Death Penalty Discussion
I would like to find a female penpal and maybe a female to fall in love with.

Random image
Administrators Login



Lost Password?

Register now!
  • Yearly view
  • Monthly view
  • Daily view
Darryl Durr - Ohio Death Row - Scheduled Execution
Scheduled Executions
Upcoming Executions
Start : Wednesday 21 April 2010, 2:00
End : Wednesday 21 April 2010, 2:00

Darryl Durr - Ohio Death Row - Execution set for April 20, 2010

Victims: Angel Vincent
The Crime: Here's the facts of Durr's case from his direct appeal to the Ohio Supreme Court:

On January 31, 1988, at approximately 10:50 p.m., Norma Jean O’Nan and her husband returned to their home in Elyria and discovered the front door unlocked, the lights and television on, and their sixteen-year-old daughter, Angel Vincent, missing. Only twenty minutes earlier, Mrs. O’Nan had spoken with her daughter by telephone to learn that Angel’s girlfriend, Deborah Mullins, was at her home and that Deborah’s boyfriend, appellant Darryl Durr, was expected to arrive later in the evening. That was the last chance Mrs. O’Nan would have to speak to her daughter alive.

Mrs. O’Nan testified that Angel was wearing a hot pink sweater, a light pink and white checkered blouse, hot pink pants, and white tennis shoes when she and her husband left Angel home alone on the evening of January 31, 1988. After notifying the Elyria Police of Angel’s disappearance, Mrs. O’Nan searched her home to determine if any of Angel’s belongings were missing. Although Angel’s pink pants were found, Mrs. O’Nan’s search revealed the following items missing: an old lavender blanket with a hole in the center, a pair of black acid-washed denim jeans, Angel’s pink and white checkered blouse, light blue eyeglasses that Angel wore only in her home, a jean jacket that Angel had borrowed from a friend, an Avon necklace with an “A” charm attached, a small chain bracelet, an Avon slip-on bracelet, an inexpensive rhinestone ring and a dog chain that hung from her mirror. Mrs. O’Nan also discovered Angel’s handbag stuffed under her bed.

Three or four days later, Mrs. O’Nan confronted Deborah Mullins and the appellant regarding the disappearance of her daughter, and was told by the appellant that “you know how kids are, she probably ran away.”

On April 30, 1988, three boys noticed a foul odor coming from two orange traffic barrels while playing in Brookside Park. The barrels and been placed open end to open end, and were underneath a railroad tie. Upon separating the barrels, the boys discovered a severely decomposed female body that had been wrapped in a dirty old blanket. A portion of a leg was visible through a large hole in the blanket.

A deputy coroner testified that the only clothing found on the victim was a pink sweater and a pair of white tennis shoes. The pink sweater had been pushed up well above the victim’s breast area. An initial external examination determined the body to be that of a young white female, who was in an advanced state of decomposition. The body was heavily infested with maggots and the body’s eyes and ears had been lost. There was also prominent evidence of animal activity about the inguinal and vulval regions of the body, and in and about the thighs. According to the deputy coroner, the decomposition was consistent with three months exposure.

After examining the body, the deputy coroner concluded that the cause of death was homicidal violence. Since the body was so badly decomposed, the deputy coroner could not determine whether ligature marks, scrapes or tears indicating strangulation were present. There was no damage noted to the internal cartilaginous structures of the neck. The deputy coroner declined, however, to rule out strangulation as a cause of death since damage to these structures is not always present in young strangulation victims due to the flexibility of these structures. In addition, because the body was so severely infested with bacteria, testing for the presence of acid phosphates and spermatozoa was inconclusive.

In September, 1988, after appellant was arrested for two unrelated rapes, Deborah Mullins revealed her knowledge of Angel’s disappearance to the Cleveland Police Department. As the result of her information, an ankle X-ray obtained from Elyria Memorial Hospital, and dental records, the body discovered in Brookside Park was determined to be that of Angel Vincent.

At trial, Deborah Mullins testified that on the evening Angel disappeared Deborah had asked the appellant to drive to the house of one of Angel’s friends to retrieve a package of cigarettes for Angel. Appellant agreed and left. Shortly thereafter, appellant returned to Deborah’s house and, instead of entering through the front door, began throwing stones at her upstairs bedroom window and blew his car horn for her to come out. Deborah and her baby, who had been fathered by the appellant, left the house and entered the appellant’s car where the appellant brandished a knife toward both of them.

As the appellant was driving, Deborah heard noises from the back seat and after turning around discovered Angel bound on the rear floorboard.

According to Deborah’s testimony, Angel was wearing black acid-washed denim jeans, a jean jacket, and tennis shoes when she was last seen in the back of appellant’s car.

When Deborah asked the appellant why Angel was bound in his car, the appellant responded that he intended to “waste” her because “she would tell.” He never revealed just what Angel was going to tell.

After threatening the life of both Deborah and his baby, the appellant let Deborah out of his car. He returned to her home three or four hours later. Upon returning, appellant told Deborah that he had “wasted” Angel and that she should pack her things because they were leaving.

