Hikok rejected an automatic motion to reduce the jury's recommendation to life in prison without the possibility of parole, saying the aggravating circumstances in the case "absolutely warranted death." Johnson, who testified in his own defense during his trial earlier this year, told jurors that he shot Bailey and Enriquez -- friends with whom he was staying -- because he feared for his own safety after they pulled guns on him in separate encounters, moments apart. He testified that he did not intend to shoot Chandiramani.
Sentenced to Death 9/3/10.

Willie D. Johnson
Was convicted of killing Willie Womble in her Richmond home in July 1986. Johnson was tentatively identified by Womble's daughter, who was shot and wounded, and was positively identified by Duchine.
Duchine switched his story twice. He first testified against Johnson, in a 1987 trial that ended in Johnson's conviction and death sentence. But after the state Supreme Court upheld the sentence in 1992, Duchine offered a new sworn statement saying that the gunman had been Johnson's brother Timothy, a drug dealer who was shot to death in 1989.
The state Supreme Court appointed Contra Costa County Superior Court Judge Richard Patsey to look into the case. In a hearing before Patsey, Duchine returned to his trial testimony and said Willie Johnson was the killer.

Albert Jones

Bryan M. Jones
Charged with four of the San Diego killings and given the death penalty for two. He was charged with the killings on June 25, 1992, while he was serving a 22-year sentence for sexual assault at Corcoran State Prison. The suspected serial killer was returned to San Diego where he was arraigned on four counts of murder, two counts of attempted murder, and single counts of rape and sodomy. Jones is believed to have left his four victims in dumpsters within a two-block area in East San Diego.

Ernest Dwayne Jones
Shortly after midnight on August 25, 1992, in Los Angeles, Chester Miller, the father of Jones girlfriend Pam, returned home from work and noticed the family station wagon was missing from the driveway. He found his wife, Julia, lying dead at the foot of their bed. Mrs. Miller's robe was open, her nightgown was bunched above her waist, and she was naked from the waist down. A telephone cord and a purse strap had been used to tie Mrs. Miller's arms over her head, and a nightgown had been used to loosely tie her ankles together. Mrs. Miller had been gagged with two rags, one in her mouth and another around her face. Two kitchen knives were sticking out of her neck. Pieces of three other knives were found on or around her body. Jones and Millers daughter lived together.
Jones had been sentenced to death fot rhe murder, rape and robbery of Julia Miller on 04/07/1995.

Glen Jones
A death sentence was handed down today for a Wildomar man who, along with a friend, locked an 18-year-old woman in the trunk of a car for hours before strangling her for linking them to a burglary.
Glen Joseph Jones, 27, was convicted last December, along with 34-year- old Jeffree Jay Buettner, in the May 2002 slaying of Stephanie Ann Benton.
The defendants had separate juries. Buettner was sentenced to death in April.
In addition to first-degree murder, Jones' jury found true a special circumstance allegation that he had killed a witness to prevent her testimony.
The same jury recommended the death penalty, which Riverside County Superior Court Judge Christian Thierbach upheld. "Anybody who thinks sending somebody to death row is an easy task needs to think again," the judge said. "I've done it before, and I'll probably have to do it in the future."
Sentenced to Death 6/11/10.

Jeffrey G. Jones
Had been sentenced to death for 2 claw-hammer-murders in Sacramento. During a 4 day period he murdered 3 men with  a claw-hammer and injured a fourth one.

Kiongozi Jones
He fired the final salvo in the bloody gang war that gripped parts of downtown Long Beach throughout the fall and winter of 1996. Jones, 27, of Long Beach, was convicted Friday in the Dec. 6, 1996 shooting deaths of Mario Lopez, 19, and Jose Villa, 36, who were cut down in a rampage that began in the Pacific Avenue apartment of Lopez's sister. He had been sentenced to death for the murders.

Michael Lamont Jones
Convicted  of the January 21, 1989, murder of Herman Weeks and other crimes. The jury found special circumstances of felony murder, based on burglary and robbery, and returned a verdict
of death. Murder occurred during a robbery of a Domino's Pizza.

