Nebraska Death Penalty News

Started by Jeff1857, March 14, 2008, 12:03:42 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

frythem76

i hope they actually carry this out.  this nasty sick SOB does should have been executed long ago!

AnneTheBelgian

I have found this article :

http://www.dailynebraskan.com/a-e/nebraskans-against-the-death-penalty-to-host-benefit-concert-1.2726004#.T39In9V4pOY

Nebraskans Against the Death Penalty to host benefit concert

By Shelby Fleig

Published: Thursday, April 5, 2012

Updated: Friday, April 6, 2012 01:04

First Friday in Lincoln is for art, music and drinks. But this Friday, it's also for social justice.

Nebraskans Against the Death Penalty is holding its first benefit event tonight at The Bourbon Theatre. NADP looks to raise money and awareness for their fight against the death penalty in Nebraska with silent auctions, art raffles and donations.

"The death penalty is not helpful to victims because it doesn't provide the closure that's promised," said Stacy Anderson, executive director of NADP. "It often takes many, many years before the execution takes place and the risk of executing an innocent person is just too high. We are working to replace the death penalty with life in prison without parole."

After a NADP volunteer contacted the Bourbon to set up the event, the venue was eager to get involved.

"The Bourbon has always taken an active roll in the community and have done as much as we can for local nonprofits," said Spencer Munson, media director and talent buyer at the Bourbon. "We also have been working on building our role in the First Friday scene."

Local artists and musicians approached NADP and The Bourbon to support the cause. Volunteers include funk headliner Satchel Grande, and music by Toasted Ponies, Inflect, DJesse, Owlsley, State Street Jump and John Klemm & the Party and they will play from 6 p.m. to 2 a.m. There will be a brief interruption in the music at 7:30 p.m. for a NADP speaker.

"We suggested that Curtis McCarty also come and speak. He has a compelling story of the innocence piece that proves it's (the death penalty) just too risky," Anderson said.

McCarty spent 19 years on death row for a 1982 Oklahoma City murder he didn't commit. McCarty was sentenced based on testimonies and forensic evidence provided by analyst Joyce Gilchrist. Gilchrist was later found guilty of lab misconduct and at least two other cases he worked on were overturned.

"This is a chance for students to be active in their community as well as learn about much of the local art and music," said Munson. "The death penalty is a controversial but important topic that the college community needs to be informed and aware of."

Anderson said she encourages young people to come participate in the art raffles and silent auctions (you do not have to be present to win) and inform themselves on important issues.

"This is a fun venue to deal with a tough topic," she said. "I feel like a lot of people have not thought much about the death penalty and this is a great opportunity to come and learn more about it, specifically how it's not helpful to Nebraskans."

::) ::) Yeeeeaaaahhhh folks...very interesting... 8) 8)

Anne

"DEATH PENALTY OPPONENTS WHO TWIST THE TRUTH TO PROTECT KILLERS ARE ALSO TORTURING VICTIMS FAMILIES" (PETER BRONSON, CINCINNATI ENQUIRER,FEBRUARY 3, 2003)

PRO DEATH PENALTY AND PROUD OF IT !!!

JE MAINTIENDRAI (MOTTO OF WILLIAM I THE SILENT, PRINCE OF ORANGE, 1533 - 1584, MOTTO OF THE NETHERLANDS)

DEO JUVANTE (MOTTO OF THE PRINCIPALITY OF MONACO)

PROUD TO BE BELGIAN !!! I LOVE MY KINGDOM !!!

JTiscool

I don't want to live in this world anymore  :-[
My reason for supporting the death penalty? A murderer has less of a right to live than his victim and already presents a danger while incarcerated for life. They have nothing to lose when the most they can get is Life in prison without parole.

Jase

I have found this article :

http://www.dailynebraskan.com/a-e/nebraskans-against-the-death-penalty-to-host-benefit-concert-1.2726004#.T39In9V4pOY

Anne

In the interests of fairness (we did advertise it here) I think they should allow an off2dr stall at the 'protest' we could do a silent auction as well lets see who can put up what ... I have a big bottle of dish water they can have!!!! Ohh maybe my dogs have something they would let me put up as well...