Appellant drove Deborah and their baby to his wife’s, Janice Durr’s, Cleveland apartment. After dropping Deborah and the baby off, the appellant left with a duffle bag containing two shovels.

When appellant returned, he was wet and covered with snow. Upon entering the room, appellant placed a ring and bracelet that belonged to Angel on a coffee table. As he was falling asleep, appellant told Deborah that he had strangled Angel with a dog chain until she “pissed, pooped and shit and made a few gurgling sounds,” took her body to a park, wrapped it in a blanket, placed it between two construction cones, and left her by some railroad tracks.

Later that day or the next day, appellant burned a bag of clothing in the basement of Janice Durr’s apartment building and asked Deborah to model the black acid-washed jeans that Angel had worn on the evening of her abduction.

The appellant then drove Deborah, Janice Durr and his children to the west side of Cleveland where he burned another bag of items, and while driving from Cleveland toward Elyria, the appellant threw Angel’s jean jacket out the car window.

After arriving at Deborah’s home in Elyria, Deborah’s mother informed her that Mrs. O’Nan had come over and inquired about Deborah’s knowledge of Angels’s disappearance. Deborah testified that appellant threatened her and their baby’s life and instructed her to tell Mrs. O’Nan that Angel had been talking about running away. Deborah also testified that the appellant took her and their baby to Edgewater Park where the appellant threw Angel’s glasses over a cliff into the lake. A month or so later, while driving past the Cleveland Zoo, appellant pointed to a location and said, “Over there.” When Deborah questioned his statement, the appellant replied, “You know what I am talking about.”

State v. Durr, 568 N.E.2d 674, 676-8 (Ohio 1991).

LUCASVILLE, Ohio — The state of Ohio has executed Darryl Durr of Elyria, who was convicted of raping and strangling a 16-year-old girl in 1988.

Durr died by injection at 10:36 a.m. at the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility.

In the hours before his execution, Durr received a few visitors -- his lawyers, a spiritual adviser and a friend -- and spoke to a woman he calls his wife several times on the phone, Ohio Department of Rehabilitation Correction Spokeswoman Julie Walburn said at a media briefing this morning.

Prison staff said Durr, 46, was cooperative but increasingly anxious before the execution, Walburn said. Durr declined to eat or drink in observance of a religious fast since arriving at the prison on Monday.

The U.S. 6th Circuit Court of Appeals rejected his last-minute attempts to halt the execution Monday. Gov. Ted Strickland denied Durr clemency, and the U.S. Supreme Court late Monday refused to hear his case.

Durr had been seeking DNA testing of a necklace belonging to the victim, said his lawyer, Dennis Sipe. Durr also argued, in separate lawsuits, that the state cannot administer the drugs used in the lethal injection without a prescription, and that he is allergic to anesthesia.

Durr, 46, was the 37th Ohio inmate executed at the prison's "Death House" in Lucasville since 1999. He was put on death row for the kidnapping, rape and murder of Angel Vincent, 16, of Elyria.

Durr strangled Angel with a dog chain on Jan. 31 or Feb.1 and hid her body inside two construction cones, placed end to end, in a ravine near Denison Avenue and Fulton Road. Boys playing in the area discovered Angel's body three months later.

Durr had been dating and living with Angel's friend and neighbor, Deborah Mullins, who was a year or two older than Angel.

Angel was home alone the night of Jan. 31 when she asked Mullins to go to another girlfriend's house to get her jean jacket containing a pack of cigarettes. Mullins testified in court that she went back to her home two doors down and told Durr, who was 24 at the time, to get the cigarettes.

Durr returned 15 minutes later and began throwing rocks at Mullins' window and honking his car horn. Mullins and the baby she had with Durr got into his car, and Mullins saw Angel tied up in the back. Durr pulled a knife on Mullins and their baby and said he was going to kill Angel "so she wouldn't tell," Mullins testified.

After a short drive, Durr dropped Mullins back off at their home. He returned three to four hours later without Angel. The teenager was presumed missing until Mullins talked to police eight months later, after Durr was arrested for raping two other girls, 14 and 18.

Durr's history of violence -- at 18, he stabbed a woman in the stomach during an argument over $2 worth of gas -- is one reason the Ohio Adult Parole Authority in September unanimously recommended that Strickland deny clemency.

No motive for the killing was offered in court, but Angel's mother, Norma Godsey, later told the parole board that Durr was obsessed with her daughter.

Durr, however, told the parole board that he never left Mullins' house when she asked him to get Angel's cigarettes. He also denied raping the other two teenagers, even though he pleaded guilty to those crimes. There was no physical evidence used against Durr in court because Angel's body was decomposed.

Last Meal: None. Durr Fasted.

Final Statement:
To the Vincent family, who are here I believe, and believe I killed your daughter, I'm truly sorry you feel that way. Having felt that way myself the last few years I can empathize."
"I had hoped the DNA testing would put to rest that I did not kill your daughter, but that's not going to happen."
To his mother, who did not attend the execution, he said, "I want to make you proud, mom. I go out in peace."
He said of his common-law wife, "I'll see her in the next life."

Discussion here...

The comments are owned by the poster. We aren't responsible for their content.
Poster Thread