Ronald Jones
Date of offense:    10/18/1988
Date of sentence: 06/04/1991
Ronald A. Jones and George M. Trone, kidnapped Lois Haro, 26, at the mall where she had gone to buy a baby shower gift.  They drove around in her car for about an hour taking turns raping her.  They then drove to an isolated area near the Rose Bowl and shot her in the head.  Jones was sentenced to death.  Trone's jury hung in the penalty phase.  In the middle of the second penalty trial, Trone accepted a plea bargain for lwop and waive all appeals. 

Steven Anthony Jones
Convicted and sentenced to Death for the first-degree murder for Neil Hacker's November 2004 shooting death during a robbery at Critical Car Care in Quartz Hill and the December 2004 beating death of Sharon Ann Willis in a Lancaster motel room.
Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Kathleen Kennedy -- who earlier in the court session was told to "shut up" by Jones after she instructed him to be quiet -- said she hoped his apology was sincere.
"Those apologies do not make up for the horrific crimes that you committed," the judge told the defendant, noting that "the violence that you have perpetrated has spanned years and years."
Jones attributed his conduct to drugs and being on the streets at an early age, but the violence has continued since he has been in jail in connection with the murders, the judge said.
"I don't think that you are a changed person. I hope that you are, but I don't think you are," she told Jones.
Kennedy said Hacker was "basically executed" for "the purpose of obtaining a few dollars," and that Willis was attacked with a pick hammer in a "particularly violent crime" in which she apparently suffered greatly in what was not a quick death.
The judge noted that Jones was also convicted of a series of other violent crimes, which included:
-- trying to kill two other men on Dec. 12, 2004, at a Lancaster home where he had rented a room;
-- sexually assaulting a fellow inmate in concert with another prisoner at the Men's Central Jail on
    June 10, 2005;
-- battering a deputy trying to extract him from his cell following that attack; and
-- torturing and trying to kill another inmate on Dec. 20, 2005.
Sentenced to Death 8/14/09.

William Alfred Jones Jr.

Robert Jurado Jr.
The California Supreme Court unanimously upheld the death sentence imposed on a young San Diego man for the murder of a pregnant woman who may have planned to reveal a plot to kill a drug dealer. In an opinion by Justice Joyce L. Kennard, the court rejected the contention that Robert Jurado Jr.'s confrontation rights were violated when testimony given in an earlier proceeding by a key witness was admitted at his trial for the murder of Teresa Holloway.  Jurado was 20 years old when Holloway, 26, was strangled and beaten to death May 15, 1991. Her body was found in a culvert beneath Highway 163 in San Diego County two days later.  Prosecutors alleged that Jurado; his girlfriend Anna Humiston; and Denise Shigemura killed Holloway after she learned of their plan to kill Doug Mynatt. Witnesses testified that Mynatt sold methamphetamine and that his customers included Jurado and Brian Johnsen, who had been living with Holloway up until about a month before she was killed. Humiston, a 17-year-old Patrick Henry High School student at the time of the murder, became a suspect after she bragged to her friends at school that she held the victim while Jurado strangled her. Humiston was sentenced to 25 years to life in state prison, as was Shigemura, who shared an apartment with Jurado.

James Karis
On the morning of Wednesday, July 8, 1981 Karis finds himself parked in Placerville on Clay Street beneath the Highway 50 overpass. A gun sits in his lap. It is just about 10:30 a.m., and Peggy Pennington, 34, and Patty Vander Dussen, 27, two employees of the nearby El Dorado County Welfare Department, are on their daily walk around the block. He jumps out of the car. "Get in or I'll kill you," he says. He drives out to a secluded area on Rock Creek Road, halfway between Placerville and Kelsey, his dark, staring eyes keeping watch in the rearview mirror. He marches them down  to the dry, overgrown creek bed and orders them to remove their clothes. He ties  Pennington's hands with her pantyhose and rapes her. After it is over, he marches the women farther up the creek bed to a shallow depression in the ground. He orders them down into the hole and to turn their backs toward him. He shoots both women in the backs of their
heads, buries them beneath a pile of rocks and leaves them for dead. Bruised, battered and with a bullet hole in her neck, Vander Dussen miraculously survives the attack. She directs authorities to the shallow grave off Rock Creek Road, where Pennington is declared dead at the scene. Police, tipped off by Karis' parole officer, apprehend the suspect in Sonoma County one week later.