You never see pro - protests (pis a pro protest a double positive that becomes a negative or is it just a pro pro pro)
I have the best job in the world. I work all day as a dog trainer, helping people understand that their dog responds to positive reward based training, and that we can find a way to make your relationship with you dog fun and enjoyable for the BOTH of you!!! I train people to train dogs to love life!!!!

JTiscool

I would love there to be an off2dr booth. It would be about time we educate people. People have a right to see the facts. What I wish to have Off2dr testify at every death penalty debate.
My reason for supporting the death penalty? A murderer has less of a right to live than his victim and already presents a danger while incarcerated for life. They have nothing to lose when the most they can get is Life in prison without parole.

turboprinz

Cult murderer's death row appeal denied, but execution in limbo

LINCOLN -- For the fifth time, convicted cult murderer Michael Ryan has lost an appeal to overturn his death sentence.

But the ruling Friday by the Nebraska Supreme Court hardly moves Ryan's case any closer to an execution.

The state since February has lacked one key drug needed to carry out a lethal injection execution under its current protocol.

And while several states have switched their drugs and protocols, Nebraska officials Friday remained hazy on their strategy for restoring a legal means to carry out the death penalty in the state.

As she did in February, Dawn-Renee Smith, a spokeswoman for the Nebraska Department of Correctional Services, said the department lacks the necessary chemicals "at this time" to carry out an execution.

But, Smith added, "The department is working to identify the specific steps we will take to be prepared to carry out a court-ordered execution."

She declined to say whether that meant Nebraska would be seeking to change its three-drug execution protocol -- an administrative step that would require a public hearing and take several months to complete -- or whether the state was seeking other means to restore the death penalty.

It's frustrating, said Madison County Attorney Joe Smith, a supporter of capital punishment. Smith obtained death sentences for three men involved in a botched bank robbery in Norfolk in 2002 that left five dead.

"There's a lot of other states that have lethal injection protocols that work," he said Friday. "I know it's not impossible because other states are doing it."

Executions are on the rise in the United States this year, according to the New York City-based Death Penalty Information Center, which reports that more than 20 states have changed or have announced a change in their lethal injection protocols.

The center said 17 executions have been carried out so far this year, compared to 39 during all of 2013.

But an official with Nebraskans for Alternatives to the Death Penalty said that the "extreme" steps the state has taken to obtain its lethal injection drugs leaves even some capital punishment supporters uneasy.

"I think everyone is sort of looking around, and they can see the writing on the wall that the death penalty is on the way out," said Stacy Anderson, the group's executive director.

A majority of Nebraska state senators supported repeal of the death penalty a year ago but lacked a super-majority to stop a filibuster against the idea.

States with a death penalty have been scrambling in recent years because of the declining availability of sodium thiopental, a key drug used in lethal injections. The only U.S. manufacturer quit making it, a key Swiss manufacturer quit selling it for use in executions, and snags developed in importing other supplies from other foreign makers.

In Ryan's most recent appeal, he challenged the state's purchase of a supply of sodium thiopental from a third-party broker who allegedly stole it. He also challenged the legality of changing the state's means of carrying out the death penalty from electrocution to lethal injection in 2009.

But the Nebraska Supreme Court ruled Friday that Ryan could not challenge the method of execution in a post-conviction appeal. The court upheld a ruling by Richardson County District Judge Daniel Bryan, who had dismissed Ryan's motion without looking into the issues surrounding the state's supply of sodium thiopental.

Ryan, 65, was the leader of a survivalist religious cult that lived on a farm near Rulo, Neb. He would be among the first in line for an execution once the state resolves its death penalty drug issue.

Ryan was sentenced to death for first-degree murder for ordering the 1985 torture and killing of James Thimm, 25, one of his followers. Ryan also pleaded no contest to second-degree murder in the killing of 5-year-old Luke Stice, the son of another cult member.