Jimmy Dale Kelley
A Yucca Valley man who admitted murdering 3 people while robbing a drug dealer and later told jurors that he would probably give himself the death penalty was sentenced Friday to the state's highest punishment. Jimmy Dale Kelley Jr. appeared in San Bernardino Superior Court for sentencing in the January 2004 shooting death of drug connection Patty Crevoisier, 49, and two men who were laying carpet in her Yucca Valley home, William Landers, 43, and Ward Phillips, 37. Kelley, 42, pleaded guilty to the murders Nov. 10, and a jury later determined that he should receive the death penalty instead of spending the rest of his life in prison. On Friday, Judge Brian McCarville affirmed the jury's verdicts and sentenced Kelley to die by lethal injection or other means prescribed by state law. "It is the order of this court that you shall suffer the death penalty," McCarville said.  Authorities say Kelley shot all three victims with a .25-caliber handgun, slit the throats of the two men and wrapped a copper wire around Crevoisier's head. A co-defendant, Kimberlly Michaud, acted as a lookout. Court testimony revealed that the pair had planned to rob Crevoisier and fled with $20 and a small amount of drugs. After a few days on the run, a tip helped authorities track down Kelley and Michaud in Kern County. Kelley pleaded guilty to the murders and his other charges, and special circumstances at a court hearing in November. Prosecutors moved forward with the penalty phase of his trial, and a jury decided on June 28 that Kelley should be executed.
Sentenced to Death 8/13/10.

Douglas Oliver Kelly
Convicted and sentenced to Death in the 1993 first degree murder of 19-year old Sara Weir while he was in the course of raping and robbing her. After the penalty phase, the jury recommended the death sentence and the court imposed that sentence. The evidence showed that defendant stabbed Sara to death with a pair of scissors in his girlfriend's apartment. Several days after the killing, defendant's girlfriend's tenyear-old son discovered the body, nude and wrapped in a blanket, under his bed. A few days before he killed Sara, defendant raped another woman in the same apartment, using the same scissors to threaten her. Later he assaulted his girlfriend in the same apartment. The prosecution also presented evidence that defendant raped three other women in previous years, some of whom he also robbed.

Horace Kelly
Horace Kelly was sentenced 06/25/1986  for the murders of 25-year-old Sonia Reed on 11/16/1984, who was found Nude from the waist down, with her bra unfastened, the victim had been raped before she was shot in the chest and neck with a .357 magnum revolver. 42-year-old Ursula Houser shot twice from behind with a .357, the victim had then been dragged 35 feet to concealment, where the gunman finished his assault by raping her corpse.  Danny Osentowski, an 11-year-old boy who came to the rescue of his cousin when she was being kidnapped by Kelly on Thanksgiving Day in Riverside.

Darryl Kemp
Darryl Kemp, 72, was charged in 2003 with murder and an allegation that the killing occurred during a sexual assault in the slaying of Armida Wiltsey. He was charged after the Contra Costa Sheriff's Office matched skin collected from under the victim's nails to Kemp's DNA. Prosecutors said Wiltsey was attacked on Nov. 14, 1978, while jogging at the Lafayette reservoir. Four month earlier, Kemp had been released from San Quentin, where he was on death row for two rapes and a murder in Southern California in the 1950s. He was one of more than 100 inmates whose death sentences were commuted to life with the possibility of parole after the U.S. Supreme Court in 1972 deemed capital punishment unconstitutional. Sentenced to Death 6/26/09.

Jerry Kennedy
Convicted and sentenced to death in the 1993 murder of Glenn Chambers from Oregon at a rest top. Around 4:30 a.m. on March 15, 1993, Janet Madsen and her friend Jay Blaylock were in a car parked under a light at Maxwell's Rest Stop off Interstate 5 in Colusa County. Madsen, who was asleep in the passenger seat, was awakened by the sound of a gunshot coming from the restrooms located 50 to 60 feet from the car. She saw a man come out from the men's side of the restroom, walk briskly down a sidewalk directly towards her, get into a car two parking spaces away from her on her right, and leave. During this time, Madsen was "locked in eye-to-eye contact with this man." Madsen then saw a man stagger out of the men's restroom and collapse. As she ran towards the man to try to help him, Blaylock called the police on his cellular phone. Sheriff Deputy Randy Morton arrived five minutes later. Morton ran over to the victim, who was breathing but unable to speak, and radioed for help. When the emergency rescue team arrived approximately 10 minutes later, the victim had stopped breathing.