Attorney General Jon Bruning, in a prepared statement, said he was pleased that "the court turned away Michael Ryan's latest attempt to thwart justice."

"Michael Ryan committed one of the most brutal murders in our nation's history and he deserves to be put to death," Bruning said.

When asked to comment on what he planned to do to restore the use of the death penalty, a spokeswoman for Bruning referred The World-Herald to the Department of Corrections.

Jim Mowbray, one of Ryan's attorneys, said he is considering an appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court to resolve the uncertainty over the correct procedure for a death-row inmate to legally challenge the means of execution.

Friday's state court ruling, Mowbray said, left that question unanswered.

He said that because the state's supply of sodium thiopental has expired, his client's challenge of its quality and how it was obtained is probably moot.

If a new execution protocol was adopted in Nebraska, it would open new avenues for appeal and for more delays, said Anderson, the death-penalty opponent.

"People are learning more about the death penalty and that it's a failed public policy," she said. "It's not working the way we thought it would."

Richard Dieter, of the Death Penalty Information Center, said Friday that despite a high level of frustration among states in obtaining drugs for lethal injections, no states have dropped capital punishment solely for that reason.

Three states -- Maryland, Connecticut and Illinois -- have repealed the death penalty in recent years; 32 states and the federal government still have it.

Dieter said that Ohio and Florida are now planning to use a new sedative, midazolam, as the first drug administered in lethal injections.

Several states have switched to using pentobarbital. But that drug caused an Oklahoma inmate to cry out that his whole body was "burning" during an execution in January, raising questions about its effectiveness.

In Tennessee, the difficulty in finding the necessary drugs has prompted both houses of the Legislature to pass a bill allowing the state to revert to electrocution if necessary.

Nebraska has not carried out an execution since 1997, when the state's method was electrocution. The Nebraska Supreme Court has since ruled the electric chair unconstitutionally cruel and unusual punishment.

http://www.omaha.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20140418/NEWS/140418360
I apologize for my not perfect English. Hopefully you understand what I mean. If not - ask me. I will try to explain.

Rick4404

As I recall, Nebraska's death penalty statutes do not specify the drugs that are to be used in an execution. It merely states:

"83-964. Sentence of death; how enforced.
A sentence of death shall be enforced by the intravenous injection of a substance or substances in a quantity sufficient to cause death. The lethal substance or substances shall be administered in compliance with an execution protocol created and maintained by the Department of Correctional Services."

It appears to give the state Department of Correctional Services the sole authority to determine the substance or substances that will be used for an execution.  However, the death penalty protocol does specify the drugs that are to be used.  That appears to be the sticking point.  Indeed, if the Department found it necessary to change the protocol, it's a process that would take months in that Nebraska is an open government state; and such changes to the protocol would be considered changes to an administrative regulation.  Such changes require a period of public comment as well as a public hearing before the changes can be considered final.  Also, the governor would need to sign off on the changes. 

Nebraska hasn't had much luck maintaining a supply of the lethal drugs in that its first supply of sodium thiopental was seized by the Federal Drug Enforcement Agency, in that it was imported from overseas and the state lacked the proper permits to import the drug.

Could the state of Nebraska reinstate the use of the electric chair?  Well, I'm no legal expert, but given the Nebraska Supreme Court's decision in 2008 which declared the use of the electric chair in an execution to be cruel and unusual punishment, in violation of the Nebraska Constitution; I would lean towards thinking the state could not do so -- unless the corrections department could convince the supreme court that using the electric chair was not cruel and unusual punishment.  The Legislature would have to pass appropriate legislation to reintroduce the electric chair, and the governor would have to sign it into law.  It's a process that could take years.  Although the Legislature meets annually in Lincoln; it is unique in that the legislature is the only one-house legislature in the country and as such, the legislative process in Nebraska has each bill or resolution go through two separate rounds of debate and votes before a bill comes up for final reading and a final vote taken before it goes on to the governor.  Some bills take upwards of two legislative sessions to go through the process completely. 

Go Up