John F. Kennedy
Convicted and sentenced to Death 5/09 in the 2004 murders of Tom and Jackie Hawks. Fitzgerald helped ringleader Skylar Deleon and Alonso Machain deceive Tom and Jackie Hawks into letting them on their boat under the ruse they were going to buy it before they attacked the retirees and hurled them overboard tied to an anchor to drown them.

Eric B. Kimble
Broke into a home in the Doheny Estates area of Los Angeles and murdered the couple who lived there.

Martin Kipp
Convcted andsentenced to death for the September 1983 murder of Tiffany Frizzell. Frizzell was found, strangled and apparently raped, in her room at the Long Beach Ramada Inn where she was staying  while waiting for her college dormitory to open for the fall term. Convicted and sentenced to death in the December 30. 1983 murder of  Antaya Yvette Howard.
William Kirkpatrick Jr.
Convicted and sentenced to Death of killing two workers at a Burbank Taco Bell in 1983. L. Wayne Hunter, 27, and James Falconio, 16, were each shot once in the head with a .22-caliber bullet, and $625 was missing from the safe and cash register. An accomplice, Eddie Salazar, was convicted of first-degree murder and received a sentence of 25 years to life. Kirkpatrick's criminal record before that consisted of misdemeanor convictions for drunken driving and receiving stolen property.

Randolph Kling
Ventura County Superior Court Judge Rebecca Riley sentenced the ex-convict to death for the 2003 murder of Michael Budfuloski, 31, of Simi Valley, five months after Kling murdered the victim's father, businessman William "Bill" Budfuloski, 53, of Simi Valley.
For the first killing, the judge sentenced the San Bernardino County man to prison for 35 years to life. In June, a Ventura County jury recommended that Kling should be executed for shooting and killing the two men. Jurors had found Kling guilty of the double homicide, animal cruelty and other felonies, including possessing a silencer.
Sentenced to Death 2/26/10.

Kim Raymond Kopatz
Convicted and sentenced to death in the 1999 strangulation slayings of his wife and 3-year-old daughter for insurance money. The verdicts brought sobs from the audience. Kopatz's immediate family and his wife's relatives were at opposite sides of the courtroom. Kopatz, 48, of Riverside, slowly shook his head and talked to his lawyer. Prosecutor William Mitchell used mostly circumstantial evidence to prove that Kopatz used an electrical cord to strangle his wife Mary, 35, and daughter, Carley, and then tried to make the murders appear to be random attacks by a robber, rapist or some other vicious stranger.

Randy Kraft
Randy Kraft "Score Card Killer" a soft-spoken computer programmer, was convicted and sentenced to death in 11/29/1989 for strangling 16 hitchhikers, mostly from Orange County, after drugging and sexually assaulting them. He is on death row at San Quentin. His killing spree ended in 1983 when police pulled over his car in Mission Viejo and found a dead Marine in the passenger seat. Photographs of some of his victims and a handwritten, coded "death list" were also found in his car, suggesting he may have killed as many as 65.His victims were; Edward Daniel Moore,Roland Young,Lance Tagg, Michael O'Fallon,Michael Cluck,Ron Wiebe,Scott Hughes,Richard Keith,Keith Crotwell Mark Hall, Robert Loggins,Jeffrey Bryan Sayre,Don Crisel,Michael Inderbeiten,Geoff Nelson, and "John Doe"

Rex Allen Krebs
Rex Allen Krebs, a previously convicted sex offender was sentenced 07/21/2001 for the brutal rapes and murders in 1998 of Rachel Newhouse, 20, a student at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, and Aundria Crawford, a 20-year-old student at nearby Cuesta College.

Go Up